PDA

View Full Version : We ready to say Heisey's the 'everyday' LF?

Blitz Dorsey
05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Not that he will literally play every day ... Ludwick is still going to get some starts. But it sure looks to me like young Mr. Heisey is pretty close to locking down that LF job and saying goodbye to a platoon situation.

edabbs44
05-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Why would anyone be ready to say that?

Patrick Bateman
05-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I think it's reasonably safe to say that Heisey has shown enough in the last 2 years to suggest that he is going to be better than he and Ludwick have been so far this year.

I'm not so sure you can say the same about Ludwick... I think he needed to get off to a better start. I'd give Heisey a good chance to run with the gig, mix in Ludwick sparingly.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 10:04 PM
For now, yes. But you know he will look bad for a few games in a row later. I prefer day to day.

Kc61
05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I can see why Heisey is on the ballclub. He has his hot streaks, good pinch hitter, plays all the outfield positions. Glad he's on the 25 man roster.

I wouldn't annoint him the team's starting LF quite yet. My own hope is that the starting left fielder is yet to be acquired.

WebScorpion
05-16-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm ready to say he's the hot hand right now, let's ride him. :dunno: Beyond that, I hope we do a deadline deal for a legit right-handed #4 hitter who can play LF. ;)

fearofpopvol1
05-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Not sure he's an everyday player, but I like him in LF better than I like Ludwick, that's for sure.

mth123
05-16-2012, 02:26 AM
I can see why Heisey is on the ballclub. He has his hot streaks, good pinch hitter, plays all the outfield positions. Glad he's on the 25 man roster.

I wouldn't annoint him the team's starting LF quite yet. My own hope is that the starting left fielder is yet to be acquired.

:thumbup:

membengal
05-16-2012, 06:25 AM

So we should mark you down as still fired up by the awful Ryan Ludwick?

Got it.

DGullett35
05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Heisey is one of the best 4th OF in the game. The problem however is that hes also our best option as of right now for LF. I hope Dusty rides his hot streak but I think Ludwick will still get his chances.

cumberlandreds
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure Heisey has ever been given the chance to start an extended period of time. I hope Dusty puts him in the lineup for a while and just sees what happens. If anything Heisey has proven to be a good PH. He can make a good career from that whether it be with the Reds or other teams.

mdccclxix
05-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Heisey had 2 chances to start every day last year in late July and late September for about 15 games each.

Late July 56 PA - .240/.291/.420/.711
Late Sept 56 PA - .308/.357/.654/1.011

I don't know, he's strong as an ox, probably the best power potential other than Mez, who doesn't play everyday, at this point I think even Dusty might be ready to say screw the platoon and pick a guy for a month and see what happens. I'd like for Phillips to lead off, so putting Heisey or Frazier in the cleanup would be interesting. That is, if Bruce doesn't end up in cleanup sometime.

WildcatFan
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
If there is no deal to be had for a RH cleanup hitter in left (and I just don't know who that person is), I'm ok with Heisey there 75% of the games the rest of the year. I'm ready to cut bait on Ludwick.

My real hope is the RH cleanup hitter can be found at third base, and Heisey becomes a fine 6-hole man.

jhu1321
05-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Yep, ready to say it. Ludwick has shown to be incompetent with the bat, seems to struggle to make contact anymore. With that said, Heisey will be streaky and it won't be too long until he goes into a funk and we will all be calling for his head. Until then, roll on Hi-C. :beerme:

RedEye
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
A thousand times yes. It is his time. Ludwick is clearly not the answer. If Heisey fails in an extended audition this year, I might be more receptive to those who say he is a 4th OF. But the jury is still out IMO.

RichRed
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't love Heisey as the starting LF, but I really don't care to see Ludwick flailing away at the plate any longer.

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't really know if Chris is a "starter" or not, but he's at least young with some upside. Ludwick, however, is nearing the end of his career and is definitely on the downside. I see no reason for Ludwick to be anything but a backup OF'er and pinch-hitter out of desperation at this point. I was never in favor of picking him up in the first place.

Basically put, I think Chris deserves an extended shot at this point. (unless we can snag Choo from the Tribe *grin*)

PuffyPig
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
I like Heisey more than Ludwick too, but two games ago everyone was saying that neither Heisey nor Ludwick was the answer.

Heisey has raised his BA 60 points over two days.

Ludwick could do the same.

It's still early.

dfs
05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Heisey will deserve the left field job when he starts to hit pitches with wiggles in them.

reds44
05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
It would be nice if Heisey got the chance to actually play against lefties. I'd probably hit him leadoff too. He's at least had some success doing it in his career .247/.333/.553/.886 and it doesn't appear Cozart or Stubbs can do it. Either that or bat Hanigan leadoff, but it'll be a cold day in hell before Dusty does that.

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I like Heisey more than Ludwick too, but two games ago everyone was saying that neither Heisey nor Ludwick was the answer.

It's still early.

They've both struggled up to this point. But I'd prefer the younger player and the one with a bigger upside. Neither are tremendous defenders. And neither hit from the side of the dish we're short on. So that leaves me with recent seasons performance and potential. Both favor Chris.

edabbs44
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
So we should mark you down as still fired up by the awful Ryan Ludwick?

Got it.

Still? I'm not sure that I was ever fired up about Ludwick.

edabbs44
05-16-2012, 09:46 PM

It's still early.

www.WhathaveyoudoneformelatelyZone.com

RedsManRick
05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Dusty originally talked about platooning them based on high ball vs. low ball pitchers. Of course, then he goes and plays Heisey against Tim Hudson. I'd just like to see somebody get regular playing time.

edabbs44
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Dusty originally talked about platooning them based on high ball vs. low ball pitchers. Of course, then he goes and plays Heisey against Tim Hudson. I'd just like to see somebody get regular playing time.

It's the same as it has been for the past few years. If someone earns it, they'll get the playing time.

mdccclxix
05-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Today was a good way to get AB's for all 3 LF's Heisey, Ludwick, and Frazier. Meanwhile Bruce got a day off and a go ahead RBI. Good day at the office for Dusty.

Now if he could get Phillips a rest...I think he could use it to refocus. Brandon loves his playing time, maybe he'll get hungry too.

cincrazy
05-16-2012, 10:50 PM

Because his platoon partner is one of the worst hitters in MLB?