PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/21

chicoruiz
05-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Reds:

Josh Hamilton (31) -I did the research, but his story is so familiar to RedsZoners that I don't really have anything to add here.

Eddie Milner (57) -Eddie holds a unique record: He had the only hit in a game for his team five times (teid for the ML record with ex-Red Cesar Tovar).

Others:

Kent Hrbek (52) -Born, raised and spent his entire career in the Minneapolis area.

Monty Stratton -For some reason I thought he made it all the way back to the bigs after his amputation. He didn't; some historian I am...If you see the movie The Stratton Story, watch for cameos from Bill Dickey, Jimmie Dykes and Gene Beardon.

Mace Brown - The first player to be selected to an All-Star team as a relief pitcher (in 1943). Later a Red Sox scout; he discovered Jim Rice.

Earl Averill -"The Earl of Snohomish"...Like DiMaggio he came out of the Bay Area, and like DiMaggio he did a lot of things awfully well...Still the Indians career leader in total bases, doubles and RBI...Hit the line drive that broke Dizzy Dean's toe in the All-Star Game.

Eddie Grant -"Harvard Eddie" is the only major league player to die in combat; it happened in the 1918 in the Argonne Forest. Judge Landis put forth the idea that he should be enshrined in the Hall Of Fame, but it never happened.

Bob Borkowski
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Earl Averill -"The Earl of Snohomish"...Like DiMaggio he came out of the Bay Area, and like DiMaggio he did a lot of things awfully well...Still the Indians career leader in total bases, doubles and RBI...Hit the line drive that broke Dizzy Dean's toe in the All-Star Game.

He debuted with the Indians a month short of his 27th birthday and still played in the big leagues for 13 seasons. Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1975.