PDA

View Full Version : Who is Your Favorite Announcing Duo?

jhc2010
05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
With the return of George Grande this weekend, which is your favorite Reds announcing duo on both the radio and TV sides?

Please vote for two duos, one TV and one Radio.

*BaseClogger*
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I didn't know Welsh has done radio, but anything other Brantley or Kelch sounds good to me.

For TV, I just can't stand Thom's complaining. Give me rosy George Grande instead...

mth123
05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Voted other, Kelch and Welsh. Grande and Welsh would be my second choice.

jhc2010
05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I didn't know Welsh has done radioWelsh was with Marty on radio for two games so far this season. I believe it was for the first two games of the Reds/Giants series on Tuesday April 24 & Wednesday April 25. Thom and Marty called the Thursday afternoon game of that series on radio as there was no TV that game.

Spitball
05-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I haven't lived in Cincy in a long, long time and not for all that long. I do remember enjoying Waite Hoyt and Claude Sullivan. I believe Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick did television in those days.

I remember Hoyt would fill rain delays with great stories about his playing days.

dougdirt
05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Anyone and Kelch is better than any combo not involving Kelch.

Ron Madden
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Agreed I like Kelch and Welsh.

The Duo of Marty and Brantley gets harder to listen to everyday..JMHO

Everyone said that Jeffs PBP would improve .. It hasn't and his color commentating is crap too

fearofpopvol1
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Yeah, how come this was not an option on the TV side? It's a good one.

Hearing George this weekend, I have to say, I just don't miss him (nothing personal to him of course). I don't mind Thom as much as most do either.

dfs
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM

yup.

For TV, I just can't stand Thom's complaining. Give me rosy George Grande instead...

Yes. At one time I really couldn't stand Grande's rosy cardinal outlook, but now that the reds have a double dose of Brennaman announcers grouching their way through the season, I find George very listenable.

Team Clark
05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
When Grande is on Fox for his cameos I turn the sound off. I have never been a fan of Grande. I see why some people are fans and that is great but I just can't swallow that pill. Brantley is becoming less tolerable.

Kelch does a very nice job! Big league broadcaster for sure. Thom is OK. Asks some really dumb questions of Chris. I'm sure it's on purpose to make a point but more often than not it makes Thom sound like he's 5 years old at is first ball game.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Give me Marty & the Cowboy every day and Sunday.

FlightRick
05-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I might be in the minority, but I just can't lump the two Brennamans in the same pile. Marty can be grumpy, but he's my kind of grumpy; he gets upset in roughly the same fashion as I do, not overdoing it, and I like having somebody who "gets me" telling me the story of the game. Plus, when the Reds do well, he gets as excited as I do, too, and it also rings true and feels right. Thom's just a (surprisingly) ill-informed harpy who latches onto dumb rants, drives them into the ground, and doesn't even seem that convincing of a "homer" when the Reds do well.

So: thumbs up to Marty, thumbs down to Thom.

That makes Kelch the obvious choice for the TV PBP guy... thing is, I like him and Marty on radio, but only for one reason: Cowboy is atrocious at play-by-play. He's a great color guy and a likeable personality, but if he's doing PBP for one third of each game, he's also a liability. Does anyone know the full story behind Marty taking the 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings off? Is that some kind of industry standard? Or an old-timey throwback thing that used to be common, so Marty's grandfathered in? Or just Marty being Marty, to the detriment of the overall product?

If we could get Marty to work 9 innings, then the ideal situation would definitely be Marty/Cowboy on radio and Kelch/Welsh on TV.

If not, I'd like to hear more of Welsh on PBP before I make a judgment... but maybe he'd play just as well as he does on TV on radio (and I think he plays very well on TV, after hearing other team's color guys, I vote we're very lucky to have him), and if so, you just switch him with Cowboy (who plays WAY better on TV than on radio, seeing as how you have pictures to tell you what is happening on TV and don't have to rely on Brantley's quasi-English descriptions).

Either that, or let Marty keep his 3 inning vacation, keep Cowboy on radio, and pull Kelch over from TV for those three innings. Then put either Day or Picoiro in the booth to keep Welsh company for those innings on TV; they're both better than Thom, at least.

