PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown Shootout Moves Downtown

Boston Red
05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
I think this is a very poor decision (being charitable).

WVRed
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I think this is a very poor decision (being charitable).

If anything, the decision should have been made to scrap the series for about 5-10 years.

The Cincinnati-Xaiver rivalry is pretty heated as is. It might be a good idea to let it cool off.

Boston Red
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd rather them scrap it than play downtown. Xavier and UC spent a lot of money on arenas on campus to host games like these. It's silly (and a complete overreaction to last year's fight) not to play in those arenas.

Chip R
05-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd rather them scrap it than play downtown. Xavier and UC spent a lot of money on arenas on campus to host games like these. It's silly (and a complete overreaction to last year's fight) not to play in those arenas.

Those darn arenas! Always starting fights. ;)

Boston Red
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Decoursey's take:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-05-22/crosstown-shootout-cincinnati-xavier-move-game-after-last-years-brawl?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Assembly Hall
05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
With your handle, I figured it had something to do with BU and BC. But then again I was hoping it was a discussion about Duquesne/Pitt.

I really think they should do away with the rivalry for awhile.

nmculbreth
05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
I have a feeling that this decision is going to have a profound impact on UC's ability to sell season ticket packages, which is concerning given UC's past problems filling 5/3 Arena.

The slate opponents in the post-Huggins era has been pretty pathetic outside of conference play, with the notable exception of the shootout, and attendance has suffered accordingly. Assuming that the shootout is not included in the season ticket package, which isn't a leap considering the Big-East vs. SEC games played at US Bank Arena haven't been included, the value of the package is even further diluted...

Sea Ray
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
It certainly seems like a huge overeaction to an isolated event where the principals are not going to be around next yr anyway

reds1869
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Complete overreaction. As others have pointed out, if anything this ups the chance of something in the stands. When I attended the Shootout as a Xavier fan at 5/3, I knew to keep my mouth closed. Same for the UC fans at Cintas in the past. A split crowd could get ugly, or it could go smoothly. Time will tell, but in the end I think this is a poor decision.

dougdirt
05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a feeling that this decision is going to have a profound impact on UC's ability to sell season ticket packages, which is concerning given UC's past problems filling 5/3 Arena.

The slate opponents in the post-Huggins era has been pretty pathetic outside of conference play, with the notable exception of the shootout, and attendance has suffered accordingly. Assuming that the shootout is not included in the season ticket package, which isn't a leap considering the Big-East vs. SEC games played at US Bank Arena haven't been included, the value of the package is even further diluted...
Sales haven't been because of the competition post Huggins, it has been because Huggins isn't there anymore and when he left and went through the debacle that he did, he took a lot of fans with him and they never came back.

ervinsm84
05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Really don't think moving the game is that big of a deal, but from what I've read both schools will lose $ on it, which is why I'm surprised both universities agreed to the deal.

Boston Red
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
If Riverfront Coliseum wasn't a total dump it would possibly make a bit more sense.

BuckeyeRed27
05-22-2012, 07:39 PM
They should play the game outside at PBS. That would be kind of cool.

I agree that this is a bad idea. Mainly because I don't think it will help having a 50/50 split of fans. I guess it could be a good, unique environment if everyone behaves.

dabvu2498
05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
If Riverfront Coliseum wasn't a total dump it would possibly make a bit more sense.

Agreed. That place is awful.

SeeinRed
05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I find it interesting that those with no rooting interest think best option for the series would be to scrap it. It means far too much to fans and the City of Cincinnati to ever scrap the series. The brawl seems to be the only thing stuck on the minds of others, but the game has been one that everyone in the city looks forward to every year. I'd be willing to bet that cancelling the game was never really an option, nor should it have been.

I also think moving the game was a horrible idea. Playing the game in home arenas was one of the things that made the series so special. Sure, the brawl was horrible. Most reports of the behavior of Xavier students was not good. These things can be addressed without any drastic changes to the series. School officials could have taken steps to keep UC students from misbehaving. Coaches and officials could have kept players under control. I think that was the biggest issue last year. Not to rehash the debate from last year or to minimize UC players' actions, but I've heard that many in the athletic department and even at Xavier were very unhappy with the inaction of Mack while his players were trash talking. Keeping on top of that next time will be very key to keeping such a thing from happening again.

