PDA

View Full Version : Sports rule changes you want to see

improbus
05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Basketball and Football: Coaches shouldn't be able to call timeouts. I don't think they should have any official part in the game, because they are not actually playing the game.

Football:
1) Eliminate the illegal motion rules, who cares.
2) Eliminate the 6 men on the line of scrimmage rule.
3) Put a bar across the top of the goal posts to force kickers to kick it lower, making closer field goals a riskier choice.
4) Eliminate the eligibility rules for catching passes. If a Left guard can catch it, let him.

Basketball:
1) Eliminate the slide under move to take a charge.
2) Eliminate goal tending after the ball hits the rim (which I think the NBA is going to do)
3) Widen the floor to eliminate the close corner three and give teams more room to operate.
4) College needs to shorten the shot clock to prevent the Wisconsin offense.
5) Eliminate the music during play. During time outs is fine, but not during the game. It tells the crowd, "we don't actually need you to pay attention or be interested, we can make our own noise,". OR go whole hog. Run the NBA like and And1 tournament with a DJ spinning tunes for the entire game. I played in a student-staff basketball game and we had the local hip hop station DJ the game. The in game music was tremendous and the energy from it was non stop.

I'll leave out baseball for the actual baseball fora.

VottoFan54
05-14-2012, 11:25 PM
NBA - Allow hand checking

Football in general - Not a rule change, but more offensive pass interference, don't let recievers get away with everything. Loosen up PI rules overall, make the game more balanced by allowing some physicality in the secondary. The NFL is too offense/passing oriented right now.

New York Red
05-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Basketball: Eliminate fouling out.

It's the only sport in the world in which a player can be disqualified for normal penalties. Set the limit at six fouls or whatever, then penalize the team by giving two shots and the ball to an opponent when that player picks up another foul. Removing the player from the game, considering how difficult it is to officiate a basketball game with the speed and physicality we see now, is ridiculous.

Joseph
05-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Love your football proposals, don't care a bit about basketball so those don't register.

Hockey
1. I'd love to see an elimination of offsides. If a team wants to cherry pick, let em.
2. Two line passes. Enough said.
3. The instigator rule, let em throw.

jmac
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
NBA.....cut out the "advance the ball to midcourt with a timeout". This seems to make the last 2 minutes of an NBA game seem to take 30 minutes.

VottoFan54
05-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Love your football proposals, don't care a bit about basketball so those don't register.

Hockey
1. I'd love to see an elimination of offsides. If a team wants to cherry pick, let em.

This sounds interesting, I wonder how it would change strategies. I would think that speedy forwards would be more valuable. I am just speaking from what I see in college hockey, so I might be wrong on how it would affect the NHL.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Basketball: Eliminate fouling out.

It's the only sport in the world in which a player can be disqualified for normal penalties. Set the limit at six fouls or whatever, then penalize the team by giving two shots and the ball to an opponent when that player picks up another foul. Removing the player from the game, considering how difficult it is to officiate a basketball game with the speed and physicality we see now, is ridiculous.

This x 1000. Let the guys continue to play. 2 shots and the ball is a stiff penalty, but at least they still play.

The NFL pass interference at the spot of the foul is bogus. You get a ticky-tack PI and suddenly its a 40 yard penalty and you're within FG range. College has it right, make it a 15 yarder.

SunDeck
05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I hate it when I stripe one down the fairway and it rolls into a divot. That one needs to be changed.

improbus
05-16-2012, 10:49 PM
This x 1000. Let the guys continue to play. 2 shots and the ball is a stiff penalty, but at least they still play.

The NFL pass interference at the spot of the foul is bogus. You get a ticky-tack PI and suddenly its a 40 yard penalty and you're within FG range. College has it right, make it a 15 yarder.

But, if the QB goes deep what is the deterrent from the defender just destroying the receiver? I don't like the spot foul rule, but I'm not sure how to get around it. If DB's started tackling wideouts 40 yards downfield consistently, is that good for the game? Maybe you have a "Flagrant Pass Interference" which is a spot foul. But...I don't like forcing refs to make more judgment calls.

