PDA

View Full Version : UK Basketball 8th Edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

LexRedsFan
06-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Not playing any card. The current discussion was about James helping UK recruiting. I just said I hope WMR was right and that Wade would help IU. It has nothing to do with who played for who.

BTW Lex, it just so happens that Crean coached a guy that has won two rings. I dont understand the "MVP" reference.

Well, I'm just pointing out that Cal has coached plenty of guys that have succeeded...not that he needs help recruiting at this point.

Here's the MVP reference:

http://www.derrickrosemvp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DerrickRoseMVP.jpg

LexRedsFan
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Re: UK #1 Article

Does it make any other UK fans nervous to start out that high? Even last year's team wasn't hyped as #1 by anyone outside of us, really. It was all UNC this..UNC that going into the year.

IMO, there's no way the '12-'13 team is close to the National Title team. Of course..they're not playing each other.

It just makes me nervous to start out so highly regarded with a roster I know so little about. All I can think of are some recent highly ranked flameouts -- K State and Michigan State a few years ago, UConn last year. I just don't have much confidence this early...but it will come.

cumberlandreds
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Does it make any other UK fans nervous to start out that high? Even last year's team wasn't hyped as #1 by anyone outside of us, really. It was all UNC this..UNC that going into the year.

IMO, there's no way the '12-'13 team is close to the National Title team. Of course..they're not playing each other.

It just makes me nervous to start out so highly regarded with a roster I know so little about. All I can think of are some recent highly ranked flameouts -- K State and Michigan State a few years ago, UConn last year. I just don't have much confidence this early...but it will come.

I think the lack of tournament experience will hurt the upcoming team. Wiltjer is the only one with any experience at all and that isn't much. Saying that the 2010-11 team didn't have much experience either and came very close to winning it all. So you never know. I do think this years team will be a lot like the 10-11 team. They may takes some lumps,especially on the road. But in the end turn out pretty good.

WMR
06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Best news is this: look at the competition. 2010-2011 had some incredible teams (some of whom we ended up beating on the way to the Final Four).

This season, the two "best" teams heading into the season according to the experts are IU and UL. Looking at mock drafts, it is obvious that UK has the most NBA talent of the three, and, judging by history, they will be hitting their peak right around March.

Assembly Hall
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Now let me pay you Hoosiers a compliment: Zeller has a HELL OF a chance to win NPOY, IMO. Ferrell should also help in getting Zeller the ball in spots where he can score it more effectively/easily. Clear B10 favorite.

I do think Michigan will be a stiff challenge for you guys in the B10.

Isn't this supposed to be Tubby's best team ever at Minny? :lol:

I think Ohio State will take a step back next year.

What do you guys think, particularly what I posted about your rivals in the B10? Is there a team I'm leaving out who could be a contender?

Yogi should give us what we lacked last year, a true point guard. Hulls is a tough player but more suited for the SG. The only thing I am concerned about is chemistry. Yogi's minutes will have to come from somewhere, but regardless it is a good problem to have and they will be the B1G's clear front runner.

IMO, Michigan is a FF contender. They have a few holes to fill with some senior losses and to me an unexcpected tranfer loss, but they did what they did last year without any post presence. That should be taken care of this year.

I think last year was Tubby's best coaching job at Minny. He lost his best player for the year and they had their chance coming down the stretch. I think they only lose Sampson III and they get Trevor back. They are a tournament team but I dont see them finishing in the top 4 in the conference.

Ohio St. is a curious one. On paper it might appear they will take a step back, but I dont see it that way. It is DeShaun's team now and I think they will be fine and challenge for the conference title.

I think that Michigan St and Iowa are two teams to watch. Izzo gets so much out of his Spartans and they have a great class coming in. Iowa did great last year and Fran has the Hawks heading in the right direction.

Assembly Hall
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Best news is this: look at the competition. 2010-2011 had some incredible teams (some of whom we ended up beating on the way to the Final Four).

This season, the two "best" teams heading into the season according to the experts are IU and UL. Looking at mock drafts, it is obvious that UK has the most NBA talent of the three, and, judging by history, they will be hitting their peak right around March.

I would also say that the "experts" are the ones that say UK has the most NBA talent as well. It is always hard to tell how young talent melts together. To me basing the college game on NBA talent doesnt always make sense, but talent is talent. I am sure the 'Cats will be there come March.

Revering4Blue
06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Yogi should give us what we lacked last year, a true point guard. Hulls is a tough player but more suited for the SG. The only thing I am concerned about is chemistry. Yogi's minutes will have to come from somewhere, but regardless it is a good problem to have and they will be the B1G's clear front runner.

IMO, Michigan is a FF contender. They have a few holes to fill with some senior losses and to me an unexcpected tranfer loss, but they did what they did last year without any post presence. That should be taken care of this year.

I think last year was Tubby's best coaching job at Minny. He lost his best player for the year and they had their chance coming down the stretch. I think they only lose Sampson III and they get Trevor back. They are a tournament team but I dont see them finishing in the top 4 in the conference.

Ohio St. is a curious one. On paper it might appear they will take a step back, but I dont see it that way. It is DeShaun's team now and I think they will be fine and challenge for the conference title.

I think that Michigan St and Iowa are two teams to watch. Izzo gets so much out of his Spartans and they have a great class coming in. Iowa did great last year and Fran has the Hawks heading in the right direction.

Nice summary, AH.

New York Red
06-27-2012, 07:34 PM

I have to disagree with this. While UNC started out #1 in the AP poll, UK also received #1 attention in other rankings, and it was unanimous that UK and UNC were 1-2 above everyone else from day one (I never took Syracuse seriously).

The '12/'13 UK team isn't deserving of a #1 preseason ranking, but neither is anyone else. IU and UofL have to be the weakest 1-2 in the history of college basketball. IU stumbled down the stretch, going something like 10-8 the last half of the regular season, while Louisville wasn't even ranked in the Top 25 as recently as February. Like I've said many times, and as the experts have opined often, this coming year will be a very down year for college basketball.

Razor Shines
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I have to disagree with this. While UNC started out #1 in the AP poll, UK also received #1 attention in other rankings, and it was unanimous that UK and UNC were 1-2 above everyone else from day one (I never took Syracuse seriously).

The '12/'13 UK team isn't deserving of a #1 preseason ranking, but neither is anyone else. IU and UofL have to be the weakest 1-2 in the history of college basketball. IU stumbled down the stretch, going something like 10-8 the last half of the regular season, while Louisville wasn't even ranked in the Top 25 as recently as February. Like I've said many times, and as the experts have opined often, this coming year will be a very down year for college basketball.

You really crack me up. IU and UL the worst 1-2 in the history of college basketball? Give me a break dude. What do Louisville and IU have to do in your opinion to have solidified their pre-season ranking?

I went back 40 years in the AP poll. Of those 40 seasons, only 14 times that the team started at #1 finished at #1. Of those 14 teams, only 6 won the National Championship.

IU and Louisville have all their important pieces coming back from strong tournament runs. Nobody out there has as much talent returning.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Nobody out there has much talent returning.

IU has Zeller and a cast of decent role players. Louisville has Deng and a bunch of question marks.

In a normal year, neither UofL nor IU would be top five, let alone top team.

The talent returning to the NCAA is weak. Weaker than it's been for a long, long time, IMO.

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Nobody out there has much talent returning.

IU has Zeller and a cast of decent role players. Louisville has Deng and a bunch of question marks.

In a normal year, neither UofL nor IU would be top five, let alone top team.

The talent returning to the NCAA is weak. Weaker than it's been for a long, long time, IMO.

You fellas are killing me.

Zeller and a bunch of decent "role" players? Scrap, Watford would have been a selection in the draft this year. As would have Oladipo. Role players......??

The 'ville made it to the FF last year.......a bunch of question marks?

Last year was weak if you ask me, and I dont care what the NBA draft says. The year before that was weak. Fellas, dont you realize that guys going pro early affects the college game?

Geez, I am starting to think that just because IU and Louisville are the projected 1-2 teams, that the UK fans are starting to make excuses already. It wouldnt have anything to do with them being your rivals would it?

WMR
06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Scrap isn't a UK fan. He roots for Western Kentucky. And he's never been hesitant on criticizing UK when he feels they deserve it.

LexRedsFan
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
The 'ville made it to the FF last year.......a bunch of question marks?

Go look at what they did in the regular season. They beat a single top 25 team (Vanderbilt, minus Ezeli). They lost by 31 to Providence.

Hell, in the tournament they beat a pair of mid-majors followed by Michigan State and UF. The weakest one seed and a 7 seed who was IMO the quality of a 4 seed.

I just don't see the love for Louisville. Every champion has a guy who you look at and say "go get me a bucket," and they do it. Who is theirs? Siva gets eaten alive by any team with a bigger defender. They lose their leading scorer off last year's team, and their #2 scorer shot 35 percent from the field.

They got hot at the end of the year after a mediocre regular season. It reminds me of Michigan State got going into 2010-11 where they flopped after making a final four run in '09-'10. I'm not sold on Louisville. Indiana, I'm sold on as a top 5 team.

TeamSelig
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
What do you think about the draft tonight?

Prediction:

Davis #1 to NO
MKG #5 to the Kings
Jones #15 to 76ers
Teague #25 to Grizzlies
Lamb #29 to Chicago
Miller #35 to GSW

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Scrap isn't a UK fan. He roots for Western Kentucky. And he's never been hesitant on criticizing UK when he feels they deserve it.

That may be..........but his comment on IU is way off.

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Go look at what they did in the regular season. They beat a single top 25 team (Vanderbilt, minus Ezeli). They lost by 31 to Providence.

Hell, in the tournament they beat a pair of mid-majors followed by Michigan State and UF. The weakest one seed and a 7 seed who was IMO the quality of a 4 seed.

I just don't see the love for Louisville. Every champion has a guy who you look at and say "go get me a bucket," and they do it. Who is theirs? Siva gets eaten alive by any team with a bigger defender. They lose their leading scorer off last year's team, and their #2 scorer shot 35 percent from the field.

They got hot at the end of the year after a mediocre regular season. It reminds me of Michigan State got going into 2010-11 where they flopped after making a final four run in '09-'10. I'm not sold on Louisville. Indiana, I'm sold on as a top 5 team.

I by no means follow Louisville. But the facts are, what they are. They made the FF last year, it doesnt matter who they played to get there. It also doesnt matter what happened in the regular season, especially when it is a conference foe. When teams make it that far, and basically have everybody coming back for the next season, they are gonna be ranked high coming into the season.

LexRedsFan
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I by no means follow Louisville. But the facts are, what they are. They made the FF last year, it doesnt matter who they played to get there. It also doesnt matter what happened in the regular season, especially when it is a conference foe. When teams make it that far, and basically have everybody coming back for the next season, they are gonna be ranked high coming into the season.

Well, of course they're going to be ranked high. That doesn't mean they SHOULD be. Which is what I'm saying.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 03:13 PM

If last year's regular season didn't matter, why should last year's last five games? Or IU's last four?

Last year is last year, after all.

This year, neither team has all that much talent. Zeller's a stud. Likely POY, in fact. After that, it's a crapshoot. A freshman PG? Especially one that's not considered an elite (re, top five) recruit. He's also tiny, which will hurt IU as they play larger guards. Others are role players. Hull can shoot, but can't defend. Watford's a shooter that gets into funks and can't buy a basket that took a giant step backward last season. Oladipo has tons of talent, but cannot shoot outside of ten feet and is turnover prone.

Overall, IU's got a great center, but is going to rely almost completely on Zeller, spot-up shooters, and an undersized PG who's quick but tiny.

That's fine, though, as no one else has any talent returning either.

Louisville's Siva is great one game and horrid for three. There's no in-between in his game. Deng is very good and has a chance to be dominating. But his game is still a work in progress. Benahan is a 6'5" power forward. I like his girth, but he can't shoot and has little in the way of offensive moves other than bulling around the basket. And this team cannot shoot. At all. Their best shooter graduated, too. As did their second-best shooter.

Michigan, to me, looks decent. OSU has Deshaun Thomas, who I like to blossom into a 20/10 guy, and Aaron Craft. Florida has five good players but doesn't play much D. Kansas has Withey and a couple nice role players in Johnson and Relaford.

That's pretty much it.

Maybe UCLA or Kentucky freshmen blossom into a special team. I don't see it in either area this year. (Kentucky doesn't look to be able to shoot either.) Maybe IU players all take a step forward. Maybe Louisville's guys learn how to shoot.

But at this point, there's no question the talent level is down across the game.

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, of course they're going to be ranked high. That doesn't mean they SHOULD be. Which is what I'm saying.

You asked about the love for Louisville and I told you. And why shouldn't they be ranked high?

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 03:33 PM
If last year's regular season didn't matter, why should last year's last five games? Or IU's last four?

Last year is last year, after all.

This year, neither team has all that much talent. Zeller's a stud. Likely POY, in fact. After that, it's a crapshoot. A freshman PG? Especially one that's not considered an elite (re, top five) recruit. He's also tiny, which will hurt IU as they play larger guards. Others are role players. Hull can shoot, but can't defend. Watford's a shooter that gets into funks and can't buy a basket that took a giant step backward last season. Oladipo has tons of talent, but cannot shoot outside of ten feet and is turnover prone.

Overall, IU's got a great center, but is going to rely almost completely on Zeller, spot-up shooters, and an undersized PG who's quick but tiny.

That's fine, though, as no one else has any talent returning either.

Louisville's Siva is great one game and horrid for three. There's no in-between in his game. Deng is very good and has a chance to be dominating. But his game is still a work in progress. Benahan is a 6'5" power forward. I like his girth, but he can't shoot and has little in the way of offensive moves other than bulling around the basket. And this team cannot shoot. At all. Their best shooter graduated, too. As did their second-best shooter.