Both schools should have been able to keep this from happening again without moving the game.

paintmered
05-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Not so fast...

Joint statement from Presidents Gregory H. Williams and Michael J. Graham, S.J.
“The University of Cincinnati and Xavier University were both surprised to see today’s announcement concerning the future of the Crosstown Shootout. While both schools are committed to the future of the Crosstown rivalry, specific discussions are ongoing and no details have been finalized. We look forward to sharing our plans with the community at an appropriate time in the coming weeks.”

Roy Tucker
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I think its a good way to continue the series and take some of the overheatedness out of it. It's a road game for both teams and both sets of fans will be on "road" behavior and be a little less rabid.

Boston Red
05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Why do we want the fans to be less rabid? They didn't fight.

SeeinRed
05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Why do we want the fans to be less rabid? They didn't fight.

There were many reports of some very unsavory behavior by Xavier students and fans. Depending on who you hear it from, things were quite hairy for some of the UC coaches' families. If you remember correctly Xavier had planned on making every student who wanted to attend a game for the rest of the season attend a group "reflection" before backing off that stance because, well, it was not a very well thought out plan.

Again, I don't want anyone to believe I am pointing fingers at Xavier fans and students. It might have been just as bad if the brawl had happened at UC. Having students and fans acting like that is not acceptable however, and something that should be addressed.

Boston Red
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Acting like what? Some students were chanting "F-_k UC!" Not exactly classy (or original), but not exactly earth shattering stuff either. There's nothing wrong with an intense environment. Hell, we should want an intense environment. The players just shouldn't fight. Since there hasn't been a fight before, I'm not sure they should be particularly concerned about another.

SeeinRed
05-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Acting like what? Some students were chanting "F-_k UC!" Not exactly classy (or original), but not exactly earth shattering stuff either. There's nothing wrong with an intense environment. Hell, we should want an intense environment. The players just shouldn't fight. Since there hasn't been a fight before, I'm not sure they should be particularly concerned about another.

There were reports of things being thrown at some of the UC staff's family for one. I even heard some people say paint was thrown. Profanity was not the only issue. To be honest, having the series in home venues is probably the only thing that kept things from escelating into a more physical nature. There was legitimate concern for the saftey of some of the UC staff and their families sitting behind the bench. That is in no way anything that should be shrugged off.

As I stated in my first post. I disagree with moving the series to a neutral site. I think it should stay as it is, though further action toward reducing hostility in the players and fans/students should be taken. There is nothing wrong with some intensity, but the line was certainly crossed last year. Inaction would be absurd.

Also, even though last year was the first time the two teams had engaged in a brawl, Xavier players had thrown elbows with intent towards UC players in the previous two years. The issue was boiling before last year.

Boston Red
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the correct level of intensity. Assuming there are no more in-game brawls (another is highly unlikely), there's no reason for anyone to be afraid for their safety in the home arenas.

And inaction may be absurd, but complete overreaction is equally absurd.

Sea Ray
05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Not so fast...

Joint statement from Presidents Gregory H. Williams and Michael J. Graham, S.J.
“The University of Cincinnati and Xavier University were both surprised to see today’s announcement concerning the future of the Crosstown Shootout. While both schools are committed to the future of the Crosstown rivalry, specific discussions are ongoing and no details have been finalized. We look forward to sharing our plans with the community at an appropriate time in the coming weeks.”

OK, so who reported a false story? I'm thinking it was the Enquirer but I think we now have a story within a story. Something false was reported with no documentation and my guess is no writer is going to take credit for initially breaking this story. Somebody screwed up bigtime here.They reported a definite: that the game would be moved and it'd be announced next month. That's a flatout lie

Joseph
05-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Much ado about nothing. Not many care outside the 275 loop.