Spitball
05-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Hockey
2. Two line passes. Enough said

I think these would change the sport way too much...and far from for the better. There would be less need for efficiency and quality of play. These two proposals turn it into more of a pinball game.

HeatherC1212
05-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Gymnastics: Make the Olympic teams have six members again. They're going to five member teams for the first time this summer with the London Games and there are way too many good gymnasts from not just the USA but a lot of other countries as well that are going to be left at home. It's sad to me that they're changing this rule for no real apparent reason. :(

Yachtzee
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Gymnastics: Make the Olympic teams have six members again. They're going to five member teams for the first time this summer with the London Games and there are way too many good gymnasts from not just the USA but a lot of other countries as well that are going to be left at home. It's sad to me that they're changing this rule for no real apparent reason. :(

That seems silly. My beef with women's gymnastics is that the sport is set up to favor younger girls who often haven't finished growing and push them to their limits. According to my grandfather, who spend many years treating athletes as an orthopedic surgeon, young athletes performing at that level at such a young age often end up with injuries that affect the growth plates in their skeletal system, which can cause significant problems as they grow older. If anything, I'd like to see them work on modifying the events in ways that give advantage to older athletes who have reached physical maturity. I don't know how you would do that, maybe by having the women's events more resemble the men's, where physical strength is just as important as flexibility. Over the years we've seen more women compete in sports and events traditional considered men's domain. I see no reason why women can't compete on apparati similar to the men's, other than the powers that be like seeing girls do crazy flippy moves on the uneven bars and the balance beam.

Yachtzee
05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
I think for Soccer, changes need to be made to make use of technology in the game. I'd like to see full implementation of goal-line technology to determine whether the ball has crossed the goal line on close calls. I think eventually they could come up with something to deal with offsides too, maybe involving RFID chips sewn into uniforms and one placed in the ball so that offsides can be determined with more accuracy.

Another idea I think would be good would be useful in World Cup play to discourage cynical play by giving teams that have accumulated a certain number of yellows a "general yellow card," whereby the next player who commits a yellow card worthy foul automatically gets a red card, regardless of whether they have a prior yellow. While it seems like the various pro leagues have been working to cut down on negative play, it still abounds in the World Cup.

paintmered
05-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I think for Soccer, changes need to be made to make use of technology in the game. I'd like to see full implementation of goal-line technology to determine whether the ball has crossed the goal line on close calls. I think eventually they could come up with something to deal with offsides too, maybe involving RFID chips sewn into uniforms and one placed in the ball so that offsides can be determined with more accuracy.

Not sure that could be done with RFID. You would need to be able to resolve relative angle between multiple passive antennas (RFID only recognizes proximity) and adaptively move the transmitting antenna up down the pitch with the last defender. And then there's the problem of range, you need to do this at upwards 50 yards. GPS tracking might be a better option, but there's still too much variance in its positioning and isn't dynamic enough for the situation of determining offsides.

It's a tricky problem to solve with current techniques, but it's a fun one to ponder. With unlimited money, you could couple inertial sensors with a GPS receiver. But even then, the problem requires an accuracy of 2-3". Not even that setup can provide that kind of accuracy over 45 minutes.

ervinsm84
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Wouldn't judging offside in soccer be easier if they just made it like offside in hockey, but still not change the game dramatically? Just make two giant blue lines around 30 yards out from the goal and I think it would be much better

ervinsm84
05-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Another idea I think would be good would be useful in World Cup play to discourage cynical play by giving teams that have accumulated a certain number of yellows a "general yellow card," whereby the next player who commits a yellow card worthy foul automatically gets a red card, regardless of whether they have a prior yellow. While it seems like the various pro leagues have been working to cut down on negative play, it still abounds in the World Cup.

I like this idea a lot, and it wouldn't be that hard to implement either. I really would like to see this in every regular soccer game.

ervinsm84
05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
But, if the QB goes deep what is the deterrent from the defender just destroying the receiver? I don't like the spot foul rule, but I'm not sure how to get around it. If DB's started tackling wideouts 40 yards downfield consistently, is that good for the game? Maybe you have a "Flagrant Pass Interference" which is a spot foul. But...I don't like forcing refs to make more judgment calls.

