PDA

View Full Version : Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

gonelong
05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Big Ten prefers bowl games for playoff sites

CHICAGO (AP) Big Ten officials came out in favor of keeping bowl games as sites for college football's planned playoff on Tuesday, preferring to keep the Rose Bowl as the conference's postseason tradition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-ten-rejects-campus-sites-225519112--ncaaf.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-ten-rejects-campus-sites-225519112--ncaaf.html)

I'm in favor of keeping the Rose bowl in place as well, but I think it is a huge mistake for the Big10 not to be in favor of home field for the first round of a college football playoff. The Big10 historically is traveling South or West and playing somebody else in their own backyard ... a perpetual disadvantage. Home playoffs is a chance to get teams on your own turf and have the advantage. I just don't see why the Big10 woudn't be interested in this.

GL

dabvu2498
05-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm in favor of keeping the Rose bowl in place as well, but I think it is a huge mistake for the Big10 not to be in favor of home field for the first round of a college football playoff. The Big10 historically is traveling South or West and playing somebody else in their own backyard ... a perpetual disadvantage. Home playoffs is a chance to get teams on your own turf and have the advantage. I just don't see why the Big10 woudn't be interested in this.

GL

Because who wants to be in Minneapolis, Detroit or Indianapolis (those games will never be played outdoors in Midwest December/January weather) for fun in the winter time?

Assembly Hall
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Because who wants to be in Minneapolis, Detroit or Indianapolis (those games will never be played outdoors in Midwest December/January weather) for fun in the winter time?

I do!!!!!!!! But you are right.

gonelong
05-16-2012, 06:04 PM

They should be, the NFL makes it happen.

They would sell out, no problem. If your team is of the final 4 playing for a NTL championship, it will sell out at -50 to 150 degrees.

GL

WMR
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
It tells me the B1G leadership is more interested in maximizing dollars than potentially creating a home field advantage for their prospective team in a proposed playoff. That's nothing really against the B1G, every other conference is the same way: the almighty dollar rules all.

dabvu2498
05-16-2012, 07:01 PM
They should be, the NFL makes it happen.

They would sell out, no problem. If your team is of the final 4 playing for a NTL championship, it will sell out at -50 to 150 degrees.

GL

Very few people travel to watch their NFL teams play on the road.

Chip R
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Very few people travel to watch their NFL teams play on the road.

So you think a semi-final game in Ann Arbor with Michigan playing or in Columbus with tOSU playing won't sell out? :confused:

BuckeyeRed27
05-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I would prefer home field sites because it is one of the unique aspects of college football. I think the logistic excuses the AD's have thrown out are total BS. It is all a money grab, but I'm ok with that. I don't think it would as much as an advantage as some people are making it out to be.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I would prefer home field sites because it is one of the unique aspects of college football. I think the logistic excuses the AD's have thrown out are total BS. It is all a money grab, but I'm ok with that. I don't think it would as much as an advantage as some people are making it out to be.

I agree. I think the home field sites would be really cool. And most big time football teams (the teams making the final 4 or whatever they call it) have big stadia to play in and are used to lots of media and hosting big games. And frankly, who the hell cares about whether or the media is comfortable. Let them drive an hour or 2. It's a game for the fans. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

I think games in Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Eugene, Athens, Ann Arbor, Norman, Austin, etc etc would be really cool. Even Cincinnati. They could play at PBS and make it a big whoop dee doo. Every one of those SEC, Big 10, PAC-12, Big 12, etc etc college towns would bend over backwards to make it a great event.

Plus I'd love to see an SEC team play in the midwest winter. I think they'd play great anyhow, but I'd love to see them with parkas on, muddy uniforms, frosty breath. Football like God meant it to be. ;)

Assembly Hall
05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
That article kind of strays from the topic. We are talking a 4 team play-off.

improbus
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I can almost understand some of the Big Ten's thinking:
1) As it stands right now, the SEC would definitely host 1 if not 2 of the home games (which does not help the Big Ten at all since they get a cut of the Rose Bowl check)
2) BCS bowl money is split in the conference. Is tOSU going to share gate money from the 'Shoe with Michigan or Purdue? Probably not. So, the other schools would lose out.
3) The tradition of the Rose Bowl....