Rick

WVPacman
05-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Marty/Cowboy on radio

Thom/Cowboy on tv

All Brennaman's with the Cowboy all day everyday!!!

AtomicDumpling
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
At one time I really couldn't stand Grande's rosy cardinal outlook, but now that the reds have a double dose of Brennaman announcers grouching their way through the season, I find George very listenable.

I agree wholeheartedly.

AtomicDumpling
05-14-2012, 12:41 AM

Dang, I didn't think to vote for Other. I would have voted for Kelch and Welsh if it had been an option. Not sure why it was not an option since they do so many games together. In fact it throws off the entire poll because Thom and Welsh are the only option in the TV vote. The other two combos rarely happen at all. Kelch and Welsh do as many games as Thom and Welsh yet they were not included in the poll, which means that Thom and Welsh is guaranteed to win the poll.

I do not care to listen to Thom in any form or fashion. He is simply unpleasant and grates my nerves. I roll my eyes every time I tune in and see that he is doing the game.

Marty is a grumpy shell of his former excellence. Marty was great as Joe's sidekick, but he is an egotistical know-it-all old man at this stage of his career. He still does great play-by-play but sounds like a fool when he starts giving his opinion. His whining and nastiness turns me off in a hurry.

Chris Welsh is by far the best option the Reds currently have and is actually one of the best in the business in my opinion. Jim Kelch is also a very good play-by-play guy. Kelch is underrated by too many people. Give him a chance guys, he is good.

Brantley is a good guy and I like him, but he just does not have what it takes to be a radio announcer. His play-by-play is atrocious. His color commentary is sometimes good and sometimes comical (in a bad way). It is interesting to hear him talk about pitching, but his comments on hitting and strategy are ridiculously bad.

Grande is too syrupy sweet, loves small ball, spends too much time talking about college baseball and secretly loves the Cardinals, but I still like him anyway. He is the #3 option behind Welsh and Kelch in my book.

Please keep Sean Casey away from the broadcast booth, especially when the Reds are playing the Pirates. It was quite obvious last year that Casey keeps more in touch with his hometown Pirates than he does the Reds, and it felt like he was happy that the Pirates were beating the Reds when he broadcast those games last year. Casey is fine as a visitor in the booth for a couple innings so he can tell his Skyline eating adventure stories, but that is all I can take of him as an announcer.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Chris Welsh secretly loathes Thom Brennaman? They don't argue as much as they did in Thom's first season, but I sense that Welsh thinks Thom is a poser.

Caveat Emperor
05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Chris Welsh secretly loathes Thom Brennaman? They don't argue as much as they did in Thom's first season, but I sense that Welsh thinks Thom is a poser.

Every so often, you hear something that makes you think the two aren't exactly buddies.

Most of the time it'll happen when Thom gets on one of his rants (which usually begin, ironically enough, with some form of "I don't want to get on a rant here...") about how the game is supposed to be played. I can recall Welsh snapping at him a few times and creating some awkward moments in the booth.

Though, admittedly, it must be tough to sit there and listen to someone get righteous or cap on a player who never played an inning of baseball professionally and who, quite literally, didn't pay an ounce of dues in his broadcasting life.

nate
05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I like George and Chris.

Otherwise, I listen with the sound off.

:cool:

cumberlandreds
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I like Grande and Welsh the best. I wish I could have heard them this weekend but living in the DC area I was stuck with the Nats announcers. I suspect if Grande spewed more hatred of the Cardinals he would get more love on RZ. But he's a nice guy and I like him for that and his overall baseball knowledge.
The Brennamans just spew too much venom for me these days. Marty can still do PBP very well but otherwise comes off as a grumpy old man who would rather be home. Thom has a football mentality doing baseball. This doesn't work for baseball. He has seemed more tolerable this year when he has been with Welsh. I think Chris has him beat down a little.
Brantley can be very good at analysis. He can point out things that others don't. But he's horrible at PBP. You have no idea what's going on when he's PBP. Also if he gets off on talking food then forget baseball the rest of the evening. Thom eggs him on with that and I can't stand it when these two are together. If he wants talk about food then get a show on the Food Network.
Hopefully Casey is done. He's a nice guy but added nothing but yucks to the game. He gave no worthwhile analysis and basically laughed through the whole broadcast.
Kelch is fine. Sometimes he tries a little too hard to be funny. But he's solid and seems to blend in with whoever he is with.

