PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign Joey Gathright

reds44
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Mark Sheldon ‏@m_sheldon
According to newspaper in Connecticut, The Hour, #reds / AAA Louisville purchased contract OF Joey Gathright from independent Bridgeport.

WildcatFan
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Hm. He's terrible.

In his two full-ish seasons, his OPS+s were 61 (2006) and 59 (2008).

Interesting note about 2006. If Gathright had gotten 55 more PAs, the two worst OPS+ers in the AL would have both been Royals (Angel Berroa was at 52, one of the worst seasons ever).

Over in the NL, three of the worst five were Astros: Taveras (74), Everett (64), and Barmes (47!!!) That team finished second in the Central. We are in the weirdest division in baseball.

/end thread hijack

Edd Roush
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Joey Gathright is what we don't want Billy Hamilton to turn into. Joey had some great minor league seasons based on his speed, and didn't do much of anything other than a nice 261 PAs in 2007.

KronoRed
05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
From the Mexican league to the Atlantic league to the Reds.

redsmetz
05-24-2012, 04:53 PM
So what is it that Louisville needs that has the club purchasing his contract from an independent league? Are his defensive skills such that, in an emergency, he helps somewhere? I'm not overly concerned, as this strikes me as the proverbial "organizational filler." Did someone get hurt down there that they're needing another body? Or have our scouts seen something that makes him possibly of some value now?

reds44
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
So what is it that Louisville needs that has the club purchasing his contract from an independent league? Are his defensive skills such that, in an emergency, he helps somewhere? I'm not overly concerned, as this strikes me as the proverbial "organizational filler." Did someone get hurt down there that they're needing another body? Or have our scouts seen something that makes him possibly of some value now?
Who do the Reds call up if an OFer goes down? I think that's why they did it. At least Gathright has some expierence and is fast.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Who do the Reds call up if an OFer goes down? I think that's why they did it. At least Gathright has some expierence and is fast.

But, but, but....Willie Harris is still down there. *snicker* :lol:

Seriously though....I'd call up Danny Dorn in a heartbeat. I really think he deserves a cup o' joe after all this time. He's probably having his worst season right now...but if you need a warm body to fill in...I'd take him over Willie Harris for sure.

Kc61
05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
But, but, but....Willie Harris is still down there. *snicker* :lol:

Seriously though....I'd call up Danny Dorn in a heartbeat. I really think he deserves a cup o' joe after all this time. He's probably having his worst season right now...but if you need a warm body to fill in...I'd take him over Willie Harris for sure.

Willie Harris has had a very decent MLB career as a backup player. A couple of his seasons were actually pretty good.

He got off terribly this year, deserved to be sent down.

But I find it disturbing that his name is used as some kind of joke.

At least major league teams have found him suitable for their rosters over a number of years. The Reds think so little of Dorn he can't get a call up under any circumstances.

Free Willie.

Tom Servo
05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Weren't you a big Gathright booster several years back? I think you may be a bit biased. :p

reds44
05-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Weren't you a big Gathright booster several years back? I think you may be a bit biased. :p
Hahaha I was hoping everyone would have forgotten that by now.

Blitz Dorsey
05-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, Kris Negron is an everyday starter for the Bats. So, there's actually a chance he won't be the worst player on the team.

Orenda
05-24-2012, 07:42 PM
not much risk, at this point he's become a journey man grinder, good karma has to have been built up. Kris Negron's 4 hr so far this season has to be close to Gathright's career numbers, btw.

mth123
05-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Joey Gathright may be the only player I like less than Willy Taveras.

If an OF goes down, call up anybody else.

jojo
05-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Signing Gathright at this point seems like the kind of thing you do without telling anyone.

Big Klu
05-24-2012, 08:53 PM

There isn't a lot of help at Louisville right now. Kris Negron and Neftali Soto are the only healthy players who are on the 40-man roster. Paul Janish, Chris Valaika, and Denis Phipps are all on the DL, and Janish is the only one of the bunch who is swinging the bat well.

The only non-roster player who is swinging the bat at a decent clip is Dioner Navarro. Corky Miller and Bill Rhinehart have decent walk rates that boost their OBP. Rhinehart is the only OF of the group. Danny Dorn and Willie Harris both have batting averages near the Mendoza line and sub-.300 OBP's.

My guess would be that Negron would probably get the call, and Wilson Valdez and Todd Frazier would be called upon to provide depth in the OF.

dougdirt
05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Well, Kris Negron is an everyday starter for the Bats. So, there's actually a chance he won't be the worst player on the team.

Doubtful. Gathright really is that bad.

corkedbat
05-24-2012, 09:23 PM
There's not a whole lot at AAA right now, but I'd have to consider Reinhardt if they need an OF.

mth123
05-24-2012, 09:23 PM
When Willy Taveras gets up in the morning he can hold his head high, look in the mirror and be secure in the knowledge that he isn't the worst player in the major leagues over the last 10 years...

...and the reason he can do that is the existence of Joey Gathright.

Tom Servo
05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
When Willy Taveras gets up in the morning he can hold his head high, look in the mirror and be secure in the knowledge that he isn't the worst player in the major leagues over the last 10 years...

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/eugenio-velez-8-2009-mlb-san-francisco-giants-5eBywT.jpg

Spitball
05-24-2012, 10:04 PM

I was just about to post that Gathright is basically Brian Hunter Lite.

IslandRed
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
The farm clubs have their own roster issues, many of which have nothing to do with the big club. Louisville has a bunch of position players on the DL and they need some disposable depth guys. Shrug.

