PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 5/15/2012 Minor League Updates..

texasdave
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Louisville at Rochester just getting underway. Pedro Villareal making his second start in a Bats' uniform. Luke French will go for Rochester. Wonder if that is any relation to the Reds' minor leaguer - Justice French?

texasdave
05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Birmingham visits Pensacola. Game starts in about one hour. Tim Crabbe goes for the Blue Wahoos. He had a nice start last time out until he got a little wild late.

texasdave
05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Almost heaven in Bakersfield tonight as the Blaze host Stockton in a twin bill. Two games on Taco Tuesday. Woohoo!

Game one is in the fourth inning. Stockton leads 1-0. Renken 4IP 6H 1ER 2BB 4K. Bryson Smith with the lone Bakersfield safety. He is now batting .328. Billy Hamilton grounds into a 4-6-3 double play. :eek:

texasdave
05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Dayton has the night off.

dougdirt
05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Dayton is not off tonight. They are losing 2-1 in the 7th.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Denis Phipps left the Louisville game after two ABs. Bats lost 5-4. Rhinehart homered for the second straight night.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
After eight innings in Pensacola, the only runs have come on Josh Fellhauer's pinch-hit HR with PJ Phillips on. Crabbe went seven shutout innings and the surging Curtis Partch turned in one. Joseph is on to try to finish it.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Dayton's customary defeat came tonight by a 2-1 score. McMyne threw another strong two innings. And Lucas O'Rear had this somewhat interesting line: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 4 K.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Juan Duran hit a two-out walkoff HR for Bakersfield. Bryson Smith (2 hits, .331) homered for the other run in a 2-1, 7-inning win, the first game of a doubleheader. Renken went five and Jamie Walczak finished with two scoreless innings. The Blaze were outhit 9-4.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Joseph fanned the side to close out Pensacola's 2-0 win. ERA: 0.45.

mace
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Cingrani is working the second game for Bakersfield.

texasdave
05-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Dayton is not off tonight. They are losing 2-1 in the 7th.

I meant their offense was taking the night off again. :laugh:

Blitz Dorsey
05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Cingrani is working the second game for Bakersfield.

Nice. Since it's only a 7-inninger, I'm thinking complete game here.

mace
05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
The pregame listed Cingrani, but Pat Doyle has actually started for Bakersfield.

Hamilton, hitless in the first game, tripled in the first inning of the second, then scored on a sac fly by Lohman. It's his 7th triple, which is nearly as astonishing as his 35 stolen bases.

Blitz Dorsey
05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Boooo, it's actually Pat Doyle on the mound for the Blaze, not Cingrani. Thanks for getting my hopes up! Ha.

Good news is Bakersfield is up 1-0 thanks to Billy Hamilton's seventh triple of the young season and a base knock from Lohman that brought him in.

mace
05-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Hamilton has now added a bases-loaded double and it's 5-0 Blaze. Lohman drove him in again.

What I don't understand is: if Tucker Barnhart could score from first on Hamilton's hit, how could Hamilton only get to second?

Blitz Dorsey
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Billy is definitely adding some pop. I figured he would. He was a string-bean at 6-1, 160, but word is he's a bit more muscular this year. I love it. He doesn't need to hit HRs, but if he can lace doubles and triples, he's going to be fun to watch. That was his 8th double of the season. Eight doubles and 7 triples already. Wow.

Blitz Dorsey
05-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Hamilton has now added a bases-loaded double and it's 5-0 Blaze. Lohman drove him in again.

What I don't understand is: if Tucker Barnhart could score from first on Hamilton's hit, how could Hamilton only get to second?

Ha, they must have thrown to third and not even tried to get Barnhart at home. Maybe Barnhart was running on the play. Any chance it was a 3-2 count?

mace
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Ha, they must have thrown to third and not even tried to get Barnhart at home. Maybe Barnhart was running on the play. Any chance it was a 3-2 count?

Actually, the play-by-play says that he did go to third on the throw home. But they credited him with a double.

mace
05-16-2012, 12:17 AM
It's Doyle's first start, and he's acting as though he'd like another: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.

mace
05-16-2012, 12:34 AM
5 ip, 1 h, 0 r, 0 bb, 4 k.

Edit: That's odd. I've tried three times, and the capitals aren't working. Must be time to go to bed.

mace
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
FWIW, Bakersfield's opponent, Stockton, is working on a 15-game losing streak.

camisadelgolf
05-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Billy is definitely adding some pop. I figured he would. He was a string-bean at 6-1, 160, but word is he's a bit more muscular this year. I love it. He doesn't need to hit HRs, but if he can lace doubles and triples, he's going to be fun to watch. That was his 8th double of the season. Eight doubles and 7 triples already. Wow.
Are you trying to say Billy Hamilton could be considered athletic? I'm not sure I'm buying it. ;)

dougdirt
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM

When a player doesn't hit for power in the California League, you worry. When someone does hit for some power in the California League, then you wait until they go to another level to see if it is real (assuming they have not shown that kind of power before).

bellhead
05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Doubting Doug!!!

Notorious
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM

I dont think it has anything to do with actual power.... With the speed that billy has, he can turn a normal gapper into a triple easily! And maybe a line drive a little to far for a outfielder to get to he can turn that into a double also!

But im happy to see him slug the ball!

texasdave
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
You just knew Taco Tuesday was gonna pack them in last night in Bakersfield for a twin bill. 377 satisfied paying customers.

dougdirt
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Doubting Doug!!!

I doubt just about anyone in the California League from an offensive standpoint, just like I doubt just about anyone in the Florida State League when it comes to pitching and posting a good ERA. They are like playing in the Mid 90's Coors or pitching in Petco.

mace
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
You just knew Taco Tuesday was gonna pack them in last night in Bakersfield for a twin bill. 377 satisfied paying customers.

And there was the added bonus of seeing Stockton's losing streak stretched to 16 games.

I gotta believe that some of the Ports will soon be exPorts.

texasdave
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
39 years ago today I was just starting my first day of basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas. There is a story here. Well near the end of basic training a bunch of recruits hopped on some buses and took in a minor league baseball game. I am sure it must have been in the old Texas League but don't quote me. They had a promotion during the 7th-inning stretch where they picked a fan to come and stand on the mound and hurl one in at a wooden cutout of a catcher. There was a tiny hole in the glove of the cutout. They just so happened to pick an air force recruit and all the drunken airmen went crazy. This guy gets up on the mound, still holding a precious cup of beer in his other hand, and bullseye. The ball goes through the hole in the mitt with laser-like precision. Pure pandemonium. Everyone got to exchange their ticket for a future game. This didn't help us airmen as we were all soon to be heading elsewhere But it was pretty exciting nonetheless. Another thing I remember from that night is that as we were all leaving there was this one enterprising kid about 10-12 standing at the exit gate asking all of us for our ticket stubs. He had a fistful to be sure. I bet he owns that team now.

texasdave
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
And there was the added bonus of seeing Stockton's losing streak stretched to 16 games.

I gotta believe that some of the Ports will soon be exPorts.

Is that your 'exPort' opinion? :lol:

treetops
05-16-2012, 04:02 PM
I doubt just about anyone in the California League from an offensive standpoint, just like I doubt just about anyone in the Florida State League when it comes to pitching and posting a good ERA. They are like playing in the Mid 90's Coors or pitching in Petco.

Some Cal League offense from yesterday:
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t504&t=g_box&gid=2012_05_15_visafa_hdmafa_1
http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20120516/SPORTS/205160314/Rawhide-flirt-offensive-history
50 hits total, winning pitcher gave up 9 runs, one guy had 7 hits!