PDA

View Full Version : Lance Berkman considering retirement?

Vottomatic
05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
So says mlbtraderumors: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/lance-berkman-considering-retirement.html

"You think about it when you have a potentially major surgery at this stage of your career. But, again, right now we don't know what it is. But it gives you pause," the first baseman said. "I don't think it's one of those deals where you sit out a week and see where your are. I think it's much more serious than that." - Lance Berkman

Makes me wonder about Rolen too.

mattfeet
05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
I agree on both fronts. Sucks to be potential HOF players end their careers due to injury, and it seems to have been happening a lot this year.

-Matt

oneupper
05-21-2012, 06:55 AM
After the season perhaps, too much money at stake for both.
$12 million Berkman, $6.5 mm for Rolen.

PuffyPig
05-21-2012, 08:58 AM
After the season perhaps, too much money at stake for both.
$12 million Berkman, $6.5 mm for Rolen.

If each is seriously hurt enough to not play again this season, they could "retire" because they can't play and still collect their money. Technically they don't retire becuase to do so would mean they don't get paid. But it's reoprted as such.

Sea Ray
05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree on both fronts. Sucks to be potential HOF players end their careers due to injury, and it seems to have been happening a lot this year.

-Matt

This is a risk to signing older ballplayers. More often than not retirements happen because the visits to the DL become too frequent. Very few get to go out like Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson. A 1Bman Berkman's age has a much greater chance of injuring a knee in a "stretch" play than one Joey Votto's age. Teams like the Cardinals and Yankees know they're rolling the dice by going with so many older players

Vottomatic
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Teams like the Yankees know they're rolling the dice by going with so many older players

YANKEES? HUH?:confused:

puca
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Even though he killed us as a Astro and then eventually signed with the Cardinals I always had a soft spot for Lance. I hope things work out where he doesn't need to make that decision.

edabbs44
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Reports that it is an ACL.

MikeThierry
05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Reports that it is an ACL.

Wow that sucks. Matt Adams is one of their top prospects and was going to be the Cards first baseman of the future but I don't think they wanted to start the clock on him until next season. It's going to be interesting to see how well he does at the major league level, at least until Allen Craig comes back.

I will be sad to see Berkman go if he does retire. I disliked him for all those years when he played in Houston because he seemed to kill the Cards. Now, seeing him play on a daily basis, I've really grown to appreciate him. He was the glue that held the club house together last year and was a guy you could easily root for.

traderumor
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow that sucks. Matt Adams is one of their top prospects and was going to be the Cards first baseman of the future but I don't think they wanted to start the clock on him until next season. It's going to be interesting to see how well he does at the major league level, at least until Allen Craig comes back.

I will be sad to see Berkman go if he does retire. I disliked him for all those years when he played in Houston because he seemed to kill the Cards. Now, seeing him play on a daily basis, I've really grown to appreciate him. He was the glue that held the club house together last year and was a guy you could easily root for.Mr. Adams is a bit husky. I'm wondering if he is going to look like Prince Fielder in a couple of years.

MikeThierry
05-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Mr. Adams is a bit husky. I'm wondering if he is going to look like Prince Fielder in a couple of years.

If he gives the Cards Prince Fielder like production, I'll be happy with it. Yeah, nobody is mistaking Matt Adams for Dee Gordon :laugh: He's a big burly dude that's projected to hit in the middle of the lineup for years.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Sad news for one of the great Astros of all time.

PuffyPig
05-21-2012, 11:05 AM
If he gives the Cards Prince Fielder like production, I'll be happy with it. Yeah, nobody is mistaking Matt Adams for Dee Gordon :laugh: He's a big burly dude that's projected to hit in the middle of the lineup for years.

Adams has done nothing but produce in the minors, but that hasn't stopped Prospect Projectors from being "meh" on him.

His K/W ratio in the minors isn't that great, and his size and mobility has obviously caused some concern.

I expect that he'll hit reasonably well, but more likely a .850 OPS guy with limited intangibles like running and defense.

For every Fielder that exceeds in the majors, there are hundreds of other Chunksters that never get a sniff.

But he's done nothing but rake in the minors and publications like Baseball America often prefer tools over production. To their detriment sometimes.

traderumor
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Adams has done nothing but produce in the minors, but that hasn't stopped Prospect Projectors from being "meh" on him.

His K/W ratio in the minors isn't that great, and his size and mobility has obviously caused some concern.

I expect that he'll hit reasonably well, but more likely a .850 OPS guy with limited intangibles like running and defense.

For every Fielder that exceeds in the majors, there are hundreds of other Chunksters that never get a sniff.

But he's done nothing but rake in the minors and publications like Baseball America often prefer tools over production. To their detriment sometimes.Left handed Steve Balboni? That is who he reminded me of at first glance.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Berkman has torn ACL. He's done for the season and maybe career.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/05/21/report-lance-berkman-tears-acl-will-miss-season/

HeatherC1212
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear this news about Lance Berkman and I wish him all the best. I hate to see great players go down with that type of injury no matter how it affects my own team. :(

REDREAD
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Berkman has torn ACL. He's done for the season and maybe career.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/05/21/report-lance-berkman-tears-acl-will-miss-season/

I wonder if CardinalsZone is complaining that their GM should've seen this coming :)

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Hate to hear this. Even though he always killed the Reds, I always enjoyed watching Berkman hit.

westofyou
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Class guy, sad to see this happen to anyone.

Worst part about it is he didn't get 100 abs so he won't be eligible for my strat league

kaldaniels
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't wish any one player ill so don't take this the wrong way.

But when the Cards (or any other rival) take on a risky guy (age/injury) and things fall apart I am a bit glad when it doesn't work out. Now Lance helped them win a WS so he certainly didn't go to waste.

And if other fans feel the same about us and Rolen, I have no problem with that.

kaldaniels
05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I echo the above about him being a classy guy.

kaldaniels
05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/lance-berkman-hall-of-famer/

Surprised he only has a bit over 1800 career hits.

Vottomatic
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm conflicted. I have always been a Berkman fan, so I'm sad this has happened TO HIM.

As for the Cardinals..........meh. :D

Dan
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/lance-berkman-hall-of-famer/

Surprised he only has a bit over 1800 career hits.

That's about 1750 hits more than Brandon Larson. *sigh*

edabbs44
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Now they are saying meniscus, not ACL.

hebroncougar
05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Now they are saying meniscus, not ACL.

They've decided to go the "super juice" route that cured Pujols last year. They're hiding the tear.:p

edabbs44
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Bball Tonight just said that Berkman is not buying the meniscus diagnosis and is going out to Vail, CO to get a 2nd opinion.

Weird.

The Operator
05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I think this might be the first case of a player getting a second opinion because he thinks he's injured even worse than what the team physician says. Very weird.

It won't look good at all for The Cards' medical people if Lance is right.

RedlegJake
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
If I was an older player and the end was near and I got hurt I think I'd mistrust the team docs too. Suddenly the money/health ratio is on the wrong side of the equation as concerns the player...

traderumor
05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I think this might be the first case of a player getting a second opinion because he thinks he's injured even worse than what the team physician says. Very weird.

Maybe Jim Edmonds is advising him.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
They're saying 6 to 8 weeks.

brad1176
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM

He might be a bit upset with the Cards medical staff after revealing this: He also revealed on Monday that an MRI taken during Spring Training revealed a much smaller meniscus tear in the knee. No procedure was done at the time, because Berkman was told he could play through the issue.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120521&content_id=31903302&vkey=news_stl&c_id=stl