Michigan, to me, looks decent. OSU has Deshaun Thomas, who I like to blossom into a 20/10 guy, and Aaron Craft. Florida has five good players but doesn't play much D. Kansas has Withey and a couple nice role players in Johnson and Relaford.

That's pretty much it.

Maybe UCLA or Kentucky freshmen blossom into a special team. I don't see it in either area this year. (Kentucky doesn't look to be able to shoot either.) Maybe IU players all take a step forward. Maybe Louisville's guys learn how to shoot.

But at this point, there's no question the talent level is down across the game.

Interesting analysis. Of which I will laugh and agree to disagree. IU has their starting five back, or did you not know that. It aint like they are handing the PG spot to the freshman. You also evidently havent looked at the rest of IU's recruiting class. Pretty formidable. Spot up shooters? You didnt even mention Watford. We dont even know what Creek's status is.

Listen guys, I know Indiana basketball and follow the rest. I really try not to step on any toes when discussing it, because I love the game and cherish it. I like good conversations about it period. But nonsensical statements and/or absolute opinionated things dont work for me, especially when it comes from the ORG members that are supposed to have "quality" comments.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Which is why you just made my ignore list, Assembly.

So tired of your holier-than-thou statements.

You asked for my opinion, then ripped me for it?

That's amateur hour.

WMR
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
First and Second picks in the draft! That is awesome. Hope MKG gets traded though. :D

LexRedsFan
06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
You asked about the love for Louisville and I told you. And why shouldn't they be ranked high?

And I told you WHY I don't see it. And I told you why they shouldn't be ranked high.

Jesus, do you even read this thread or just come in here to troll UK fans?

LexRedsFan
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
First and Second picks in the draft! That is awesome. Hope MKG gets traded though. :D

Disappointed with how far Lamb fell, though.

Scrap Irony
06-29-2012, 03:30 PM

If Cho can use free agency wisely, that team is a sleeper.

They need a power forward, probably another center, and shooters galore.

Their starting lineup right now:
Kemba Walker PG
Ben Gordon SG
MKG SF
Tyrus Thomas PF
Bismack Biyombo C

Key Reserves:
Gerald Henderson G
Jeffery Taylor G/F
Reggie Williams SF
BJ Mullens C

There's no power forward here aside from Thomas, who gave up basketball five years ago, but forgot to tell anyone. If Cho could sign a guy like Ilyasova or Atawn Jamison, he cold kill two birds with one stone, so to speak-- a knock-down shooter who can also rebound a bit and play some D. If not Ilyasova or Jamison, I'd go after Kris Humphries (very good rebounder and decent defensively), Chris Kaman, Carl Landry, or Michael Beasley.

If not free agency, they might get involved in a trade or two, dealing a restricted free agent or two for one or two of another team. I'd look into dealing DJ Augustin, for example, to Denver for Javale McGee or even Rudy Fernandez. Aaron Brooks and Robin Lopez would also look awfully good in Charlotte in lieu of Augustin and DJ White.

They'd still be below average, too young, and need another weapon or two. But next year's free agent class looks to be much better, and next season's draft could also provide some help. (Imagine the younger Zeller as a C with this team. Or how about Shabazz Muhamed as a SG teaming with MKG?

They have some hope, IMO. If they can make some clever moves.

Assembly Hall
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
And I told you WHY I don't see it. And I told you why they shouldn't be ranked high.

Jesus, do you even read this thread or just come in here to troll UK fans?

Actually I come here to read(and I said READ) what quality CBB fans have to say. As a fan of IU, I hate UK. But as I have said time and time again(which evidently you didnt read), I absolutely respect them and their tradition. And I value what their "level-headed" fans have to say. My 72 year old Aunt, who is the biggest UK fan I know, has forgotten more about college basketball than you will ever know.

Assembly Hall
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Which is why you just made my ignore list, Assembly.

So tired of your holier-than-thou statements.

You asked for my opinion, then ripped me for it?

That's amateur hour.

Touche!!!!!!! But I really dont recall asking for YOUR opinion.

New York Red
07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
You really crack me up. IU and UL the worst 1-2 in the history of college basketball? Give me a break dude. What do Louisville and IU have to do in your opinion to have solidified their pre-season ranking?

I went back 40 years in the AP poll. Of those 40 seasons, only 14 times that the team started at #1 finished at #1. Of those 14 teams, only 6 won the National Championship.

IU and Louisville have all their important pieces coming back from strong tournament runs. Nobody out there has as much talent returning.
Sorry, but I didn't consider IU or UofL's tourney runs that impressive. The UK/IU game was great, but that was just one game. UofL got to the Final Four not because of how they played, but because they played a very overrated MSU team and then got the game with Florida handed to them. The most impressive games IU and UofL played, were the losses to UK. You can talk about all the so-called talent IU and UofL has coming back, but the only reason they'll be 1-2 is the talent level nationally will be down. It seems that only IU and UofL fans refuse to admit that.

Revering4Blue
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry, but I didn't consider IU or UofL's tourney runs that impressive. The UK/IU game was great, but that was just one game. UofL got to the Final Four not because of how they played, but because they played a very overrated MSU team and then got the game with Florida handed to them. The most impressive games IU and UofL played, were the losses to UK. You can talk about all the so-called talent IU and UofL has coming back, but the only reason they'll be 1-2 is the talent level nationally will be down. It seems that only IU and UofL fans refuse to admit that.

Then again, some of us don't give a flying fig about preseason rankings. They only matter in regards to NCAA Football.

Simply put, IU, Louisville will now be the hunted and we'll see how they deal with that.

I don't have any problem "admitting" that, unless several newcomers play way above their heads with several teams nationally, the talent level will be down. Where I and others disagree with many Wildcat fans is the assertion that, even though a ton of talent exited NCAA ball following the season's conclusion, the talent translated to several "all-time great teams" last year--the Wildcats the obvious exception. Yeah, some may have really good, but it is still laughable to me to suggest that last years UNC team healthy was on par with '05, '08 or '09--four lottery picks or not. Does anybody really believe that '11 Kansas wouldn't have been blown out by the '08 squad?

Syracuse? No question losing Melo really hurt, but I'm not so sure that Notre Dame with a healthy Abromaitis isn't as good, or better than the Cuse. And Notre Dame still wouldn't have placed one player in the lottery or first round to the Cuses two.

I wouldn't presume to speak for Assembly Hall, but I'm fairly confident that this is what he meant regarding NBA talent translating to the College game, instead of vise/versa, and he seems to present a very argument.

Assembly Hall
07-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Once again, I dont understand where you are coming from. I can't speak for the Cards but I can speak for the Hoosiers. "so-called" talent that IU has? Give me a break. If some guys from IU would have come out early they would have had 2 guys go in the 1st round, maybe 3. Zellar, on most sites I get on is projected as the #1 pick next year. Take off the blinders, it seems that you being a UK fan, cant seem to deal with your two rivals being 1-2.

Assembly Hall
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Then again, some of us don't give a flying fig about preseason rankings. They only matter in regards to NCAA Football.

Simply put, IU, Louisville will now be the hunted and we'll see how they deal with that.

I don't have any problem "admitting" that, unless several newcomers play way above their heads with several teams nationally, the talent level will be down. Where I and others disagree with many Wildcat fans is the assertion that, even though a ton of talent exited NCAA ball following the season's conclusion, the talent translated to several "all-time great teams" last year--the Wildcats the obvious exception. Yeah, some may have really good, but it is still laughable to me to suggest that last years UNC team healthy was on par with '05, '08 or '09--four lottery picks or not. Does anybody really believe that '11 Kansas wouldn't have been blown out by the '08 squad?

Syracuse? No question losing Melo really hurt, but I'm not so sure that Notre Dame with a healthy Abromaitis isn't as good, or better than the Cuse. And Notre Dame still wouldn't have placed one player in the lottery or first round to the Cuses two.

I wouldn't presume to speak for Assembly Hall, but I'm fairly confident that this is what he meant regarding NBA talent translating to the College game, instead of vise/versa, and he seems to present a very argument.

You presume correctly Rev.

Interesting on the Notre Dame thing. And I completely concur.

New York Red
07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm looking at a 2013 mock draft right now. Zeller is listed #1. The next IU player (and only other IU player) listed is Watford at #42. No UofL player is listed in either the first or second round. So we're talking a total of one player in the top 40 picks from the preseason #1 and #2 teams in the country. If that doesn't tell you how down college basketball will be next year, I don't know how else to explain it for you. I'm sure if you were a fan of any other school but IU or UofL, you would easily admit what's obvious to everyone else. The fact that I'm a UK fan doesn't prevent me from stating facts. UK is being mentioned as preseason top five (even top three in some rankings), but there is no way this UK team is ranked that high most other years.

Assembly Hall
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm looking at a 2013 mock draft right now. Zeller is listed #1. The next IU player (and only other IU player) listed is Watford at #42. No UofL player is listed in either the first or second round. So we're talking a total of one player in the top 40 picks from the preseason #1 and #2 teams in the country. If that doesn't tell you how down college basketball will be next year, I don't know how else to explain it for you. I'm sure if you were a fan of any other school but IU or UofL, you would easily admit what's obvious to everyone else. The fact that I'm a UK fan doesn't prevent me from stating facts. UK is being mentioned as preseason top five (even top three in some rankings), but there is no way this UK team is ranked that high most other years.

Listen Big Apple Red, read your history books. Didnt Duke have a couple of guys go in the first round? I see they fared well in the tournament. Didnt Washington have two guys go in the first round? I see they fared well in the tournament. You seem to continuosly equate NBA talent to the college level. Green from MSU was one of the three best college players last year, where did he go in the draft? Your facts dont have anything to do with the college game, you are basing your opinion on how NBA mock drafts look at the current crop of college players and then projecting how the college game is gonna be. That aint the case. There have been great college guys that didnt have a chance in the NBA and there have been duds in college that excelled in the NBA. My 1987 IU team was great, they were built as a unit. How many guys from that squad even got drafted? They were a freakin' college team that finished the season as National Champs and beat some of your NBA talent along the way.

Try to look at it like college football. No one can argue that Doug Flutie, Turner Gill, or Tony Rice werent great QB's at the college level. Flutie won the Heisman, Rice won a national championship, and Gill was the signal caller on one of the greatest teams I ever saw. Where did they go in the draft?

As my business partner always says......."I will never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.".........I hope he isnt a member of this board!;)

joshnky
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I've largely avoided this thread because I grew tired of this Louisville sucks argument three months ago but I have to call you on your mock draft analysis. Shockingly, you seem to have picked the only mock without a Louisville player. I just checked the first 5 on Google and all but one had Dieng and Blackshear, and Siva makes it in the second round occasionally. To illustrate the futility of mock drafts in July (and this discussion) Dieng went as low as undrafted to as high as the lottery.

I know UK fans hate it but Louisville has a great team for next year. Offensively, they may struggle unless Siva improves but they proved last year they could make the final four with great defense. Louisville fans are excited about both football and basketball and have every rite to be.

joshnky
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM

My post was in response to this.

Assembly Hall
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
LOL.......kudos Josh. Yes, they should be. I never really understood the blindness of a lot of UK fans until I started visiting this site. It is utterly amazing to me that a lot of them think that Naismith invented basketball in Lexington. And a lot of them that concede that it was actually in Springfield, Mass. still think that it was perfected in Lexington. Many talk about NBA talent, and have forgotten the years past and base everything on mock drafts and how high their boys will go in it. Goose Givins NBA career was......well.......not existant. Geez, it aint rocket science nor will ever be.

But anyways Josh, look forward to watching the 'ville play this year. Hopefully, we can get that Hoosier-Card rivalry going.

WMR
07-09-2012, 02:41 AM
LOL.......kudos Josh. Yes, they should be. I never really understood the blindness of a lot of UK fans until I started visiting this site. It is utterly amazing to me that a lot of them think that Naismith invented basketball in Lexington. And a lot of them that concede that it was actually in Springfield, Mass. still think that it was perfected in Lexington. Many talk about NBA talent, and have forgotten the years past and base everything on mock drafts and how high their boys will go in it. Goose Givins NBA career was......well.......not existant. Geez, it aint rocket science nor will ever be.

But anyways Josh, look forward to watching the 'ville play this year. Hopefully, we can get that Hoosier-Card rivalry going.

I never understood the obsession of a lot of Whosier fans with Kentucky and the opinion of Kentucky fans until you started visiting this site.

User Name Posts
Assembly Hall 94
New York Red 50
WMR 27
Scrap Irony 26
LexRedsFan 22
dabvu2498 20
cumberlandreds 8

That's pathetic! :eek:

Butt still chapped from the Sweet 16 if I had to guess... perhaps you should take a trip to the shrine in Bloomington to make yourself feel better? :lol:

It's actually perfectly reasonable for UK fans to state that college basketball was perfected in Lexington. You're allowed to say that when you're a fan of the greatest college basketball program of all-time.

Lewisville and Indiana haven't won a damn thing since the mid 80s. You should consider piping down a little bit until you actually do manage to win something (Like UK has done more times than your entire conference since the Hosiers won a title.)

In closing, quit losing to powerhouses like Nebraska and Minnesota on the road and maybe you can start earning some respect from other fanbases.

And if posting with UK fans makes your butt so hurt, maybe you should stick to the Indiana thread. You're not going to convince anyone here that the hosiers are world beaters or that college basketball talent isn't down across the board next season, so quit trying. Respect is earned, not given, and so far, the Hosiers and Coach Clappy haven't earned a damn thing. :thumbup:

WMR
07-09-2012, 02:46 AM
I've largely avoided this thread because I grew tired of this Louisville sucks argument three months ago but I have to call you on your mock draft analysis. Shockingly, you seem to have picked the only mock without a Louisville player. I just checked the first 5 on Google and all but one had Dieng and Blackshear, and Siva makes it in the second round occasionally. To illustrate the futility of mock drafts in July (and this discussion) Dieng went as low as undrafted to as high as the lottery.

