PDA

View Full Version : Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

Rojo
05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/mlb-poised-pick-off-1st-3rd-trick-move-151837297--mlb.html

Major League Baseball is poised to pick off the much-maligned move, the fake-to-third, throw-to-first ploy that often succeeds only in getting the whole ballpark to shout "Balk!"

First, I've never seen this work. Second, the reason it never works is that pitchers rarely throw a pick off to third base, unless they catch the runner breaking for home.

I don't know why this would bother anyone. How about limiting the pick-off throws to any base? That would actually speed up the game.

Chip R
05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
It works every once in a blue moon - as the article says - despite what Marty says. I don't see what the big deal is about this rule.

cumberlandreds
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I've seen it work. But it is rare. If they want to ban it, it would be fine with me. It usually just delays the game.

MasonBuzz3
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when-

(c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base;

maybe they could start enforcing this one in regards to LHP throwing over to 1st. Seems like that would be more deceptive than this. Just trying to speed up the game, again

05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
It usually is used to see if the other team has some sort of play on. it rarely is used to actually pick off a runner.

reds1869
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I think the rule should stay as is. The pitcher has every right to hold runners on base no matter how much it annoys the crowd. Unless you are going to ban base stealing, squeeze plays and the hit and run you have to allow the pitcher to hold runners and sniff out plays.

Rojo
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't see the point. Sum total, it probably delays playtime less than balls getting loose from the bullpen.

And it's a quirky move that gets the crowd into the game. Leave it.

powersackers
05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't see the point. Sum total, it probably delays playtime less than balls getting loose from the bullpen.

This

Hap
05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Sometimes they do it to see if the offense will tip off the bunt or the steal.

mth123
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM

:thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Plus it gives Marty something to get worked up about. :laugh:

Roy Tucker
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Yup.

MLB must be really bored if this is on their agenda.

RANDY IN INDY
05-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I would rather see them enforce the strikezone as it is defined.

westofyou
05-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Rules are so malleable, they use to change rules regularly and the public as unaware unless they had the Spalding Catalog

Peruse around his site:

Spalding Baseball (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/spaldinghtml/spaldinghome.html)

1888 69 rules in the rule book

SIXTY Nine!!

Go here - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp

Download that monster with ten sections (with up to 20 Sub rules)

It's an evolving thing... and as randy stated... work on the strike zone, that's the HEART of the hitters game, the distance and the mound rules (area, motion, pitches,substances) is the pitchers realm... mess with either of those two aspects and the game will change, change the aforementioned 3rd to 1st.... three years later no one thinks of it

I'd like the game to go on hold and see which part needs adjustment, there is no right strike zone, or motion rule... the results of seasons will define the reality when the rules are made.

RANDY IN INDY
05-10-2012, 10:40 PM
The strike zone has been interesting here in Indiana High School Baseball. Pretty consistent for 5 innings and then it magically shrinks.

Joseph
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I think its not necessary to ban it. Its not used all that often.

George Anderson
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
The strike zone has been interesting here in Indiana High School Baseball. Pretty consistent for 5 innings and then it magically shrinks.

They are obviously doing it wrong.

The later the game goes, the sooner I want to go home, so the bigger the zone gets. ;)

Give me names and I will straighten them out. :beerme:

westofyou
05-10-2012, 10:50 PM

The later the game goes, the sooner I want to go home, so the bigger the zone gets. ;)

TEAM!

RANDY IN INDY
05-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Yeah, that's what we are usually used to, George. Been kinda crazy of late. Lot of younger guys.

George Anderson
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah, that's what we are usually used to, George. Been kinda crazy of late. Lot of younger guys.

It will get better as he advances. Brownsburg as a rule usually gets good umps but even at the freshman level, your gonna get newbies.

kaldaniels
05-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Its worth keeping it just so I can have a good laugh once a year at the guy who falls for it.

RedFanAlways1966
05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
This is so important... unlike a DH in one league and not the other, the AS Game winner allows the team that represents their league getting homefield advantage in the WS (and the DH used part time in the WS), a strike zone the size of a soup can, etc. Take care of this before anything else! The game depends on it.

oneupper
05-11-2012, 10:06 AM
This is so important... unlike a DH in one league and not the other, the AS Game winner allows the team that represents their league getting homefield advantage in the WS (and the DH used part time in the WS), a strike zone the size of a soup can, etc. Take care of this before anything else! The game depends on it.

:thumbup:

redsmetz
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM

When my son was playing Little League, we had a new kid umping and he was calling all sorts of things strikes, most out of the zone. The young umpire said to me, when I questioned them, they should be swinging at those. I asked how my kids were supposed to learn the strike zone when he was making calls like that. Then he called the shortest kid on the team out on a third strike that easily was 4-5 inches over his head. I just laughed and said something akin to, "Son, that won't be a strike on him for another five years."

OldRightHander
05-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Plus it gives Marty something to get worked up about. :laugh:

That doesn't take much.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Check out this fake pickoff throw that worked in a HS game. I've never seen anything quite like it. Just about every position player on the field sold the fake perfectly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/minnesota-baseball-team-pulls-off-terrific-trick-play-104518770.html

CySeymour
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM

What is it in the water out there in Browsburg...that plays seems like a baseball gold mine over the years!

RANDY IN INDY
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Check out this fake pickoff throw that worked in a HS game. I've never seen anything quite like it. Just about every position player on the field sold the fake perfectly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/minnesota-baseball-team-pulls-off-terrific-trick-play-104518770.html

I've seen that one several times over the years and have never seen it work. Matter of fact, we've seen it so much that we always warn our kids about it.

traderumor
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/minnesota-baseball-team-pulls-off-terrific-trick-play-104518770.htmlSomeone needs to teach the catcher how to make a tag. The head tag can start a brawl.

Bumstead
05-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Someone needs to teach the catcher how to make a tag. The head tag can start a brawl.

So can the late slide, which induced the head tag. Maybe teach that kid how to slide first...

Bumstead
05-30-2012, 02:04 PM
It will get better as he advances. Brownsburg as a rule usually gets good umps but even at the freshman level, your gonna get newbies.

I'm a newbie, but I agree with George, I want to go home the later the game goes. I find coaches complain more as the games go on regardless of what you are actually calling. Their pitchers are starting to get tired and they are missing outside by 6" but now that is supposed to be a strike...in some games it may be but is it now different from the first inning? I find coach's memories to be interesting studies... :p

Bum

RANDY IN INDY
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
What is it in the water out there in Browsburg...that plays seems like a baseball gold mine over the years!

:confused: Not following.

SunDeck
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I personally love the play. It reminds me that even players at the highest level will resort to knothole tactics.

CySeymour
05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
:confused: Not following.

It says you're from Browsburg, and they always seem to have quite a bit of baseball talent out there.

RANDY IN INDY
05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
It says you're from Browsburg, and they always seem to have quite a bit of baseball talent out there.

Ohh, gotcha. Yes, seems like a lot of good players out here. Good fan support as well, as lots of people that aren't parents or family show up for the games on a regular basis. Great little town.