PDA

View Full Version : The ORG Baseball Stream of Consciousness Thread

jojo
05-12-2012, 08:03 PM
For your baseball pleasure, this is the Old Red Guard Baseball Stream of Consciousness thread. Kick off your shoes, forget the troubles of life and let your mind wander with thoughts of baseball. The ORG is a diverse place with lots of baseball intellect. Each post represents the next thought. Lets see where the mind of the ORG goes….

Here’s a start. What if ballplayers were really just individual cells of the entity “Mr. Baseball”? What would his slash line look like?

Using major league historical stat totals from 1876 to the present via BR.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/), Mr. Baseball is currently hitting .262/.329/.456 with a wOBA of about .340ish. In other words, Mr. Baseball very fittingly would look an awful lot like Jim Lemon (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lemonji01.shtml) (.262/.332/.460), the right-handed, power hitting corner outfielder of the Washington Senators.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Jim_Lemon.jpg

Here is a great baseball biography for Lemon:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jim_Lemon

Combining power, speed, and an exceptional arm, Lemon was part of the power group with Roy Sievers, Harmon Killebrew and Bob Allison that made the transition of the Senators to Minnesota a successful one. He spent a total of 26 seasons in the Senators/Twins organization as a player, coach, scout, Minor League instructor, hitting instructor and manager.

Some of you may have grown up watching Lemon on “Home Run Derby”. He was the epitome of a baseball man and an individual universally respected throughout the game. An apt face for Mr. Baseball for sure….

If you wonder what a modern face for Mr. Baseball might look like, our very own Ryan Ludwick (.259/.330/.452) is a good statistical candidate.

http://fp911.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ryan_LudwickReds.jpg

He is still currently writing his biography which hopefully will include post season heroics in a Reds uni...

Dan
05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
What's Mr. Baseball doing if pitchers are taken out of the equation?

jojo
05-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Mr. Baseball's pitching face isn't so easy to peg.

Using major league historical stat totals from 1876 to the present via BR.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/), Mr. Baseball is currently pitching to the tune of an ERA= 4.57, a FIP= 4.17, a k/9=4.81 and a BB/9=3.21. In other words, Mr. Baseball’s pitching face is one that only a mother could love.

Fittingly this face was once traded for himself:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/859/997/Noles2_display_image.jpg?1327964415

Having broke in with the Phillies, Dickie Noles, a righty who was used both as a starter and out of the pen is a good statistical candidate given his career numbers (ERA= 4.56, FIP= 3.98, K/9= 4.76, BB/9=3.54). What’s more his back story fits so well for the job too. Noles famously threw a brush back pitch to George Brett in Game Four that is often considered the turning point in the 1980 World Series. But it was an incident in Cincinnati during 1983 while he was a Cub that might have galvanized his face in the memories of Reds fans. Following a game at Riverfront, Noles assaulted a Cincinnati police officer during a drunken brawl and ended up serving 17 days in a Cincy jail-a strike Noles threw that he credits with being a turning point in his life (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-05-29/sports/8702090809_1_cubs-keith-moreland-jody-davis).

Reliever Dickie Noles, who made some friends during the time he spent in a Cincinnati jail in 1983 following a barroom brawl, left them tickets for Tuesday night`s game at Riverfront Stadium.

http://cdn.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-product-image/62-t288564-500.jpg

Like Mr. Baseball, Noles has weathered the storm and is now a born again christian who counsels baseball youth against drug and alcohol abuse.

Yachtzee
05-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I always thought Mr. Baseball looked like this.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/830/821/mr-redlegs-2_display_image.jpg?1301871842

FlightRick
05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Somebody needs to hijack this thread with a complete Non-sequitur of Randomness.

Because, otherwise, all we got here is a thread about "Mr. Baseball," and honestly, how has nobody stream-of-consciousness'd a Bob Uecker reference. His "Studio 42" was just on again recently, and you can't be my friend unless you've seen it. Everything you could ask for, Belvedere and all.

Well, except for one thing: a noticeable glossing over of the fact that Ueck is one of only 4 or 5 celebrities to be involved in more than one WrestleMania. HOW DO YOU NOT MENTION THAT?!?!? Especially you, Costas, who did Vince McMahon's bidding in the 80s?!?!?

You know who else is a celebrity that appeared at more than one WrestleMania? Pete Rose. Uecker only did 2. Pete did 3. Suck it, Uecker.

Did somebody say Stream of Consciousness? I hope so, because that's what just happened....

Rick

FlightRick
05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
yoink

05-13-2012, 02:06 AM
I always thought Mr. Baseball looked like this.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/830/821/mr-redlegs-2_display_image.jpg?1301871842

I thought he looked like this...

http://www.sportandcinema.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mr_baseball.jpg

gilpdawg
05-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Somebody needs to hijack this thread with a complete Non-sequitur of Randomness.

