PDA

View Full Version : Here's How I Know The Ump Knows He Blew It

redssince75
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
On the Jay Bruce 3rd strike that was half a foot inside (and not just that strike, an earlier one in same place in same AB).

He let Jay turn and bark at him for a good little while without barking back and without throwing him out. Arguing strikes is an automatic ejection, yes? Letting Jay go on like that just says, "yeah, I f'ed up, you can yell at me."

DirtyBaker
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
There's probably some truth to that. The pitch tracker showed the ball JUST off the plate so it was certainly close, that, and Bruce doesn't have a history of arguing with umpires as far as I can recall.

Different umpires have different levels of sensitivity. I remember Votto getting thrown out of the game in the first inning at Wrigley for arguing with an umpire -he wasn't even looking at the umpire and it was the middle of an AB. Probably depends on what you say just as much as how you say it.

MrRedLegger
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Arguing strikes won't get you ejected, but how you argue a strike can. You can disagree and show some frustration but a temper tantrum will earn you a one way ticket to the locker room.

Bruce is always smiling and has a great attitude.

If he's yelling at the ump, something is very wrong. That was a horrible call and thankfully it didn't change the outcome of the game.

Captain13
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't know how accurate Pitch Trax is, but that pitch showed the edge of the ball touching the edge of the strikezone...that is a strike. That said, it looked inside to me.

Ironman92
05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Bruce is in a rough spell....nothing falling, whiffing and the borderline pitches going against him. He needs a day off...he's pressing.

Votto always did that turn your back and kick at the back of the batter's box line with my head down.....umpires grew tired of it and he's cut down on it a lot since getting tossed.

New York Red
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
The problem I had with that AB was, the pitcher basically threw the ball in same spot on four straight pitches, and the ump called two of them balls and two of them strikes.