Chip R
05-28-2012, 02:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7972552/xavier-cincinnati-sorting-where-play-college-basketball

Boston Red
12-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Who's fired up for tonight's Crosstown Classic in support of some museum no one goes to? Based on ticket sales, no one.

wolfboy
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Who's fired up for tonight's Crosstown Classic in support of some museum no one goes to? Based on ticket sales, no one.

I'm fired up. Are ticket sales poor? I bought mine a week ago and I got the impression that there weren't a ton left. This was from the guy at the counter at the museum/circus venue.

Boston Red
12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
You bought tickets a week before the game at a a "museum/circus venue". That's pretty good evidence ticket sales haven't exactly been brisk.

Todd Gack
12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm very offended that the title still contains the word 'Shootout.'

Sea Ray
12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
It's still the Shootout in my verbiage

mdccclxix
12-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Why do they still say the player "shot" the ball? Calls to mind violence.

wolfboy
12-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm ecstatic that I'll get to see the game live this year. It's worth the price of admission to avoid 2,000 gratuitous references to "the brawl" on t.v.

Reds Freak
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM

I read that 14,000 tickets have been sold. Not to change the subject, but I'd also be careful calling the Freedom Center a museum that no one goes to: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121216/NEWS/312160071&Ref=AR

Boston Red
12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
The excitement for this weekend's Shootout is palpable. Only 6,000 tickets remain!

Campuses or cancel!

Wonderful Monds
12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Going to Catskeller to watch it, screw going off campus for it.

wolfboy
12-11-2013, 03:31 PM
The excitement for this weekend's Shootout is palpable. Only 6,000 tickets remain!

Campuses or cancel!

Ticket prices are astronomical. They're killing the Shootout.

Chip R
12-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Ticket prices are astronomical. They're killing the Shootout.

How do you kill something that's already dead?

wolfboy
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
How do you kill something that's already dead?

Good point. I stand corrected.

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
It's a great rivalry.

There's no reason to cancel it, other than the fact that fans on both sides feel smugly superior by just suggesting it.

Boston Red
12-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't want it cancelled. I want it moved back to campus.

They may as well cancel it if the only alternative is playing it downtown, though.

Chip R
12-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I don't want it cancelled. I want it moved back to campus.

They may as well cancel it if the only alternative is playing it downtown, though.

They probably will cancel it and they won't play it for several years. Eventually - may not be for 15-20 years - cooler heads will prevail and it'll start up again.

BuckeyeRed27
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Why is there so much backlash about this being downtown?

wolfboy
12-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Poor atmosphere, poor facilities, away from campus, and ticket prices are just a few.

Boston Red
12-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Both universities spent millions of dollars on basketball arenas on campus in the last 20 or so years. Why move one of the better games on both teams' schedules to a terrible arena away from those on-campus venues? It makes no sense. The games should be for the students more than anyone, and I'm not sure how convenient the Shoe is for UC students, but for Xavier students the Cintas Center is a 2 minute walk from the dorms. Downtown isn't nearly so easy.

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Because US Bank is a dump and it makes the game an extra purchase on top of everyone's season ticket package, which is annoying as hell.

reds1869
12-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Good things about the game being downtown: I can walk there from my apartment.

Bad things about the game being downtown: everything else.

That said, I'll be there. But only because it is both a Xavier game and incredibly convenient for me.

Boston Red
12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
As fantastic as tonight was (and it WAS fantastic), this game still belongs on campus.

reds1869
12-14-2013, 11:53 PM
As fantastic as tonight was (and it WAS fantastic), this game still belongs on campus.

Agreed. I have to admit the atmosphere was fun tonight, but the game is just better on campus.

Boston Red
05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
The Crosstown Shootout is back!

RedTeamGo!
05-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Aaaaaaand Dayton is better than both of them. Ouch!

Boston Red
05-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Aaaaaaand Dayton is better than both of them. Ouch!

So all it takes is one NCAA Tournament run (as an 11 seed) every 30 years to elicit that kind of talk, eh?

Caveat Emperor
05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
So all it takes is one NCAA Tournament run (as an 11 seed) every 30 years to elicit that kind of talk, eh?

Probably best to talk smack while he can, by the time they make another run like this, we'll all be communicating directly via holograms.