Because, otherwise, all we got here is a thread about "Mr. Baseball," and honestly, how has nobody stream-of-consciousness'd a Bob Uecker reference. His "Studio 42" was just on again recently, and you can't be my friend unless you've seen it. Everything you could ask for, Belvedere and all.

Well, except for one thing: a noticeable glossing over of the fact that Ueck is one of only 4 or 5 celebrities to be involved in more than one WrestleMania. HOW DO YOU NOT MENTION THAT?!?!? Especially you, Costas, who did Vince McMahon's bidding in the 80s?!?!?

You know who else is a celebrity that appeared at more than one WrestleMania? Pete Rose. Uecker only did 2. Pete did 3. Suck it, Uecker.

Did somebody say Stream of Consciousness? I hope so, because that's what just happened....

Rick

What a shock that you'd bring that up. :D

05-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Donuts.

Pretty much sums up my constant stream of consciousness.

mth123
05-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Speaking of Wrestlemania, the late Macho Man was once a minor leaguer in the Reds system who finished his career with the Tampa Tarpons in 1974 at age 21.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=poffo-001ran

Razor Shines
05-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Donuts.

Pretty much sums up my constant stream of consciousness.

You better have Delonte's donuts - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GeT4LfF_Fg)

05-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Why is a strikeout a K if swinging but it is a backward K if looking and not the other way?

05-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Why is a strikeout a K if swinging but it is a backward K if looking and not the other way?

Why is "k" the letter we use for noting a strike out? I never understood that, :confused:

oneupper
05-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Why is "k" the letter we use for noting a strike out? I never understood that, :confused:

This comes from Latin America. When a batter would strike out on a questionable call, he would invariably shout "Que?" (meaning What?).
"Que?" sounds like the english letter "K".
It stucK.

Caseyfan21
05-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Here's an explanation that seems to make sense from http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1585/in-baseball-scoring-why-is-a-strikeout-marked-with-a-k:

From Neil Cohen's article "How to Score a Game," from John Thorn and Pete Palmer's Total Baseball, we discover that Henry Chadwick, one of the first newspaper journalists to take a literary interest in baseball, built upon a scoring technique devised by fellow New York journalist M. J. Kelly. "Chadwick created a minutely detailed scorecard so he would have a point of reference and recollection when he wrote his articles about the game," Cohen writes. He adds that Chadwick invented the modern boxscore.

Chadwick also invented the system we use to indicate fielders (pitcher=1, shortstop=6, right field=9, etc.), and the abbreviations we use for events (HR, HBP, BB, so on). Chadwick needed S for sacrifice, so he chose K for strikeout - K being the last letter of "struck," which was then in more common use than the term "strikeout."

Some people carry it further, using a K for a swinging strikeout, and a backward K for being caught looking. Some folks go with the more intuitive "SO," but this creates confusion with the abbreviation for "shutout," so "K" has remained the abbreviation of choice.

Johnny Footstool
05-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Dickie Noles always makes me think of Harry Carey on the WGN Superstation.

jojo
05-13-2012, 04:25 PM

When I think of Harry Carey, I think of the "After Hours" show on The Bob and Tom Show. When I think of them, I think of "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em", hosted by "Marge Schott".

(warning "Marge" uses colorful language and imagery)

Bob & Tom - Marge & Siegfried & Roy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVXF4fW2ZM)

Spitball
05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
This comes from Latin America. When a batter would strike out on a questionable call, he would invariably shout "Que?" (meaning What?).
"Que?" sounds like the english letter "K".
It stucK.

Years ago on The Game of the Week, announcer and former Yankee shortstop Tony Kubek told a story about the Japanese word for double play.

He said that there wasn't a word in their language for double play until the Yankees played some exibition games there in the early 1960s. They heard the Yankee infielders saying, "Get two," when there was a runner on first and less than two outs. The Japanese players adopted the term and "getoo" (guessing at the spelling) became the official term for the act of getting a double play.

I believed and repeated the story for at least thirty years. Then, I was telling the story to a guy who had lived and worked in Japan for a couple of years. He looked at me and said, "That is an interesting story, but getoo is not the term used for double play in Japan."

Tony Kubek is such a liar. :)

mth123
05-13-2012, 04:32 PM
When I think of Harry Carey, I think of the "After Hours" show on The Bob and Tom Show. When I think of them, I think of "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em", hosted by "Marge Schott".

Bob & Tom - Marge & Siegfried & Roy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVXF4fW2ZM)

When I think of Bob and Tom, I'm reminded of their one time side man Mark Patrick who did a decent Harry Carey on the show.

I believe Patrick is the father of Drew Storen of the Nationals. I was hoping for a Stubbs for Storen deal this offseason. Wth Storen's elbow issues, I'm glad it wasn't a deal.

