PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood announcing retirement today

GoReds
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/kerry-wood-is-retiring/

Kerry Wood has struggled since returning from a disabled list stint two weeks ago, allowing five runs in six innings following a month off because of a shoulder injury, and now the one-time phenom turned quality setup man has decided to call it a career at age 34.

Wow. Very sad to see such a promising career turn out the way it did.

Sea Ray
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
It is sad but not surprising. Best of luck to him

westofyou
05-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I can still see him in that game he k'd 20 guys, seems like yesterday... Instead of 14/15 years

Chip R
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I saw him pitch in Des Moines right before he was called up. Pretty dominant. I think he pitched around 7 innings and, IIRC, 1 ball was hit out of the infield and that was just behind second.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I can still see him in that game he k'd 20 guys, seems like yesterday... Instead of 14/15 years

I had called out sick from work that day. Just happened to see the game was on TV and watched it. Glad I called out sick. It was one of the most dominant pitching performances I had ever seen.

UKFlounder
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
You stole my story :lol: I was going to post about missing work due to illness and flipping the channel and sayinig "hey, a baseball game. I'll watch this."

Amazing how memory has remained with me (us?) so long.

I had called out sick from work that day. Just happened to see the game was on TV and watched it. Glad I called out sick. It was one of the most dominant pitching performances I had ever seen.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Yep, I remember that game quite well. I was 11 years old at the time. I remember that NASTY hook he threw to Derek Bell for what was the 20th strike out I believe.

Tom Servo
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I was 8 and didn't watch the game live, but I remember seeing the highlights the next morning on SportsCenter. Really felt like he was going to be dominate for years to come.

Vottomatic
05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
It's too bad Dusty ruined his arm. ;)

JUST KIDDING.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
You stole my story :lol: I was going to post about missing work due to illness and flipping the channel and sayinig "hey, a baseball game. I'll watch this."

Amazing how memory has remained with me (us?) so long.

I guess that was Stay Home from Work Day. ;) I know I wasn't really sick and just felt like staying home that day. I'm sure I watched it on WGN and I don't know if Harry Caray was still around or not. Wood pronounced backward is Doow......

KronoRed
05-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I saw the last 4 or 5 innings of that game, he was a machine, just annihilating them.

14 years in MLB isn't bad.

CTA513
05-18-2012, 04:53 PM
He came in to face Viciedo with 1 out in the 8th and struck him out on 3 pitches for his last appearance.

VR
05-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I saw him pitch in Des Moines right before he was called up. Pretty dominant. I think he pitched around 7 innings and, IIRC, 1 ball was hit out of the infield and that was just behind second.

Sounds like just some luck babip to me. :)

Edskin
05-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I purchased MLB Extra Innings in 1999 and I have had it every year since. So 1998 was the last year where I was completely dependent on straight cable to watch baseball games. Of course that meant a lot of Cubs games on WGN. Reds were terrible in 98, so my overall interest waned, but for some reason a couple of buddies and myself were watching the game that day from our off-campus apartment my sophomore year at OU. A very typical, very lazy afternoon sitting around not doing much of anything.

It became clear fairly quickly that Wood had a special outing going that day and by the late innings we were all really glued. I have never seen a ball move like that. Never. I remember that day vividly and that's what I will always think of when I hear mention of Kerry Wood.

05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
He went out with a flourish, striking out his final batter. He walked off the mound to a standing ovation, and his young son ran out of the dugout and gave him a big hug before he reached it.

Very classy send off. :beerme:

gilpdawg
05-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks OBM and Tom Servo for making me feel old. (that game was on my 20th birthday)

I was thinking today where Wood's 20K game stands in the list of best pitched games ever. Only one hit, an infield hit, so with a little more luck he could have thrown a no hitter with 20 strikeouts, which is sick.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2012, 08:05 AM
He went out with a flourish, striking out his final batter. He walked off the mound to a standing ovation, and his young son ran out of the dugout and gave him a big hug before he reached it.

Very classy send off. :beerme:

Very classy. The Cubs did this one right. I enjoyed watching that on the highlights Friday evening.

puca
05-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks OBM and Tom Servo for making me feel old. (that game was on my 20th birthday)

I was thinking today where Wood's 20K game stands in the list of best pitched games ever. Only one hit, an infield hit, so with a little more luck he could have thrown a no hitter with 20 strikeouts, which is sick.

It is right at the top in my opinion. When you watched him back then you wondered how anyone could ever get a hit off of him. I've always liked Kerry Wood and am glad to see him go out on his own terms.

Sea Ray
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
According to this site the Reds were close to signing him. Good thing that didn't happen...

Before re-signing with the Cubs, Kerry Wood agreed to a deal with another club and was preparing for his physical when the Cubs swooped in according to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Levine hears that the Reds were most interested in Wood before he re-signed with Chicago, but it's unclear if they're the team he had the agreement with.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/kerry_wood/

powersackers
05-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Must see if you missed it.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=chc&content_id=21544807&topic_id=11493214