PDA

View Full Version : USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3

WMR
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Can you believe it's already time to start the qualification process for another World Cup?

The United States will play a series of tune-up matches before qualifying begins. The first friendly will be this Saturday (May 26th) versus Scotland.

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Can you believe it's already time to start the qualification process for another World Cup?

The United States will play a series of tune-up matches before qualifying begins. The first friendly will be this Saturday (May 26th) versus Scotland.

Already have the DVR set up.

Hoosier Red
05-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Already have the DVR set up.

What channel is the game going to be on?

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Tomorrow night, Saturday, May 26 at 8 pm on NBCSports Network.

USA v. Brazil is May 30 at 8 pm on ESPN2.

BuckeyeRed27
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM

NBC Sports. It's Direct TV 603 if you have that.

They have done a great job with their MLS coverage so far this year.

I hope that Dempsey, Altidore, Gomez and Wondo can keep up their club form. All of those guys have been really scoring.

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone going to he US vs. Jamaica WCQ match on 9/11/12 at Columbus Crew Stadium?

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Looking at the groups for the semifinal round, I see the US and Jamaica progressing to the Hex out of Group A, Mexico and Costa Rica advancing from Group B, and the spots from Group C being up for grabs between Honduras, Panama, and Canada.

WMR
05-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Anyone going to he US vs. Jamaica WCQ match on 9/11/12 at Columbus Crew Stadium?

I'll be there fo sho.

MWM
05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I thought about going tomorrow night. It's been really hot and humid this week (a little early for that), but tomorrow night is supposed to rain pretty good, so it will be a wet one.

WMR
05-25-2012, 02:54 PM
If you've never been to a USMNT match (not sure about you specifically, MWM) I could not recommend it more.

I haven't missed a World Cup qualifier in Columbus in the last 3 cycles...

My favorite is when they schedule Mexico in Columbus in the winter/cold months. :D Columbus is probably the only site in the entire United States where we can actually schedule a match and have a true home field advantage versus Mexico.

BuckeyeRed27
05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
If you've never been to a USMNT match (not sure about you specifically, MWM) I could not recommend it more.

My favorite is when they schedule Mexico in Columbus in the winter/cold months. :D Columbus is probably the only site in the entire United States where we can actually schedule a match and have a true home field advantage versus Mexico.

I'd say that's true. I went to the Gold Cup Final at the Rose Bowl. I think I would have been safer walking through the streets of Juarez with a pound of cocaine strapped to my chest.

Yachtzee
05-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I'll be there fo sho.

I'm working on getting some friends to go. It's also the weekend I sell beer for the local Oktoberfest, but I'm going to see if I can get scheduled for one of the other days.

Yachtzee
05-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Do you think they'll do it again when the US meets them in the Hex? You know Mexico likes to schedule their home games at Azteca during the day in the middle of summer so that the US has to deal with heat AND altitude.

NJReds
05-26-2012, 08:36 PM
2-0 US in the 13th minute. Donovan scored the first. Bradley with a beauty for the second.

WMR
05-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Video game goal from Bradley... doubt he could hit it that perfectly again in a 100 tries.

WMR
05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Do you think they'll do it again when the US meets them in the Hex? You know Mexico likes to schedule their home games at Azteca during the day in the middle of summer so that the US has to deal with heat AND altitude.

I hope so, but the fact we're already getting Jamaica makes it a bit less likely.

NJReds
05-26-2012, 09:44 PM
4-1 US in the 66th ... Hat trick for Donovan.

Yachtzee
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
5-1 now. Scotland looks utterly defeated. Donovan is having an amazing game.

WMR
05-26-2012, 10:06 PM
This is the best the Nats have looked in a long time. The inventiveness in the final third is probably the best it has ever been for the USMNT now with Klinsmann dictating strategy.

The effect he has had on how this team plays is absolutely breathtaking. Such a stark comparison to the Robobob era, Klinsmann is going to maximize this team's capability.

NJReds
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
5-1 now. Scotland looks utterly defeated. Donovan is having an amazing game.

US looks confident and quick. Good ball movement ... Better off the ball movement.

