PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Hatcher Fired as Angels Hitting Coach

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Interesting. Think it had anything to do with Albert's bad start? Apparently there was an April 30th closed team meeting which Mckey commented on. Albert took issue with him talking about it to the press. Now he's gone. Wonder if it would work that way if Votto took exception to something Jacoby said? I doubt it. Glad Albert is out of the NL and our division.

Team Clark
05-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Very sad to see this happen. I can't imagine Scioscia supporting this privately. I'm sure he'll tow the company line but this is a big move in LA. Hatcher was good enough when his team was good! Would love to see him in Cincy.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Very sad to see this happen. I can't imagine Scioscia supporting this privately. I'm sure he'll tow the company line but this is a big move in LA. Hatcher was good enough when his team was good! Would love to see him in Cincy.
My thoughts exactly, TC. I was shocked when I saw that on MLBN tonight.

Tom Servo
05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
http://cbswysp.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/mickey-hatcher.jpg?w=385

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Brook Jacoby for Mickey Hatcher? Yes, please.

chicoruiz
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I must be alone in this, but I really don't care for Hatcher as a hitting coach...

hebroncougar
05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Honestly, what role does a hitting coach have anymore? How many hitters that aren't rookies listen to them? There are very few teams, if any, that have a "team" approach anymore to hitting.

cumberlandreds
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Honestly, what role does a hitting coach have anymore? How many hitters that aren't rookies listen to them? There are very few teams, if any, that have a "team" approach anymore to hitting.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How much does a hitting coach really help? Except for rookies I doubt very little. Hatcher was just a scapegoat for a really bad Angel beginng of the 2012 season.

traderumor
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Word on the street is that he was fired because Albert took exception to some public comments Hatcher made regarding the content of a private team meeting. Must have been some ownership interests included in that contract of his. :)

alexad
05-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Jacoby needs to go. There has to be someone out there better.

RedsManRick
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I hope Pujols cuts him a check to cover the rest of his year's salary.

marcshoe
05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
They should have replaced him eith Billy Hatcher and given him the same uniform number without telling anyone, just to confuse people.

MikeThierry
05-16-2012, 01:41 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. How much does a hitting coach really help? Except for rookies I doubt very little. Hatcher was just a scapegoat for a really bad Angel beginng of the 2012 season.

I believe a hitting coach can work wonders if they instill a philsophy of hitting rather than just work on pure mechanics. They can bring a point to a hitter that they may not be able to see, even the veterans. I know for the past couple of years, the two hitting coach system the Cards have has worked wonders. This year, Mark McGwire is the overall hitting coach and John Mabry is the assistant. What makes it unique is that Mabry works a lot with the left handed hitters. Last year, Mike Aldretti was the ast. hitting coach but is now the bench coach. Having a coach that specifically can work with left handed hitters seems smart because it's a different approach to hitting than a right handed hitter would experience. While the Cards do have a lot of good hitters, a lot of the younger hitters such as Craig and Jay seem to thrive under McGwire's hitting philosophy. I used to think that hitting coaches weren't that helpful but there is a noticable difference in the hitters approach under McGwire than there was under Hal McCrae.

As far as Hatcher goes, I'm sure Pujols is going to be used as the catalyst as to why he was fired but if you look at the last three or so years, there has been an overall decline in the Angels offensive power. Some of that is due to injuries but it might be something where they need a fresh set of eyes to see what Angels hitters are doing.

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2012, 02:07 PM
They should have replaced him eith Billy Hatcher and given him the same uniform number without telling anyone, just to confuse people.

I'm not sure if people would by the "Mickey got one helluva tan" theory.