I know UK fans hate it but Louisville has a great team for next year. Offensively, they may struggle unless Siva improves but they proved last year they could make the final four with great defense. Louisville fans are excited about both football and basketball and have every rite to be.

I'm sure getting your heart torn out by UK in the Final Four has had nothing to do with Lewisville fans making themselves scarce in this thread. ;) :lol:

Are you really excited about football? If I was a Lewisville fan, I'd be more concerned about my program ending up in the New Metro since no legitimate conference wants to touch my program with a 10 foot cattle prod. I guess backing into a BCS Charity Bowl should be a goal since the welfare bids are going bye bye after next season. If Jurich can't find some way to weasel UL into a legitimate conference, Cholly will be gone ASAP.

5TimeWSChamps
07-09-2012, 02:54 AM
As long as UK isn't a 1-seed, there's a 100% probability that they will be matched up as IU's 2 or 3 in the Indianapolis Regional, playing in the Elite 8 in Lucas Oil

Assembly Hall
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
LOL WMR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW do your homework a little better.........Minnesota beat us at home, we beat them on the road.;)

Assembly Hall
07-09-2012, 07:37 AM
As long as UK isn't a 1-seed, there's a 100% probability that they will be matched up as IU's 2 or 3 in the Indianapolis Regional, playing in the Elite 8 in Lucas Oil

I think with all these to-do over scheduling and the two games the teams had last year that the committe will make sure that they play again!!!!!!:thumbup:

cumberlandreds
07-09-2012, 07:42 AM
I never understood the obsession of a lot of Whosier fans with Kentucky and the opinion of Kentucky fans until you started visiting this site.

User Name Posts
Assembly Hall 94
New York Red 50
WMR 27
Scrap Irony 26
LexRedsFan 22
dabvu2498 20
cumberlandreds 8

That's pathetic! :eek:

Butt still chapped from the Sweet 16 if I had to guess... perhaps you should take a trip to the shrine in Bloomington to make yourself feel better? :lol:

I think someone is a closet UK fan. :laugh:

Assembly Hall
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I think someone is a closet UK fan. :laugh:

I do know a little bit about it..........I am half hillbilly!!!!!!!!!:beerme::beerme:

New York Red
07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Listen Big Apple Red, read your history books. Didnt Duke have a couple of guys go in the first round? I see they fared well in the tournament. Didnt Washington have two guys go in the first round? I see they fared well in the tournament. You seem to continuosly equate NBA talent to the college level. Green from MSU was one of the three best college players last year, where did he go in the draft? Your facts dont have anything to do with the college game, you are basing your opinion on how NBA mock drafts look at the current crop of college players and then projecting how the college game is gonna be. That aint the case. There have been great college guys that didnt have a chance in the NBA and there have been duds in college that excelled in the NBA. My 1987 IU team was great, they were built as a unit. How many guys from that squad even got drafted? They were a freakin' college team that finished the season as National Champs and beat some of your NBA talent along the way.

Try to look at it like college football. No one can argue that Doug Flutie, Turner Gill, or Tony Rice werent great QB's at the college level. Flutie won the Heisman, Rice won a national championship, and Gill was the signal caller on one of the greatest teams I ever saw. Where did they go in the draft?

As my business partner always says......."I will never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.".........I hope he isnt a member of this board!;)
I've always tried to be respectful towards you, even though I consider 99% of the IU fanbase to be complete idiots. The more you post in the UK THREAD, the more you sound like your fellow Hoosiers. Forget the NBA angle. If you truly believe the 2013 editions of IU and UofL are loaded with bigtime college basketball talent, I have to seriously question your evaluation skills. Why is it only Hoosier and Cardinal fans refuse to acknowledge it'll be a down year talent-wise? You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out. Just a few months ago UofL fans were running Pitino out of town. Now they're claiming they have great talent. IU fans are still waiting for a big win away from Assembley Hall (maybe it'll happen in 2013!!). You guys crack me up.

:laugh:

New York Red
07-12-2012, 07:11 PM
For the record, UofL made the Final Four because Florida had one of the biggest collapses in tournament history, somehow blowing a 9-point lead with less than two minutes to play (or something like that). In one month, UofL fans went from claiming they were terrible and running the coach out of town, to claiming they have a great team. You have to love sports fans.

:beerme:

Razor Shines
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I've always tried to be respectful towards you, even though I consider 99% of the IU fanbase to be complete idiots. The more you post in the UK THREAD, the more you sound like your fellow Hoosiers. Forget the NBA angle. If you truly believe the 2013 editions of IU and UofL are loaded with bigtime college basketball talent, I have to seriously question your evaluation skills. Why is it only Hoosier and Cardinal fans refuse to acknowledge it'll be a down year talent-wise? You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out. Just a few months ago UofL fans were running Pitino out of town. Now they're claiming they have great talent. IU fans are still waiting for a big win away from Assembley Hall (maybe it'll happen in 2013!!). You guys crack me up.

You're a complete idiot. Boom. Roasted.

Revering4Blue
07-12-2012, 07:39 PM

I already acknowledged that in post #280.

That should easily qualify me as a member of the 1% IU fanbase non-complete idiot club.

Quite an achievement.

Razor Shines
07-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I already acknowledged that in post #280.

That should easily qualify me as a member of the 1% IU fanbase non-complete idiot club.

Quite an achievement.

Oh, did we have to submit our answers to NY Red to be considered possibly not an idiot?

As if which college team you root for has any bearing on the kind of person you are, lol. I think NY Red has proved once and for all that idiots can even root for UK.

Revering4Blue
07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Oh, did we have to submit our answers to NY Red to be considered possibly not an idiot?

As if which college team you root for has any bearing on the kind of person you are, lol. I think NY Red has proved once and for all that idiots can even root for UK.

DIDN'T YOU GET THE MEMO? (Rush Hour 2 + Batman Begins) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEttGQ3iQI)

WMR
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Talk about living the life......

Anthony Davis 4 Point Play- USA Basketball (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxCyUqimtM&feature=player_embedded)

Pretty funny he gives Cal, O, and Strick a little trash talk after hitting the 3. :lol:

His arms look twice as big as when he was at UK. He has been hitting the weights hard.

cumberlandreds
07-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Talk about living the life......

Anthony Davis 4 Point Play- USA Basketball (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxCyUqimtM&feature=player_embedded)

Pretty funny he gives Cal, O, and Strick a little trash talk after hitting the 3. :lol:

His arms look twice as big as when he was at UK. He has been hitting the weights hard.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like Antigua gave him the finger. :lol:

New York Red
07-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know what AD was saying to the UK staff, but that was a moment for the ages. Absolutely hilarious. I'm guessing AD was saying something like Cal should have let him shoot 25-footers at UK. Too funny. Pretty cool that AD flashed the "three goggles" too.

:lol:

Scrap Irony
07-13-2012, 06:46 PM
His time with the Olympic squad could be invaluable for Davis as a player next NBA season. The experience playing with these guys-- and, if yesterday can be believed, playing well-- could allow him to skip the typical flutters that often affect rookies as they enter the professional league.

He can also find out quickly what works and what doesn't on both the players he practicing against and the opponents he's sure to face at the Olympic level.

Assembly Hall
07-13-2012, 08:49 PM

No, you crack me up. You have never been respectful towards me. I respect UK, not you. 99% of the IU fan base idiots? Give me a break. Indiana produces great players at the high school level, hell didnt UK have one this past year? The people in my home state understand the game, most of us appreciate it as well. I cant speak for all IU fans, just myself. But the college teams in this state are heavily followed, just as the high school teams are and the talent they produce. Why is it that only Hoosier and Cardinal fans refuse to acknowledge it'll be a down year talent-wise? I imagine you know nothing of Michigan's talent returning. Why dont you ask them about the talent level of their team? Why dont you ask NC State what they got returning? BTW IU beat the Wolfpack last year on the road, no neutral site BS, at their on-campus facility.

Quite frankly NY, you dont know squat. I dont know you, dont want to. Your opinions are just what they are...."your opinions". Sometimes it is best just to just keep your mouth shut, ya just never know when the worm will turn.

New York Red
07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Why is it IU fans can't have a civil basketball discussion? It's as if they're all direct offspring of Bobby Knight. They don't agree with something you say, so they start with the insults. This is a UK basketball thread and you're constantly bent because UK fans don't fall in line to agree with your takes on IU. What's wrong with this picture?

dabvu2498
07-14-2012, 12:53 PM
OK, guys we can cool it with the personal stuff here?

Just as an aside, these UK threads have always served as a sort of catch-all for general college basketball discussion, most often in a very positive way. All are welcome to post here, so long as they do so in a respectful manner and abide by the rules of the board.

I, myself, am no longer a UK fan, but I still enjoy coming to these threads to discuss hoops with UK fans and others. And yes, occaisionally razzing my UK fan friends (WMR, that's you).

Please don't screw that up by insulting or personally attacking others.

Thanks.

Razor Shines
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Why is it IU fans can't have a civil basketball discussion? It's as if they're all direct offspring of Bobby Knight. They don't agree with something you say, so they start with the insults. This is a UK basketball thread and you're constantly bent because UK fans don't fall in line to agree with your takes on IU. What's wrong with this picture?

It was actually one guy. Me and rev agreed with a lot of your and mostly Scrap's points but you called all of us idiots anyway.

Scrap Irony
07-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Then, if one guy is the problem let's all hit the Ignore function or send that poster to the showers.

It's really easy to do.

I've done it.

As to UK basketball threads, I agree that they've become a catch-all for discussion, but it's low-class to post incendiary message after incendiary message baiting Kentucky fans with wrong-headed hyperbole, homer analysis, and false outrage. Kentucky fans can only take so much, after all. ;) They're not used to having vitriol heaped upon them by everyone from Vitale to Bobby Knight to every national sportswriter that's ever picked up a pen. (Aside from Greg Doyel, who's a UK homer.) :p

New York Red
07-14-2012, 05:26 PM
My apologies. For the record, my "idiots" comment came after someone else called me one. I've been respectful in every other post in this thread. I'll be a good boy from now on.

:beerme:

Assembly Hall
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Then, if one guy is the problem let's all hit the Ignore function or send that poster to the showers.

It's really easy to do.

I've done it.

As to UK basketball threads, I agree that they've become a catch-all for discussion, but it's low-class to post incendiary message after incendiary message baiting Kentucky fans with wrong-headed hyperbole, homer analysis, and false outrage. Kentucky fans can only take so much, after all. ;) They're not used to having vitriol heaped upon them by everyone from Vitale to Bobby Knight to every national sportswriter that's ever picked up a pen. (Aside from Greg Doyel, who's a UK homer.) :p

No need for that. This poster will quit checking out the UK thread. You guys can have it all to yourselves and enjoy shining in the sun. Nice semantics Scrap.........wrong-headed hyperbole made me laugh..........

Take care fellas.

TeamSelig
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
So where do we stand on the '13 prospects?

#1 Jabari Parker.... we are 1 of 10 teams listed as 'medium' interest.
#2 Julius Randle.... 1 of 12 teams listed w/ Medium interest
Harrison twins.... I've always felt like we would get these two.... looks like are in the final 4 or 5 on their list

There is also talk of Andrew Wiggins reclassifying to '13. We are definitely in the mix on him, so it seems. Can Parker and Wiggins coexist? I see they're both listed as SFs. I know with Cal's system, it usually doesn't matter.

Scrap Irony
07-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I expect:
Wiggins and his Canadian teammate, Xavier Rathan Mayes, to both come aboard in 2013, along with the Harrison twins. I don't know how Calipari will do it, as all four would deserve to start.

He could go with an extremely small team and Willie Cauley-Stein as center. (That would be a 6'4", two 6'5"'s, and a 6'6" to go along with a true 7 footer.) He could invert his guards as posters (a la Crum's best teams at UofL) and pass out of the elbow with the center. They could press all day, as all four can handle, not to mention shoot the lights out. (Both SG Harrison and Mayes are dead-eye shooters and, as they enter college, will be among the five or so best shooters in the nation.)

WMR
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I hear Wiggins isn't reclassifying. Would actually be better for us considering who we're solid with for 2013. Cal could end up taking 4 of the top 10, sickest class ever (until he beats it in a year or two).

WMR
07-31-2012, 01:03 PM
We will know about Wiggins definitively in August.

Scrap Irony
07-31-2012, 02:18 PM
The "I have nothing left to prove" quote makes me think he's moving on after this season. It makes sense financially, academically, and even socially.

But, yeah, that'll likely put a crimp in Calipari's recruiting pitches. (Though I'm sure he'll find a way to make it better.)

Selfishly, I'd like to see Harrison and Mayes on the same court. I love shooters.

WMR
07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
From Katz a blurb...

3. Kentucky doesn’t have a traditional upperclassmen who will be a legitimate rotation player. But that’s fine. Kentucky coach John Calipari said Wright State senior transfer Julius Mays will fill that void. Mays played one season at Wright State (14.1ppg, 2.5 apg and 42.4 percent on 3s) after transferring from NC State. Calipari attended a Monday workout of the Wildcats and remarked about Mays’ shooting and overall experience. He also was extremely pleased with NC State transfer guard Ryan Harrow. But Calipari said Harrow and Mays could be coming off the bench. He said he fully expects at least two freshmen -- guard Archie Goodwin and forward Alex Poythress -- to start. The question is does he start both freshmen centers -- Nerlens Noel and/or Willie Cauley -- if he wants to go big? I would be stunned if Noel isn’t in the starting lineup. The question will be Cauley. Kyle Wiltjer, Mays and Harrow will be in the rotation and likely at times starters during the long season.

Let the Julius Mays legend begin! :lol:

WMR
07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
The "I have nothing left to prove" quote makes me think he's moving on after this season. It makes sense financially, academically, and even socially.

But, yeah, that'll likely put a crimp in Calipari's recruiting pitches. (Though I'm sure he'll find a way to make it better.)