5TimeWSChamps
05-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Yep, I'll be there. I live in Columbus and go to all the Crew matches. Last night was fantastic

WMR
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Brazil is going to be a real test. They are bringing in a young squad, 20 of their players are Olympic eligible. In other words, these are highly talented young players who play in top leagues around the world who will be playing balls-out to try to carve out a spot for themselves on the full national side.

I wonder if the US will try to play the same way they played against Scotland... they may need to pull back a little bit more, will be interesting to see Klinsi's strategy vs. what they did versus the Scots.

improbus
05-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Yep, I'll be there. I live in Columbus and go to all the Crew matches. Last night was fantastic
When do the tickets go on sale?

5TimeWSChamps
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
When do the tickets go on sale?

Not sure

LexRedsFan
05-29-2012, 01:14 AM

What about Portland? Seattle? Salt Lake City? I'd say we could get solid home field and crappy weather in those places.

Yachtzee
05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
What about Portland? Seattle? Salt Lake City? I'd say we could get solid home field and crappy weather in those places.

Salt Lake City maybe. Seattle and Portland would definitely have a good home crowd feel, but they don't have the weather. My brother lived in Seattle for a while and raved about how mild the winters were after having lived in Ohio and Chicago. It rains there in the winter, but it's often more of a mist than a real downpour. Seattle also has field turf instead of real grass. Chicago would have sufficient bad weather in February, but they also have a large Mexican immigrant community who would come out for the game, similar to New England. Cleveland or Pittsburgh would be good, but I don't know if their football stadiums are wide enough for soccer. Columbus is ideal because they get cold weather, a good home crowd, and the USMNT gets results there. However, as WMR said, they might not get another game that soon after hosting Jamaica.

LexRedsFan
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
However, as WMR said, they might not get another game that soon after hosting Jamaica.

That's most of the reason I was proposing other places. Nashville can be completely hit or miss with the weather, but definitely has a decent home crowd field and has hosted several matches in the past.

Yachtzee
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
That's most of the reason I was proposing other places. Nashville can be completely hit or miss with the weather, but definitely has a decent home crowd field and has hosted several matches in the past.

Too bad the Vikings are building a roof on their new stadium. The Twin Cities would seem rather inhospitable for a cold weather game. Maybe if they get an MLS team, they'll build a soccer specific stadium that would be a great option.

5TimeWSChamps
05-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Chicago should never host another USMNT match again. Last one there I think the crowd was 70% Honduras fans, 20% US fans, 10% empty seats

dougdirt
05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I am not a soccer guy, but I will watch the national team because I love my country and want to be better than everyone else. I will be tuning in in the next few minutes, hopefully it goes as well as last week did (I know, huge difference in competition..... but I can HOPE it happens).

WMR
05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Way to kill the game.... what a pos ref.

WMR
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
We might have found our left back for the next 10 years.

Yachtzee
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Way to kill the game.... what a pos ref.

No kidding. This looks like it could get ugly if the ref keeps inserting himself into the game. Cheap, very cheap penalty.

dougdirt
05-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, sorry for the jinx guy. I was kidding.

WMR
05-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Ref really didn't need to give the Brazilians any help. :rolleyes:

WMR
05-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Gooch has been very bad tonight. Definitely not first choice material right now (if ever again).

Yachtzee
05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Gooch has been very bad tonight. Definitely not first choice material right now (if ever again).

Was thinking the same thing.

WMR
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
What a massive goal right before the HT whistle. Should be 1-1 right now.

WMR
05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PxYQQoYfMtQ

NJReds
05-30-2012, 10:00 PM
4-1 Brazil. Looked like Bradley's squad.

Yachtzee
05-30-2012, 10:14 PM

I don't think so. They have some work to do, but they definitely did better at getting into position for goal opportunities. Central defense is an issue. I don't think Gooch is the man for the job. But there were some bright spots. I think the US has more options up front and don't have to rely on Donovan and Dempsey for all their goals.

WMR
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM

C'mon NJ, they didn't look like Bradley's squad at all, IMO.

