PDA

View Full Version : OBP is overrated

Vottomatic
05-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Not in my book. It's very important. The Reds continue to struggle to get on base.

Currently 27th in mlb in OBP: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Overall&cut_type=0&conference=MLB&year=season_2012&sort=723

Team--------AVG---R---H---HR---SB---OBP---SLG
Cardinals---.281---212---386---53---31---.348---.467
Reds-------.237---144---305---33---15---.299---.387

Yeah, I know. It's early. :rolleyes:

I can't believe the Reds have not even half as many stolen bases as the Cards.

Vottomatic
05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
So I run up the street to the bank and turn on WLW and Lance is interviewing some national baseball analyst who is talking about the Reds lineup and how Dusty is so enamored with speed, but the Reds don't have enough people getting on base in front of Votto and Bruce. :laugh:

The guy says Phillips should not be batting 4th and should be leadoff. Also said Hanigan, because of his high OBP and ability to make contact should bat 2nd or 4th.

Dude knows what he is talking about.

He also said Dusty should bat any of the power guys in the 4-hole who have good stats against the pitcher pitching that day. Rotate them in and out. Can't say I disagree.

dougdirt
05-19-2012, 01:00 PM
He also said Dusty should bat any of the power guys in the 4-hole who have good stats against the pitcher pitching that day. Rotate them in and out. Can't say I disagree.

I disagree, because guys who 'have good stats against this pitcher' is usually under 20 at bats, meaning those stats don't mean a whole lot. Bat Bruce 4th and just don't touch the line up card in the 3 and 4 spots for a few years.

Vottomatic
05-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I disagree, because guys who 'have good stats against this pitcher' is usually under 20 at bats, meaning those stats don't mean a whole lot. Bat Bruce 4th and just don't touch the line up card in the 3 and 4 spots for a few years.

I should have explained his comments further. He first said that if Dusty is deadset on splitting up the lefties and batting Bruce 5th, that he should then rotate the cleanup spot with the best potential bat that day instead of batting BP 4th.

I actually want Bruce batting cleanup, like you do.