Selfishly, I'd like to see Harrison and Mayes on the same court. I love shooters.

What I'm afraid it would do is take us out of the equation for James Young, who I really, really, really want. He has pretty much said he's a lock for UK.

Cal could easily make it work with Randle, Harrisons, and Wiggins/Young, but I'm not sure if he can get Wiggins AND Young.

WMR
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Oh yea: I don't think UK is going to get Jabari Parker. I think he's going to Michigan State or DOOK.

Scrap Irony
07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
One of my sportswriter friends insisted Duke is the favorite; then again, he's a Duke homer. (Having gone to school there.) No way Parker goes to MSU, as that offense is far too structured. He's said style of play is as important as almost anything.

We'll see. I'm guessing Duke, a pre-season All-American campaign, and pre-season POTY talk.

WVRed
07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
What I'm afraid it would do is take us out of the equation for James Young, who I really, really, really want. He has pretty much said he's a lock for UK.

Cal could easily make it work with Randle, Harrisons, and Wiggins/Young, but I'm not sure if he can get Wiggins AND Young.

I think Young would commit if he had an offer. If he doesn't get one, I trust Cal completely. Quincy Miller and Tony Wroten come to mind.

The Harrison twins and Wiggins are the only ones I am sold on to this point. I would like to see UK look at Mamadou N'Diaye. Not everyday you see a 7'5 320 lb center come along.

Scrap Irony
07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
I've heard whispers that N'Diaye was less than impressive against bigger, stronger athletes. As in Tony Trocha bad.

I think a team like Western Kentucky might be the best spot for him. Give him three years to contribute, but learn, too. He'll need all of it, if those whispers are true.

WVRed
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Midnight Madness is 10 days away and the Harrison twins, an important piece for 2013-2014, will be announcing between Kentucky and Maryland on Thursday in what has been a pretty intense recruiting battle of late.

This is going to be a completely different team from last season. My expectations are lower, but then again Cal took a similar team two years ago to the Final Four.

Thoughts:

*UK will have something they haven't had since Cal has been here in two bigs that can be used at the same time. I wouldn't be shocked if Willie Cauley-Stein has a better season early on than Nerlens Noel, although Noel will have the higher upside.

*Cal has said he will be using Kyle Wiltjer in a pick and pop situation where he can follow behind the defense on fast breaks and spot up for open three's.

*Archie Goodwin I think will flourish the most if the Cats go with a dribble drive, especially if he runs the point. The guy has some Tyreke Evans in him, a combo guard who Cal groomed into a PG at the collegiate level and boosted his draft stock. That being said, Alex Poythress will be the most prolific scorer.

*Ryan Harrow and Julius Mays will likely give solid minutes, but their leadership will be the most important with Darius Miller gone. Darius saved UK in a lot of games by providing the "Cool Hand Luke" moments and stopping the bleeding, especially against Indiana in the Sweet 16.

Overall, my expectations are low. I'd be happy if this team goes to a Final Four, but a Sweet 16 or Elite Eight exit wouldn't surprise me either. I see this team as a building block for 2013-2014 with hopefully the Harrison Twins, Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, and James Young.

WMR
10-02-2012, 08:40 PM
The other thread you started was better, should've bumped it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95403

WMR
10-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Why are your expectations low?

I've seen UK ranked from 1-3 preseason. We have as good a chance as anyone and better than most to cut down nets. Cal will have this team ready to compete for another Championship by March.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
UK should be really good again. How good is anyone's guess? I never know exactly what to expect with the yearly transition of players. I don't know if they will be able to win another championship. Always a lot of luck involved in that. Also don't underestimate the experience factor that Miller,Jones and Lamb brought to last years team. Miller especially was a steadying influence in some tough games. Wiltjer is the only experienced player back and at that he didn't play big minutes most of last season. It will be another fun season and it al gets started next Friday night with midnight madness.

WMR
10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Don't forget our point guard will essentially be a junior with a full year in Cal's system. I'm expecting Harrow to be very, very good right out of the gate and provide major leadership. Cal hasn't had a non-frosh pg in a long time.

WMR
10-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Likely first guard off the bench will be a fifth year senior... Interested to see how much Mays can contribute. Leadership and a veteran steadying influence at the least.

Scrap Irony
10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I just don't think they're as talented as year's past. Harrow should be solid at point. Goodwin is a slasher but his jumper is suspect. Poythress is a man with, according to Cal, a low motor. (Terrence Jones, anyone?) Wiltjer can't guard a stopwatch, but can shoot as well as anyone in CBB. And Cauley-Stein has apparently blossomed, while Noel has struggled.

There's little on the bench beyond a big man unless Mays can turn it on his senior year, or Hood finally discovers that he's 6'7" and can shoot.

Cal's done more with less, and no one should doubt him after the Final Four team two years ago, but this team has a long, long way to go. I suspect they'll struggle early, get on a roll, but anything more than the Sweet 16 should be considered gravy. They just don't have the shooters beyond a power forward.

WMR
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I just don't think they're as talented as year's past. Harrow should be solid at point. Goodwin is a slasher but his jumper is suspect. Poythress is a man with, according to Cal, a low motor. (Terrence Jones, anyone?) Wiltjer can't guard a stopwatch, but can shoot as well as anyone in CBB. And Cauley-Stein has apparently blossomed, while Noel has struggled.

There's little on the bench beyond a big man unless Mays can turn it on his senior year, or Hood finally discovers that he's 6'7" and can shoot.

Cal's done more with less, and no one should doubt him after the Final Four team two years ago, but this team has a long, long way to go. I suspect they'll struggle early, get on a roll, but anything more than the Sweet 16 should be considered gravy. They just don't have the shooters beyond a power forward.

Fortunately for UK they're not playing teams from last year or two years ago.

Saying the ceiling for a preseason top 3 team is the sweet 16 isn't logical.

WMR
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Current odds from one online sportsbook....

Odds to win the 2012-2013 Men's NCAA Basketball Championship
All wagers have action

Kentucky

13/2

Indiana

8/1

Louisville

17/2

UCLA

12/1

North Carolina

14/1

Duke

18/1

Kansas

20/1

Michigan

20/1

North Carolina State

20/1

Ohio State

20/1

Syracuse

20/1

Arizona

25/1

Florida

25/1

Florida State

25/1

Michigan State

25/1

Missouri

30/1

Memphis

35/1

UNLV

35/1

Stanford

40/1

Texas

40/1

Baylor

50/1

Cincinnati

50/1

Creighton

50/1

Georgetown

50/1

San Diego State

50/1

Tennessee

50/1

Wisconsin

50/1

Gonzaga

55/1

Pittsburgh

60/1

Alabama

65/1

Minnesota

65/1

Notre Dame

65/1

St. John's

65/1

Butler

75/1

California

75/1

Kansas State

75/1

Marquette

75/1

St. Louis

75/1

Texas A&M

75/1

VCU

75/1

Wichita State

75/1

Davidson

Boston Red
10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
It cut off. I am desperate to know what Davidson's odds of winning it all are!

Scrap Irony
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Fortunately for UK they're not playing teams from last year or two years ago.

Saying the ceiling for a preseason top 3 team is the sweet 16 isn't logical.

Never said it was. Their ceiling is national champ.

Their likely spot, IMO, is much lower than their pre-season ranking.

The ranking is as much about how little talent is left in CBB and Calipari's coaching acumen with young players as it is about the team itself. IMO, this team is short athletically (5 great athletes, little else), on the bench (nobody to count on and two 50/50 guys) and shooting (only Wiltjer is a knock-down guy). Not only that, this may be the first Calipari team that will be outside the top 20 in total defense, as Wiltjer's not good, Noel and Cauley-Stein are freshmen, Poythress has a questionable motor, and Harrow is short and slight.

Calipari says they'll run, run, run. I hope so. I love when teams do that. I think they'll be fun to watch play the DDMO, especially with Wiltjer camped in the corner. They could score 80+ a game just about every game. But they'll struggle, IMO, to stop anyone. Especially early. And once teams in the SEC slow it down (and they will), I don't know who'll end up able to score one on one.

WMR
10-03-2012, 08:25 PM
That's a reasonable take, Scrap.

Those guys in Vegas weren't able to build those big hotels by not knowing how to set a line, however. ;)

5TimeWSChamps
10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Harrisons committing tomorrow.

And I'll hold judgement across the board on the shooters until I see how Mays does in Rupp.

Anyone can shoot at Wright State in games that don't matter. But we've seen guys like Barbour, Carrier, etc, who flat out were TERRIBLE with any sort of pressure on them.

WVRed
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Never said it was. Their ceiling is national champ.

Their likely spot, IMO, is much lower than their pre-season ranking.

The ranking is as much about how little talent is left in CBB and Calipari's coaching acumen with young players as it is about the team itself. IMO, this team is short athletically (5 great athletes, little else), on the bench (nobody to count on and two 50/50 guys) and shooting (only Wiltjer is a knock-down guy). Not only that, this may be the first Calipari team that will be outside the top 20 in total defense, as Wiltjer's not good, Noel and Cauley-Stein are freshmen, Poythress has a questionable motor, and Harrow is short and slight.

Calipari says they'll run, run, run. I hope so. I love when teams do that. I think they'll be fun to watch play the DDMO, especially with Wiltjer camped in the corner. They could score 80+ a game just about every game. But they'll struggle, IMO, to stop anyone. Especially early. And once teams in the SEC slow it down (and they will), I don't know who'll end up able to score one on one.

I tend to agree with Scrap.

I will make one prediction though, I do think by the end of the season Archie Goodwin will be your starting PG. I can actually see a lineup of Archie, Poythress, Wiltjer, Nerlens, and WCS on a given night.

Sounds like the Harrison twins are announcing for Kentucky today as well.

WMR
10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I tend to agree with Scrap.

I will make one prediction though, I do think by the end of the season Archie Goodwin will be your starting PG. I can actually see a lineup of Archie, Poythress, Wiltjer, Nerlens, and WCS on a given night.

Sounds like the Harrison twins are announcing for Kentucky today as well.

No way. Harrow all year.

cumberlandreds
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
No way. Harrow all year.

I am looking forward to seeing how Harrow does. I would think he would be ahead any point guard Cal has had since he has been in the system for a year.

Joseph
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
So whats the word on the twins?

WMR
10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
BOOM! :KoolAid::dancingcool:

Joseph
10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
#twinning?

TeamSelig
10-04-2012, 08:30 PM
No way. Harrow all year.

Agree. I think he will be a great player for us.

Ohayou
10-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Yes, I'm sure academics played a part. See you two next June. ;)

WVRed
10-10-2012, 11:19 PM
James Young to announce tomorrow and the only school that he has really had any contact with is Kentucky.

Cats will have three of the top 5 recruits according to ESPN.com and Cal is not done. Julius Randle has also been recruited heavily by Kentucky as well and Andrew Wiggins, considered by many to be the top player in 2014, could reclassify and join them.

This could be the best recruiting class of all time.

LexRedsFan
10-10-2012, 11:56 PM
This could be the best recruiting class of all time.

So in other words, it's Calipari's most recent recruiting class. ;)

WVRed
10-11-2012, 08:43 AM
So in other words, it's Calipari's most recent recruiting class. ;)

I'd say the same could have been said about Davis, Gilchrist, and Teague or Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Orton.

Still, the top PG and SG recruits in the nation who happen to be twin brothers, a SG/SF who is a lefty with a sweet stroke, along with possibly another top 5 recruit who is a 6'9 lefty on the inside (Randle) who reminds me of Terrence Jones. Add in Andrew Wiggins, who is on the same level as Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony in terms of collegiate impact and I think it tops those classes.

cumberlandreds
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
And don't forget Big Blue Madness is tomorrow night.

WMR
10-11-2012, 05:40 PM
As a fan of Cincy pro sports, let me just reiterate, THANK GOD FOR UK BASKETBALL. Bengals and Reds are just annual disappointments, it seems.

Welcome to UK, James Young, BTW.

Scrap Irony
10-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd say the same could have been said about Davis, Gilchrist, and Teague or Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Orton.

Still, the top PG and SG recruits in the nation who happen to be twin brothers, a SG/SF who is a lefty with a sweet stroke, along with possibly another top 5 recruit who is a 6'9 lefty on the inside (Randle) who reminds me of Terrence Jones. Add in Andrew Wiggins, who is on the same level as Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony in terms of collegiate impact and I think it tops those classes.

I'd argue last season's freshmen and the freshmen from 2010 both had better overall classes. So far. But if Randle signs, this one becomes the top. Same with Wiggins. (That said, I don't believe Wiggins will reclassify-- but I do believe Randle is UK-bound.

LexRedsFan
10-11-2012, 08:59 PM
And don't forget Big Blue Madness is tomorrow night.

Can't wait. Got my tickets in hand now.

For now, time to head out to Tin Roof. Keeneland/BBM tomorrow and Two Keys tomorrow night. Gotta get the mind off the Redlegs.

5TimeWSChamps
10-17-2012, 06:53 AM
ESPN's All Access with Kentucky Basketball debuts tonight on ESPN at 7:00pm

cumberlandreds
10-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Marcus Lee is scheduled to announce his college choice this afternoon. Everyone expects it to be Kentucky.

WMR
10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Just need Randle and Wiggins and we can put a bow on this class. :D :D :D

WMR
10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
So I ended up winning one of those final four floor pieces on auction... wasn't cheap but it is gonna look so good in my office.

http://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=164814

TeamSelig
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Anyone want to give a player comparison or scouting report for next season?

SG Aaron Harrison (DE mock = 13th)
PG Andrew Harrison (DE mock = 3rd)
PF Marcus Lee
SG James Young

WMR
10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Young is a deadeye shooter and can also slash... reminds me a bit of James Harden...

Marcus Lee is a Robert Dozier type. he's gonna be here 2-3 years.

Andrew reminds me of Deron Williams a bit except with a better body.

