PDA

View Full Version : Mat Latos in May

The Voice of IH
05-23-2012, 01:52 AM
After a rough start to his Cincinnati career, Latos seems to have settled in rather nicely.

In the month of May, Latos sports an ERA of 2.25, has a 2-0 record and seems more comfortable on the mound.

The only concerning thing from Latos is that in four starts, twice he has been pulled before the sixth inning. Obviously Tuesday night was not one of those nights.

Regardless, I feel that credit should be given where it is due. Latos has been good and a key part of the current Reds run.

WVRedsFan
05-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Got to see part of that game on DVR. He looked in command. Fast forward to the Padres game. Edinson did his usual act--walked I think, four, and looked like EV looks. Thank God for the Reds. The drama that was EV is gone. Maybe Mat is a head case, but I expect much better and less dramatic results.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Latos has a 2.72 ERA and 37 K in 36.1 IP over his last six starts.

WMR
05-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Is there some way we can start his spring training a month before everyone else?

reds44
05-23-2012, 02:41 AM
He's always terrible in April. This year was no different. Never batted an eye about it.

Tom Servo
05-23-2012, 03:20 AM
When he's on he is a joy to watch.

jhu1321
05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I noticed last night he wasn't taking so much time between pitches. Wonder if someone had a chat with him about picking up his pace? Good to see him pitching better...... :thumbup:

Always Red
05-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Barry Larkin was also a notoriously slow starter, often entering May under the Mendoza line.

I wonder why some guys just start so slowly? It's not like they are out of shape or not prepared for the season, they just don't start putting things together until after playing a month.

cincy09
05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I noticed last night he wasn't taking so much time between pitches. Wonder if someone had a chat with him about picking up his pace? Good to see him pitching better...... :thumbup:

I saw the exact same thing. Especially in the later innings. Leake was doing that on Monday, as well. You could tell they were in a zone. There's not many things more enjoyable in baseball than seeing a pitcher get in rhythm and be in total control.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Getting his offspeed stuff over the plate is all the difference. Not sure if that is calendar related, but that is what has made the difference in his good outings. He seems to abandon the breaking stuff when he starts to miss with it, starts going with the fastball and nibbling, then it is trouble.

NJReds
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
I was at the Mets game, and it seemed like he was either being squeezed (and getting frustrated) or he was nibbling. Also, nobody on the Reds could get David Wright out, and after attempting to pitch around Wright it seemed like he couldn't located well to Duda.

Last night when he got into the later innings, Latos looked like a machine. Get the ball, fire it in. He seemed really focused.

WildcatFan
05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I really like watching him pitch. He kind of just seems mean, and I'm a fan. It's cool to have the guy other people hate because of his yelling, tattoos, etc. If he can continue to harness that edge by pitching like he's flat out better than you, he's going to succeed big time. Reminds me a little bit of the Rocket that way.

RedlegJake
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
There are some guys who never seem to get it going until the weather really gets warm. Latos seems to be that kind of guy - or maybe those kind of guys need a longer period of compettion before their muscle memory really kicks in and they begin performing in that easy "not-thinking-about-it" mode most people who've competed athletically can relate to. And practice - ST games - never seems to equate to the real thing.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I observed something early in the game I wonder if anyone else noticed. I think the Braves were trying to play on Latos hot head reputation. David Ross stepped out 2-3 times in his first AB, and the first time he got a reaction from Latos, so as the AB continued he tried it again, seemingly timing it to be right at the windup. I really think they were trying to get him angry to affect his performance.

RED VAN HOT
05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I noticed that his velocity was up to 94 in the first inning. As the game progressed velocity increased further. It seems to me that in several previous starts his velocity was down in the early innings.

Edd Roush
05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Barry Larkin was also a notoriously slow starter, often entering May under the Mendoza line.

I have been looking into a lot of Barry Larkin's stats recently to try to get pumped for the Hall of Fame induction ceremony and I just wanted to clarify Always Red's post. Barry was a "slow" starter in that he hit "just" .270 for his career in March/April. Compare this to the rest of the month's splits where Barry hit no worse than .293 in any other month and I definitely do believe you can call Barry a slow starter.