Spitball
05-13-2012, 04:34 PM

I always remember Harry Caray's late career mistakes. One time in the late 1980s, he was talking to Steve Stone and said, "It is hard for me to believe the Dodgers have gone 186 years without using a left handed starter."

Steve Stone responded, "That would be 186 games, but it is an astounding stretch."

jojo
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I always remember Harry Caray's late career mistakes. One time in the late 1980s, he was talking to Steve Stone and said, "It is hard for me to believe the Dodgers have gone 186 years without using a left handed starter."

Steve Stone responded, "That would be 186 games, but it is an astounding stretch."

Going 186 days without a beer might have felt like 186 years to Harry. One of the greats IMHO.

Yachtzee
05-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Sosa spelled backwards is "Asos."

nate
05-13-2012, 09:00 PM
In the 70's I always wondered why the Reds were the only team to have low cuts in their stirrups.

Big Klu
05-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Sosa spelled backwards is "Asos."

You should have heard Harry try to do the backwards game with Tim Pugh.

camisadelgolf
05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I always thought "topspin" backwards was kind of funny.

Johnny Footstool
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Steve Stone - the Job of baseball color men.

Harry: "You know, it just makes me sick. A second ago, the bases are loaded and there's nobody out. And now...there's one out."

Steve: "Ummm...yeah, Harry...one out now..."

WildcatFan
05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Steve Stone - the Job of baseball color men.

Harry: "You know, it just makes me sick. A second ago, the bases are loaded and there's nobody out. And now...there's one out."

Steve: "Ummm...yeah, Harry...one out now..."

I've posted before, but maybe my favorite George Grande moment ever:

"There's a ball, way outside. They're gonna say it hit him!"

He's the best.

RichRed
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
You should have heard Harry try to do the backwards game with Tim Pugh.

I think he pulled something when he tried Mark Grudzielanek.

traderumor
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
There was mention of the early days of baseball where the hitter could request a certain location from the pitcher. What location could Drew Stubbs request, and would he take the pitch for a called third strike?

RichRed
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Dickie Noles' full name is Dickie Ray Noles, making him the only one of the handful of Dickies to ever play in the majors who doesn't have Richard as part of his name.

J.D. Drew's name is David Jonathan Drew. Why not "D.J." instead?

The longest full name in MLB history belongs to Cal McLish: Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish. And with all those names to choose from, his nickname was "Buster."

traderumor
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I think he pulled something when he tried Mark Grudzielanek.electrocution from too much slobber in the mic.

05-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Going 186 days without a beer might have felt like 186 years to Harry. One of the greats IMHO.

Harry's greatest quote ever...

"Ahhhhh, (belch) how can they make it taste so good and cost so cheap?"

He said it about once a game.

CarolinaRedleg
05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I think he pulled something when he tried Mark Grudzielanek.

Loved his mispronunciations, especially in the later innings. Tony Eusebio became "Istaboo"

MikeThierry
05-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Why is it that I can pronounce Marc Rzepczynski properly but have trouble pronouncing Félix Pié?

camisadelgolf
05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Why is it that I can pronounce Marc Rzepczynski properly but have trouble pronouncing Félix Pié?
My theory is that if the Polish can figure it out, anyone can.
:mooner:

MikeThierry
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
My theory is that if the Polish can figure it out, anyone can.
:mooner:

I'm Mexican and French though :laugh:

WildcatFan
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm Mexican and French though :laugh:

So what does happen when you put a crepe on top of dulce de leche? I'm guessing fireworks.

dfs
05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Years ago on The Game of the Week, announcer and former Yankee shortstop Tony Kubek told a story about the Japanese word for double play.

He said that there wasn't a word in their language for double play until the Yankees played some exibition games there in the early 1960s. They heard the Yankee infielders saying, "Get two," when there was a runner on first and less than two outs. The Japanese players adopted the term and "getoo" (guessing at the spelling) became the official term for the act of getting a double play.

I believed and repeated the story for at least thirty years. Then, I was telling the story to a guy who had lived and worked in Japan for a couple of years. He looked at me and said, "That is an interesting story, but getoo is not the term used for double play in Japan."

Tony Kubek is such a liar. :)

Thanks for sharing that one. I really like that.

VR
05-15-2012, 12:35 AM

I'm right there with you. I grew up with the lovable Cubbies as my 2nd favorite team, thanks to guys like Noles, Buckner, Sizemore, DeJesus, Davis, Reuschel, Smith, Moreland, Durham, Kingman, et al.

And, of course, Jack Brickhouse, Lou Boudreau, and yes.....Harry.