Aaron... hmmm... can't think of a comp right off the bat, he can do it all though. A very well rounded shooting guard.

Scrap Irony
10-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Anyone want to give a player comparison or scouting report for next season?

SG Aaron Harrison (DE mock = 13th)
PG Andrew Harrison (DE mock = 3rd)
PF Marcus Lee
SG James Young

Both Harrison and Young have deep range (25 feet). They're the two best shooters in the class. Harrison in particular is a bit streaky, but when he's on, he's nigh-unstoppable. Very quick, picture-perfect release from the top of the key and extended elbows. Young's best spots are the corners. He's a lefty with another quick release; his feet are set better than most college guys already. He shoots a bit like Tayshaun Prince, in that he's got a set shot style. It hasn't hurt him yet, but may make his susceptible to quick wings who can sky. (Then again, who isn't susceptible to those guys?) Some guys I've talked to have compared him to Milwaukee Buck Michael Redd. That would be pretty high praise, IMO. I'd probably lean to Xavier Henry as a comp.

Andrew Harrison handles well and is a pass-first PG. Plays really physical, tough defense. When he wants to. Motor is a problem for he and his brother. (And Young, fwiw.) Both brothers also tend to show poor body language when things aren't going their way. (Not a big deal, IMO-- they're HS kids. They all do that.) No emotion on the court. Stone faces. Both are tough as well. Andrew in particular can handle contact when he drives. Doesn't have the shot his brother does, but he's just as quick on the release. Wants the ball in his hands all the time. Especially with the game close. Does not often beat himself. PG Harrison has been compared to Deron Williams the most, but one old-timer I respect said he reminded him of Doc Rivers before the bad back. SG Harrison's most-often comp is also old school-- Joe Johnson.

Lee's ultra-athletic. Tall lanky-- can rebound okay, blocks shots very well. Very long arms. Unorthodox around the rim, has a couple nice moves, including a decent turnaround baby hook over his right shoulder that could be very good in time. Must learn to play big, get stronger in the post. Very good passer and ball handler for a big-- won't play any SF unless he finds range. Right now, he's 15 feet... maybe. He'll be interesting to watch. Might end up as a C/PF hybrid, especially if Cauley-Stein returns and Randle signs in the spring. Needs to get stronger in a bad way. Too, Lee should average 20 rebounds a night, but he doesn't do the little things-- blocking out, going after every loose ball, etc, that he will need to do at the next level.

Derek Willis, the forgotten member of the Kentucky class, isn't bad either. He's a multi-year guy, but has consistent range out to 18 now and isn't shy about shooting threes. He really needs to get stronger to live down low or quicker to live outside-- right now, he's a 'tweener. With work, might be a matchup nightmare similar to Wiltjer. But he'll have to shoot much, much better to get there. Could also get really big and live on the block. Athletically, he's not bad, but needs some time to develop. Might be a really solid bench guy in a couple years.

WMR
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey Scrap, I saw a picture of Willis at Keeneland and he's bulked up considerably. Gained at least 15 lbs. since I saw him last, muscle.

He could be an important piece by his Junior year.

Scrap Irony
10-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey Scrap, I saw a picture of Willis at Keeneland and he's bulked up considerably. Gained at least 15 lbs. since I saw him last, muscle.

He could be an important piece by his Junior year.

He needs to decide where he's going to play. His problem (if you want to call it that) is that he's played very little against great competition. Very few elite level summer games, due to injury and choice. As a result, all he is, at this point, is potential. A former HS coach I talked to said there were 30 guys just as good as he was in Louisville alone-- but that none of them were eligible and 6'9". I think both of those are really important.

He doesn't have a great first step, but he's solid with the ball. He takes a while to load up, but he's a PF/C in HS, so he has that time. He's not physical at all, but finishes fairly well through contact. He could go either way.

Scrap Irony
10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Is the Marcus Lee signing the end of the Julius Randle dream?

I've asked others and no one agrees with me, but I don't see how they'll play together. Especially with Young, both Harrisons, Cauley-Stein, and whomever doesn't go pro from this year's Kentucky team.

I also asked about Andrew Wiggins. Looks to be a long shot at this point (to reclassify), but stranger things have happened. Florida State signing his BFF won't hurt them at all, but Wiggins wants a ring AND the star power that goes with it. He understands that a "supporting role" at Kentucky can still garner a national POY award, while averaging 25/6/6 at FSU won't-- unless he can lead them to the Sweet 16 and a couple defeats of Duke and/or UNC.

WMR
10-18-2012, 10:53 PM
No, it's not. I will bet you that one of Randle or Aaron Gordon ends up in this class, plus Wiggins if he re-classifies. Marcus Lee knows he's not One n Done and is fine with coming off the bench.

Razor Shines
10-20-2012, 11:22 PM
So I ended up winning one of those final four floor pieces on auction... wasn't cheap but it is gonna look so good in my office.

http://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=164814

I've got the perfect spot in my bathroom for that.

On an unrelated note, can I borrow that for a week or so?

WVRed
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
After watching the All Access last night, two things:

1. Willie Cauley-Stein is going to be good. Really good. As in one and done good. Nerlens might get all of the preseason hype, but WCS might be one of the better players by the end of the season. I'd love to see him back the following season when we will have a major height disadvantage.

2. I'm sticking to my original prediction. Archie Goodwin will be starting at PG over Ryan Harrow. Harrow isn't vocal enough to lead.

Scrap Irony
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
After watching the All Access last night, two things:

1. Willie Cauley-Stein is going to be good. Really good. As in one and done good. Nerlens might get all of the preseason hype, but WCS might be one of the better players by the end of the season. I'd love to see him back the following season when we will have a major height disadvantage.

2. I'm sticking to my original prediction. Archie Goodwin will be starting at PG over Ryan Harrow. Harrow isn't vocal enough to lead.

1) Cauley-Stein disappears far too often both offensively and defensively, but, yeah, the tools appear to be there, for sure. I cannot imagine how scouts missed his upper one percent athleticism. He's the best running big man I've seen in a few years, his hands appear to be plus-plus, and he plays strong. If he can keep the ball off the floor and take advantage of his full height, he'll leave early. (Though I doubt he'll leave after only one year.) The situation with he and Noel reminds me of Orton and Cousins.

2) Goodwin looked like the best player on the floor last night in the Blue-White scrimmage. If he can consistently knock down the three (two of them last night, IIRC), he's unstoppable offensively. And, though Mays (the Wright State transfer) scored fairly well, he hit some really tough shots. Goodwin played him tough most of the night. (He does need to slow down at times-- he too often gets in too big of a hurry.)

cooperlamar
10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Wiggins is officially reclassifying. If UK can add Wiggins plus either Randle or Gordon = greatest class ever and potentially 40-0. Just a staggering amount of talent on that roster.

WMR
10-25-2012, 05:14 PM
I've got the perfect spot in my bathroom for that.

On an unrelated note, can I borrow that for a week or so?

Razor, I've been thinking about you a lot. A whole lot.

Scrap Irony
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Reporter friend offered $50 that Wiggins would go to the ACC.

Should I make the bet, UK fans?

WMR
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't trade UK's spot with Wiggins for anyone else's.

Scrap Irony
10-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't trade UK's spot with Wiggins for anyone else's.

I've heard FSU is the leader, and he's interested in how he might fit in at Duke. The Young and Harrison committments (so goes the thinking) gives Wiggins an opportunity at a national championship, but severely limits possible minutes.

WMR
10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I've heard FSU is the leader, and he's interested in how he might fit in at Duke. The Young and Harrison committments (so goes the thinking) gives Wiggins an opportunity at a national championship, but severely limits possible minutes.

:lol: Wiggins' minutes aren't getting limited by anyone. He might limit the minutes of someone else though. We're talking about the best high school player since LeBron.

He will be at UK or Florida State, I pick UK.

WVRed
10-25-2012, 08:10 PM

FSU scored a major commitment in his friend Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

Wiggins HS team is playing at Marietta College in early December. If I don't have to work that evening, I might try to get tickets.

WVRed
10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
1) Cauley-Stein disappears far too often both offensively and defensively, but, yeah, the tools appear to be there, for sure. I cannot imagine how scouts missed his upper one percent athleticism. He's the best running big man I've seen in a few years, his hands appear to be plus-plus, and he plays strong. If he can keep the ball off the floor and take advantage of his full height, he'll leave early. (Though I doubt he'll leave after only one year.) The situation with he and Noel reminds me of Orton and Cousins.

2) Goodwin looked like the best player on the floor last night in the Blue-White scrimmage. If he can consistently knock down the three (two of them last night, IIRC), he's unstoppable offensively. And, though Mays (the Wright State transfer) scored fairly well, he hit some really tough shots. Goodwin played him tough most of the night. (He does need to slow down at times-- he too often gets in too big of a hurry.)

I find the Orton-Cousins comparison interesting, because to my knowledge Cal never used the two together. He used Orton as a backup for Cousins and nothing else. Cal has said he might use WCS and Noel together.

cumberlandreds
10-26-2012, 07:49 AM

No matter where he goes he is going to get the minutes. He will be the first pick of the NBA draft no matter where he goes also. Its a matter of where he thinks he has the best opportunity to win a national championship. Right now with what UK is bringing in next season and with a possible holdover or two from this years team you would have think it would be UK. It's up to him in the end of what he wants.

cumberlandreds
10-26-2012, 07:50 AM
I find the Orton-Cousins comparison interesting, because to my knowledge Cal never used the two together. He used Orton as a backup for Cousins and nothing else. Cal has said he might use WCS and Noel together.

On the All Access show Cal was talking with Joe B on how to use two big men at once. Not a bad guy to go to there for advice.

Scrap Irony
10-26-2012, 02:39 PM
No matter where he goes he is going to get the minutes. He will be the first pick of the NBA draft no matter where he goes also. Its a matter of where he thinks he has the best opportunity to win a national championship. Right now with what UK is bringing in next season and with a possible holdover or two from this years team you would have think it would be UK. It's up to him in the end of what he wants.

His minutes at Kentucky would be more limited than his minutes at FSU. So would his shot attempts. If he wants to be The Man, UK isn't the place to be. Even Calipari has used this as a selling point.

And, while you may be right in his focus on a national championship, Wiggins has family (both parents are FSU grads) and friends (Rathan-Mayes is his BFF, IIRC) to consider. I'd love to see Wiggins in Lexington, if only because I really like Calipari and Wiggins is (by all accounts) a great player, but, were I him, I don't know if that pull of a possible 40-0 national championship team is enough.

I do, however, think Calipari's recent musings on a possible unbeaten team in the NCAA is genius. He's separating himself from the rest of the coaches-- go elsewhere and chase a possible NCAA Championship. Come to Kentucky, and chase history. The insinuation is that Kentucky is again somehow above the rest of CBB. (I'm convinced he would have made millions as an ad exec, had he chosen to go into that type of business.) This has to be attractive to those super, ultra-high level prospects he recruits. Not only are we good enough to win an NCAA crown, if enough of us sign together, we could do something no one has done in 35 years.

Scrap Irony
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
On the All Access show Cal was talking with Joe B on how to use two big men at once. Not a bad guy to go to there for advice.

The only reason the Twin Towers worked at Kentucky is because both Turpin and Bowie could hit the 15-footer at a high clip.

Neither Cauley-Stein nor Noel can do that, as of now. That means teams will slough off and double-team the post front and back, banking on the inability of either to hit enough of those to matter.

Calipari's a great coach, but even he may struggle teaching 7-foot 18-year-olds how to hit 60% of their elbow jumpers after they've been shoved under a basket their entire lives. Especially considering he'd have only a month or two to teach it.

cooperlamar
10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
UK is the heavy favorite for Wiggins according to most recruiting insiders. I don't know why anyone would doubt Calipari - seems he can get about any recruit he wants at this point.

WVRed
10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
UK is the heavy favorite for Wiggins according to most recruiting insiders. I don't know why anyone would doubt Calipari - seems he can get about any recruit he wants at this point.

I'd call them a favorite, but I'm not discounting FSU either. As Scrap put it, both of his parents graduated from there and his HS buddy is going there. Leonard Hamilton has that connection and Cal already has Aaron Harrison and James Young on the wings. Wiggins would likely push one of them to the bench and given the extra bodies, he wouldn't be the "star" at Kentucky.

I guess it depends on which way to look at it. Come to Kentucky, be one of many and play on a team that will likely chase history, or go to FSU and chase UNC and Duke while being the "man". One possibility to consider though, if Jabari Parker ends up at Duke, that will be an interesting chase in the ACC if Wiggins goes to FSU.

On a side note, Kentucky will be playing a loaded schedule that season, so an undefeated season would be an amazing feat given they will be playing Michigan State in Chicago, Baylor in Jerryworld, UNC in Chapel Hill, Louisville at Rupp, and possibly Duke on a neutral site to be named later.

WMR
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
UK ranked number one by kenpom...

Playadlc
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Trying to settle a bet. I am really not trying to flame here. I promise. Did UK hang a banner of some sort for the 1992 team that lost in the Elite 8?

I really don't care either way if they did, just wanted to know.

WMR
10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Nope, they did retire the 5 starters jerseys immediately after the game though... (CM Newton flexing his muscles...)

UK only hangs banners for championships, final fours, and championship runner ups.

WMR
10-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah: ACTUAL championships... We don't try to pass off Helms titles as legitimate championships (cough UNC & KU cough)...

Razor Shines
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
From what I've heard out of Kentucky fans, IU renamed Assembly Hall "Last Second Shot" after they beat UK last year. Or something like that.

Playadlc
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Nope, they did retire the 5 starters jerseys immediately after the game though... (CM Newton flexing his muscles...)

UK only hangs banners for championships, final fours, and championship runner ups.

Gotcha. Thanks.

WMR
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
From what I've heard out of Kentucky fans, IU renamed Assembly Hall "Last Second Shot" after they beat UK last year. Or something like that.