WildcatFan
05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
I voted Marty and Welsh on the radio. Marty's my guy, and when Chris is on the radio he lets loose and is genuinely funny.

Kelch and Welsh on TV.

I would love to give Kent Mercker another go at the radio, though. I remember really enjoying his 3 or so games a couple years ago. Doug Flynn wasn't bad yesterday.

RichRed
05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I like Grande and Welsh the best. I wish I could have heard them this weekend but living in the DC area I was stuck with the Nats announcers.

Not to derail, but Carpenter and Santangelo are awful, in my opinion.

cumberlandreds
05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Not to derail, but Carpenter and Santangelo are awful, in my opinion.

They are OK. Just kind of blahhh announcers. The Nats could do better IMO.

Nasty_Boy
05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed I like Kelch and Welsh.

The Duo of Marty and Brantley gets harder to listen to everyday..JMHO

Everyone said that Jeffs PBP would improve .. It hasn't and his color commentating is crap too

This is nearly word for word what I was going to post... Brantley wears me out!

I love when Marty is just calling the game... His uninformed off the cuff opinions drive me crazy. He acts as if he's offended when a guy has a bad game or goes into a slump. His PBP is great and nobody calls the exciting play like him, but his arrogant HOF shtick drives me crazy.

dougdirt
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
This is nearly word for word what I was going to post... Brantley wears me out!

I love when Marty is just calling the game... His uninformed off the cuff opinions drive me crazy. He acts as if he's offended when a guy has a bad game or goes into a slump. His PBP is great and nobody calls the exciting play like him, but his arrogant HOF shtick drives me crazy.

This multiplied by 10,000.

oneupper
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I like Welsh. Tom comes out a bit ahead of Kelch and Grande as his companion, but he does get grumpy/frumpy a bit too much.
Sometimes I tune in to the rival broadcast. I like the SF guys (Krukow and ?).

lollipopcurve
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Agreed -- they're great. Mets guys can be good at times, especially Darling. Might give them a try this week, depending on who the Reds duo is.

Tom Servo
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Agreed -- they're great. Mets guys can be good at times, especially Darling. Might give them a try this week, depending on who the Reds duo is.
Cohen and Darling are good, but Keith Hernandez drags the entire broadcast down.

Big Klu
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Cohen and Darling are good, but Keith Hernandez drags the entire broadcast down.

RE-JECTED!

http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/keith-hernandez-2009-10-e1305906375499.jpg?w=300

jhc2010
05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Welsh is back on the radio for the Atlanta series. His play-by-play call in the 3rd, 4th & 7th innings were 100% better than anything Brantley does with regards to play-by-play.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Welsh is back on the radio for the Atlanta series. His play-by-play call in the 3rd, 4th & 7th innings were 100% better than anything Brantley does with regards to play-by-play.That's very true. I like the smooth voice of Welsh. Kelch's raspy almost unattractive voice just sends me up a wall that fingernails on a chalkboard (if such things still exist). Brantley should never do PBP. Just doesn't have the timing for it. i do enjoy his color, though and he does a fine job with analysis. George just annoys me. There is only so much "happy" you can be. Nice guy, though, I'm sure.

Marty, though much maligned here, is old school all the way. I'm sure many hated Barber or many of the older guys as they aged. I also many would despise Waite Hoyt in his later years, and yet those memories are fresh in my mind. Many liked the "Bad Boy" when he was with the Reds, but I'm sure Milo of the Astros would send many up the wall. Lots of different voices on local broadcasts, but we do not have the worst. Just take some time, if you have MLB At Bat, and listen to some of them. Horrible.

Caveat Emperor
05-15-2012, 01:37 AM
If you programmed a computer to produce a baseball play-by-play guy, the outcome would be very close to Jim Kelch.

AtomicDumpling
05-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I noticed that one person voted for every option in the poll.

cumberlandreds
05-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Totally agree. Hernandez was a jerk player and is a jerk as a broadcaster as well.

cumberlandreds
05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
I like Welsh. Tom comes out a bit ahead of Kelch and Grande as his companion, but he does get grumpy/frumpy a bit too much.