But, I don't believe any of those arguments.
1) The Big Ten already plays its bowl games in the south and west, how is that a huge change?
2) Does anyone really worry about Northwestern getting its cut of the Rose Bowl money?
3) The last relevant TRUE Rose Bowl was the 1998 Michigan win for the National Title. After that game, the Rose Bowl was an exhibition. Before that game, the Rose Bowl often held the National Champion. I don't count when the BCS title game is played in the Rose Bowl a week after the actual game.

Chip R
05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
It tells me the B1G leadership is more interested in maximizing dollars than potentially creating a home field advantage for their prospective team in a proposed playoff. That's nothing really against the B1G, every other conference is the same way: the almighty dollar rules all.

They also want to take care of their bowl cronies. To keep the money rolling into their friends so the conference ADs and presidents can go on free vacations.

It's not about cold weather vs. warm weather. Look how poorly the B1G championship game drew last year. They were taking out ads for seat fillers on Craig's List. If that game were played in East Lansing or Madison, you better believe they wouldn't have any trouble selling that game out.

LoganBuck
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
They also want to take care of their bowl cronies. To keep the money rolling into their friends so the conference ADs and presidents can go on free vacations.

It's not about cold weather vs. warm weather. Look how poorly the B1G championship game drew last year. They were taking out ads for seat fillers on Craig's List. If that game were played in East Lansing or Madison, you better believe they wouldn't have any trouble selling that game out.

Gotta remember only two teams in BigTen have fanbases that travel enough, and ate close enough to sell out Lucas Oil Stadium, Ohio State and Michigan. How many people drive from Lincoln or Happy Valley to watch a football game?

Assembly Hall
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Gotta remember only two teams in BigTen have fanbases that travel enough, and ate close enough to sell out Lucas Oil Stadium, Ohio State and Michigan. How many people drive from Lincoln or Happy Valley to watch a football game?

I think all the Big Ten teams travel well..........to warmer weather!!!!!:lol:

dabvu2498
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
So you think a semi-final game in Ann Arbor with Michigan playing or in Columbus with tOSU playing won't sell out? :confused:

1. These games are going to be played at neutral sites.

2. It would be a PR nightmare for the BCS/NCAA or whoever ends up running a playoff of 20-30,000 fans from the South or West missed the game because of a blizzard after spending boo-coo bucks on tickets, hotel, etc.

Everyone seems critical of the NFL for wanting to play the Super Bowl in NYC. This is the same idea.

Chip R
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM

2. It would be a PR nightmare for the BCS/NCAA or whoever ends up running a playoff of 20-30,000 fans from the South or West missed the game because of a blizzard after spending boo-coo bucks on tickets, hotel, etc.

Everyone seems critical of the NFL for wanting to play the Super Bowl in NYC. This is the same idea.

These things happen. More often than not the games will be played in weather that is cold but there aren't usually a lot of blizzards. How many NFL late season and playoff games have been adversely affected by blizzards. And it wouldn't be a PR nightmare either.

But why have them at neutral sites in the first place? The championship game, I can see but the semi-finals? If the SEC teams are so darn good then they will host the semi-finals and the point will be moot.

Assembly Hall
05-17-2012, 12:50 PM

I am with ya dabvu. When it comes to that particular time of year and bringing in a bunch of people, it is best served to have a venue that has nice weather. Who wants to be cooped up in an hotel room with 2 foot of snow waiting for the "big game" to start. Not me, I want to be wearing sandals and sunglasses sucking down an adult beverage and walking the streets.:beerme:

Chip R
05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Well, that's certainly not true. Nebraska and Iowa may not be terribly close to Indy but I bet if they are involved in a semi-final game or a conference championship game played there, they will bring a whole lot of people.

If you look into the bowl situation a little deeper you will find that the schools get these tickets but can't sell them all because they are too expensive. It's a huge scam and I don't expect it to change.

Assembly Hall
05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, that's certainly not true. Nebraska and Iowa may not be terribly close to Indy but I bet if they are involved in a semi-final game or a conference championship game played there, they will bring a whole lot of people.

If you look into the bowl situation a little deeper you will find that the schools get these tickets but can't sell them all because they are too expensive. It's a huge scam and I don't expect it to change.

The Big Ten schools all travel well. Not only that, but each school has alumni in rival regions. But when it comes winter we look for palm trees!!!!!! Except me, I like to ice fish!!!!!!!!!!

Chip R
05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
The Big Ten schools all travel well. Not only that, but each school has alumni in rival regions. But when it comes winter we look for palm trees!!!!!! Except me, I like to ice fish!!!!!!!!!!