I actually think Klinsi learned a bunch about his team tonight. Bet we see roster decisions moving forward informed by this result tonight. USA was dangerous ALL night long. Could rarely say that under Bradley. USA easily could have had 4 goals tonight. The D needs some changes, which we will see.

Onyewu plus Boca together in the middle is a fail.

WMR
05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Gomez played amazing tonight.

NJReds
05-30-2012, 10:46 PM
C'mon NJ, they didn't look like Bradley's squad at all, IMO.

I actually think Klinsi learned a bunch about his team tonight. Bet we see roster decisions moving forward informed by this result tonight. USA was dangerous ALL night long. Could rarely say that under Bradley. USA easily could have had 4 goals tonight. The D needs some changes, which we will see.

Onyewu plus Boca together in the middle is a fail.

Totally dominated in the first half. Yes, they created a couple chances late, but overall I'm not counting any moral victories in a 4-1 home loss to Brazil's Olympic team. Bradley's squad had its' moments, too. Beating Spain. But it lacked consistency. We'll find out a lot about this team in WC qualifications.

Yachtzee
05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Totally dominated in the first half. Yes, they created a couple chances late, but overall I'm not counting any moral victories in a 4-1 home loss to Brazil's Olympic team. Bradley's squad had its' moments, too. Beating Spain. But it lacked consistency. We'll find out a lot about this team in WC qualifications.

I think the difference is that we saw a US side constantly creating opportunities. A Bradley team would have bunkered down after the penalty and played long balls up to a lone striker to hold it up until Donovan and Dempsey could join the attack. Bradley was more of a "play not to lose and just run with them in hopes of getting a late goal" guy. Klinsi has the team building up through the midfield and has been working the corner backs into the attack. I think this was more of a learning experience to keep the team working on stuff that they'll need if they want to go far in the World Cup.

Hoosier Red
05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Remarkable how difficult a simple pass in the midfield looked at times. Numerous balls which weren't even contested on Sat looked like invitations to WIDE OPEN counter runs tonight.

NJReds
06-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Mexico beat the same Brazil squad today, 2-0.

US ties Canada, 0-0.

Was the Scotland game a mirage?

dougdirt
06-03-2012, 09:20 PM

US ties Canada, 0-0.

Maybe Scotland is just REALLY REALLY bad?

Yachtzee
06-03-2012, 09:37 PM

US ties Canada, 0-0.

I don't think Scotland was a mirage, but this game was definitely the worst of the three. No heart, no coordinate attack, overall sloppy play. Castillo was lucky the ref called a phantom foul to void the goal. What was he thinking? He should have just conceded a throw in. We teach 5 yr olds to never play it toward the box on defense. I hope Fabian Johnson gets better soon.

5TimeWSChamps
06-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Tonight was awful

WMR
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, they start counting for keepsies tonight. Antigua and Barbuda SHOULD be an easy victory, but @ Guatemala on Tuesday will be tough (as playing @ Guatemala always is).

Yachtzee
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, they start counting for keepsies tonight. Antigua and Barbuda SHOULD be an easy victory, but @ Guatemala on Tuesday will be tough (as playing @ Guatemala always is).

Would be nice if we could actually see the Guatemala game. The way CONCACAF handles tv rights stinks on ice.

WMR
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I will be posting a link to a stream in this thread.

LexRedsFan
06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Would be nice if we could actually see the Guatemala game. The way CONCACAF handles tv rights stinks on ice.

Pretty sure ESPN3 is broadcasting it online. EDIT: Just realized you said Guatemala, not A&B.

Yachtzee
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Pretty sure ESPN3 is broadcasting it online. EDIT: Just realized you said Guatemala, not A&B.

Yep. The US only controls home games. On the road we're at the mercy of the other country for showing the game. The Guatemalans seem to think they'll get more money from pay per view rather than licensing the rights to an American network.

BuckeyeRed27
06-08-2012, 03:43 PM
For the March to Qatar thread in a few years:
http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/article/Japan-wins-Australia-stumbles-in-WCup-qualifiers-3619824.php

Basically Australia played against Oman in a WC qualifer. It was 104 degrees and the ref had to stop the game twice in the first half for water breaks.
Nice job FIFA.

