TOBTTReds
05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Shoulder strain

alexad
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
WOW!!

Vottomatic
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Wow. Hadn't heard anything about this, so I'm surprised. I watched the game last night with the volume off, and didn't listen to any postgame or pregame last night or today.

Maybe he recovers and can do a long rehab stint in Louisville to find his stroke.

_Sir_Charles_
05-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Kc for the win! Well called Kc61

One possibility is to bring back Willie Harris. Willie is now at AAA. The other obvious choice is Mike Costanzo (not sure I spelled it correctly) who hits lefty and plays third. He feasts on righties as I understand.

_Sir_Charles_
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Third baseman Scott Rolen is sitting out and will have his left shoulder evaluated before tonight’s game, Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said.

“He called me today and said it was barking,” Lessard said. ”That’s why we called Doc (Tim Kremchek) to come in and take a look at him. We took a quick look at him, and there’s nothing really specific right now. It’s kind of sore all over.”

Manager Dusty Baker said before the game that Rolen was “not feeling well” but would not go into specifics.

“He’s struggling a little bit,” Baker said. “He’s not feeling real good.”

Rolen, 37, is hitting only .174 with two homers and 11 RBI. He has had four surgeries on his left shoulder since 2005, including a procedure that ended his 2011 season last summer.

Frazier, filling in at third base, said he had not been told anything about Rolen’s condition.

“I don’t know what’s going on, if anything,” Frazier said. “I’m just happy to be playing, raring to go. If he wants me to start a couple days in a row or just one, I’ll be ready.”

The Reds just announced that 3B Scott Rolen has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left shoulder. Infielder Mike Costanzo has been called up from Louisville.

Costanzo, 28, hit .291 with three homers and 11 RBI for Louisville in 23 games. He also played at AA Pensacola this year, with three homers and 13 RBI in 11 games. When Costanzo plays, it will be his major league debut. He is expected to be in uniform for tonight’s Reds game.

~Fayl

Degenerate39
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Whatever happened to Chris Valakia?

_Sir_Charles_
05-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Whatever happened to Chris Valakia?

He started off on fire but then went into a nose dive. Hitting .221 with a .577 ops. Costanzo was the right choice.

Raisor
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
No more Coldplay.

Benihana
05-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope they give Frazier every opportunity to prove he's an everyday player.

If he can't cut it, perhaps it's time to bring Kevin Youkilis home. This could be it for Rolen.

Kc61
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm calling Costanzo to help the ballclub. He'll pinch hit against righies frequently.

Now get me one more lefty hitter, an outfielder perhaps, and we'll have some balance for a change.

camisadelgolf
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Chris Valaika's line in AAA: .264/.298/.366/.663
In other words, I'm okay with giving Mike Costanzo a shot. The only other reasonable possibilities were Willie Harris and Kris Negron. I want to see what the 28-year-old rookie can do.

RBA
05-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Costanzo will be alright as long as the clubhouse showers are not cold.

_Sir_Charles_
05-12-2012, 08:58 PM
In other words, I'm okay with giving Mike Costanzo a shot. The only other reasonable possibilities were Willie Harris and Kris Negron. I want to see what the 28-year-old rookie can do.

You're talking about his career AAA line I guess?

This season it's .221/.253/.324/.577

camisadelgolf
05-12-2012, 09:05 PM
You're talking about his career AAA line I guess?

This season it's .221/.253/.324/.577
Yeah, career line. This is his fourth season in Louisville, so it's not like it's a small sample size. He's just not a good hitter.

Big Klu
05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/124/933/1304376955947.png?1305859987

dabvu2498
05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Was Costanzo already on the 40 man roster?

cinreds21
05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow. I am very happy for Stanzo.

cinreds21
05-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Was Costanzo already on the 40 man roster?

No, but they had room since they took Willie Harris off last week.

dabvu2498
05-12-2012, 09:28 PM
No, but they had room since they took Willie Harris off last week.

Gotcha. Thanks.

cinreds21
05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Anytime.