I can tell you've been thinking about that shot a lot. A whole lot.

Revering4Blue
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Nice, enlightening article about a former UK star.

The most dynamic point guard in Los Angeles plays for the Clippers. And he doesn't even start.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/clippers/post/_/id/2814/clippers-mvp-candidate-eric-bledsoe

WVRed
11-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Watched half of the exhibition last night:

Archie Goodwin will either be a star by the end of the season, or a ballhog that would make Ramel Bradley jealous. There will be no in-between. For those who missed the All Access on Thursday, Cal was exceptionally hard on Goodwin and Harrow both and it will be interesting to see who finishes the season at PG.

I'm not sold on Alex Poythress. He has the skills to be a solid player, but his motor is highly questionable. Hopefully Cal gets it straightened out.

When Nerlens and WCS were on the floor at the same time, the whole dynamic of the team changed. Nerlens actually had a better offensive game than I thought he would.

I see Wiltjer having a sophomore slump. His main strength is shooting the ball and this year more teams will be geared up to stop him. He struggles rebounding and on defense which may limit his actual minutes in a game as well.

Northwood's head coach was Rollie Massimino. Didn't even know he was still around.

I'm not trying to be negative, but this is going to be a learning curve with really no veteran leadership to speak of on this team. This team reminds me of Cal's second team after Wall, Cousins, etc. Good building blocks in place with a couple more ingredients for a run at the 2014 trophy.

WMR
11-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Disagree with most of that...

There will be growing pains, but I'm frankly sort of amazed that people are still doubting Cal's methods.

cumberlandreds
11-03-2012, 08:30 PM

There will be growing pains, but I'm frankly sort of amazed that people are still doubting Cal's methods.

Same here. This will be a good team. It will take a few losses early but in the end they will be a contender for the title. That's all you can really ask.

WVRed
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting Cal's methods, but there is lesser talent than there has been at any time during Cal's tenure here at Kentucky. This team could make it back to the Final Four just because the overall NCAA talent level is down, but I think there will be struggles early on and possibly on the road in SEC play, just like two years ago.

I just think the stage is being set for next season, just like two years ago when building up for last season.

Boston Red
11-07-2012, 11:48 AM
The NCAA decided that UK has to deal with Dez Wells Friday night. That should make things more interesting.

WMR
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm glad the NCAA got it right for once... Sad it even had to be appealed.

Boston Red
11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Sad that Xavier screwed him over in the first place.

WMR
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Further repercussions of the brawl...

gilpdawg
11-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Was just watching Spurs/Clips. Bledsoe is playing out of his mind right now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

WMR
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Could Bledsoe end up being better than Wall????

Surely not, but he has definitely had the better NBA career so far...

gilpdawg
11-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Could Bledsoe end up being better than Wall????

Surely not, but he has definitely had the better NBA career so far...

I watch A LOT of pro hoops, and what I've seen from Wall, he needs to be on a team where he isn't the main option. He can put up numbers on a crap team, but he doesn't really make the Wizards better. He would be a perfect fit for a balanced team like Indiana or Miami (or the Clips if Paul leaves via FA) where he would have a lot of weapons and do what he does best. If he's your top scorer your team isn't very good. If he's a pure point and facilitator and second or third option he'd be nails. He's a very good player but I don't see him being a superduper star like a lot of people thought he would be.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

5TimeWSChamps
11-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Bledsoe's probably in the Top 3 pure athletes in the league

WMR
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Well, things start "FOR REAL" tonight...

I saw a line favoring UK by 10.5 over the Terps...

That seems a bit high to me with so many freshmen playing their first real college game ever, but these guys in Vegas usually know their stuff.

Excited to see this new team continue to grow.

WMR
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Cal and the team ended up raising about a million dollars for the Hurricane Sandy victims.

Really awesome that Cal uses his platform at UK to do things like this.

Scrap Irony
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Cal and the team ended up raising about a million dollars for the Hurricane Sandy victims.

QFT.

He's the most unique basketball coach in the game today.

There's not another like him.

dabvu2498
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM

Does he know Hurricane Sandy isn't a 6'10 power forward?

WMR
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Does he know Hurricane Sandy isn't a 6'10 power forward?

Fail.

How bad is Vandy going to be this year? :D

WMR
11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
This is the worst rebounding game for a UK team I can remember. Ever.

Stray
11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
So is Polson gonna be the new Jorts? That was a sloppy but entertaining game to watch...and that big dude for the Terps is legit.

dabvu2498
11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
How bad is Vandy going to be this year? :D

Friggin miserable.

gilpdawg
11-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Fail.

That was wrong, but I chuckled.

WMR
11-10-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCi_PIz5ekU

WVRed
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
So is Polson gonna be the new Jorts? That was a sloppy but entertaining game to watch...and that big dude for the Terps is legit.

I like Polson but if it's middle of the season and he is getting minutes, Kentucky could be in trouble.

Harrow doesn't have the leadership skills in a Cal PG and Goodwin tries to do everything by himself. Turgeon admitted he had done ZERO planning on Polson and I'm sure Coach K hasn't made that mistake by Tuesday.

I hope I am wrong, but while I like seeing Kentucky boys living the dream, it's kinda like Stillman White last year for UNC.

WVRed
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Harrow out tomorrow vs Duke according to Dick Vitale.

Bob Knight will also be on the panel calling the game tomorrow. Any chance I could find Tom Leach calling the game over the internet and mute the TV?

WMR
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I wonder if Bobby is going to be able to act like an adult for the entire broadcast?

Scrap Irony
11-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I wonder if Bobby is going to be able to act like an adult for the entire broadcast?

Has he ever?

ESPN is looking for ratings. By pairing Knight with his beloved student and the team he loathes, it makes for good water cooler discussion the next day. Of course, color commentary goes by the wayside during the game, but that's beside the point.

WMR
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Duke should honestly be ashamed of how they play the sport of basketball.

Just shameful flopping.

Cal is right, NCAA should adopt the NBA rule in regards to flopping.

WMR
11-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Duke has definitely been the better team, UK has a lot of improving to do if they're going to be a serious contender.

WVRed
11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Loved Cal's comment about the flopping. I'm betting that will be a soundbite for tomorrow on all the talk radio shows.

I'd like to see a rematch of this game in March. Kentucky will improve while Duke will likely be a top 5 team throughout the year.

Wiltjer was unable to get free all night. Alex Poythress had the game of his life, and looks like he is starting to step up. Goodwin is going to be a player who will make a great play on one possession, then do something boneheaded the next.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No. Senior. Leadership. No Darius Miller, no Josh Harrellson, no Ramon Harris or Perry Stevenson even. None. Julius Mayes is the closest one and coming from the A-10 it's an adjustment for him as well.

This team has some growing up to do, but this was a game I thought they would lose.

TeamSelig
11-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Had to work, I missed the game.

What's the deal? Is Dook a top team and we just fell short? Or do we have some worrying to do? Obviously it's really early, but are we more of a Top 10-15 team than Top 5? Worse? Just curious on your guys' thoughts.

improbus
11-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior leadership is great. A PG would be even better. Last year, I remember thinking that the biggest change in the Cats from game one to the end of the season was the improvement of Teague. He went from being a shaky guy who seemed to shy away from the moment to someone who was an attacker and another weapon. Harrow is going to have to be great for this team to have any chance. There was alot of reckless and clueless basketball last night.

mdccclxix
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
From an outside observer I thought there was equal talent on the floor for both teams but Duke did have a lot of composure and execution. I'd expect UK to challenge for the SEC title, though.

Boston Red
11-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Julius Mayes is the closest one and coming from the A-10 it's an adjustment for him as well.

It he was coming from the A-10, the adjustment wouldn't be that difficult (particularly once you get into the SEC schedule). But he's not.

dabvu2498
11-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm surprised at how bad an one on one defender Noel is. He's a decent weak-side shot blocker, but man-o-a-man-o, Plumlee worked him out, with and without the ball.

WVRed
11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Had to work, I missed the game.

What's the deal? Is Dook a top team and we just fell short? Or do we have some worrying to do? Obviously it's really early, but are we more of a Top 10-15 team than Top 5? Worse? Just curious on your guys' thoughts.

I think UK was overrated to start the season. For a team having only one returning contributor (Wiltjer) and a bunch of new faces to be ranked third in the nation is a bit of a stretch. I'd say by the middle of the season, we'll be in the top 10-15, but closer to the SEC tournament, we will be a legit threat for a National Championship, similar to two years ago.

Senior leadership is great. A PG would be even better. Last year, I remember thinking that the biggest change in the Cats from game one to the end of the season was the improvement of Teague. He went from being a shaky guy who seemed to shy away from the moment to someone who was an attacker and another weapon. Harrow is going to have to be great for this team to have any chance. There was alot of reckless and clueless basketball last night.

Not sure who you're talking about with senior leadership. You need someone who can step up and make a shot and calm down the team and basically rally the troops. Darius Miller did that a lot last year. I haven't seen that from Mayes, and he is in the same boat as everybody else, trying to learn a new offense.

If Harrow doesn't grasp PG under Cal, it will come down to Archie Goodwin. I think Goodwin can do it if he buys in, but he is right now the most frustrating player on the court.

WMR
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I felt sort of bad about the game until UK made their comeback run. Coming back like that showed me a ton. This team is gonna be GOOD at the end of the year. Still believe we've got as good a chance as anyone to end up cutting down the nets again.

On a semi-related note: It's funny how much more patient I am when it comes to UK basketball now that we've got another national championship in our back pocket. :D

WMR
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Poythress is a BEAST. When he learns to play an entire game like he shows in flashes, WATCH OUT. Gotta hurt Vandy fans seeing that guy play. He is going to be a stud.

LexRedsFan
11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Really wish Lamb would have come back. Barely getting any clock with the Bucks so far, and we could have used him to steady the hand at PG last night without Harrow.

Oh well..Just something that crossed my mind last night. Besides that, pretty pleased with the effort.

LexRedsFan
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised at how bad an one on one defender Noel is. He's a decent weak-side shot blocker, but man-o-a-man-o, Plumlee worked him out, with and without the ball.

If I remember right, Cousins and Davis got worked one-on-one early in the season last year and in '09-10.

dabvu2498
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
If I remember right, Cousins and Davis got worked one-on-one early in the season last year and in '09-10.

Davis was never ever near as bad as Noel is right now.

Poythress is a BEAST. When he learns to play an entire game like he shows in flashes, WATCH OUT. Gotta hurt Vandy fans seeing that guy play. He is going to be a stud.

He'd look good in black and gold, no doubt... But he's not good enough to get them from what they have now to the NCAA tourney this year. And if he's a one-and-done, then having him on West End would have done Vandy no good.

improbus
11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Not sure who you're talking about with senior leadership. You need someone who can step up and make a shot and calm down the team and basically rally the troops. Darius Miller did that a lot last year. I haven't seen that from Mayes, and he is in the same boat as everybody else, trying to learn a new offense.

If Harrow doesn't grasp PG under Cal, it will come down to Archie Goodwin. I think Goodwin can do it if he buys in, but he is right now the most frustrating player on the court.
What I meant was that if it came down to a great PG (freshman or not) or senior leadership, give me the PG.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
This year is wide open, because it's such a down year for college basketball. Indiana and Louisville are the weakest preseason 1-2 we've possibly ever seen. They are basically the same two teams that finished mid-pack in their conferences last year, and now they're supposed to be the top two teams in the country?

In February, UofL fans wanted Pitino gone, because their season was such a disappointment. They reached the Final Four only because Florida completely choked away the Elite Eight game. Indiana beat two really weak teams in the NCAA tournament, and finished the regular season with a 9-8 record over their last 17 games (or something like that).

If those are the two best teams in the country, college basketball is at an all-time low. I'll take my chances with this young Kentucky team that will grow by leaps and bounds between now and March. A November loss to a veteran group of Duke floppers means nothing.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Davis was never ever near as bad as Noel is right now.
Are you talking about the same Noel who had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks against a top ten Duke team, in only his second college game? The same Noel who would be a Senior in high school this year if not for re-classifying?

There is nothing "bad" about Noel. Good grief, man, you've lost your mind.

dabvu2498
11-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Are you talking about the same Noel who had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks against a top ten Duke team, in only his second college game? The same Noel who would be a Senior in high school this year if not for re-classifying?

There is nothing "bad" about Noel. Good grief, man, you've lost your mind.

Defensively, man to man, he's not good. That was my original point.

Davis was far superior, defensively, to Noel.

joshnky
11-15-2012, 12:14 PM
This year is wide open, because it's such a down year for college basketball. Indiana and Louisville are the weakest preseason 1-2 we've possibly ever seen. They are basically the same two teams that finished mid-pack in their conferences last year, and now they're supposed to be the top two teams in the country?

In February, UofL fans wanted Pitino gone, because their season was such a disappointment. They reached the Final Four only because Florida completely choked away the Elite Eight game. Indiana beat two really weak teams in the NCAA tournament, and finished the regular season with a 9-8 record over their last 17 games (or something like that).

If those are the two best teams in the country, college basketball is at an all-time low. I'll take my chances with this young Kentucky team that will grow by leaps and bounds between now and March. A November loss to a veteran group of Duke floppers means nothing.

You might be a little biased. This year's Louisville team has a healthy Siva and Blackshear, has worked Kevin Ware into the mix, and adds Montrez Harrel who looks very good. They still can't shoot but the defense is solid and their front court is as good as anyone's.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Defensively, man to man, he's not good. That was my original point.

