PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

corkedbat
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I haven't seen much on the subject. How will the summer games affect the MLB season (or will it)? Wil there be a schedule interruption? I'm guessing Joey would play for Canada? Cueto maybe for the DR? Possibly Sulbaran for the Dutch and Lutz for the German team? I'm probably missing others too.

dabvu2498
05-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I haven't seen much on the subject. How will the summer games affect the MLB season (or will it)? I'm guessing Joey would play for Canada. Cueto maybe for the DR? Possibly Sulbaran for the Dutch and Lutz for the German team? I'm probably missing others too.

It might be an issue, but baseball was voted out for this Olympics and can't be voted back in until at least 2020.

corkedbat
05-13-2012, 12:54 PM
It might be an issue, but baseball was voted out for this Olympics and can't be voted back in until at least 2020.

Oh, I forgot about that! Wondered why there hadn't been more discussion. Thanks! :)

Crumbley
05-13-2012, 01:26 PM

cinreds21
05-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Even if baseball was, it' usually minor league guys that are in it. You rarely see any big names in the Olympics if I recall correctly.

Reds Fanatic
05-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Even if baseball was, it' usually minor league guys that are in it. You rarely see any big names in the Olympics if I recall correctly.

That is true but I think for baseball to get re-instated as an Olympic sport it is going to take allowing the major league players to play. If they let the major league players participate the sport woud get re-instated but it would take a major disruption to the schedule to do it.

cinreds21
05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Right. The talent from the United States isn't there compared to the "best" from other countries.

KronoRed
05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
That is true but I think for baseball to get re-instated as an Olympic sport it is going to take allowing the major league players to play. If they let the major league players participate the sport woud get re-instated but it would take a major disruption to the schedule to do it.

That won't happen, baseball has hitched its wagon to the dull as dirt World Baseball Classic.

Yachtzee
05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
They could do the Olympics by dumping the All Star game during Olympic years and having a two week break during the Olympics. As the sport grows internationally, they might use performance in the World Baseball Classic as a qualifier for the Olympics to avoid having to deal with too many teams.

On the other hand, I don't think having to have the best players in the Olympics is necessarily a requirement. Olympic soccer teams are primarily U-23 teams, with the exception of 3 senior players allowed to take part. I think the bigger issue at the time baseball was excluded may have been MLB's to implement the stricter drug testing regime demanded by the IOC.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Ahhh, the IOC -- the only organization out there that could give FIFA a run for its money in terms of organizational cleanliness.

cincinnati chili
05-14-2012, 03:40 AM
I can hardly blame the IOC for bumping baseball from the Olympics, because MLB refused to stop the season to to allow for it. In a crowded summer Olympic field, the IOC had no use in propping up a cumbersome-to-host sport in which the best players wouldn't even be attending.

European soccer is doing a much better job of cracking the U.S. market than MLB is doing at cracking the European market, and reason #1 is that European soccer clubs take the risk of allowing their premiere high-paid players to go showcase their talents in International tournaments that people care about - including the Olympics.

Yachtzee
05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
I can hardly blame the IOC for bumping baseball from the Olympics, because MLB refused to stop the season to to allow for it. In a crowded summer Olympic field, the IOC had no use in propping up a cumbersome-to-host sport in which the best players wouldn't even be attending.

European soccer is doing a much better job of cracking the U.S. market than MLB is doing at cracking the European market, and reason #1 is that European soccer clubs take the risk of allowing their premiere high-paid players to go showcase their talents in International tournaments that people care about - including the Olympics.

There's always been a struggle between club and country though, and concessions abound. As I noted above, the national teams in the Olympics aren't the same national teams you see in the World Cup. They're U-23 squads with exemptions for 3 players over 23 years old. It would be similar to Olympic baseball being made of minor leaguers with exemptions for 3 major leaguers. Soccer also has the luxury of most leagues having their break while the Olympics are being held. Note also that Euro 2012 is going on this summer. The best European players will be in that tournament, and I suspect some of the better U-23 players will be playing that tournament and taking the Olympics off. When it comes to soccer, the Olympics are way down on the list of priorities, behind World Cup, World Cup Qualifiers, and Federation Championships.

Yachtzee
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
For baseball to get back into the Olympics, I think MLB needs to do more to promote the game overseas, beyond just starting the season in Japan every few years. If you look at why European soccer has become wildly popular around the world, it's more than just freeing up players for international duty. They also promote the game by having pro teams play friendlies around the world during the off season. Every summer top European clubs play in the US and Asia, trying to pump up their brands in other countries. Heck, Real Madrid is opening a soccer-themed resort in the United Arab Emirates. MLB might gain a more global fanbase if they spent their offseason sending teams to China, India, the Gulf States, South America and Europe. With more global interest comes more money and with more money comes more interest from the IOC.