But there's never been an alternative.

dabvu2498
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
But why have them at neutral sites in the first place? The championship game, I can see but the semi-finals? If the SEC teams are so darn good then they will host the semi-finals and the point will be moot.

So fans of both teams have an equal opportunity to get tickets?

And nothing is going to change the fact that the South/West > Midwest/Northeast for visitors in December and January.

Chip R
05-17-2012, 03:34 PM
So fans of both teams have an equal opportunity to get tickets?

And nothing is going to change the fact that the South/West > Midwest/Northeast for visitors in December and January.

Sure it is. But ostensibly this is for a championship, not a bowl game. If they want to play all these games on neutral warm weather/domed sites, just forget about the championship and stick with the bowls. tOSU fans may whine a lot but they do have a point when they say that it would be interesting to see what these SEC teams would do if they had to play in sub-30 degree weather or in a snowstorm.

Sea Ray
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I think they should hold all these play in games at SEC venues :evil:

Sea Ray
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
The Big 10 commish is being criticized in the south too:

I guess Jim Delany just canít help himself.

Itís not enough that Delany continues to blurt out ideas for a college football playoff, each one geared to benefit the Big Ten. Canít blame the guy for that. Heís trying to protect and promote the conference of which he is commissioner.

In the process, though, Delany keeps taking swipes at a certain team from a certain conference that won a certain championship last season.

Delany recently referred to Alabama as ďthat teamĒ in an interview with the Associated Press. And the reference was not in a favorable vein

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120514/COLUMNIST0202/305140008/David-Climer-Big-Ten-commish-needs-get-over-SEC-obsession?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports Tennessee Volunteers

dabvu2498
05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Sure it is. But ostensibly this is for a championship, not a bowl game. If they want to play all these games on neutral warm weather/domed sites, just forget about the championship and stick with the bowls. tOSU fans may whine a lot but they do have a point when they say that it would be interesting to see what these SEC teams would do if they had to play in sub-30 degree weather or in a snowstorm.

Shouldn't the biggest games of the year be played at neutral sites and under as neutral conditions as possible? It's what the NCAA basketball tourney aspires to.

I wouldn't have a problem with them wanting to play one of these "tournament" games in a northern dome, but it's not a very attractive option from a money standpoint.

Chip R
05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't the biggest games of the year be played at neutral sites and under as neutral conditions as possible? It's what the NCAA basketball tourney aspires to.

I wouldn't have a problem with them wanting to play one of these "tournament" games in a northern dome, but it's not a very attractive option from a money standpoint.

The NFL doesn't and it works out pretty well for them. All the other football divisions that have playoffs have all but the championship games on campus sites and it seems to work out too.

Of course it isn't attractive from a money standpoint. The people who run the bowl games won't be able to fleece the people buying tickets for those games.

dabvu2498
05-17-2012, 05:49 PM
The NFL doesn't and it works out pretty well for them. All the other football divisions that have playoffs have all but the championship games on campus sites and it seems to work out too.

Of course it isn't attractive from a money standpoint. The people who run the bowl games won't be able to fleece the people buying tickets for those games.

And yet, the NFL plays its' championship game at a neutral site, usually in a warm-weather city and always either in warm-weather or in a dome (until NYC).

As an aside, the first Super Bowl played in Detroit dealt with lots of issues with weather related transportation issues. So much so that Detroit didn't get another Super Bowl for 24 years. People who were in Atlanta for the Super Bowl that coincided with an ice storm a few years ago had all kinds of issues getting around town, finding restaurants that had closed because of the weather, etc, etc.

Yes, I get it. Bowl games are evil. But let's not forget that if people weren't willing to pay $$$, the bowls wouldn't charge it. Heck, if you look on stubhub for the big bowl games, it makes you wonder why the bowls don't charge more, based on what some people are willing to pay for tickets.

gonelong
05-17-2012, 05:57 PM
And yet, the NFL plays its' championship game at a neutral site, usually in a warm-weather city and always either in warm-weather or in a dome (until NYC).

Play the championship game at a neutral site. Play the semi-final games at the higher ranked school's home field.

GL

Assembly Hall
05-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Play the championship game at a neutral site. Play the semi-final games at the higher ranked school's home field.

