PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs. Nationals Friday 5/11

Pages : 1 [2]

Red Raindog
05-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I know some of you would rather blame the Reds, but this is an impressive Nats team. They have some serious pitching and defense. Them leading the best division in baseball isn't a fluke.

+1

But we're not a good team too

Who Dey Time
05-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Wow, now they're saying Harper might need stitches and that the wound is likely self-inflicted. :laugh:

The ol bang your head gag. Not good kid.

LeDoux
05-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Get em tomorrow.

Red Raindog
Wow, now they're saying Harper might need stitches and that the wound is likely self-inflicted. :laugh:

maybe he's a cutter?

:lol:

New York Red
I doubt any Reds fan expected a win tonight, so I'm not sweating this one. Tomorrow is big though. Latos hasn't had back-to-back good starts yet. Now is the time.

Stray
I know some of you would rather blame the Reds, but this is an impressive Nats team. They have some serious pitching and defense. Them leading the best division in baseball isn't a fluke.

Agreed, this team has staying power if they stay healthy. I could see them going after another bat at the deadline and getting even better.

Maker_84
05-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't say that. I don't think we have two 3rd baseman better than him. He's still a great defender.

Frazier is going to start taking more of his time as the season goes on, or more likely is Rolen will go to the DL for what we call a sore shoulder to try and freshen him back up.

Also, that was a great defensive game by the Nats. With that pitching and D you can see why their record is what it is. They're good.

then we should keep on the bench and bring him in late in games when we have a 2 run lead and use him solely for defensive purposes.

Ironman92
05-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Incredible defense by the Nats tonight.

Reds fail to get the big hit multiple times and had some bad at bats with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Phillips base running cost them a run.

The Nats middle infield is very impressive.

Harper kick his own ass? Lol

Maker_84
05-11-2012, 11:27 PM
no matter how this series ends up the Nats are >>>>>>>> Cincinnati

Who Dey Time
05-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Despite the loss another great effort by the bullpen. They will be a huge advantage as the season wears on and Dusty is doing a good job in keeping them fresh.

Stray
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
then we should keep on the bench and bring him in late in games when we have a 2 run lead and use him solely for defensive purposes.

I don't disagree, I just know it isn't going to happen. Any changing of the guard would be gradual.

Rolen's recent history would tell us that this thing will find a way to work itself out. He'll take some time off on the DL and Frazier will have a big opportunity.

Ironman92
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
It is a little sad to see Rolen hit. He can't catch up with fastballs anymore unless he cheats on it.

Kinda looks like Jeter looked at the start of last year. Maybe he'll find that same fountain of youth.

Looked like Griffey his last year with the Reds until he retired.....just couldn't catch up to anything over 90 mph....painful to watch

Falcon7
05-11-2012, 11:30 PM
team is in major need of a bat......or 4

And now Votto is basically a "Judy Hitter", don't expect too many 3 run HR's from the 20 MILLION/a year man. Starting to be more like Mark Grace.

Red Raindog
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't disagree, I just know it isn't going to happen. Any changing of the guard would be gradual.

Rolen's recent history would tell us that this thing will find a way to work itself out. He'll take some time off on the DL and Frazier will have a big opportunity.

I don't think we can give him any more rope.

Krawhitham
05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
And now Votto is basically a "Judy Hitter", don't expect too many 3 run HR's from the 20 MILLION/a year man. Starting to be more like Mark Grace.

He only get one pitch per at bat to hit, and some times not even that

Get a threat to bat behind him and he will be fine

Who Dey Time
no matter how this series ends up the Nats are >>>>>>>> Cincinnati

Right now you could legitimately argue that the Nats are the best team in the National League.

Tadasimha
I doubt any Reds fan expected a win tonight, so I'm not sweating this one. Tomorrow is big though. Latos hasn't had back-to-back good starts yet. Now is the time.

I always expect a win, but what I really wanted to see (and didn't) was a better performance from Leake. He needs to head down to Louisville and have a couple of good starts and get his confidence back.

Tomorrow is big - Latos has to act like a stopper and get the win for the Reds so they have a shot at winning the series.

Falcon7
05-11-2012, 11:33 PM
He only get one pitch per at bat to hit, and some times not even that

Get a threat to bat behind him and he will be fine

That's BS IMHO.

Krawhitham
05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't think we can give him any more rope.

give him 2-3 days off to get his head right, then put him in the 2 hole and see if he has anything left in the tank.