05-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Reds should trade him to the Marlins. He should have extra value for them, since he's a marine biologist ;)

The Operator
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Reds should trade him to the Marlins. He should have extra value for them, since he's a marine biologist ;)He can do it all... Marine Biologist, Architect, Import/Export, Latex Sales, TV comedy writer.

So, since Costanzo is on the big club... is this... The Summer of George?!?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6105&d=1336872493

Roy Tucker
05-13-2012, 12:49 AM
I love Rolen as an epic pro, but I think that bum shoulder just can't let him play any more.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Hope it's for good too.

Every year he comes out and can't hit anymore and then goes from clean-up or middle of the order hitter to DL'd overnight b/c of a shoulder issue.

Play Frazier the rest of the season and I guarantee he'll out OPS Rolen of 2011/2012. I'm willing to forget the horrible contract they gave Rolen so long as we are done with the experiment.

Now, we all know this will not happen. And Rolen getting to hit 4th, 5th, and 6th reminds me a lot of Griffey's emeritus status in the 3-hole until he was dealt (he couldn't hit anymore then either). Dusty's drug of choice is the aging veteran. I shouldn't feel relieved when we DL guys like Rolen but with the way Dusty abuses what could be a strength with a guy like Rolen, well I felt really at ease to know that we get a two week break from Scotty pop-out.

Matt700wlw
05-13-2012, 02:00 AM
This is probably the last go around for Rolen. I think he knows it, too.

If he wants to remain with the organization after this season in a coaching role of some sort, I hope they give him that opportunity. I think he would provide nothing but good things to the young players, as he has since they brought him here.

RedlegJake
05-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Rolen's shoulder has robbed him of power and if it can't heal with the time he's had off it probably isn't going to at his age. I hope he recognizes it and retires gracefully. Anyway, its time now to let Frazier and Costanzo man third base.

corkedbat
05-13-2012, 02:27 AM

Dorn before Negron

GAC
05-13-2012, 06:14 AM
I love Rolen as an epic pro, but I think that bum shoulder just can't let him play any more.

He's toast. I work with a guy - and mind you we're not talking about a pro ballplayer who plays a tough position (3B). Just think of the strain that just fielding/throwing the ball puts on a healthy shoulder, yet alone one that is ailing/degenerative? - who has had two shoulder surgeries over the last few years due to working on an assembly line (ergonomics). His shoulder will never fully recover, as far as strength/endurance goes, it will never be the same. And there are certain jobs he is restricted from and can no longer perform because of that risk. So why do we think Rolen can still play 3B at the level we have known him for?

He should announce his retirement tomorrow. No shame there. He's had a great career.

We all love Rolen, and I had no problem with the signing as a stopgap measure. But IMO this is where Jocketty "erred" in thinking Rolen would hold up while not grooming/finding a suitable replacement. So that day has come and we now are left to calling up a 28 yr old career minor league player who has bounced from Philly, Houston, Baltimore, and now Cincy. The Orioles released him in 2007 after trying to talk him into converting to pitching. This is a guy who possesses what one scout said was "massive power", but also has a very high K rate. In fact, one said he strikes out so much he should have Casablanca tattooed on his chest. LOL

So I don't have high hopes here looking at his resume, but alas, this is the position this organization has put us in when it comes to 3B.

05-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Reds should trade him to the Marlins. He should have extra value for them, since he's a marine biologist ;)

Being master of his domain he should display great plate discipline, exhibiting superior self control.

_Sir_Charles_
05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Dorn before Negron

Absolutely. I'd love to see Danny get a cup o' joe.

muddie
05-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Costanzo to the Reds is the best baseball news so far this year for me. He's got a family to raise and has ridden a ton of miles on the bus. I really hope things work out for him, he deserves a look.

Kc61
05-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Costanzo to the Reds is the best baseball news so far this year for me. He's got a family to raise and has ridden a ton of miles on the bus. I really hope things work out for him, he deserves a look.

I've read on a number of posts that Costanzo hits righty pitching well. If so, it's a big plus to have him on the bench.