WebScorpion
05-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Robinson, Rose, Helms, Bench, Zachry, Sabo, Williamson...you figure it out. ;)

Baseball has had some of the oddest names - Honus, Hod, Skeeter, Scooter, Motorboat, Oil Can, Chief, Bubbles, Noodles, Yogi, Kiki, Ducky, Dizzy, Dazzy, Catfish, and Gaylord. and then there's Heinie Groh :laugh:

He's buried in Spring Grove cemetery, which is the largest cemetery I'd ever seen until I went to Arlington, which is in Virginia not Texas where the Rangers play. The Rangers used to be the Senators which is kind of weird since the Twins also used to be the Senators and I guess that's why the new Washington team is called the Nationals since the Senators always seem to leave town and change their name. and now we're back to names. :beerme:

mth123
05-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Robinson, Rose, Helms, Bench, Zachry, Sabo, Williamson...you figure it out. ;)

Baseball has had some of the oddest names - Honus, Hod, Skeeter, Scooter, Motorboat, Oil Can, Chief, Bubbles, Noodles, Yogi, Kiki, Ducky, Dizzy, Dazzy, Catfish, and Gaylord. and then there's Heinie Groh :laugh:

He's buried in Spring Grove cemetery, which is the largest cemetery I'd ever seen until I went to Arlington, which is in Virginia not Texas where the Rangers play. The Rangers used to be the Senators which is kind of weird since the Twins also used to be the Senators and I guess that's why the new Washington team is called the Nationals since the Senators always seem to leave town and change their name. and now we're back to names. :beerme:

Rookie of the year award winners. Here's to adding Zach Cozart to the list, but I think Bryce Harper probably runs away from the pack now that he's in the bigs.

Other fairly unique names in Red's history: Edd (with 2 D), Eppa, Ival, Ewell, Vada.

Nicknames (Like Dizzy, Dazzy, Catfish and Yogi) that are more well known than the actual name would begin and end with "Babe" of course. In Cincy, "Sparky" would probably top the list. Today we have "Homer" to ft that category. Don't forget Pokey, Gookie, and Corky on that list.

*BaseClogger*
05-15-2012, 05:09 AM
And Wily Mo!

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 11:36 AM
So what does happen when you put a crepe on top of dulce de leche? I'm guessing fireworks.

Trust me... you don't want to know. Let's just say you need to take a day off of work. :lol:

NJReds
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I assume many on here remember bullpen cars that took relief pitchers into the game from the bullpen.

The Yankees were sponsored by Datsun, but most looked like golf carts with baseball caps.

I assume the Reds had one, too. They just disappeared, but I don't really recall when. I guess the mid-80s?

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/10/Yankees_Datsun_Bullpen_Car.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T2lugNgXL._SX270_.jpg

RichRed
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Other fairly unique names in Red's history: Edd (with 2 D), Eppa, Ival, Ewell, Vada.

And we'll always have Paris. Kelly Paris, that is.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/kelly_paris_autograph.jpg

Yachtzee
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
And we'll always have Paris. Kelly Paris, that is.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/kelly_paris_autograph.jpg

I always thought he kind of looked like Dr. Johnny Fever.

WildcatFan
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Who was the last person to wear glasses in a game? I'm talking true, wire-rimmed, accountant glasses. I seem to remember Maddux wearing them, but a Google image search doesn't actually bring up proof. It does, however, show this:

http://cezl.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jason-worth.jpg

Any guesses, without looking?

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't know about the *last* person to wear glasses in a game, but in my opinion the *best* was John Lowenstein.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_spCP3JtxOPc/TUFwsfXfCHI/AAAAAAAAGIs/2dAzfm3qWLE/s1600/%2521BzHJH8QBmk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqMOKjME%2529Nsi1 qhkBMUh%252CGi3ow%257E%257E_12.jpg
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3hzz4B4Xb1qbblrpo1_500.jpg

RichRed
05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Lowenstein was the one that came to mind for me too.

RichRed
05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Obviously well before Lowenstein, but the Reds' own Howie Nunn was a bespectacled pitcher for the '61 pennant-winning team. He just passed away earlier this year.

http://www.baseball-cards.com/jpgs/1962t/524b.jpg

http://www.mainlineautographs.com/images/product_pics/NUNN0002_20110823669.gif

NJReds
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Two guys I thought of were a couple of relief pitchers:

Tom Henke

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/1/1f/Tom_Henke.jpg

Kent Tekulve

http://dougsnfldraftworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kent-tekulve.jpg

traderumor
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.nerdbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tom-hume-1985-donruss.jpg
He was just mentioned the other day in a telecast when Tyler Clippard was on the mound.

cumberlandreds
05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Jim Brosnan was another who wore glasses. I couldn't get his baseball card to copy for me as proof.
I have read that Specs Torporcer was the first MLB player to wear glasses. Don't know if that is true or not.

cumberlandreds
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
I assume many on here remember bullpen cars that took relief pitchers into the game from the bullpen.

The Yankees were sponsored by Datsun, but most looked like golf carts with baseball caps.