Duane Kuiper is Krukow's sidekick. They are one of the best teams. I usually listen to them when the Reds play them.
I also like:
Dodgers when Vin Scully is doing the games.
Padres Mainly because of Dick Enberg. He's just a comfortable voice to listen to.
A's Glen Kuiper and Ray Fosse
Orioles when Jim Palmer is doing the games.
There's a few others too.

I don't like the Mets,White Sox and Cardinals at all. Will hardly ever tune into their broadcasts.

Nasty_Boy
05-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I love having the At Bat '12 app and I have XM radio in my car, because there are some days that I just can't take Brantley... and Marty to a lesser extent. Brantley will ride guys or make mistakes on fundamentals that make me wonder if he ever did anything but pitch.

I enjoyed listening to Harry Doyle last week in Milwaukee. Kuiper and Krukow are excellent and Vin Scully is so awesome and different from everyone else.

The Voice of IH
05-15-2012, 11:43 AM
I like the 'A' Teams just fine. Thom and Chris, Marty and the Cowboy.

I do like it when Keltch and Welsh are together, because Welsh makes fun of him a lot during the broadcasts.

I like Welsh in general though, I really do. I think he does a fine job with anyone.

Oh, and Marty and Keltch maybe the best duo of them all though. They really work well together.

Crumbley
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
If you programmed a computer to produce a baseball play-by-play guy, the outcome would be very close to Jim Kelch.
Kelch is essentially an EA Sports commentator.

Welsh is awesome, sprinkles in some modern stats and can really break down pitching.

I'd probably feel differently if I saw him more often but Cowboy and his endless quest for food entertains me.

Thom is only bearable when the Reds win.

Why does this team have so many announcers?

REDREAD
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Anyone but Marty on the radio. Honestly, Marty seems to perfer when one of his Reds "goats" (Homer, Stubbs, Bruce,etc) fails than when the team does well. He loves to get the chance to criticize the team.

Marty had to mention how many strikeouts Stubbs had at EVERY at bat Stubbs had last year (at least in the second half).. Every freaking game, multiple times.. We had to be reminded that Stubbs leads the league in Ks.

Marty also seems to delight when a Reds position player has a low BA w/RISP.
He loves to announce that player "is just not getting it done".

He also seemed to really enjoy complaining about Chapman last year. Even after Chapman righted the ship.. it took too long for Marty to stop the complaining.

It's a shame, because Marty used to be the best announcer in baseball.
I remember putting up with tons of static on the AM radio as a kid, just to be able to hear every 3rd word from Marty.. Now Marty makes listening to the radio intolerable.. As much as I hate Brantley's constant ice cream commericals, it's better than Marty.

And I agree that Thom paired with Marty makes them both worse.
Thom is better when he's not with his dad.

REDREAD
05-15-2012, 04:57 PM
. Does anyone know the full story behind Marty taking the 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings off? Is that some kind of industry standard? Or an old-timey throwback

Marty and Joe used to give each other a break and do an entire inning.
Marty then felt he was entitled to not have to "Work" the entire game, because he considers it hard work.

Not that I am complaining, it's nice for me to get a break from him too.

The Voice of IH
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
whoop,

George Anderson
05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I dont listen to other teams announcers, but is it common for other announcers to talk about things like ice cream,barbecue, tomoto plants, elvis and other nonsensical stuff I really could care less about?

*BaseClogger*
05-15-2012, 11:43 PM
I dont listen to other teams announcers, but is it common for other announcers to talk about things like ice cream,barbecue, tomoto plants, elvis and other nonsensical stuff I really could care less about?

Not in Detroit, in my experience. I like the color their personality brings to the broadcast, but it sure is frustrating when all I'm trying to do is pick up the score...

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I guess I'm amazed that folks like the status quo on TV. I'm more amazed that dang near as many like Grande and Welsh. Maybe some of us are just not in the majority. George is the guy next door that is nice but you don't invite him to your cookout. And people still love him. I'm going to bed. Confusion is a terrible thing.

Yachtzee
05-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Voted other for Kelch and Welsh. Loved Marty and Joe growing up. Can't stand Curmudgeon Marty. Thom tries too hard to be like his dad, which makes him Curmudgeon, Jr. Cowboy is Cowboy.

