PDA

View Full Version : Chris Perez calls out Cleveland Fans

The Operator
05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Despite his saying he's not calling them out, it sure looks like it. What a rant!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19125814/indians-perez-sets-up-closer-vs-cleveland-fans-after-criticism

"It's just a slap in the face when you're in first place and last in attendance," Perez told Cleveland reporters. "Last. It's not like we're 25th, 26th -- we're last. Oakland is outdrawing us. That's embarrassing.

dougdirt
05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Good for him. Seriously.

It is a bit embarrassing.

Yachtzee
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
On the one hand, Miller has a point that many Indians fans have been turned off by seeing their best talent traded away year after year. If MLB would get smart and work harder to balance revenue across all markets to allow teams to hold onto some of their stars instead of having to trade them away before they hit free agency, it would make it easier for teams like the Indians to hold fan interest.

On the other hand, I disagree with the notion that Indians fans will flock to the team in droves if they're in first place once school lets out because Cleveland's a great "sports town." Cleveland is a great football town, that's it. The only reason the Indians sold out 455 games in a row was because they benefited from the perfect storm of new ballpark, first team in decades to make a run at the World Series, and, most importantly, no Browns. The Browns moved to Baltimore and there was no NFL team in Cleveland at that time. Change any one of those three conditions and the Indians would have never sold out that many games.

Cleveland is a town where, no matter how terrible they are, the Browns will be loved. If they're good, the fans talk playoffs. If they're bad, the fans talk NFL Draft. The Indians and Cavs, on the other hand, only draw well when they do well, and even then these teams need some sort of star power to bring the fans out. If the team doesn't have an ace pitcher or a superstar running the court, Cleveland fans tend to remain skeptical of success. When I used to listen to sports talk up here, the common complaint has always been, "How can the Indians/Cavs expect to make the playoffs if they can't/won't pay to bring in top notch talent." I think the only way the Indians or Cavs will overcome that is by winning a championship, as the city is so championship starved, the whole city will explode if they actually win something.

RedsManRick
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
I bet attendance would rise if they cut ticket prices. But sagging attendance in the rust belt during a recession isn't much of a surprise.

kaldaniels
05-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Just makes that mid-90's sellout streak look even more amazing.

Orenda
05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
give the fans a break, it's not like Chris Perez is going to come through in the clutch anyway, after all, it's Cleveland. At this point, I'd take it as a positive sign that anyone is dropping coin on pro sports there. Can I get a WITNESS?