Davis was far superior, defensively, to Noel.
Anthony Davis may have been the best college basketball freshman of all-time. Or at least top five or ten all-time. It's not fair to compare any other college freshman to Anthony Davis, especially one that's played a grand total of two games.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
You might be a little biased. This year's Louisville team has a healthy Siva and Blackshear, has worked Kevin Ware into the mix, and adds Montrez Harrel who looks very good. They still can't shoot but the defense is solid and their front court is as good as anyone's.
There's no bias in saying that Louisville fans wanted both Pitino and Siva gone back in February. They were that bad. It's also not biased to say the only reason UofL made the Final Four is Florida had one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the tournament. Louisville also lost their two best shooters off a very poor shooting team. That team being ranked #2 only means that this is a very, very down year for college basketball.

dabvu2498
11-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Anthony Davis may have been the best college basketball freshman of all-time. Or at least top five or ten all-time. It's not fair to compare any other college freshman to Anthony Davis, especially one that's played a grand total of two games.

I tend to agree. However, I'm not the one who made the comparison. I just said he wasn't very good defensively.

Re-reading prior posts in the thread may be helpful.

joshnky
11-15-2012, 03:33 PM
There's no bias in saying that Louisville fans wanted both Pitino and Siva gone back in February. They were that bad. It's also not biased to say the only reason UofL made the Final Four is Florida had one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the tournament. Louisville also lost their two best shooters off a very poor shooting team. That team being ranked #2 only means that this is a very, very down year for college basketball.

Whatever. I was just pointing out that Siva wasn't the same after a December injury. Also, Smith and Kuric were hardly all stars. Hancock replaces Smith and Ware and Blackshear are far more talented than Kuric.

Last years Louisville team was projected as an elite eight team to start the year. Injuries led to them underachieving and they later overacheived in the tourney. They may be slightly overrated but this same team would still be top five in most years.

WMR
11-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Bro how can you say this?

Louisville has:
- The fastest PG in the history of college basketball
- The greatest transfer in the history of college basketball (He was also the BEST player on the team, LAST YEAR!)
- A "BEAST" Power Forward who is a Charles Barkley clone (Better than Mashburn???)
- Possibly the greatest late pick-up freshman in the history of College basketball (another BEAST, BTW)
- The best player in the history of Chicago high school basketball
- The greatest shot blocker to ever come out of Africa

If only Marra wasn't injured, you could add greatest shooter in the history of college basketball to the list... :(

joshnky
11-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Louisville has:
- The greatest transfer in the history of college basketball (He was also the BEST player on the team, LAST YEAR!)
- A "BEAST" Power Forward who is a Charles Barkley clone (Better than Mashburn???)
- Possibly the greatest late pick-up freshman in the history of College basketball (another BEAST, BTW)

If only Marra wasn't injured, you could add greatest shooter in the history of college basketball to the list... :(

I don't think I've said any of this.

Where do you think this Louisville team would have been ranked last November?

New York Red
11-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I tend to agree. However, I'm not the one who made the comparison. I just said he wasn't very good defensively.

Re-reading prior posts in the thread may be helpful.
My bad. I went back and read the previous posts before I posted earlier. Even now, it's a little confusing as to what you were saying. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Louisville has:

Rick, is that you? :laugh:

New York Red
11-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Louisville has:

By the way, the great Luke Hancock -- the best player on the team and the answer to UofL's shooting woes, according to Pitino -- after two games, is averaging 6 points a game on 4-22 shooting, and 3-19 shooting from outside the arc. He also has more turnovers than assists.

:thumbup:

Razor Shines
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't think I've said any of this.

That's ok, he thinks Tom Crean has petitioned the NCAA to force Kentucky to build a monument commemorating IU beating them in front of Rupp.

WMR
11-15-2012, 11:34 PM
That's ok, he thinks Tom Crean has petitioned the NCAA to force Kentucky to build a monument commemorating IU beating them in front of Rupp.

A shrine for a regular season victory and Sweet 16 rings!! :laugh::laugh::lol::lol:

Crean has been thinking about that Sweet 16 loss a lot. A whole lot. :lol:

improbus
11-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I love teasing UL, IU, and OSU fans. But, it is really cool that the top 4 teams in the country are no more than 3 hours apart from one another. Maybe we should skip the NCAA tournament and have a KOI tourney.

WMR
11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Rick, is that you? :laugh:

Direct from my favorite booth in Porcini's.

Marking off the days until 2017...

Working on my next list of superlatives. :lol:

Scrap Irony
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM

8th or 9th, IMO.

They can't shoot at all. Worse, there's no one on the roster who even looks like a shooter at this point. At this point in last season, UNC and Kentucky own talent that looked far superior. Syracuse was rounding into the third team in the talent troika, while OSU as good as anyone in the country. Baylor looked really tough, with both shooters and length. UConn was long, had shooters, could play suffocating D, and had a game-changing center who'd just signed an LOI. Vandy had three outstanding seniors who were all NBA-ready. Duke had the best freshman in the country, a great supporting cast, and Coach K. Florida had Brad Beal, two great SEC guards already, and another guard who'd shown flashes of stardom at a smaller school, not to mention a stud inside and a streaky matchup nightmare.

This year's Louisville team has Peyton Siva, who's always been inconsistent. He's Tyshawn Taylor without the extra gear.
They have an undersized power forward, who needs to play with a full-out motor and be that bell cow if their team has any chance of outscoring you.
They have a defense-first center, who's developing offensive game holds promise, but is still inconsistent. (There's a trend here.)
Russ Smith is mercurial; he's never met a shot he didn't like.
The others are okay; Blackshear looks like an athlete, but can't shoot. Neither can Ware.

Aside from the shooting, they remind me of last year's Kansas team. But that shooting may mean an upset a round or three earlier than expected. What many NCAA teams have discovered over the past 20 years or so is that your team has to be good at both offense and defense. Shooting percentages matter.

New York Red
11-17-2012, 12:08 PM
This UK team is going to be another monster come March. Noel, Poythress and Goodwin are phenoms. Kyle Wiltjer is leading the country in 3-pt FG percentage at 63.2%. Just need to get Harrow back, and apparently that will be our next game. If he can just be adequate and steady, this is potentially another championship team.

Scrap Irony
11-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Talked to a former sportswriting friend who was watching Andrew Wiggins play in Scott County. He saw Coach Calipari, Kenny Payne, Orlando Antigua, and a couple players (Polson and Wiltjer) make the trip.

FWIW, his view on Wiggins: best athlete he's seen in high school basketball in a long, long time. His vertical is astounding, at least 40 inches. He's seen multiple dunks wherein Wiggins' head was at, over, or near the rim (!). Quick release on his jumper with unlimited range, though he tends to play a bit too fast at times and can shoot himself out of a game. Plays hard. Defense needs work, as he stands straight up when he plays. Didn't play well today, according to friend.

Opinion on Wiggins at Kentucky: likely. Mentioned Calipari's ability to merge egos, talents into a team, focus on possible unbeaten season, rather than national championship. Worry, according to scuttlebutt, is UNC/ Duke/ OSU, not Florida State, at this point.

WMR
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Zeller has the most ironic nickname ever...

Did Crean give him that nickname? I bet he had to think about it a lot. A whole lot.

IMO this is the softest #1 since Bama in 2003.

I think Oladipo is better than little Z right now...

UL will take about 35 3 point shots in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAAT and lose, book it.

WMR
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Talked to a former sportswriting friend who was watching Andrew Wiggins play in Scott County. He saw Coach Calipari, Kenny Payne, Orlando Antigua, and a couple players (Polson and Wiltjer) make the trip.

FWIW, his view on Wiggins: best athlete he's seen in high school basketball in a long, long time. His vertical is astounding, at least 40 inches. He's seen multiple dunks wherein Wiggins' head was at, over, or near the rim (!). Quick release on his jumper with unlimited range, though he tends to play a bit too fast at times and can shoot himself out of a game. Plays hard. Defense needs work, as he stands straight up when he plays. Didn't play well today, according to friend.

Opinion on Wiggins at Kentucky: likely. Mentioned Calipari's ability to merge egos, talents into a team, focus on possible unbeaten season, rather than national championship. Worry, according to scuttlebutt, is UNC/ Duke/ OSU, not Florida State, at this point.

UNC, Duke and OSU have no shot.

It's FSU or UK, with UK still feeling like they lead.

I would be amazed if he didn't pick UK.

WMR
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Some chatter that Harrow could be done at UK!!

Not sure what his deal is, but he has gone home to deal with "family matters"... Would not be surprised to see this be the end of his UK career, hopefully not!

Polson better put his big boy pants on, and Mays and Goodwin will need to step up in a big way.

jmac
11-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Cal talked before the game and sounded like Harrow might be back next week but ya never know. Guess we'll wait and see. They certainly could have used some better point play against Duke.

cumberlandreds
11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Some chatter that Harrow could be done at UK!!

Not sure what his deal is, but he has gone home to deal with "family matters"... Would not be surprised to see this be the end of his UK career, hopefully not!

Polson better put his big boy pants on, and Mays and Goodwin will need to step up in a big way.

JMO but I think Harrow went home to decide if he's going to stay at UK. Cal has probably given him the weekend to make decision. I don't what has happened but something certainly has. You would think with his being at UK last year he should have seen the pressure Cal puts on his point guards.
Also with Sean Woods comments this week and his actions last night makes his look like nothing but a jerk. Morehead officals are meeting with him tomorrow and will decide on a punishment for him regarding his actions to his player during the UK game. Woods is really on thin ice now and it wouldn't surprise me that he won't last much longer at Morehead.

WVRed
11-22-2012, 08:43 PM
JMO but I think Harrow went home to decide if he's going to stay at UK. Cal has probably given him the weekend to make decision. I don't what has happened but something certainly has. You would think with his being at UK last year he should have seen the pressure Cal puts on his point guards.
Also with Sean Woods comments this week and his actions last night makes his look like nothing but a jerk. Morehead officals are meeting with him tomorrow and will decide on a punishment for him regarding his actions to his player during the UK game. Woods is really on thin ice now and it wouldn't surprise me that he won't last much longer at Morehead.

I watched the ESPN All Access and came away thinking Harrow would be pushed to the bench by the end of the season. Cal grilled him harder than any other player but I think Harrow was being asked to be a player that he wasn't. Cal wants a floor general as a PG and Harrow has no vocal presence. That being said though, he spent last year watching Marquis Teague and had to have known whether or not he could be a Cal PG.

I look for Goodwin to be the starting PG by the end of the season. Cal has converted slashing guards to the PG spot and made them into lottery picks in the past (Tyreke Evans) and Goodwin fits that mold. He needs to play more in control and start playing like a PG, but he's the best option going forward. It's a shame with Harrow though because UK essentially has Julius Mays and Jarrod Polson and that's it.

WVRed
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Goodwin with a near triple double as Kentucky beats LIU Brooklyn 104-75

WMR
11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Cats looked turrible tonight. I still believe they'll be ready to go at the end, but that was a rough game to watch.

And Archie isn't a point guard. At all. Harrow missing all this time really, really hurts. It's going to take a while for him to get back into the swing of things.

First true road game and it really showed.

Oh yeah: ND chants overrated and then storms the court at the end. I thought those kids from ND were smart?

jmac
11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Yep, it will take longer with this team as there is no Perry Stevenson, Patrick Patterson, Josh Harrellson, Darius Miller etc to provide any experience.
Should also include Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb with that group.
Agree also, Archie doesnt look like a point guard.

WVRed
11-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Cats looked turrible tonight. I still believe they'll be ready to go at the end, but that was a rough game to watch.

And Archie isn't a point guard. At all. Harrow missing all this time really, really hurts. It's going to take a while for him to get back into the swing of things.

Oh yeah: ND chants overrated and then storms the court at the end. I thought those kids from ND were smart?

He isn't, but I believe he can be. It's going to take a longer learning curve though compared to Knight or Teague. Might be the middle of SEC, or it might be the SEC tournament or NCAA tournament. I think he will get it, but he's going to test fans patience in the process.

wolfboy
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Awww, you mad? :evil:

WMR
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Awww, you mad? :evil:

ND fan?

No, not at all. We just won the National Championship.

You denying that it's pretty dumb to call someone overrated and then rush the floor after you beat them?

Now, if UK was in a conference that was falling apart and no one wanted us, THEN I'd be mad. :evil:

wolfboy
11-30-2012, 07:29 AM
ND fan?

No, not at all. We just won the National Championship.

You denying that it's pretty dumb to call someone overrated and then rush the floor after you beat them?

Now, if UK was in a conference that was falling apart and no one wanted us, THEN I'd be mad. :evil:

Not really. Just stirring the pot. :D. You guys will be fine.

NJReds
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM

I'm an ND fan, and I agree with you. I think rushing the floor is overdone, and should only occur if it is a huge upset (small unranked school beating #1 ranked team), or you win your conference championship or the NCAA championship).

Fans of schools from the major conferences shouldn't be rushing the floor during the regular season.

WMR
11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Not really. Just stirring the pot. :D. You guys will be fine.

:D Nothing wrong with that I suppose. ;)

WMR
11-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm an ND fan, and I agree with you. I think rushing the floor is overdone, and should only occur if it is a huge upset (small unranked school beating #1 ranked team), or you win your conference championship or the NCAA championship).

Fans of schools from the major conferences shouldn't be rushing the floor during the regular season.

I mean, it's definitely a compliment to UK that everyone get so worked up to beat us. UK plays in more t shirt/black out/white out games than anyone in cbb.

I guess it's good they got in their celebrating over beating an SEC team while they could. :D

WVRed
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Kentucky falls to Baylor 64-55, ending a 55 game winning streak at Rupp and the first loss at Rupp since 2009.

Can't really say I'm surprised. This team was overrated to start the season. Add in PG play and Harrows absence and it's been a nightmare so far.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

traderumor
12-01-2012, 04:09 PM
The reload is shooting blanks so far.

WMR
12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
UK is simply not a very good basketball team right now. The offense did look much better when Harrow was in today, which is encouraging. They really need him to get back to 100% ASAP.

Just have patience, guys, we won it all last year and will likely be the odds on favorite to win it next year if these final recruiting pieces turn out like I think they will.