One possibility, though, is that in key spots other teams will bring in lefty relievers to get Constanzo. Dusty could then be forced to "burn" him and substitute a righty bat.

If the idea is to give Frazier a lot of playing time now, there could be some games when Todd plays the outfield with Constanzo at third base.

I don't know much about this player, but he seems to be a decent fit for the Reds current needs. He kind of replaces Francisco on the bench, although they are obviously very different players.

I watched some last night and Constanzo seemed really thrilled to be with the big club. Nice to see, wish him luck.

Gallen5862
05-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Does he have any option years remaining?

cinreds21
05-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Does he have any option years remaining?

He's never been on a 40-man roster.

JaxRed
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
One of the best things about having him as lefty bat? Let's say it's 2 out in the ninth inning, and you're down a run. You have a tough righty on the mound. Your hitter is a righty batting .187. Now you can pinch hit a lefty.

Gallen5862
05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Cinreds21. That is great news that he can be optioned if needed.

Degenerate39
05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
If he starts doing bad we can start saying CANT STAND YA

Team Clark
05-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Heard a banana phone caller this afternoon suggest Rolen as player manager next year. WOW! I like Scotty but really?

mattfeet
05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Heard a banana phone caller this afternoon suggest Rolen as player manager next year. WOW! I like Scotty but really?

The Banana phone attracts asinine callers like poop attracts flies.

BCubb2003
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
I challenge the best minds of RedsZone to mobilize and take over the Banana Phone one of these days. Ask about lineup construction, splitting the lefties, Stubbs hitting eighth. Make it happen.

camisadelgolf
05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I challenge the best minds of RedsZone to mobilize and take over the Banana Phone one of these days. Ask about lineup construction, splitting the lefties, Stubbs hitting eighth. Make it happen.
It'd just turn into an argument over who the best minds of RedsZone are. I suggest we nominate representatives and hold a vote in which I determine whose votes count and don't.

Team Clark
05-14-2012, 12:40 AM
The Banana phone attracts asinine callers like poop attracts flies.

So true! I love the calls "why can't 'we' just trade Heisey and Ludwick for Span and Mauer". Or Bailey, LeCure and a prospect to the Angels for Weaver! LOL Like Walt is blind and dumb and if he would just pick up that phone and make a trade (that would likely get the other GM fired) everything would be all better. :laugh:

GAC
05-14-2012, 05:51 AM
He's never been on a 40-man roster.

What does that tell ya? ;)

mattfeet
05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
My favorite from yesterday was a guy who called in asking when Jay Bruce is going to learn to quit striking out with runners on base. While overall a decent point that I can semi-agree with, he went on to divulge how the Reds have lost 4 games because of this fact alone.

Now, to my favorite part. He mentioned how the Reds are 3.5 games behind the Cardinals (prior to yesterday's game). Had Bruce simply NOT struck out to "lose" those 4 games, the Reds would be 4.5 games AHEAD of the Cardinals.

Now that's some math for ya. ;)

-Matt

camisadelgolf
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21409633&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_21409633&v=3

PuffyPig
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Now, to my favorite part. He mentioned how the Reds are 3.5 games behind the Cardinals (prior to yesterday's game). Had Bruce simply NOT struck out to "lose" those 4 games, the Reds would be 4.5 games AHEAD of the Cardinals.

Now that's some math for ya. ;)

-Matt

It works if those 4 games were all against the Cards.....

Sea Ray
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM

I agree. I had high hopes seeing as how it was surgically repaired with all kinds of recovery time, non throwing shoulder, everyday player and all. If he's still sore after all that then he's done. How many more yrs does he have on his contract?

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree. I had high hopes seeing as how it was surgically repaired with all kinds of recovery time, non throwing shoulder, everyday player and all. If he's still sore after all that then he's done. How many more yrs does he have on his contract?

This is the final year.

CarolinaRedleg
05-14-2012, 12:08 PM
As long as he doesn't start tanking to try to nab a job with the Mets.

