PDA

View Full Version : Old Jim Brosnan interview

redsmetz
05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
This is from five years ago & I just came across while searching for something for the Old Relievers thread. Interesting Q&A with former Reds pitcher Jim Brosnan who wrote two books on baseball, well before Ball Four came out. One was about the 1961 Reds pennant.

http://www.laobserved.com/sports/2007/07/an_interview_with_jim_brosnan.php

RANDY IN INDY
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I have both of Brosnan's books. Both are very enjoyable reads.

RichRed
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Agreed, two of my favorite baseball books.

redsmetz
05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I came across a signed copy of Pennant Race that I've had for sale in my store for some months now, but alas, no takers.

Yachtzee
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Read them a few times myself. Not quite as sensational as Ball Four, but great reads just the same.

westofyou
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Read them a few times myself. Not quite as sensational as Ball Four, but great reads just the same.

Ball Four was written with a famous baseball writer (one of the infamous Chipmunks) this approach added to the more revealing nature of the book, coupled with the changing mores of the late 60s vs the early 60s produced a funnier and more controversial book

I LOVE Ball Four and I appreciate Brosnan opening the door and revealing the game of his era, but Ball Four changed baseball literature more

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Ball Four was written with a famous baseball writer (one of the infamous Chipmunks) this approach added to the more revealing nature of the book, coupled with the changing mores of the late 60s vs the early 60s produced a funnier and more controversial book

I LOVE Ball Four and I appreciate Brosnan opening the door and revealing the game of his era, but Ball Four changed baseball literature more

Oh, I love "Ball Four" too. I think they're both great reads.