If not use him for late inning defense

Krawhitham
05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
That's BS IMHO.

then you are not watching the games

You do not lead the world in walks if you are seeing a lot of good pitches

Red Raindog
05-11-2012, 11:38 PM

You do not lead the world in walks if you are seeing a lot of good pitches

:thumbup:

Stray
05-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Even though we were a couple of hits away from taking a game we had no business winning, you can't give up 7 runs and expect to win on any night.

That was a terrible performance from Leake.

texasdave
05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Leake and Louisville both start with the letter "L". Coincidence? I think not.

Falcon7
05-11-2012, 11:43 PM

You do not lead the league in walks if you are seeing a lot of good pitches

How many walks did Bonds have during his huge HR years?

And every pitcher has pin point control, right?

texasdave
05-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Need to start beating good teams sometimes. Although Gonzalez versus Leake was clearly advantage Washington.

Tadasimha
05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
give him 2-3 days off to get his head right, then put him in the 2 hole and see if he has anything left in the tank.

If not use him for late inning defense

I wouldn't put him in the 2 hole even after a few days rest. Rolen has done well a couple of times off the bench already this season, making him the late inning defensive sub and/or pinch hitter might be the best move with him.

Tadasimha
05-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Scoreboard watch: Atlanta has tied it up with the Cardinals (6 all) through 7

Ironman92
05-11-2012, 11:52 PM

The GG winner that led the majors in hits in the 90's?

Awesome

Votto's OPS is excellent....got take what they give you.

miamiredskin
05-11-2012, 11:58 PM
The GG winner that led the majors in hits in the 90's?

Awesome

Votto's OPS is excellent....got take what they give you.

Would you have paid Mark Grace $20mil per?

New York Red
05-12-2012, 12:00 AM
LOL ... are you serious? You must hate Votto. Or maybe you have a chub for Mark Grace. Grace never had 20 HR in a season, 100 RBI in a season, or even 100 BB in a single season. Votto has had a better career in just four full seasons than Grace had in 20 years, or however long he played. Good grief, the ignorance of some of our own fans is mind-boggling at times.

Falcon7
05-12-2012, 12:28 AM
LOL ... are you serious? You must hate Votto. Or maybe you have a chub for Mark Grace. Grace never had 20 HR in a season, 100 RBI in a season, or even 100 BB in a single season. Votto has had a better career in just four full seasons than Grace had in 20 years, or however long he played. Good grief, the ignorance of some of our own fans is mind-boggling at times.

Is he hitting like Grace now or not? On pace for 10 HR! And at GABP!

Hate him? That's just stupid, I like Votto a lot, seems like a very nice young man. Of course I don't really know him.
Just talking baseball and why he's more like a Mark Grace type hitter (not much power, also like Sean Casey, Hal Morris, ect.)
If you guys are happy with him hitting .290 with 90 RBI and 10 HR, that's fine.

texasdave
05-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Gio Volquez. 115 pitches in 5 innings.

texasdave
05-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Bone
Head
Play

Brandon Phillips is the King of Boneheaded Plays. Don't worry. Dusty won't say a word. Brandon does whatever he wants and Baker chews another toothpick. Pathetic.

Wasn't someone just saying this team doesn't make a lot of boneheaded plays? They are watching with their eyes closed.

texasdave
05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
This team is missing something. It has too much talent to be scuffling along at .500 just like in 2011.

Stray
05-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Brandon Phillips is the King of Boneheaded Plays. Don't worry. Dusty won't say a word. Brandon does whatever he wants and Baker chews another toothpick. Pathetic.

Wasn't someone just saying this team doesn't make a lot of boneheaded plays? They are watching with their eyes closed.

That was a bad baserunning play by Phillips after he made a good one going 1st to 3rd on Bruce's single. When was the last time Phillips got busted on the base paths on a dumb play, last year?

Surely you know that that stuff is going to happen every now and then. It's the stuff happening over and over that would worry me.

texasdave
05-12-2012, 05:11 AM
That was a bad baserunning play by Phillips after he made a good one going 1st to 3rd on Bruce's single. When was the last time Phillips got busted on the base paths on a dumb play, last year?

Surely you know that that stuff is going to happen every now and then. It's the stuff happening over and over that would worry me.

This kinda stuff does happen over and over. Scott Rolen tagging up from first and getting thrown out by a year at second. Inexcusable. Brandon tonight. Inexcusable. Bronson lollygagging to first on a ball hit to the right side. Inexcusable. All a person has to do is open their eyes. It really does happen a lot. Dusty sees it. He just doesn't do anything about it. How can you be everyone's best friend if you sit them for rookie mistakes?

texasdave
05-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you, Atlanta.