Vottomatic
05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
There's a reason I turn off the game during banana phone segments.

Tom Servo
05-14-2012, 12:53 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21409633&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_21409633&v=3
Mike "Good Fundamentals" Costanzo

WMR
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I wonder if his coach or gym teacher ever called him "Can't Stand Ya"?

redsmetz
05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
C. Trent added a little bit on Rolen at the end of his weekly City Beat column on another matter:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Scott Rolen never returned from the disabled list and retired. When he went on the DL this past weekend, he said he felt he was hurting the team and that’s something he didn’t want to do. At this point, he’s 37 and his body looks 37 in a game of younger players. Rolen has a very keen awareness of himself and his abilities, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he just hung it up rather than hurt his team further. As for his replacement, it would seem Todd Frazier has the chance of his lifetime. When asked if Frazier would get the bulk of the playing time in Rolen’s absence, Dusty Baker said, “that depends on Frazier.” So, who is the long-term solution? Again, that may depend on Frazier. But keep an eye on Sycamore graduate Kevin Youkilis, who might be Wally Pipp’d by rookie Will Middlebrooks in Boston. Youkilis has said the only team he’d want to play for other than Boston is his hometown Reds. If healthy, he’d also be the natural fit as a right-handed bat to hit fourth between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce.

buckeyenut
05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
C. Trent added a little bit on Rolen at the end of his weekly City Beat column on another matter:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Scott Rolen never returned from the disabled list and retired. When he went on the DL this past weekend, he said he felt he was hurting the team and that’s something he didn’t want to do. At this point, he’s 37 and his body looks 37 in a game of younger players. Rolen has a very keen awareness of himself and his abilities, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he just hung it up rather than hurt his team further. As for his replacement, it would seem Todd Frazier has the chance of his lifetime. When asked if Frazier would get the bulk of the playing time in Rolen’s absence, Dusty Baker said, “that depends on Frazier.” So, who is the long-term solution? Again, that may depend on Frazier. But keep an eye on Sycamore graduate Kevin Youkilis, who might be Wally Pipp’d by rookie Will Middlebrooks in Boston. Youkilis has said the only team he’d want to play for other than Boston is his hometown Reds. If healthy, he’d also be the natural fit as a right-handed bat to hit fourth between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce.

If rolen retires, that also means we stop paying his 6.5M salary.

kaldaniels
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Nice find redsmetz

bucksfan2
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
If rolen retires, that also means we stop paying his 6.5M salary.

Why would someone retire and forefit $6.5M. Rolen isn't going to retire until the season is over at best. The Reds may shift him to the longer DL but thats about it.

If Rolen and the Reds think that he will never play again I can see them making a move for Youk. And to be honest having his bat in the lineup would be a huge boost to the Reds.

Tom Servo
05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Why would someone retire and forefit $6.5M.
Lots of players have done it, for even larger amounts of money.

dougdirt
05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Why would someone retire and forefit $6.5M. Rolen isn't going to retire until the season is over at best. The Reds may shift him to the longer DL but thats about it.

If Rolen and the Reds think that he will never play again I can see them making a move for Youk. And to be honest having his bat in the lineup would be a huge boost to the Reds.

Kerry Wood just retired. He had over $2M left on the table. Scott Rolen has made over $100,000,000 in his playing career. I doubt that he would be hurting if he left $5M on the table.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
When you have made as much as Rolen a couple of million really doesn't matter. I said while he was struggling that I thought he may retire if couldn't pick it up by July. Its starting to sound like he may just do that with this latest setback.

PuffyPig
05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Kerry Wood just retired. He had over $2M left on the table. Scott Rolen has made over $100,000,000 in his playing career. I doubt that he would be hurting if he left $5M on the table.

I wouldn't be surpised if he's being allowed to "retire" and will still make his money. If he knows he isn't going to be medically fit to pitch and tells his team, they would likely allow him to retire and still get his money.

reds44
05-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's the thing: I don't want Rolen to retire right now. For a team who wants to be playing in October, he could be very useful as a defensive replacement. His glove hasn't slipped very much at all. Especially with a young guy at 3rd right now. And who knows, maybe only playing once or twice a week would help him out.