BuckeyeRed27
06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Pretty sloppy. Obviously I'll take the win, but that was uninspired for the most part.

Donovan and Gomez stood out. Gooch was awful.

Yachtzee
06-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Pretty sloppy. Obviously I'll take the win, but that was uninspired for the most part.

Donovan and Gomez stood out. Gooch was awful.

Weather may have been a factor. You're right about Gooch. If he can't handle Antigua and Barbuda's forwards, he doesn't need to be on the field.

Hoosier Red
06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Weather may have been a factor. You're right about Gooch. If he can't handle Antigua and Barbuda's forwards, he doesn't need to be on the field.

I thought the goal scored was a nice parting gift for Bocanegra as well, but I don't think we'll be that fortunate.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
It must be difficult to know how good your team is in this WCQ group. You have Mexico and the US....that is it. It's like if you were in Europe and you had Germany and Italy...and then Armenia, Belgium and Finland.

improbus
06-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Seeing Guisseppe Rossi on the Euro telecast mad me more furious that he chose to (not) play for Italy. Argh.

Yachtzee
06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
It must be difficult to know how good your team is in this WCQ group. You have Mexico and the US....that is it. It's like if you were in Europe and you had Germany and Italy...and then Armenia, Belgium and Finland.

More like Germany, Italy, the Faroe Islands, Andorra, and Luxembourg. CONCACAF is a confederation dominated by Caribbean microstates with populations smaller than your average US suburb. The fact that North and Central American countries, where all the strong teams are located, are shut out of CONCACAF leadership positions is appalling. I think many of the newly elected board members were guys accused of taking bribes from Qatar to support their bid for the World Cup over the US. FIFA president Blatter and disgraced former CONCACAF president Jack Warner were notorious for pumping millions of dollars into Caribbean federations, some of which don't even field national teams. That's how the crooks keep getting reelected and how Qatar gets a World Cup despite being a terrible place for a summer international soccer tournament.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
More like Germany, Italy, the Faroe Islands, Andorra, and Luxembourg. CONCACAF is a confederation dominated by Caribbean microstates with populations smaller than your average US suburb. The fact that North and Central American countries, where all the strong teams are located, are shut out of CONCACAF leadership positions is appalling. I think many of the newly elected board members were guys accused of taking bribes from Qatar to support their bid for the World Cup over the US. FIFA president Blatter and disgraced former CONCACAF president Jack Warner were notorious for pumping millions of dollars into Caribbean federations, some of which don't even field national teams. That's how the crooks keep getting reelected and how Qatar gets a World Cup despite being a terrible place for a summer international soccer tournament.

Maybe US, Mexico, Canada, Honduras, El Salvador....can leave CONCAF and go to SA.....and play the WCQ they have. Those are brutal but they would revert back to Groups....just like Europe, when 20? new countries all of a sudden came into being and they had to turn into 2 teams and the Washington Generals like Groups for Europe Qualification.

Australia left the Oceanic Soccer Federation......as they were not being challenged by Fiji and such.

Yachtzee
06-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe US, Mexico, Canada, Honduras, El Salvador....can leave CONCAF and go to SA.....and play the WCQ they have. Those are brutal but they would revert back to Groups....just like Europe, when 20? new countries all of a sudden came into being and they had to turn into 2 teams and the Washington Generals like Groups for Europe Qualification.

Australia left the Oceanic Soccer Federation......as they were not being challenged by Fiji and such.

Some have proposed that. Another idea is to treat the Caribbean as a single entity and force them to join together as one team, much like the West Indies in cricket. Won't happen though, as long as Sepp Blatter runs FIFA.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Some have proposed that. Another idea is to treat the Caribbean as a single entity and force them to join together as one team, much like the West Indies in cricket. Won't happen though, as long as Sepp Blatter runs FIFA.

What does he get in return? Free resort in Sandals Jamaica for life?

I think 1966 was the last time Jamaica came close to qualifying for a WC.

NJReds
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Jamaica was in the 1998 WC, and I think they won a game, but didn't advance.

They beat Guatemala in their first qualification game.

