flyer85
05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
interesting.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-radio-20-11/

18. Cincinnati Reds
Broadcasters: Marty Brennaman and Jeff Brantley
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.7, 3.3, 3.6

Three Reader Comments
• “I’m not sure which is worse: when Marty ignores the action on the field to talk about his golf game or dinner plans, or when the game occasionally attracts his attention and he treats us to withering criticism of players regardless of context or basic human compassion.”
• “Marty Brennaman… views the proceedings through exactly the same prism he did in the 1970s. If he were a doctor, he’d still be using leeches. Still, his old school approach would be fine if he weren’t such an angry man.”
• “Brantley is most adept at analyzing a plate of BBQ ribs and a bowl of ice cream (as listeners know come up way too often), but he’s also pretty good at analyzing baseball, especially pitchers.”

Notes
The uniformity of the comments regarding Brennaman and Brantley is notable. Most respondents regard Brennaman’s play-by-skills — both in terms of his voice and also capacity for narrating play — as impressive, but note that he is not necessarily at peace with the world and the people in it. Brantley appears to be playful in the way a dad is playful — in that he’s endearing but likely to embarrass you in public.

MikeThierry
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
This whole thing is a bit goofy on how they rate them. There is no way the Cardinals broadcast with Danny Mac and Al "I dominate the broadcast with innane stories from the past that don't matter anymore" Hrabosky should be anywhere near the top ten (assuming that it is because I'm not seeing on the list 11-30). I would take the Cincy broadcast over them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Also, to rate the Yankees broadcast team last seems to me to show a bit of biased on the site. There's no way they are the worst broadcasting team in the bigs.

EDIT: gahh... I just noticed that it was the radio broadcasting rankings. Forget my rant, lol. I still think the Yankees are ranked too low though. I was happy to see that in the TV broadcasting rankings, they list the Cards very low. Well deserved in my opinion.

Reds Fanatic
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
The same site earlier had TV rankings:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-20-11/

Here is what they had to say about the Reds Tv:

18. Cincinnati Reds
Broadcasters: Thom Brennaman and Chris Welsh
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.1, 3.2, 3.1

Three Reader Comments
• “For breaking down the game, that’s about a 4.5 for Welsh, who is quite good, and a 2 for Thom, who is talented at announcing but too thinly spread to have a strong grasp of the game.”
• “Brennaman : Baseball :: Not Washing Your Hands : Bathroom Etiquette.”
• “Unctuous, repulsively insincere and condescending: Thom Brennaman’s black heart routinely bleeds the life out of the game we love…. Chris Welsh isn’t so bad. He tries to understand the new numbers, but discussing them with Brennaman is like talking about the theory of relativity with a soap dish.”

Notes
Many of the reader comments confirm the one thing that those of us outside the Cincinnati market suspect about Thom Brennaman — namely, that he is very polished and, because of that, can appear disingenuous. Also, that one reader up there says his heart is black — which, that probably warrants medical attention.

blumj
05-17-2012, 01:21 PM
This whole thing is a bit goofy on how they rate them. There is no way the Cardinals broadcast with Danny Mac and Al "I dominate the broadcast with innane stories from the past that don't matter anymore" Hrabosky should be anywhere near the top ten (assuming that it is because I'm not seeing on the list 11-30). I would take the Cincy broadcast over them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Also, to rate the Yankees broadcast team last seems to me to show a bit of biased on the site. There's no way they are the worst broadcasting team in the bigs.

EDIT: gahh... I just noticed that it was the radio broadcasting rankings. Forget my rant, lol. I still think the Yankees are ranked too low though. I was happy to see that in the TV broadcasting rankings, they list the Cards very low. Well deserved in my opinion.
I couldn't disagree more about the Yankees radio broadcasters, I'd have been absolutely stunned if they'd managed to find a worse team. Yankee fans get some sympathy from me for having to listen to that while stuck in NY rush hour traffic.

MikeThierry
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
I couldn't disagree more about the Yankees radio broadcasters, I'd have been absolutely stunned if they'd managed to find a worse team. Yankee fans get some sympathy from me for having to listen to that while stuck in NY rush hour traffic.

It might be the equivalent of the Cardinals TV broadcast, lol

Reds Freak
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
• “I’m not sure which is worse: when Marty ignores the action on the field to talk about his golf game or dinner plans, or when the game occasionally attracts his attention and he treats us to withering criticism of players regardless of context or basic human compassion.”

Baseball is a game that requires radio announcers to inject stories and playful banter. Some of my fondest memories of listening to Marty and Joe on the radio as a kid were when the two of them went back and forth about tomatoes, Elvis, etc. I like that banter and think it makes the broadcast interesting. In a 162-game season, you can't expect the broadcasters to describe every pitch with intense detail..