The problem is Dusty would never bench him.

redsmetz
05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Here's the thing: I don't want Rolen to retire right now. For a team who wants to be playing in October, he could be very useful as a defensive replacement. His glove hasn't slipped very much at all. Especially with a young guy at 3rd right now. And who knows, maybe only playing once or twice a week would help him out.

The problem is Dusty would never bench him.

Well, that is the old canard, isn't it. Dusty won't...

Seriously, you state there may be value in him yet, particularly as a defensive replacement (although I wonder about that - part of the issue is the wear & tear the throwing is doing, but I digress). But if the club tells Rolen, we think you still have a place in a limited role, I don't see Dusty not being on board with that. I don't see Rolen insisting on being placed in the line-up when he's hurting the club and I don't see Baker doing that either, in this case. With the hunch that Rosecrans suggested, he thinks he'll retire, but if he doesn't, and given how Rolen views his ability to help, I don't see this being a big fuss if Rolen says he'll stick around for that limited, last hurrah.

dougdirt
05-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't be surpised if he's being allowed to "retire" and will still make his money. If he knows he isn't going to be medically fit to pitch and tells his team, they would likely allow him to retire and still get his money.

You think a team would just hand him $5M instead of use it to try and acquire someone to help them out? I can't see that happening.

PuffyPig
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
You think a team would just hand him $5M instead of use it to try and acquire someone to help them out? I can't see that happening.

They aren't handing him $5M. You completely missed the point.

If he is physically unable to perform at a decent level, better to have him retire (and pay him) then simply DL for the season (and pay him). It's the same thing. They just allow him to announce "retirement" instead of DL'ing him or releeasing him.

The Reds will likely have to pay him anyway. A number of players have retired and been paid rather than having the team release him (or him spending the year on the DL) and paying him anyway.

dougdirt
05-18-2012, 08:22 PM
They aren't handing him $5M. You completely missed the point.

If he is physically unable to perform at a decent level, better to have him retire (and pay him) then simply DL for the season (and pay him). It's the same thing. They just allow him to announce "retirement" instead of DL'ing him or releeasing him.

The Reds will likely have to pay him anyway. A number of players have retired and been paid rather than having the team release him (or him spending the year on the DL) and paying him anyway.

Who has retired and still been paid? I have never heard of that happening.

Chip R
05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
I think Rolen will try to come back, do a minor league rehab stint and if he can't cut the mustard in the minors, he will retire.

PuffyPig
05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Who has retired and still been paid? I have never heard of that happening.

Albert Belle "retired" at the age of 34 due to injuries, but collected his salary for 3 more seasons as he was kept on the active roster.

Technically he didn't retire as he was still on the roster but couldn't play becuase of his health. But it was reported that he "retired".

redsfandan
05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
There's a great question when -- and even if -- Scott Rolen will return to Reds

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19095896/theres-a-great-question-when----and-even-if----scott-rolen-will-return-to-reds

I guess one positive is that we get a better chance to see if Frazier can be more than a temporary fix.

Vottomatic
05-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I think Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid. :eek: :D :laugh: :lol: :p

dougdirt
05-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid. :eek: :D :laugh: :lol: :p

He is, but that was part of his contract.

Plus Plus
05-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Congratulations to Mike Costanzo on his first major league hit today.

mdccclxix
05-20-2012, 01:14 AM
You look at some of the older players around the league that are still putting it together, Ibanez for example, and you have to think Rolen could come around. On the other hand if he doesn't believe he can do it, or if his shoulder is barking louder than ever, he's already beat.

To me, his at bats weren't aggressive enough. Pitchers are going to challenge him now, so he can get good pitches early in the count. I'd like to see him give it another shot in a reduced role.

mth123
05-20-2012, 02:57 AM
Rolen should be in Cairo's role at this point. Frazier should also be in Cairo's role. This roster is just too locked in to redundant players and missing the complements to them.