I assume the Reds had one, too. They just disappeared, but I don't really recall when. I guess the mid-80s?

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/10/Yankees_Datsun_Bullpen_Car.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T2lugNgXL._SX270_.jpg

I don't remember the Reds using one back int the 70's when they were popular. I doubt they did since the bullpen in Riverfront was on the field and not that far from the mound.
I do remember the Zamboni machine that would suck water up from the turf and shoot it out beyond the CF fence. When I was a kid I loved seeing that.

RichRed
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Jim Brosnan was another who wore glasses.

http://www.1960sbaseballprofilesnl2.info/attachments/Image/jim_brosnan.jpg

jojo
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Two guys I thought of were a couple of relief pitchers:

Tom Henke

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/1/1f/Tom_Henke.jpg

Kent Tekulve

http://dougsnfldraftworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kent-tekulve.jpg

I've often wondered why Raisor proudly claims his 50+ Nobel prizes (he should be proud, most people don't only earn a fraction of that many) but is so mum on his playing days with the Pirates and his world series experiences. ;)

CarolinaRedleg
05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/attachments/ootp-mods-rosters-photos-quick-starts/171495d1257462833-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-chuck-mcelroy-1994-reds-.jpg

Chuck McElroy, anyone?

And on a sidenote, I got to meet Howie Nunn a few years back when I was writing for a newspaper in the area in which he lived. I got to hold his 1961 NL championship ring.

Tom Servo
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM

I know!

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Jayson-Werth-beard.png

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Who was the last person to wear glasses in a game? I'm talking true, wire-rimmed, accountant glasses. I seem to remember Maddux wearing them, but a Google image search doesn't actually bring up proof. It does, however, show this:

The Nats have a pitcher that wears them. The announcers were comparing him to Tom Hume (solely on the glasses I'm assuming). I want to say Clippard.

WildcatFan
05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I know!

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Jayson-Werth-beard.png

That's the biggest change in appearance since

http://chattahbox.com/images/2009/11/sammy-saw-a-ghost-sosa.jpg

MikeThierry
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
This might be the best thread in this history of the ORG. Classic stuff here ladies and gents! :beerme:

RichRed
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Speaking of "stream of consciousness," Faulkner was a major leaguer. Jim, not William.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/faulkji01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/e/e3/Jim_Faulkner.jpg

And James (Jim) Joyce was the ump in the Armando Galarraga almost-perfect game.

camisadelgolf
05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
This post will never get its proper due: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2596796&postcount=88

MikeThierry
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
This post will never get its proper due: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2596796&postcount=88

haha that's legendary :laugh:

SunDeck
05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mario_mendoza_1981_topps.thumbnail.jpg

Just sayin'.

WildcatFan
05-17-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mario_mendoza_1981_topps.thumbnail.jpg

Just sayin'.

Ugh, that logo. As good as the "Mariners" nickname is, they've sure had some awful designs.

Remember the terrible Toronto one with the baseball-playing bird? It was maybe 10-15 years ago.

jojo
05-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Just sayin'.

Now that guy just looks like a shortstop.... :eek:

Shocker that the Mendoza line was established by a Mariner. Did the 90's really happen in Seattle? I think my memories of Safeco in 2001 are part of a government experiment in mind control. Watch out if the phone rings and a male voice says, "Jojo, why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?"....

SunDeck
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I was struck by the awfulness of the card. What's with the Elmer Fudd hat in the lower left corner? Was there a giant, talent sucking vortex at Topps that was killing their designers?

CarolinaRedleg
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Just sayin'.

What would his famed batting average have been without the glasses? :D

MikeThierry
05-19-2012, 02:07 AM
I didn't know where to post this and I thought this was as good of a place as any. Here are the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals......I'm wondering if the mental institution opened its doors.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/281/cardinalsgoofy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/cardinalsgoofy.jpg/)

jojo
05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Here's the full story...

This top secret image (http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/individual.php?item=CRAZYSBB) from the Cards training facilities was taken just before the one you posted-Chris Carpenter couldn't resist squeezing it despite the websites explicit warning:

Baseball won't be the same when you give this Crazy Baseball a squeeze

http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/picture/CRAZYSBB.jpg

Chaos ensued as there was a blinding flash of light and the facility was consumed in a glittery puff of smoke. Much of what happened is still shrouded in mystery but a beat reporter did manage to record this in the glittery, smoke-filled moments after Carpenter's fateful squeeze (warning: the content in the following link is not for sensitive viewers):

The aftermath (http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/mp3/CRAZYSBB.mp3)

As the smoke cleared, the consequences were quickly apparent as your post documents.

I didn't know where to post this and I thought this was as good of a place as any. Here are the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals......I'm wondering if the mental institution opened its doors.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/281/cardinalsgoofy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/cardinalsgoofy.jpg/)

In any event, these never before seen glimpses into the Cardinals organization leave those in the baseball world with just one burning question:

"How is Chris Carpenter going to explain this to his son?"........