Scrap Irony
12-01-2012, 10:36 PM
... we won it all last year and will likely be the odds on favorite to win it next year if these final recruiting pieces turn out like I think they will.

If Kentucky continues to struggle, the guys there now won't go pro. Noel will go, as he'll be a top five guy.

But Goodwin? He's a 'tweener at this point.

Because of effort issues, so is Poythress.

Wiltjer has been exposed as a Steve Novak clone, complete with stopwatch defense.

Cauley Stein needs another year.

That will effect those final recruiting pieces.

The Harrison guys will be there. So will Harrow and Lee. I don't see how Wiggins comes to Lexington if they've also got Goodwin.

Hoosier Red
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Any chance Calipari does some Spring "Creaning" to clear room for recruits?

Assembly Hall
12-02-2012, 01:51 PM

LOL....had to chime in on that.

Hoosier Red
12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
LOL....had to chime in on that.

It's appararently a bad trait on Crean's part, running guys off the team because he's over recruited. I don't know how pervasive it is, but when he was at Marquette, the term gained traction because he'd do it just about every year.

joshnky
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM

I can't imagine this will be an issue. UK can't have much more than seven true scholarship players. The rest are walk ons that have benefited from the roster turmoil to gain a scholarship. His issue will be convincing recruits that he'll play ten when he has always played with a short bench at Kentucky.

WVRed
12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
I can't imagine this will be an issue. UK can't have much more than seven true scholarship players. The rest are walk ons that have benefited from the roster turmoil to gain a scholarship. His issue will be convincing recruits that he'll play ten when he has always played with a short bench at Kentucky.

If anything, I could see having James Young, the Harrison twins, and possibly Wiggins presence pushing Goodwin and Poythress out the door. Twany Beckham and Uncle Julius are the only two seniors on this team and there are four coming, possibly six. Noel is the only one I see for certain that will be leaving from this years team.

Assembly Hall
12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Sometimes no matter what the recruit is rated, they just never show their talent at the college level. It is speculative at best and not an exact science. Cal has exhibited in the past that he can tranform that raw talent into a pretty dang good team. However, this team isn't looking good so far. I dont know what the exact answer is, but it does create questions concerning next year....if and if this group here and now doesnt find their stride. None of us have any idea what was said to them during their recruiting process, and what their expectations were and are. At this point in time I dont think there is a player in the bunch that would be an immediate impact player at the next level, or even be in the discussion for a lottery pick. Time will tell.........lots of b-ball left to be played.

jmac
12-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I know Cal takes alot of pride in saying UK had x amount of players drafted in first round. However, the number isnt that important if the guys cant cut it in the NBA.
They say it is the second contract you play for and sometimes player ride other people's coat tails as the saying goes.
Orton clearly wasnt ready. Jones recently was sent to the D-league. Teague was rumored to (not sure if he was or not) and Lamb was seeing very limited action.
If some of these kids arent going in the Top 10 or so, I wish they would rethink their leaving early. Yes as a UK fan, part of that is selfish :D, but it would certainly help their developement as well. If Lamb had returned for example, he would be running the point right now and that would be more than likely what gets him that second contract.
As of right now, the only one I can see going this season is Noel but I hope guys like WCS and Goodwin dont leave early just to keep up the Kentucky tradition.
Cal has had the experience in the past but last year's great team probably would never had happened (that particular team I mean) if it had not been for the NBA lockout situation. I doubt Jones and Lamb would have come back for a second year.
I realize the rules are the rules till they change them but this is the first team that Cal has had where there has been no carryover guys Like PP, TJ, Lamb etc. Wiljter came back but he will not be mistaken for Jones anytime soon. ;)
I guess I am saying unless some of these Top recruits like Goodwin, WCS etc start coming back for a second year, this years no experience situation could become the rule rather than the exception.

TeamSelig
12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
It's great that we lose some games the year IU finds some success. I didn't rub it in when UK won the championship, don't see why it is necessary for people to flood facebook with IU wins / UK loses crap

Assembly Hall
12-04-2012, 07:54 AM
I know Cal takes alot of pride in saying UK had x amount of players drafted in first round. However, the number isnt that important if the guys cant cut it in the NBA.
They say it is the second contract you play for and sometimes player ride other people's coat tails as the saying goes.
Orton clearly wasnt ready. Jones recently was sent to the D-league. Teague was rumored to (not sure if he was or not) and Lamb was seeing very limited action.
If some of these kids arent going in the Top 10 or so, I wish they would rethink their leaving early. Yes as a UK fan, part of that is selfish :D, but it would certainly help their developement as well. If Lamb had returned for example, he would be running the point right now and that would be more than likely what gets him that second contract.
As of right now, the only one I can see going this season is Noel but I hope guys like WCS and Goodwin dont leave early just to keep up the Kentucky tradition.
Cal has had the experience in the past but last year's great team probably would never had happened (that particular team I mean) if it had not been for the NBA lockout situation. I doubt Jones and Lamb would have come back for a second year.
I realize the rules are the rules till they change them but this is the first team that Cal has had where there has been no carryover guys Like PP, TJ, Lamb etc. Wiljter came back but he will not be mistaken for Jones anytime soon. ;)
I guess I am saying unless some of these Top recruits like Goodwin, WCS etc start coming back for a second year, this years no experience situation could become the rule rather than the exception.

Very well said. You cant put a price tag on experience, whether it be in the tournament or the regular season. All the guys on UK dont have to hang around but a few would be nice.

WMR
12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
KABOOOM

:cool:

Scrap Irony
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Towns is a very good player who's not only smart, but lives in the gym. The reclassification may drop him on some lists, but his versatility will be a nightmare for other bigs.

Really like his offensive game.

The question is if he can stick with someone defensively. He seems to have slow feet.

WMR
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
4.3 GPA... Class President... Exactly the type of kid you want in your program... Oh yeah, and he ain't too bad at basketball either. ;)

The player I've heard him compared to most often is Dirk. Like Dirk, his D will probably need some work. However, keep in mind he still has 2 full years of development before we'll see him in college, I would expect his improvement trajectory to continue at a very high level.

jmac
12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
UK wins tonight but hard to judge much off a win like this.
However Baylor, who beat UK saturday , is losing at home by double figures late.

cumberlandreds
12-05-2012, 07:50 AM
UK wins tonight but hard to judge much off a win like this.
However Baylor, who beat UK saturday , is losing at home by double figures late.

Good 1st half. They played good defense and played very hard. 2nd half they reverted back to how they played against Baylor and ND. Not much effort and not much defense. For that Camp Cal starts tomorrow morning at 7 am. He said they are out of shape and need extra conditiong. So for the next three weeks they will be up and running at 7 am. Of course they are in good condition. This is just a way Cal is trying to reach this bunch. I think he's totally exasperated with them and this one last ditch effort to get their attention.

WMR
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I know you almost went to DOOK, but c'mon PPatt!! :lol:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/patrick_patterson_recieves_warning_for_worst_flop_ in_nba_history/12307186

New York Red
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
No posts for a week, and during basketball season at that. The BBN is lovin' us some football news right now. Pretty cool. :beerme:

jmac
12-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Okay, it's been awhile since we posted on basketball so might as well do this. :D
Last year,for a majority of the year, I said Teague was the most over rated recruit I could remember in a long time. Granted he came along quite nicely and I would love to have him on this year's team.
This year, I will focus on Alex Pothyress. I am not saying he is the most over rated but rather the most dissappointing I have seen in awhile. He has tons of talent but for some reason, it doesnt seem to be clicking. The quick yank after the non- rebound the other day by Cal seemed to be the microcosm of AP's season so far. Or yet maybe it was Poythress facial expression of "why are you taking me out" that is actually the microcosm.
As for UK as a whole. I have seen a little improvement most notably in the last game but still I think the sweet 16 may be an accomplishment for this team.
I think an SEC record of 11-7 or possibly even 10-8 record may be what we are looking at. Hope I am wrong though.

cumberlandreds
12-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Okay, it's been awhile since we posted on basketball so might as well do this. :D
Last year,for a majority of the year, I said Teague was the most over rated recruit I could remember in a long time. Granted he came along quite nicely and I would love to have him on this year's team.
This year, I will focus on Alex Pothyress. I am not saying he is the most over rated but rather the most dissappointing I have seen in awhile. He has tons of talent but for some reason, it doesnt seem to be clicking. The quick yank after the non- rebound the other day by Cal seemed to be the microcosm of AP's season so far. Or yet maybe it was Poythress facial expression of "why are you taking me out" that is actually the microcosm.
As for UK as a whole. I have seen a little improvement most notably in the last game but still I think the sweet 16 may be an accomplishment for this team.
I think an SEC record of 11-7 or possibly even 10-8 record may be what we are looking at. Hope I am wrong though.

The SEC is really weak again this season. Florida and Missouri are good. Then you have two or three middling teams like Tennessee,Alabama,LSU and maybe Arkansas. After that it's not much but bad. I can't see them losing more than five games in the SEC. It will depend on how well they play on the road though.

jmac
12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
The SEC is really weak again this season. Florida and Missouri are good. Then you have two or three middling teams like Tennessee,Alabama,LSU and maybe Arkansas. After that it's not much but bad. I can't see them losing more than five games in the SEC. It will depend on how well they play on the road though.
Yes the road is where they will probably struggle similar to the Brandon Knight team a couple of year's ago.
They will probably lose at Florida. I could very easily see losses at UT and Alabama. Road games at Arkansas and Georgia and even A & M will not be easy either.
The you have homes games against Florida and Mizzou that will be tough.
Of course all this is based on the UK team we have seen up to this point. Hopefully this team will grow and improve but regardless of the improvement they will still miss that key component they had last year, a veteran.
Several SEC games such as the Vandy game at Nashville, Miller would nail a huge shot that played a part in getting a win.
I just have my doubts on how far this team can go based on that aspect.

WMR
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
What was everyone here doing way back in 1986?

I was getting geared up for entering the pre-school.

BetaMax was still in stiff competition with VHS.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off was tops at the movies...

jmac
12-27-2012, 05:51 PM

I was in High School watching my favorite UK player at the time, Rex Chapman take over Freedom Hall. :D

Joseph
12-27-2012, 08:05 PM
in 1986?

I was in middle school, 6th grade trying to learn how to flirt with girls, though why I don't know.

cumberlandreds
12-28-2012, 08:18 AM

I graduated college in 1986 and started looking for a job. I think I got my first VCR that year too. Also used an ATM for the first time that year.

Tuff Nut
12-28-2012, 08:55 AM
I was working traveling construction, building cooling towers, in GA and the Carolinas, in 1986.
As for this years Cats, I waiting to see how they'll come out,against daCards. They have shown small flashes, but being Cal's youngest team, just don't have that cog, that can pull them together. Someone is going to have to grab the reigns.

WVRed
12-28-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm sure I'll regret posting this. :)

WMR
12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
UK loses to UL in the YUM! Center by 3 points... some encouraging things from this game... Fighting back from down 17 was pretty impressive.

The free throw shooting continues to be an abomination. UK makes their free throws and we win going away.

Of course you always hate to lose to your little brother, but just imagine if we had lost to them in the Final Four... THAT would have been upsetting. :D

Poythress continues to mystify me.

WMR
12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Cal said Poythress is either going to start playing harder or he is going to bench him.

IDK what it's going to take to get this kid's attention. All the ability in the world and acts like he just doesn't give a damn...

Maybe get him in the boxing ring and let Kenny Payne ring his bell a few times... :confused:

jmac
12-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Props to UK for going into the #3 ranked team's homecourt and playing to a 3 point game when it looked like you would get run out of the gym.
The fans were ready for this one and Pitino had Deing coming back (which I figured all along :laugh:), and they got a huge lead and yet UK didnt fold.
In a year in which this could be one of Cal's weaker teams against one of Pitino's better teams, they had Pitino coaching down to the last literal second.Now all that being said, another game with free-throw shooting problems and it is many of the main guys who are going to get fouled.
Noel and Poythress seems to hit less than 50 % despite what their stats show.
Even Goodwin who goes to the line alot isnt what I would like to see for a guy who shoots so many. (he did go 3-4 ) today though.
WCS was 0-4 and was actually 0-6 counting lane violations.
They do seem to be improving a little and it is sad to see games lost on FT shooting when the hustle and drive seems to be there finally.
The SEC will not hold alot of quality win potential except Fla and Mizzou and they probably wont win those.
I still thnk they are "maybe" a sweet 16 team this year.
As far as Poythress, WMR I think you will still be saying these things at end of season.

jmac
01-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I am quoting this again because while listening to the UK pregame on drive home today, someone mentioned the possibilty of UK going 11-7 in the SEC.
Baker said if UK loses 7 in the SEC, they should refuse an invite to the NIT and Oscar said if they lose more than 4, he will be terribly dissappointed.
Of course, they talked about the weak teams in the SEC.
They are playing better than when I said the above, but I still have trouble seeing them going 14-4 in the SEC.
A road game to start against Vandy will be an excellent measuring stick. Vandy is down this year which is the point of the "measuring stick" comment.

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
A road game to start against Vandy will be an excellent measuring stick. Vandy is down this year which is the point of the "measuring stick" comment.

Nah. Vandy isn't much better than Eastern Michigan. Swear to God.

Scrap Irony
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Purdue must really, really suck.

jmac
01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Nah. Vandy isn't much better than Eastern Michigan. Swear to God.

Thats actually what I was saying. I meant this year, UK should go in there and win rather handily. I was basically saying "let's see if they do". :)

cumberlandreds
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm getting encouraged by UK's play the last two games. Cal seems to have gotten through to them. I know Eastern Michigan isn't much but the way UK played last night was great. They pushed the petal down and never let up. Even Poythress gave much better effort than he had been doing. If they play like they did last two games they won't lose more than four in the conference. Road play will be the key. They haven't won on the road yet. Vandy will be a good measuring point even with Vandy being way down this year,