GL

The plan is to have four teams in it. Semi-final games at the higher ranked team's home field? I guess it could work. But incorporating the bowls seems to be a logical answer that is already in place. However I feel that if a semi-final game pitted Michigan vs. LSU, that game shouldnt be played in New Orleans. Or Ohio State vs. USC shouldnt be played in Pasadena. You are starting to sway me GL!!!!!!!!!!!;)

RiverRat13
05-17-2012, 07:18 PM

GL

This. It helps preserve the integrity of the regular season. And I think unless the semi-final is the Sugar Bowl with an SEC team or the Rose Bowl with a Pac-10 team, you're going to see a lot of empty seats. Fans are simply going to wait until the Championship Game to spend that kind of money. Very few are going to do it two weeks in a row.

The bowls were designed to be exhibitions in warm weather cities to attract northern fans to spend a week to escape the cold. That's why for decades the AP voted on a national champion BEFORE the bowl games. The bowl games were never designed to determine who was the best team. If they were, they wouldn't be held 4-6 weeks after the regular season. There's really no reason to include the bowls when determining a champion.

Delaney was calling for the higher seed to host the semi-final and now he's not. I think it is because he is using it as leverage to have conference winners in the top 6 automatically be included, something other commissioners are against.

Sea Ray
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM

I think it all comes down to money. If they can sellout neutral sites then that's what they can and should do. But that might be tricky. Giving home field to the higher seed is a guaranteed sellout

improbus
05-18-2012, 08:22 PM
This may sound crazy, but if you want the playoff done right you need the NCAA to get involved. As it is now, you have multiple interests (Bowl delegates, Conference Commissioners, AD's, School Presidents, TV Networks, etc...) trying to come to an agreement. The NCAA has little to nothing to do with the actual BCS, but they are the ones who could actually organize and run something fairly equitable (like the NCAA tournament).

Here is my "Shangri-La" proposal that everyone will hate because it destroys all the current conferences (which they are doing anyway...):
Make 4 Regions with two "Conferences" in each region with ten teams each.
North - (Mostly Big Ten/Big East/a few ACC schools)
South - (SEC + ACC-ish)
Central - (Big 10 - Big 12ish- SEC)
West (PAC 10ish/Big 12)

If you need, you can fill in some of the other schools like Notre Dame, the service academies, BYU, etc...

So, that makes 80 teams in these leagues. Then, you play Regional Championships between the two conferences in each region. Next, the South plays the North champs and the West plays the Central champs. The two teams that are left meet.

As for the argument that someone outside those 80 teams could be great, how about this wrinkle? The worst team in the 8 conferences gets relegated to the "Independents" and the best 8 "Independents" come up into the conferences the next season in the region closest to their school.

improbus
05-19-2012, 05:54 PM
What exactly are the SEC and Big 12 doing? Are they trying to create a de facto National Semifinal? Are they trying to kill the ACC?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7946916/college-football-big-12-sec-bowl-death-knell-acc

If you want to get confused, look at the names in the different conferences. Seeing Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC is just weird.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams

Sea Ray
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
What exactly are the SEC and Big 12 doing? Are they trying to create a de facto National Semifinal? Are they trying to kill the ACC?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7946916/college-football-big-12-sec-bowl-death-knell-acc

If you want to get confused, look at the names in the different conferences. Seeing Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC is just weird.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams

Too many questions, not enough answers. I think the bigger question is what does this do to Notre Dame? If it forces them to join a conference, the ripple effect is more than what happens to the ACC teams. I also think it affects the Big Ten as the SEC is its primary rival during Bowl season. They're guaranteed two New Years Day Bowls vs SEC teams right now and they are not assured of a PAC 12 matchup in the Rose Bowl anymore.

I think it's pointless to speculate until more happens. There's just too many possibilities. The next big announcement may come in July regarding the playoff system

improbus
05-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Too many questions, not enough answers. I think the bigger question is what does this do to Notre Dame? If it forces them to join a conference, the ripple effect is more than what happens to the ACC teams. I also think it affects the Big Ten as the SEC is its primary rival during Bowl season. They're guaranteed two New Years Day Bowls vs SEC teams right now and they are not assured of a PAC 12 matchup in the Rose Bowl anymore.

