PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/10

chicoruiz
05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Reds:

Pete Schourek (43) -18-7, 3.22 for the 1995 Reds. He was the pitcher on the mound when John McSherry died.

Others:

Matt Tuiasosopo (26) -His father and his brother played in the NFL, but Matt was too smart for that. I remember that when old scouts tried to talk a prospect into playing baseball instead of football, they'd say "What do you want to have when you get old, bonus money or a limp?".

Robby Thompson (50) -Played 1304 games in the majors, all for the Giants. And he used the same fielder's glove for almost his entire career. I couldn't find a picture of it, but his teammates said that in the last few years it was indescribably grotty...

Ken Berry (71) -Not the star of "Mayberry RFD", the good-glove center fielder for the 1960s White Sox. He served as a technical advisor on the film "Eight Men Out".

Jim Hickman (75) -Started his career with the infamous 1962 Mets. Hit the last home run in the Polo Grounds. Was the last of the Mets from Opening Day 1962 to still be with the club. Played on the 1969 Cubs team that blew a big lead. Had a huge year in 1970, winning Comeback Player of the Year. When Rose made his famous play bowling over Ray Fosse, Hickman was the hitter.

Chippy McGarr -A 19th-century infielder; I don't know anything about him, but the name "Chippy McGarr" is irresistable...

cumberlandreds
05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Jim Hickman and Billy WIlliams were about the only two Cub players that Leo Durocher seemed to like much at all. Of course Durocher had problems getting along with a lot of people.

Bob Borkowski
05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Pete Schourek (43) -18-7, 3.22 for the 1995 Reds. He was the pitcher on the mound when John McSherry died.

Schourek was only 7 pitches into the game when McSherry collapsed. He was the starting pitcher again the next day in the makeup game and got the win. By the way, I recently saw a list of Reds opening day starters and a couple of them (even before my time) had great names: Orval Overall and Pink Hawley. Ah, yes, baseball players names, reminds me of 'Who's on First?'