PDA

View Full Version : Is Doug Flynn getting a radio tryout?

RANDY IN INDY
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I would like that. I like him much better than Brantley.

RANDY IN INDY
05-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Big Red Machine guy. Pleasant folksy voice. Knows the game.

Ron Madden
05-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I would like that. I like him much better than Brantley.

Make that two of us Randy..

KronoRed
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
A scratched record of old life alert commercials is better then Brantley.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Brantley is actually my favorite part of Reds games on the radio these days.

Blimpie
05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I also fall in the category of those who enjoy listening to Brantley. However, Flynn has been doing color on some of the UK baseball games this season and he is quite good.

Superdude
05-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Brantley is actually my favorite part of Reds games on the radio these days.

I really don't understand how people can hate on our broadcasters. Brantley doesn't call a perfect game, but I'll take him everyday over the generic banter and monotonous play-by-play style of most broadcasts. Him and Marty are great together IMO.

kbrake
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
How does anyone know what is going on in the game when Brantley is on radio?

camisadelgolf
05-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not a Brantley fan, but I feel like he gets more flack than he deserves. He's unimpressive, but it's not like the majority of his peers are significantly better.

BCubb2003
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm not a Brantley fan, but I feel like he gets more flack than he deserves. He's unimpressive, but it's not like the majority of his peers are significantly better.

I agree. It's not easy to be the old ballplayer-color guy and do play-by-play. Doug Flynn sounds pretty good, though.

camisadelgolf
05-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Doug Flynn is also one of my favorite storytellers. I'm surprised it took this long for him to get on the mic for the Reds.

yab1112
05-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Today was the first time I heard him. I thought he was pretty good. I don't mind Brantley so much either though. He's entertaining to say the least.

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 07:55 AM
How does anyone know what is going on in the game when Brantley is on radio?

I complain about Brantley as much as anybody, but I can't say it's the entire broadcast. I have two large beefs with him.

One is when some action occurs, he has a bad of habit of not making it clear exactly what happened, sometimes to my emotional detriment (or just plain bafflement).

The other is the excited tone he uses when the opposing team does something good. It primarily happens on when one of our batters strikes out or when the other team's batter hits a home run. I understand being a fan, but he needs to remember he's broadcasting to our market, not a wider one. That's not to suggest he should be a "homer," but those events require simple reporting. It can include, IMO, some discussion of how good a particular pitch (or pitch sequences were) or even noting how completely fooled our guy was or whatever, but take the excitement out of your voice that makes it sound as if something good for us has happened.

What I do like from Brantley is that, at times, he adds some very good insight into the game, particularly with regards to pitching. And his folksy schtick isn't as grating as some suggest. He's not a dope, but he doesn't mind playing one from time to time.

One last gripe - for heaven's sake, Jeff, use your off-season to learn a thing or two about baseball trivia. You're embarrassing yourself at times and we're tired of hollering the right answer at the radio!

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I thought Flynn did a good job. I don't know that they're "auditioning" him, but rather looking to have some options when they do need someone else to sit in, much like they have with Kent Mercker, who is actually listed on the website as a substitute announcer.

bucksfan2
05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
In regards to Brantly, he is awful when it comes to calling the game by himself. He tends to give a discription of what actually happened before he tells the audience what happened. He will say something like "curve ball out side corner strike one." And with the way he talks it takes him a while to actually convey what happened.

That said when he is paired with someone else I think he is very good. Especially when it comes to describing what actually happened on the pitch, what type of pitch was thrown, the location, and why it was a good or bad pitch. Jeff with one of the Brennaman's is my favorite duo but Jeff on air by himself often souds like dead air.

Always Red
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
In regards to Brantly, he is awful when it comes to calling the game by himself. He tends to give a discription of what actually happened before he tells the audience what happened. He will say something like "curve ball out side corner strike one." And with the way he talks it takes him a while to actually convey what happened.

That said when he is paired with someone else I think he is very good. Especially when it comes to describing what actually happened on the pitch, what type of pitch was thrown, the location, and why it was a good or bad pitch. Jeff with one of the Brennaman's is my favorite duo but Jeff on air by himself often souds like dead air.

Back in olden days when radios had dials, I could almost always tell when I had tuned into the Reds game because I could hear no sounds except for the popping of paper cups and undecipherable fan chatter. It was Joe, whom we all loved dearly, doing his turn at play by play.

I also think JB has grown very nicely into the color role; I enjoy listening to him when he's with Marty or Jim.

Redmetz- I think JB's actually smarter than he lets on, and enjoys playing the role of less than intelligent southern boy who just loves baseball, ice cream and ribs.

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Redmetz- I think JB's actually smarter than he lets on, and enjoys playing the role of less than intelligent southern boy who just loves baseball, ice cream and ribs.

I had hoped to convey that. I don't doubt that he's got a lot going on in the smarts area, but playing up the dumb country boy schtick (not to mention the ice cream gobbling guy).