I think it's pointless to speculate until more happens. There's just too many possibilities. The next big announcement may come in July regarding the playoff system
My question is, how does this game fit into the new playoff? It makes me think that there will be direct conference affiliations in the new system, because what would be the purpose of creating this specific bowl game if the new playoff system would render it almost useless. Whatever the playoff format, this game would certainly contain at least on if not two of the potential playoff teams and would be in danger of being rendered meaningless if that (or those) teams were pulled out and put into the playoff. The timing of this is just very strange. It makes me think that people already know what is going to happen.

improbus
05-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Just for fun (and because I was bored) here are my eight conferences.
East Coast
Boston College
Maryland
Navy
Penn State
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Uconn
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Midwest
Cincinnati
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan St
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Ohio St
Purdue
Wisconsin
WVU
Atlantic
UNC
Clemson
Florida
Florida
FSU
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
South Florida
South
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Kentucky
Lousiville
LSU
Mississippi St.
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vandy
Southwest
A&M
Baylor
Houston
Nevada
New Mexico
T. Tech
TCU
Texas
Tulsa
UNLV
Great Plains
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa St.
K. State
Kansas
Memphis
Missouri
Nebraska
OK State
Oklahoma
Pacific
Arizona
Arizona St.
Cal
Fresno St.
Hawaii
Nevada
San Diego St.
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Northwest
Air Force
Boise St
BYU
Colorado
Colorado St.
Oregon
Oregon St
Utah
Washington
Washington St.

IslandRed
05-19-2012, 10:55 PM
My question is, how does this game fit into the new playoff?

To my understanding, it doesn't. It will simply host the top SEC and Big 12 teams that don't make the playoff, similar to how the Rose Bowl has been handled lately. In that respect, one could ask what's the big deal. But the devil in the details is what's making the college football people take notice.

* It appears that far from being mortal enemies over Texas A&M and Missouri, the two leagues are now joining at the hip. One could presume this is because the SEC needs a strong ally to offset the B1G/Pac pairing and the Big 12 needs a strong ally to ensure survival. Either way, the viability of the Big 12 no longer appears to be in question, at least in the short run.

* It signals a shift in conferences' attitudes toward bowl games. This game is not going to be like the others. The leagues will run it, sell it and keep far more of the money generated from it. The host will merely be the venue. This could become the norm faster than you'd think, especially when the BCS contract expires.

* One could extrapolate (and most analysts are) that the SEC, B1G, Pac and Big 12 are consolidating power, and the yet-to-be-decided terms of the playoff -- who gets to be in it, how the money is split up -- are going to be to their liking. Four team playoff... four major conferences... hmmm. Which is bad news for every other conference, and ACC schools in particular are about to find themselves on the wrong side of the power line. They'll technically have access to the playoff as will other schools, just to deter antitrust concerns, but if they're left in the dust in the future with respect to revenue and bowl tie-ins etc., it will be extremely difficult to build and sustain a championship-level program. So the ACC's football-first schools have to seriously ask themselves if they can afford not to switch conferences given the opportunity.

It makes me think that people already know what is going to happen.

I'd be surprised at this point if they don't, but I'm not an insider so I'm like most people, just reading tea leaves here.

Assembly Hall
05-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Interesting stuff there IslandRed. I think Notre Dame will be a big player in all of this. Up until the Florida State rumors started swirling, I would have thought the Big 12 was the conference that possibly could get squeezed out. The Big East is already irrelevant. I would agree that when the dust settles that there will be 4 power football conferences. And that those conferences will expand to 16 teams. Whatever happens it will be interesting to say the least.

Sea Ray
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Interesting stuff there IslandRed. I think Notre Dame will be a big player in all of this. Up until the Florida State rumors started swirling, I would have thought the Big 12 was the conference that possibly could get squeezed out. The Big East is already irrelevant. I would agree that when the dust settles that there will be 4 power football conferences. And that those conferences will expand to 16 teams. Whatever happens it will be interesting to say the least.

Notre Dame is the big pillar I'm watching. I would be vehemently against them giving ND a free pass and continue to allow them access to this playoff system while allowing them to bathe in the spoils of an NBC contract all by themselves

Assembly Hall
05-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Notre Dame is the big pillar I'm watching. I would be vehemently against them giving ND a free pass and continue to allow them access to this playoff system while allowing them to bathe in the spoils of an NBC contract all by themselves

I hear ya. I really feel that if we have 4 power conferences in football with 16 teams each, Notre Dame will have no choice but to join one of them. But we shall see.

Chip R
05-20-2012, 01:14 PM

If they are still an independent, it's tough to see how they fit into a 4 team playoff. They would pretty much have to be undefeated to qualify.

I think that Assembly Hall has a point about ND being forced to join a conference. To further the point, this could be a move by the other conferences to freeze ND out until they join a conference.

