PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/20

chicoruiz
05-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Reds:

Adam Rosales (29) -He's the kind of hustling player I root for, but in all honesty I'm just as glad to be rooting for him as an Oakland A.

Austin Kearns (32) -First Red to homer at GAB. It's looking like that might be the highlight of his career.

Wilson Valdez (34) -On May 25 of last year, Wilson became the first player since 1921 to start a game in the field and end up as the winning pitcher. Unfortunately he did it against the Reds.

Ramon Hernandez (36) -After opening day of last year, what Reds fan isn't going to have a soft spot in his heart for Ramon?

Others:

David Wells (49) -"Boomer" and Kenny Lofton are, shall we say, somewhat different physically, but they share a record: they've each appeared for six different teams in the postseason... In 2007 he set a weird record: He became the oldest starting pitcher to lose a game to a starter even older than he was (Jamie Moyer).

Hal Newhouser- "Prince Hal" dominated the war years (he was 4F due to a leaky heart valve). Because the level of baseball was diminished in those years there's some debate over exactly how good he really was, but it seems pretty certain that he was very good indeed. He won 188 games before his 30th birthday, which is a record in the lively-ball era. He later scouted for several teams; he quit the Astros in protest when they refused to draft Derek Jeter on his recommendation, going with Phil Nevin instead...

George Grantham -A career .300 hitter who played a number of positions, none of them well...his nickname was "Boots", which tells you all you need to know about his relationship with the ground ball...

Wilcy Moore -Had the lowest ERA of any pitcher in 1927, but was denied the title because of a rule back then that pitchers had to pitch at least ten complete games to qualify for the ERA title. Some sources now list him as the champ anyway...

puca
05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I understand why you didn't list him as a Red but David Wells was part of the 1995 playoff team.

alexad
05-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I loved to watch Adam play. I still root for Austin. That collision at the plate where he hurt his shoulder has been the turning point in his career. Like Kal Daniels Austin had a great start but not a good out come.

Bob Borkowski
05-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Ramon Hernandez (36) -After opening day of last year, what Reds fan isn't going to have a soft spot in his heart for Ramon?

Certainly a highlight when you consider Reds opening days over the years.