:D

_Sir_Charles_
05-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Ugh, that logo. As good as the "Mariners" nickname is, they've sure had some awful designs.

Remember the terrible Toronto one with the baseball-playing bird? It was maybe 10-15 years ago.

My favorite mlb logo, by far is this one.....
http://www.zmetro.com/brewers_pre_steroid.jpg

My favorite in any sports....

http://sarahpaolucci.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/hartford-whalers.jpg

Tom Servo
05-19-2012, 11:28 AM
jojo :lol:

MikeThierry
05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
hahahahahahah Jojo, that made my morning dude. I really don't know how Chris Carpenter will explain it to his son as to why Adam Wainwright is wearing a kilt. Some things are best left a mystery.....

VR
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM

It's back in style in the NW.....see it all the time now.

camisadelgolf
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
1972 National League Championship Series Comeback - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRmvIjpzi7k)

traderumor
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
still get goosebumps. My first Reds memory (I was 7) :)

cumberlandreds
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Me too. I was 9 and still remember it like it was yesterday. I'll remember my dad jumping out of seat and giving a big clap of his hands and just laughing with joy. The thing about it too was that Bench was usually a dead pull hitter but this HR was an opposite field HR. I doubt if he hit many of those in his hey day.

SunDeck
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Just tested it. Goosebumps, check.

SunDeck
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM

What the heck were you doing in '70? I'm the same age as you and I remember praying at night for Brooks Robinson to be struck dead.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
What the heck were you doing in '70? I'm the same age as you and I remember praying at night for Brooks Robinson to be struck dead.No memories, busy wiping boogers on my sister.

SunDeck
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
No memories, busy wiping boogers on my sister.

Ah, late bloomer. I get it.

dfs
05-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I remember 1970 and even have a couple of memories of Crosley Field, so it wasn't my first reds memory, but my was it a big one.

Couple of things stand out in looking at the clip.

Look at how lean Johny was.
Look at the size of the club he was using as a bat!
Are those EMPTY seats out there in right field for Game 5?

Love the music.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I remember 1970 and even have a couple of memories of Crosley Field, so it wasn't my first reds memory, but my was it a big one.

Couple of things stand out in looking at the clip.

Look at how lean Johny was.
Look at the size of the club he was using as a bat!
Are those EMPTY seats out there in right field for Game 5?

Love the music.Those blue seats were always closed for baseball for some reason.

CySeymour
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Those blue seats were always closed for baseball for some reason.

Not always. My dad and I sat in them for a game back in 1984...got a nice view of a Dave Parker homer going over our heads :)

CySeymour
05-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I noticed Giusti pitching out of the windup in that video. Why is it relievers started pitching out of the stretch all the time?

MikeThierry
05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
How is Jeff Suppan getting guys out when his average fastball is about 86 mph? One of the unanswered questions of baseball.

Yachtzee
05-23-2012, 08:03 PM
It's back in style in the NW.....see it all the time now.

The trident "M" rocks! I think the worst was the blue hat with the big yellow "S" back when Griffey, Jr. played for them.

jojo
05-23-2012, 08:13 PM
The trident "M" rocks! I think the worst was the blue hat with the big yellow "S" back when Griffey, Jr. played for them.

I love it too.... But for Mariners fans of that era, it's a badge of honor.

cumberlandreds
05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Those blue seats were always closed for baseball for some reason.

In the early years they were closed. But they opened them up sometime in the mid 70's. I remember setting in those RF blue seats in 1977 for a DH against the Cardinals.

mdccclxix
05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
It dawned on me that Chris Welsh must've faced Dusty Baker back in the day and here are the results: Baker 2-4.

Welsh's career K/9? 3.2

cumberlandreds
05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
It dawned on me that Chris Welsh must've faced Dusty Baker back in the day and here are the results: Baker 2-4.

Welsh's career K/9? 3.2

Dusty was a really good player. They were talking about him last night. He was the 1977 NLCS MVP and I believe they said he was 1981 World Series MVP. He was just on my most hated team back in those day,the Dodgers.

jojo
05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Dusty Baker put up 43 WAR in essentially 14.5 seasons. That would suggest he was a top 35 player in the mlb during that period. Pretty solid stuff.

SunDeck
05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
When I was a kid I hated every one of the Dodgers' players, but they certainly were a great team to watch play. It's too bad for them they had the BRM to contend with.

Anybody remember the band that played behind home plate before Reds games and in between double headers? Reggie Smith used to sit in on drums with them. Pretty cool stuff, for one of the most reviled players of the day.

oneupper
05-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Dusty was one of my favorite players,since he played for my favorite winter league team - La Guaira (the Sharks - Tiburones).
It was winter ball and all, and Dusty would play hard. You could sense he just loved the game.

