PDA

View Full Version : Great article: 'Hey St. Louis, Here Come The Reds'

Blitz Dorsey
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
ESPN.com with a crazy-good piece on the Reds weathering the storm of the Cardinals hot start to the season. Says it should be a great two-team race all summer. A national writer who really knows his stuff (David Schoenfield). Almost shocking:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/24684/hey-st-louis-here-come-the-reds

WildcatFan
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
He's pretty much spot on everywhere listing his concerns about the team moving foward (lack of walks, low OBP, Chapman wasted in closer's role, starters not going deep enough often enough, Dusty). It's interesting that in spite of those concerns, he seems optimistic about the Reds' season.

Spitball
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
The low on base guys Dusty is hitting before Votto are hurting the offense. Why pitch to Votto if first base is empty? I like the writer's idea of moving Bruce into the number two hole.

M2
05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
The Reds concerns may not be concerns. The Reds are a team that has yet to play its best baseball. The OB situation is a real problem, but you can assume there will be some internal improvement in that area.

Meanwhile the Cardinals aren't getting any younger and that team squandered its hot start. I'd much rather be in the Reds' shoes. I don't know that St. Louis has got a team that can win 90+ games. The injuries are already ganging up on it.

M2
05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I like the writer's idea of moving Bruce into the number two hole.

I disliked that idea. Votto is guaranteed OB. Bruce is guaranteed SLG. Put the OB up in front of the SLG.

Caveman Techie
05-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I disliked that idea. Votto is guaranteed OB. Bruce is guaranteed SLG. Put the OB up in front of the SLG.

It would certainly give Bruce some better pitches to swing at, but yeah I agree Bruce needs to hit behind Votto to give him some protection.

cincyinco
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM

Agreed. Plus, Im not sure if I mess with Stubbs in the 2 hole. Don't mess up that mojo.

M2
05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Agreed. Plus, Im not sure if I mess with Stubbs in the 2 hole. Don't mess up that mojo.

Stubbs in the 2 hole vs. LHPs is fine. I'm not sure he's got any mojo vs. RHPs.

REDREAD
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Exactly, Stubbs is thriving in front of Votto. I'd prefer to leave him there.
When Stubbs hits (or even gets on base), he lifts the offense.

This is a compliment to Bruce.. he can pretty much hit anywhere in the lineup.

I might consider a lineup of Stubbs #1, Votto #2.. then Bruce #3 or 4, but
I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. Votto might get one more additional at bat, but if a team is OBP challenged like the Reds, it's probably better to hit Votto #3.. 2 players in front of Votto means a greater probablility that at least one will be on base when Votto comes up the first time.

WMR
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Can we just make M2 manager and gm?

cincyinco
05-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Stubbs in the 2 hole vs. LHPs is fine. I'm not sure he's got any mojo vs. RHPs.

I don't have the splits of lhp vs rhp. In the 2 spot, but overall, he's been far and away better there. Don't mess with that. Stubbs needs to be productive for this team today have a chance IMO.

PuffyPig
05-23-2012, 07:14 AM
He's pretty much spot on everywhere listing his concerns about the team moving foward (lack of walks, low OBP, Chapman wasted in closer's role, starters not going deep enough often enough, Dusty). It's interesting that in spite of those concerns, he seems optimistic about the Reds' season.

The Reds are 6th in the NL in innings pitched per game per stater, at 6.1. They are ahead of the Braves and the Nats.

WildcatFan
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
The Reds are 6th in the NL in innings pitched per game per stater, at 6.1. They are ahead of the Braves and the Nats.

That's a testament to how good Cueto has been, I think. Take out the Braves start and he's averaging 7 innings a start. Latos, Bailey, and Leake are all averaging fewer than 6 innings. Latos, in particular, seems to rack up 65 pitches around the 4th inning. It took him 116 last night to get 7.

That said, if it is a problem (which I guess is up for debate), you better have a solid bullpen to back them up, and the Reds have that.