The question is which conference would they join? B1G is a natural fit but they could join the Big East in football and make the Big East a player.

Sea Ray
05-20-2012, 01:46 PM
If they are still an independent, it's tough to see how they fit into a 4 team playoff. They would pretty much have to be undefeated to qualify.

I think that Assembly Hall has a point about ND being forced to join a conference. To further the point, this could be a move by the other conferences to freeze ND out until they join a conference.

The question is which conference would they join? B1G is a natural fit but they could join the Big East in football and make the Big East a player.

How could they qualify if they're undefeated? Either they're part of the 4 conferences or they're given an exemption like they are now. If they're given an exemption then I don't care what their record is. I'm against it.

Chip R
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
How could they qualify if they're undefeated? Either they're part of the 4 conferences or they're given an exemption like they are now. If they're given an exemption then I don't care what their record is. I'm against it.

No one knows how this playoff is going to be set up. If they take the top 4 in the BCS poll and ND is ranked 1-4 they go. If they go with champions from the top 4 conferences, ND gets frozen out no matter how good they are.

Assembly Hall
05-20-2012, 02:23 PM
The Big East is done. The ACC very well might be on the phone with the Irish, I would be. But the idea of power conferences does open up the idea of independents like there were back in the 70's and through the 80's, if a football school was only interested in football. Schools like ND, Fla St., Miami, BYU, and even Texas could mold their own niche.

Sea Ray
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
No one knows how this playoff is going to be set up. If they take the top 4 in the BCS poll and ND is ranked 1-4 they go. If they go with champions from the top 4 conferences, ND gets frozen out no matter how good they are.

If they take the top 4 regardless of conference affiliation then who needs conferences? I thought the whole tone of this thread was that conferences want some power in all of this.

Chip R
05-21-2012, 01:07 AM
If they take the top 4 regardless of conference affiliation then who needs conferences?

You have to have someone to play 8-9 times a year. This isn't the NFL where everybody plays everybody. USC is gonna want to play UCLA and Bama's gonna want to play Auburn and Ohio State is gonna want to play Michigan and so on and so on.

Sea Ray
05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
You have to have someone to play 8-9 times a year. This isn't the NFL where everybody plays everybody. USC is gonna want to play UCLA and Bama's gonna want to play Auburn and Ohio State is gonna want to play Michigan and so on and so on.

I understand that but why a megaconference? My guess is they wouldn't be flirting with megaconferences if conference affiliation had nothing to do with picking teams for a playoff

IslandRed
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
If they take the top 4 regardless of conference affiliation then who needs conferences?

Same reasons they have conferences now, I suppose.

Sea Ray
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Same reasons they have conferences now, I suppose.

But we don't have four megaconferences now. Do you see a need for a shift to megaconferences from what we have now if it'll have no impact on the BCS? We're already seeing some of these effects. Boise St originally agreed to join the Big East, most likely because of its BCS tie in. Now they're hearing that the Big East won't be a part of this new playoff system so they may pull out of their agreed upon deal to join the Big East

IslandRed
05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
But we don't have four megaconferences now. Do you see a need for a shift to megaconferences from what we have now if it'll have no impact on the BCS? We're already seeing some of these effects. Boise St originally agreed to join the Big East, most likely because of its BCS tie in. Now they're hearing that the Big East won't be a part of this new playoff system so they may pull out of their agreed upon deal to join the Big East

If you mean 16 teams when you say megaconference, no, I don't think that's where all four leagues are going, at least in the short run. The four top leagues having 12+ teams including pretty much everyone who fancies themselves a football power, yes.

Sea Ray
05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
If you mean 16 teams when you say megaconference, no, I don't think that's where all four leagues are going, at least in the short run. The four top leagues having 12+ teams including pretty much everyone who fancies themselves a football power, yes.

I agree and so does this author:

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/5/21/3033537/conference-realignment-16-team-conferences-playoffs-bowls

Too complicated basically explains why it ain't happenin' anytime soon

Assembly Hall
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree and so does this author:

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/5/21/3033537/conference-realignment-16-team-conferences-playoffs-bowls

Too complicated basically explains why it ain't happenin' anytime soon

I dont know if he explained it was a personal opinion. But it will not happen over night due to a lot reasons that he didnt touch on. But one that I think he was dead on about was that these conferences are looking for tv markets rather than tradition. It was the reason the B1G was looking at Rutgers, they were interested in that NYC metro tv market.