Stray
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
This kinda stuff does happen over and over. Scott Rolen tagging up from first and getting thrown out by a year at second. Inexcusable. Brandon tonight. Inexcusable. Bronson lollygagging to first on a ball hit to the right side. Inexcusable. All a person has to do is open their eyes. It really does happen a lot. Dusty sees it. He just doesn't do anything about it. How can you be everyone's best friend if you sit them for rookie mistakes?

Rolen's tag was bad, but I took it more as an aggressive play that went wrong. Getting to scoring position in that game would have been a big deal. And I haven't noticed Phillips not hustling of late, I'll have to watch closer for that. When he was injured he wasn't busting it down to the line but I'm pretty sure we told him not to.

I guess it's another difference of opinion. I'd hope things are said to people after they screw up, but I don't think you bench a guy as punishment for being too aggressive. Talk to them to let them know why they were wrong, and as fans we can wait and see if those same mistakes are repeated. I haven't seen Rolen push it on tags lately (well he hasn't been on base) and BP is all around one of our better baserunners. The hustle thing would bother me but I just haven't noticed it.

Ironman92
05-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Would you have paid Mark Grace $20mil per?

I wouldn't pay Votto $20 million.

And no on Grace...especially not in 1994.

texasdave
05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Rolen's tag was bad, but I took it more as an aggressive play that went wrong. Getting to scoring position in that game would have been a big deal. And I haven't noticed Phillips not hustling of late, I'll have to watch closer for that. When he was injured he wasn't busting it down to the line but I'm pretty sure we told him not to.

I guess it's another difference of opinion. I'd hope things are said to people after they screw up, but I don't think you bench a guy as punishment for being too aggressive. Talk to them to let them know why they were wrong, and as fans we can wait and see if those same mistakes are repeated. I haven't seen Rolen push it on tags lately (well he hasn't been on base) and BP is all around one of our better baserunners. The hustle thing would bother me but I just haven't noticed it.

It is not a difference of opinion. It is one segment of this board's inability to recognize one hard, unforgiving fact. One segment's refusal to look at the scoreboard. The ultimate determinator in sports.

This team was supposed to make the playoffs or be a serious contender in 2011. Same in 2012. Well, their record in those two years is 95-98. No cherry picking a week or two here. No saying we got the best record in the last three weeks, all the while playing nothing but dregs.

Ninety-five wins and ninety-eight losses. One hundred and ninety-three games. Not a slump. Simply a fact.

And yet you can count on the same people making the same tired excuses.

Maybe you like mediocrity. Maybe underachieving teams are what you are in to. But the undeniable fact remains. 193 games. A losing record.

This team has way too much talent to play sub-.500 for a period of close to 200 games. Way too much talent. But our esteemed manager wants to be liked instead of actually managing, leading. So there is no accountability and the inmates are firmly in charge of the asylum.

And the excuses continue to fall like rain.

Stray
05-12-2012, 06:21 PM
It is not a difference of opinion. It is one segment of this board's inability to recognize one hard, unforgiving fact. One segment's refusal to look at the scoreboard. The ultimate determinator in sports.

This team was supposed to make the playoffs or be a serious contender in 2011. Same in 2012. Well, their record in those two years is 95-98. No cherry picking a week or two here. No saying we got the best record in the last three weeks, all the while playing nothing but dregs.

Ninety-five wins and ninety-eight losses. One hundred and ninety-three games. Not a slump. Simply a fact.

And yet you can count on the same people making the same tired excuses.

Maybe you like mediocrity. Maybe underachieving teams are what you are in to. But the undeniable fact remains. 193 games. A losing record.

This team has way too much talent to play sub-.500 for a period of close to 200 games. Way too much talent. But our esteemed manager wants to be liked instead of actually managing, leading. So there is no accountability and the inmates are firmly in charge of the asylum.

And the excuses continue to fall like rain.

I've never said we didn't underachieve last year. We should have been contenders and weren't, obviously the manager shares a big portion of the blame. I was very critical of Dusty last season, but I'm not one of the Sun Deckers that jump in and blame every single problem on him.

I don't believe the inmates are running the asylum, and I don't think that is the reason we couldn't win enough games last year. I think it was just a flawed team and a tired bullpen. It's not excuses, I genuinely feel that was our problem.

So yeah, I'm not accepting mediocrity and I have no idea where you would have gotten that from anything I've ever written on here.

Ironman92
05-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Comparing Votto to Grace is definitely not the same....but Grace had 2445 career hits and 511 doubles....3 gold gloves.

Sean Casey and Hal Morris would have to combine their stats to get to Grace.