I'd like there to be a difference between PI's almost up to the official. Maybe have it to where the common PI is only 10 yard auto, but if there is a an egregious act like you suggested and enforce it like the break-away/clear path rule in the nba when a foul is committed before a fast break. However, for the egregious PI, I think the penalty should be more than a spot foul to discourage guys from just grabbing people from behind when toasted. Make it a spot foul + 10-15 yards, otherwise there's really no jeopardy for DBS to just grab someone when they're toasted

improbus
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Not sure that could be done with RFID. You would need to be able to resolve relative angle between multiple passive antennas (RFID only recognizes proximity) and adaptively move the transmitting antenna up down the pitch with the last defender. And then there's the problem of range, you need to do this at upwards 50 yards. GPS tracking might be a better option, but there's still too much variance in its positioning and isn't dynamic enough for the situation of determining offsides.

It's a tricky problem to solve with current techniques, but it's a fun one to ponder. With unlimited money, you could couple inertial sensors with a GPS receiver. But even then, the problem requires an accuracy of 2-3". Not even that setup can provide that kind of accuracy over 45 minutes.

The England vs. Belgium game in June will feature the Hawkeye system used at Wimbledon. That system is fast and has become a hit at Wimbledon. Imagine the crowd at a Derby cheering as the system shows a potential goal or no goal. It would be really fun.

improbus
05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
This one isn't a rule change, but more of a game day experience change. Why hasn't any team (that I know of) used the Tecmo Bowl "First Down" sound followed by the music? If I heard that at a game, I would lose my mind.

As a side note, I did hear that a player comes out to the plate to the RBI Baseball theme.

OldRightHander
06-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Not an in game rule change necessarily, but I'd make the MLB draft international.

Get rid of the instigator rule in hockey.

Free relief out of fairway divots.

What happened to the technical foul for hanging on the rim? Does that get called anymore?

RiverRat13
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Just a couple of years ago I laughed at the idea as foolish, but now I agree with Mark Cuban in that it is time to outlaw help defenders from taking charges.

- It would instantly bring more scoring to all levels.
- It is the hardest call to get right for officials.
- Flopping is out of control on all levels.
- It would increase the value of big men (i.e. shot blocking) after decades of rules trying to limit their influence has now turned basketball into a guard's game.

Outrider
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Allow hockey to go back to clearing the benches. On the surface it looked brutal. However allowing an enforcer to beat the crap out of someone going after a star like Gretzky or Crosby actually lowered the rate of injuries sustained.

reds1869
06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Allow hockey to go back to clearing the benches. On the surface it looked brutal. However allowing an enforcer to beat the crap out of someone going after a star like Gretzky or Crosby actually lowered the rate of injuries sustained.

There is a lot of validity to your idea. Under current rules the potential reward for a cheap shot outweighs the potential penalty.

Outrider
06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
On both the Oilers and Kings Gretzky never got a serious dirty hit from anyone because Marty McSorley would pound them into pulp for it.

Outrider
06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Just a couple of years ago I laughed at the idea as foolish, but now I agree with Mark Cuban in that it is time to outlaw help defenders from taking charges.

- It would instantly bring more scoring to all levels.
- It is the hardest call to get right for officials.
- Flopping is out of control on all levels.
- It would increase the value of big men (i.e. shot blocking) after decades of rules trying to limit their influence has now turned basketball into a guard's game.

I wouldn't mind this. It would eventually stop the defender from just standing in the way of a charge anyway. I also like eliminating foul outs and instead award multiple free throws for fouls.

Or better yet, red card the guy! When a player fouls out, don't allow him to be replaced! :thumbup:

cumberlandreds
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
What happened to the technical foul for hanging on the rim? Does that get called anymore?

It does, but not much. Anthony Davis had a couple this past season at UK. Quite honestly this is one they could get rid of. Unless the guy is doing it to show up someone then it's a useless technical. Back when dunking was first allowed in college basktball in the mid 70's the refs would call this nearly every game to the point of it being inane. Most of the time the player barely grasped the rim and it would be called.

improbus
06-15-2012, 12:44 AM
I would love to see less timeouts in basketball. They need to do anything to speed up the end of games and let the natural flow of basketball take over.