Blitz Dorsey
05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
There needs to be a book (or a pamphlet) of "Welshisms."

* Do Drop In (curve ball)

* Uncle Charlie (ditto)

* Butcher Boy (everyone else that's ever played baseball refers to this as a "slug bunt" ... this is probably my favorite Welshism ... pretty sure he just made it up)

* "You've got that right... (Thom, Jim, George, Marty" ... depending on who the PBP guy is)

There are more, but there's a few that stand out.

elfmanvt07
05-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Hearing Welsh yelling at the ball to "get up", "get down", or what have you, in the background of Thom's and Kelch's calls are probably my favorite thing about watching baseball right now.

Always Red
05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Hearing Welsh yelling at the ball to "get up", "get down", or what have you, in the background of Thom's and Kelch's calls are probably my favorite thing about watching baseball right now.

Chris learned that from Joe.

elfmanvt07
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Chris learned that from Joe.

Who was the best at it. Makes it so much more fun to listen to.

Always Red
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Who was the best at it. Makes it so much more fun to listen to.

I agree- that's when the fan in Welsh comes out, much like it did Nuxhall. Welsh is not a stone cold professional, speak-for-pay-only broadcaster; he's a fan also.

redsmetz
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM

* Butcher Boy (everyone else that's ever played baseball refers to this as a "slug bunt" ... this is probably my favorite Welshism ... pretty sure he just made it up)

My brief research shows that it was commonly used by Casey Stengal, first printed use was a 1959 interview with Phil Rizzuto, quoting Stengal (http://books.google.com/books?id=afQVWhAm1TEC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=butcher+boy+baseball+etymology+casey+stengel&source=bl&ots=kRXsEAEUv6&sig=275TpZniQSN4kI60QAJ4bd44A2g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uje-T9b1C-6f6QHn17lN&ved=0CFEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=butcher%20boy%20baseball%20etymology%20casey%20s tengel&f=false - starts on page 94).

westofyou
05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
My brief research shows that it was commonly used by Casey Stengal, first printed use was a 1959 interview with Phil Rizzuto, quoting Stengal (http://books.google.com/books?id=afQVWhAm1TEC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=butcher+boy+baseball+etymology+casey+stengel&source=bl&ots=kRXsEAEUv6&sig=275TpZniQSN4kI60QAJ4bd44A2g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uje-T9b1C-6f6QHn17lN&ved=0CFEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=butcher%20boy%20baseball%20etymology%20casey%20s tengel&f=false - starts on page 94).

Nothing is new in baseball

RichRed
05-24-2012, 09:56 AM

* Do Drop In (curve ball)

* Uncle Charlie (ditto)

* "You've got that right... (Thom, Jim, George, Marty" ... depending on who the PBP guy is)

There are more, but there's a few that stand out.

"That's what it's all about."

RANDY IN INDY
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Nothing is new in baseball

Yeah, I grew up with that term, "Butcher Boy," being used. Nothing new.

RichRed
05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Baseball-reference.com lists Bronson Arroyo's nickname as "Saturn Nuts." I had never heard that before so I looked it up. As so often happens, Curt Schilling is to blame.

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/the-mystery-of-saturn-nuts-solved/

I love the first comment under the article too.

Big Klu
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Dusty was a really good player. They were talking about him last night. He was the 1977 NLCS MVP and I believe they said he was 1981 World Series MVP. He was just on my most hated team back in those day,the Dodgers.

I believe Ron Cey, Steve Yeager, and Pedro Guerrero were co-MVP's of the 1981 World Series.

redsmetz
05-24-2012, 11:46 AM
How's this for Stream of Consciousness? The Beatles once played a doubleheader, performing at Crosley Field on 8/21/1966, following a rainout the previous day!

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/21/live-crosley-field-cincinnati/

They then packed up everything, flew to St. Louis, where they played at Busch Stadium (I believe the 1st, not the 2nd) that evening.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/21/live-busch-stadium-st-louis/

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/Btlfan/Cincinnati.jpg

cumberlandreds
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I believe Ron Cey, Steve Yeager, and Pedro Guerrero were co-MVP's of the 1981 World Series.

I pretty sure that's correct. Welsh had it wrong.

MikeThierry
05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
How's this for Stream of Consciousness? The Beatles once played a doubleheader, performing at Crosley Field on 8/21/1966, following a rainout the previous day!

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/21/live-crosley-field-cincinnati/

They then packed up everything, flew to St. Louis, where they played at Busch Stadium (I believe the 1st, not the 2nd) that evening.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/21/live-busch-stadium-st-louis/

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/Btlfan/Cincinnati.jpg

Would it be accurate to say that the Beatles were the Ernie Banks of rock bands?