Superdude

Kelch is one of those classic minor league broadcasters to me; decent at calling a game, but is way out of his element when things go off script. To me, it's the engaging personalities, banter, and casual talk that make the radio worth listening to. If it's just Kelch rattling off play-by-play, I'll just look at the score on my phone.

Tom Servo
I guess I'm amazed that folks like the status quo on TV. I'm more amazed that dang near as many like Grande and Welsh. Maybe some of us are just not in the majority. George is the guy next door that is nice but you don't invite him to your cookout. And people still love him. I'm going to bed. Confusion is a terrible thing.
I'd much rather have George at my cookout than Thom or Marty, who would complain excessively about my cookout decisions.

Yachtzee
05-16-2012, 12:09 AM
That's very true. I like the smooth voice of Welsh. Kelch's raspy almost unattractive voice just sends me up a wall that fingernails on a chalkboard (if such things still exist). Brantley should never do PBP. Just doesn't have the timing for it. i do enjoy his color, though and he does a fine job with analysis. George just annoys me. There is only so much "happy" you can be. Nice guy, though, I'm sure.

Marty, though much maligned here, is old school all the way. I'm sure many hated Barber or many of the older guys as they aged. I also many would despise Waite Hoyt in his later years, and yet those memories are fresh in my mind. Many liked the "Bad Boy" when he was with the Reds, but I'm sure Milo of the Astros would send many up the wall. Lots of different voices on local broadcasts, but we do not have the worst. Just take some time, if you have MLB At Bat, and listen to some of them. Horrible.

I don't know about your statements on Red Barber and Waite Hoyt. Never heard anything but good comments about them from those who listened to them. The thing is, I don't think they ever turned into curmudgeons as they got into their later years. I've only heard bits and pieces of audio clips from old recordings, but both those guys sounded like they enjoyed being at the ball game. Marty often sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else than at the game, especially if the game isn't going well.

I think a valid comparison is Marty vs. Vin Scully. Scully has been around a lot longer than Marty, but ever remains the consummate professional. He'll call the game, toss in interesting tidbits about the players, and will make notes of good or bad play without being overly critical. Marty and Mini-Marty (Thom) will get stuck on something that bothers them and latch onto it like a pit bull. Give me a guy who sounds like he actually enjoys the game of baseball over than a guy who acts like any instance of failure is an affront to his sensibilities.

Vottomatic
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I think they have a really good group of announcers now. But I'm surprised that Marty/Brantley hasn't gotten more votes. I like listening to them more than any of them.

I like Jim Kelch, he's mr stats. I think Welsh is good. Thom is good but sometimes gets on my nerves.

AtomicDumpling
05-16-2012, 05:28 PM

Keep in mind that the "status quo" was the only real option on the poll. The other two options are very rarely on TV at all. The combo of Kelch and Welsh, which occurs 50-60 times per season was not included in the poll for some reason.

Ron Madden
05-17-2012, 11:54 AM
On the radio side: I wish they wouldn't waste so much time on the Cincinnati Bell trivia question and that gawd awful Ask Marty segment.

Orenda
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
el boca de oro..don't quote the translation. George Grande is growing on me, it's amazing what continual losing can do to your mindset, but he does a nice job...He and Welch were a good fit

REDREAD
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I'd much rather have George at my cookout than Thom or Marty, who would complain excessively about my cookout decisions.

:lol: Yep, the Brennamans would be a major buzzkill at a party.

"Just look at this burger. It's supposed to be medium rare and is clearly medium. That's not getting the job done AT ALL. Servo led the league in overcooked burgers last year and doesn't seem to have made ANY adjustments."

Orenda
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
:lol: Yep, the Brennamans would be a major buzzkill at a party.

"Just look at this burger. It's supposed to be medium rare and is clearly medium. That's not getting the job done AT ALL. Servo led the league in overcooked burgers last year and doesn't seem to have made ANY adjustments."

on the other hand George might get the chef a little too full of himself, you'd need Welsh there too subtly put out the flames of unrealistic hype.

George: "A true feast here today ladies and gentleman, as we find ourselves on the smiling side of the plate once again"

Chris: "you're right about that George...and boy were we famished"