BTW, im for any change that minimalizes the impact of coaches on in game action (like they do in soccer). Coaches have too much power to influence the flow of a game by direct intervention. If the players want to stop play, let them, but I hate that coaches have an official role in games.

Todd Gack
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Basketball and Football: Coaches shouldn't be able to call timeouts. I don't think they should have any official part in the game, because they are not actually playing the game.

Football:
1) Eliminate the illegal motion rules, who cares.
2) Eliminate the 6 men on the line of scrimmage rule.
3) Put a bar across the top of the goal posts to force kickers to kick it lower, making closer field goals a riskier choice.
4) Eliminate the eligibility rules for catching passes. If a Left guard can catch it, let him.

1) You must be an Arena league fan?
2) Why?
3) See #1.
4) See #1 and the A-11 offense.

If anything, the NFL needs to get rid of the BS 'illegal contact' penalties.

improbus
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
1) You must be an Arena league fan?
2) Why?
3) See #1.
4) See #1 and the A-11 offense.

If anything, the NFL needs to get rid of the BS 'illegal contact' penalties.

The rules of football remind me of Napoleonic wars. We're wearing Red coats, you're wearing Blue coats. We will line up on one side and shoot at you if you line up on the other side and shoot at us. Got it, good.

Are defenses not sophisticated enough to handle seeing multiple men in motion? Why do you need 6 men on the line of scrimmage? What a fundamentally strange and arbitrary rule? If you don't have 6 men on the line (which essentially means that one WR need to pay attention and take one step forward), do you get a five yard penalty and are haunted by the ghost of Woody Hayes?

I want to see creativity in the game, and the rules of football are designed to stop creativity at every turn.

Chip R
06-17-2012, 01:32 PM
What I don't like is when - and this happens more in the NBA than in college - a shooter goes up for a shot and purposely sticks his leg or whatever into a defender to draw a foul. Kobe does this all the time and Durant did it in the last seconds of Game 2 the other night but didn't draw the foul. The player who initiates contact should be the one who gets the foul called on him. That may how it is written in the rule book but they sure don't call it like that.

Outrider
06-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Yesterday's ump behind the plate in the Yankees-Nationals game has me considering instant replay now. That guy was the worst I've seen in years, and cost the Nats the game.

moewan
06-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Hockey
2. Two line passes. Enough said.
3. The instigator rule, let em throw.

They eliminated the two line pass, the center red line is there for icing the puck only.

guttle11
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Would love to see golf allow you to tap down spike marks. You should not be penalized because someone has happy feet and no sense of etiquette. The rule is also inconsistent. I can fix anyone's ball marks, but if a spike mark is in my way, I have to let it be. Neither fits the point of golf, which is to play the course as it's presented, but one can be fixed and the other cannot. Makes no sense.

guttle11
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Would love to see golf allow you to tap down spike marks. You should not be penalized because someone has happy feet and no sense of etiquette. The rule is also inconsistent. I can fix anyone's ball marks, but if a spike mark is in my way, I have to let it be. Neither fits the point of golf, which is to play the course as it's presented, but one can be fixed and the other cannot. Makes no sense.

IslandRed
06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Why do you need 6 men on the line of scrimmage? What a fundamentally strange and arbitrary rule? If you don't have 6 men on the line (which essentially means that one WR need to pay attention and take one step forward), do you get a five yard penalty and are haunted by the ghost of Woody Hayes?

The rule is seven -- six gets you the penalty. The purpose of the rule (and all the formation stuff) is simple -- it's so the defense can identify the eligible receivers. Seven men on the line, the two men on the outside are eligible and the five inside are not. Of course, you said you wanted to do away with ineligible receivers also...

Yachtzee
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
The rule is seven -- six gets you the penalty. The purpose of the rule (and all the formation stuff) is simple -- it's so the defense can identify the eligible receivers. Seven men on the line, the two men on the outside are eligible and the five inside are not. Of course, you said you wanted to do away with ineligible receivers also...

I think that sport is called rugby.

knuckleballah22
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM

haha yes id love for hockey to go back to clearing benches

dougdirt
06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Offsides in soccer. The sport would be more fun to watch if that were eliminated. Again, if someone wants to cherry pick, let them. Or just guard them.