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Yep, I love that too. I always loved hearing Joe do that.

jojo
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Baseball-reference.com lists Bronson Arroyo's nickname as "Saturn Nuts." I had never heard that before so I looked it up. As so often happens, Curt Schilling is to blame.

Baseball. Is. Awesome.

mdccclxix
05-24-2012, 06:08 PM

That fangraphs article you link to is from one year ago today. The Stream is real - don't fight the Stream!

Blitz Dorsey
05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I stand corrected on "Butcher Boy." Welsh is the only person I've ever heard who calls a slug-bunt a butcher boy.

jojo
05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Would it be accurate to say that the Beatles were the Ernie Banks of rock bands?

Stream of consciousness aside, the Beatles are probably more aptly labeled the Babe Ruth of rock bands.

cumberlandreds
05-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Stream of consciousness aside, the Beatles are probably more aptly labeled the Babe Ruth of rock bands.

That's what I think too. The Rolling Stones are more like Ernie Banks.

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 08:52 AM

It's Led Zeppelin for me. :)

westofyou
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
It's Led Zeppelin for me. :)

Sorry, at best they are Hank Greenberg

westofyou
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
That's what I think too. The Rolling Stones are more like Ernie Banks.

Stones have a pretty lengthy and star studded career, sure it's lagged but they are a special breed... I give them a Ted Williams ranking

_Sir_Charles_
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
It cracks me up when people compare bands to the Beatles. I seriously don't think they're aware of all that they did. They just CAN'T be aware of it. They're like Pedro Martinez compared to the rest of the pitchers in the league back then. Head and shoulders above the competition.

westofyou
05-25-2012, 09:48 AM
It cracks me up when people compare bands to the Beatles. I seriously don't think they're aware of all that they did. They just CAN'T be aware of it. They're like Pedro Martinez compared to the rest of the pitchers in the league back then. Head and shoulders above the competition.

Yep, they know no peers when mentioning impact

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Rush is the Troy Tulowitzki of Rock n Roll! :laugh::lol: :p

Blitz Dorsey
05-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't know guys. They're not quite there yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before LMFAO surpasses The Beatles in terms of musical impact.

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't know guys. They're not quite there yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before LMFAO surpasses The Beatles in terms of musical impact.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::lol::lol::lol::lol::laugh::l augh::laugh::lol::lol:

LMFAO might, I stress might, be the Mario Mendoza of rock bands.

_Sir_Charles_
05-25-2012, 09:57 AM

Time to re-order your meds Blitz. ;)

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
LMFAO might, I stress might, be the Mario Mendoza of rock bands.

To call them a rock band is an insult to rock bands. And bands in general. And rocks.

Always Red
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Then that would make Motley Crue the Joe Pepitone of rock bands.

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Then that would make Motley Crue the Joe Pepitone of rock bands.

A rare Joe Pepitone reference :lol:

RichRed
05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
To call them a rock band is an insult to rock bands. And bands in general. And rocks.

If LMFAO ever tried to claim they were a rock band to, say, Mick Jagger, Mick would LHFAO.

05-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Is there a comparison to Justin Beiber? Can't think of one.

oneupper
05-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Joe Nuxhall :D

dfs
05-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Deion Sanders comes to mind.

westofyou
05-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Stynes and Nunnley will always be the Milli Vanilli of the Reds.

camisadelgolf
05-26-2012, 01:43 PM
This thread has been reported for masked vulgarity.

redsmetz
05-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit I never knew - Sparky Anderson's first ML hit was against the Reds. He actually did quite well against his future club, getting 20% of his 104 major league hits against the Reds in his lone season. He also got nearly 5% of his hits off of Hall of Fame pitchers (coming against Warren Spahn and Sandy Koufax, with 3 and 2 respectively).

jojo
09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Bump (Wills).

Other than being Maury Wills' son, he is perhaps most famous for being the guy who beat out Lenny Randle for a starting job supposedly causing Randle to break his manager's jaw in three places. Randle was then banished to the Mets and Luchessi was soon thereafter fired for, I guess, having a glass jaw.

edabbs44
09-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Bump (Wills).

Other than being Maury Wills' son, he is perhaps most famous for being the guy who beat out Lenny Randle for a starting job supposedly causing Randle to break his manager's jaw in three places. Randle was then banished to the Mets and Luchessi was soon thereafter fired for, I guess, having a glass jaw.

Or the guy with an "error card" in the 1979 Topps set.

Revering4Blue
09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Or the guy with an "error card" in the 1979 Topps set.

I remember it well. In fact, the correct "Rangers" card was the most valuable at the time, IIRC.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8G0DOSL-1R8/UhI9_3eKMzI/AAAAAAAAIYA/jj-1jt0K1D4/s400/1979+Bump+Wills.JPG

Old school 1983
09-18-2013, 02:08 AM

How about an ice cold Budweiser!