RBA
05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
This is the move that will put the Reds in first place.

CesarGeronimo
05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Signing Gathright at this point seems like the kind of thing you do without telling anyone.

Especially Dusty. Do not tell Dusty!

WildcatFan
05-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Especially Dusty. Do not tell Dusty!

Or his daughter.

05-25-2012, 01:06 AM
I hope he never plays for the Reds, but Gathright is a gold glove level CF. He's not nearly as useless as this board thinks. I really think the Patterson/Taveras saga has poisoned this board against all fast, defense minded CF.

corkedbat
05-25-2012, 01:22 AM
I hope he never plays for the Reds, but Gathright is a gold glove level CF. He's not nearly as useless as this board thinks. I really think the Patterson/Taveras saga has poisoned this board against all fast, defense minded CF.

Only the seriously OBP-challenged ones.

RBA
05-25-2012, 01:38 AM

César Gerónimo?

Big Klu
05-25-2012, 01:54 AM
César Gerónimo?

I have a sneaking suspicion that RedsZone would have hated Geronimo, and accused him of dating Sparky's daughter every time he hit somewhere other than eighth.

RedsManRick
05-25-2012, 02:26 AM
How have we gotten this far and not mentioned the whole jumping over the car thing. I thought that was required.

05-25-2012, 02:30 AM
How have we gotten this far and not mentioned the whole jumping over the car thing. I thought that was required.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Guy Jumping Over cars - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShuwSiJi98&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

redsmetz
05-25-2012, 07:08 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that RedsZone would have hated Geronimo, and accused him of dating Sparky's daughter every time he hit somewhere other than eighth.

I've long suspected that too.

Tony Cloninger
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
They had Q Berry down there last year....and he looked good for a possible 4th OF....AAA depth but they let him go for no reason that i can see. Now they sign the bottom of the barrel. Walt does a bad job...to me...in building a bench and cheap free agent signings.

People who have tolerated Geronimo beacuse he would have batted 8th and they had the hitting around him to be tolerated.

westofyou
05-25-2012, 09:39 AM

I believe astroturf ball would have killed at least half of the board

klw
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Not a big deal. Remain calm, all is well.
Animal House - All Is Well! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro)

Big Klu
05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
People who have tolerated Geronimo beacuse he would have batted 8th and they had the hitting around him to be tolerated.

Except that a lot of the time he didn't bat eighth--Concepcion would hit eighth, or Chaney, Flynn, Plummer, or Armbrister. Sometimes Geronimo hit as high as fifth or sixth. Sometimes he hit second. I think once or twice he even hit third.

klw
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Except that a lot of the time he didn't bat eighth--Concepcion would hit eighth, or Chaney, Flynn, Plummer, or Armbrister. Sometimes Geronimo hit as high as fifth or sixth. Sometimes he hit second. I think once or twice he even hit third.

Well Geronimo in 76 also had a line of .307/.382/.414/.795 for an OPS+ of 125. so he was not a blackhole with the bat all the time.

IIRC One of the complaints about Taveras was that in addition to the hitting issues, he wasn't very good in the OF despite his speed.

Kc61
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Well Geronimo in 76 also had a line of .307/.382/.414/.795 for an OPS+ of 125. so he was not a blackhole with the bat all the time.

Geronimo was a very smooth centerfielder defensively. He reputedly had a great arm, although I never thought it was as good as advertised.

Now that was a team that could afford a defensive-oriented CF.

Marc D
05-25-2012, 01:05 PM

IIRC One of the complaints about Taveras was that in addition to the hitting issues, he wasn't very good in the OF despite his speed.

Geronimo from '73-'76 put up a combined 13.4 WAR
Taveras best 4 years netted 7.3 WAR
Patterson from '02-'07, six years not 4, netted his team(s) 12.5 WAR

If RZ would have ridden Geronimo as hard as WT/Patterson they would have been wrong. I think most would have been smart enough to see that he was a much better player and treated him accordingly.

klw
05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Geronimo was a very smooth centerfielder defensively. He reputedly had a great arm, although I never thought it was as good as advertised.

Now that was a team that could afford a defensive-oriented CF.
Oddly enough Geronimo had 13 IBB'S in 76.

Big Klu
05-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Geronimo did have a great 1976 season--the best of his career. But RedsZone would have been calling for his head on a silver plate after 1973, when he had a line of .210/.266/.309/.574 and an OPS+ of 63.

Don't misunderstand me--I'm a Geronimo fan. He anchored the team defensively in CF, he contributed with timely hits at the bottom of the order, and he was a good baserunner. My argument is that RedsZone would not have been so kind to him back then as they are now.

However, the truly polarizing figure for the RedsZone of the 70's would have been George "Sparky" Anderson. People on RZ would have either loved him or hated him. Any bile directed Geronimo's way would likely have been because he would have been perceived by the anti-Sparky crowd as being Sparky's pet, or "dating Sparky's daughter", if you will.

savafan
05-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Billy Bates certainly wasn't much as a major league ballplayer, but his speed was pretty useful down the stretch in 1990...

KronoRed
05-25-2012, 06:22 PM

I don't think so, when the lineup is loaded people overlook the D first guys.

klw
10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39368648&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb
Gathright suspended 50 games for positive test for amphetamine.

WildcatFan
10-03-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39368648&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb
Gathright suspended 50 games for positive test for amphetamine.

Boy, he's just not very good at anything, is he?