PDA

View Full Version : Phillies may be sellers

NeilHamburger
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
From Mlbtraderumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/amaro-phillies-could-be-sellers.html

Keep it in the back of your mind for about 6 weeks from now. If Philly continues like this and they are out of it I have to believe Walt will be on it.

Hamels reminds me of Lee 2 years ago, and I have no doubt Walt will try and pry him away with anyone in the farm system. It's the kind of move Walt tried to make for Lee, and the kind of move he made time and again for the Cards.

Wonderful Monds
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
We don't need Hamels. The pitching is fine and should only get better.

Victorino, though...

The DARK
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I'd keep my eye on Victorino. He and Stubbs could be a brutally fast and effective leadoff combo and give us one of the rangiest outfields in the league, while his ability to switch hit could give us more versatility in the lineup.

As for Hamels, we've already got Chapman to consider as a starter; no need to bump him back to seventh on the depth chart unless we get hit by more injuries. There are better ways to spend our prospects, since he'll no doubt be expensive despite only being a rental.

xavr1
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
What would we do if we got Hamels? Already no space for Chapman. Would Bailey be sent to Philly?

DirtyBaker
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd keep my eye on Victorino. He and Stubbs could be a brutally fast and effective leadoff combo

You don't think Subbs strikes out too much to batting 2nd?

Ironman92
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I want a cleanup hitter or a new manager.

Would Philly loan us goofy Pence and pay some of his expense?

The DARK
05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
You don't think Subbs strikes out too much to batting 2nd?

Not really. I think he'd find better stuff to hit in front of Votto, especially with a steal threat like Victorino batting in front of him. When you have to throw high fastballs to a catcher in order to give him a chance to catch a stealing threat, you not only play into the hands of a power hitter, but also take away the breaking balls that are responsible for a lot of strikeouts.

Besides, if only one of them gets on, you force a pitcher to deal with Joey Votto while still looking over his shoulder to first. That's gonna result in quite a few homers and RBI doubles (see yesterday's go-ahead run)

DirtyBaker
05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
That's the best argument I've heard for putting Stubbs near the top of the order.

I still don't fully agree with you because of his tendency to strike out at league leading levels. I want to see a 2 hitter put the ball in play and at least see what happens, move a runner to second for Votto and whoever is batting cleanup to have a crack at driving him in.

There's no question Stubbs will post respectable numbers as a fastball hitter batting in front of Votto, you're right. I'm just interested in how many runs this team scores in a game, ultimately.

Wonderful Monds
05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
That's the best argument I've heard for putting Stubbs near the top of the order.

I still don't fully agree with you because of his tendency to strike out at league leading levels. I want to see a 2 hitter put the ball in play and at least see what happens, move a runner to second for Votto and whoever is batting cleanup to have a crack at driving him in.

There's no question Stubbs will post respectable numbers as a fastball hitter batting in front of Votto, you're right. I'm just interested in how many runs this team scores in a game, ultimately.
And I think you'll find they do a lot of that with Stubbs in the 2 hole. Hitting out of that spot, he's had around a .320 average, high OBP, and has been SLGing over .500. He might make fewer productive outs than the alternatives you could put there, but he's been super productive hitting in front of Votto.

I think having Victorino lead off in LF (or Stubbs, whoever is more comfortable there) would do a lot to shore up the teams offensive shortcomings.

Ironman92
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Vic is quite fiery.....the Reds need more of that.

I get a little tired of the announcers saying that every player is just so nice.

Lou Pinella, Paul O'Neill, Rob Dibble and Norm Charlton....put forth a lot of fire the last time we were completely satisfied with the Reds.

lidspinner
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
It all looks good but the Phil's are not selling unless they are 20 games out of it....their rotation is good enough to keep them in the hunt well past the break. Good thoughts though and Vic would make us instant favorites to win the central. I just don't see it happening, that's what I would call a pipe dream. Every team in the game is gonna want him and we already gave away some of our best young players so it's not like we have a lot of firepower to get Vic. Just my thoughts though.....I'd love to see it happen.

Tadasimha
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
The Phillies aern't going to just give Hamels away, the Reds would really have to empty the cupboard to get him for what would be a half-season rental.

Unless there's a contract extensioin signed and the Reds end up with him for three/four years past this season, I wouldn't do it.