PDA

View Full Version : Chapman being sued for $18M

Chip R
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/05/18/report-aroldis-chapman-being-sued/

Dan
05-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm calling gross exaggeration based on little or no evidence.

"...To this day, I’m convinced that Chapman was working with State Security. It’s known that he had a meeting with Raul Castro. My husband isn’t the only one imprisoned because of Chapman. He was the principal witness in the case, and his statement was full of lies. That’s the only way they’d let him return to the Cuban team.”

Being convinced of something is not evidence that anything of the sort actually occurred. Certainly not when it comes to the court system. Chapman's millions make him an easy mark, though.

Screwball
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I like one of the comments at the bottom:

When reporters asked Ozzie Guillen about this he said "I friggen love Aroldis Chapman!"

dougdirt
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I am just completely unsure how you would go about proving any of this. It isn't like Cuba is going to cooperate.

camisadelgolf
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
It sounds to me like someone thinks Aroldis Chapman might be guilty of something, and the only way to get compensated for it is to sue him and hope it's a winning lottery ticket.

reds1869
05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
The chances of this getting very far are pretty low. Though the rules for evidence in civil cases are somewhat looser than for criminal cases, there does still need to be something approximating proof. I was wrongfully sued in civil court once with the same kind of "evidence" being brought forth; the judge basically laughed the plaintiff out of the courtroom (and we won damages in a countersuit...long unpleasant story for another time).

The Operator
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay, I may be missing something here. But it sounds like this all occurred in Cuba. How exactly can you file a lawsuit against someone over something that happened in a different country? Especially one that's completely uncooperative with the US?

wolfboy
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Okay, I may be missing something here. But it sounds like this all occurred in Cuba. How exactly can you file a lawsuit against someone over something that happened in a different country? Especially one that's completely uncooperative with the US?

Possibly the Torture Victim Protection Act?

dougdirt
05-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Would that apply to a witness in a case, rather than the people actually torturing the person?

wolfboy
05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Would that apply to a witness in a case, rather than the people actually torturing the person?

Honestly, I don't know. I've heard of the Alien Tort Claims Act as well as the Torture Victim Protection Act, but I have no experience with them. If they allege that he was complicit in the torture, maybe it would apply? As is always the case though, it only takes a few hundred bucks to file a lawsuit.

paulrichjr
05-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Does this have anything to do with the mystery distraction from 2011?

Phhhl
05-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I like one of the comments at the bottom:

Ozzie better be careful about endorsing those Reds.

kaldaniels
05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
What exactly is he accused of doing? In simple terms for a simple man please.

Sea Ray
05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
This sure looks like a money grab to me. Since when do US police arrest people when Raul Castro asks them to? Unfortunately this is a case where Aroldis is learning a lesson in $$. If you have it you are a target for these sorts of scams. Let's hope he gets good representation and fights it tooth and nail. Spend some of your money on Lawyers, Aloldis. I know it sucks but that's the price you pay...

Redsfan320
05-20-2012, 07:16 PM
What exactly is he accused of doing? In simple terms for a simple man please.

Kal, it seems that he's being accused of giving information to the Cuban government that resulted in the arrest of a man, then delivering false testimony at the man's trial which played a large part in his eventual incarceration. The man's wife is the one filing the suit. At least this is how I understand it. I could be wrong.

I know we have at least one lawyer here (Kc61, maybe?) that could possibly shed some light on this.

bellhead
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
If it happened in Cuba, then the accuser may need to file suit there;)

GAC
05-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Can I sue Bailey then? Because it sure feels like I'm being tortured watching him pitch at times. :p

wolfboy
05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I just read through the complaint against Chapman. My initial hunch was correct: the lawsuit is being brought under the Alien Tort Claims Act and the Torture Victim Protection Act. In a nutshell, the lawsuit alleges that Chapman and his father gave false testimony in the trial of Curbelo Garcia for human trafficking. As a result, Garcia is now in jail for a 10 year sentence where he is exposed to terrible conditions, etc...