Point well taken, though. There are some very weak sides in CONCACAF.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Jamaica was in the 1998 WC, and I think they won a game, but didn't advance.

They beat Guatemala in their first qualification game.

Point well taken, though. There are some very weak sides in CONCACAF.

Thanks for the clarification. They at least went there......and as an Uruguayan.... it shows how bad my country of origin was most of the 90's when they could not even go that year or in 1994....but Jamaica could.

Yachtzee
06-10-2012, 09:14 PM

He gets some 25-30 guaranteed votes when he runs for reelection. The Caribbean Football Union has 30 members, including 3 South American countries. Many of its members are overseas territories of other countries, like France, the Netherlands, the UK and the US, and since the inhabitants have citizenship for the parent country, the best players end up on the French or Dutch national teams. Really they only exist as votes for
CONCACAF and FIFA power brokers. I just read that the CFU put together a West Indies XI in the early '90s, but then President Jack Warner put an end to it, feeling the Caribbean was stronger as separate members than as one unit. So basically, it's more important for them to have political power within FIFA than to work together to field a competitive team.

NJReds
06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification. They at least went there......and as an Uruguayan.... it shows how bad my country of origin was most of the 90's when they could not even go that year or in 1994....but Jamaica could.

If Uruguay was in CONCACAF, they'd be in every WC. Which goes back to your original point.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
If Uruguay was in CONCACAF, they'd be in every WC. Which goes back to your original point.

Touche' :laugh:

WMR
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Seeing Guisseppe Rossi on the Euro telecast mad me more furious that he chose to (not) play for Italy. Argh.

I'd like to know who thought it was a good idea to have that little turd on the broadcast. He should stay in Italy.

5TimeWSChamps
06-11-2012, 07:18 AM
It's quite sad that the best performance the USMNT have had the past 2 weeks was a 4-1 loss to Brazil.

I wish Jurgen would play a 4-4-1-1- or 4-2-3-1 with Dempsey playing behind a central striker, whether it be Boyd or Altidore.

5TimeWSChamps
06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
thefirstrow.eu should have a live stream to tonight's match

5TimeWSChamps
06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Very underwhelming again.

0-0, 35th minute

paintmered
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Gooooal Dempsey!

5TimeWSChamps
06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Ugh, you saw that equalizer coming

OUReds
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not going to cry about getting a point at Guatemala, but the US have to look better playing with the lead.

Also, Altidore isn't going to win back the starting spot playing like that. Twice he stopped his run and was left staring at balls in the box that he should have at least been close to.

BuckeyeRed27
06-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm not going to cry about getting a point at Guatemala, but the US have to look better playing with the lead.

Also, Altidore isn't going to win back the starting spot playing like that. Twice he stopped his run and was left staring at balls in the box that he should have at least been close to.

What was the deal with the disallowed goal?

WMR
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Dumbass ref didn't play the advantage.

Jozy looked slow and lazy. If he ran hard, Bradley would have found him for a goal with that nice square ball.

Very poor from Landon Donovan.

Klinsmann worked them too hard over this camp. The whole squad was dragging ass 2/3 of the 2nd half.

Yachtzee
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Dumbass ref didn't play the advantage.

Jozy looked slow and lazy. If he ran hard, Bradley would have found him for a goal with that nice square ball.

Very poor from Landon Donovan.

Klinsmann worked them too hard over this camp. The whole squad was dragging ass 2/3 of the 2nd half.

With regard to the ref, did it look like there was any home cooking? I didn't get to see the game, but from past experience, I've felt that refs tend to be more sympathetic to the home team when we play away games to the south.

OUReds
06-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Just one man's opinion, but other then that gaff, the refs had a good game.

5TimeWSChamps
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
So the US just scored to take the lead at the Azteca

5TimeWSChamps
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I know it's only a friendly, but this is the only USMNT thread I remembered, haha

paintmered
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Four minutes away from their first win at Azteca.

reds1869
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
YES!!!!!!

paintmered
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
And there it is! The losing streak is finally over!

dougdirt
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Tim Howard is pretty good.

WMR
08-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I worry for the USA fans in attendance. Mexico are poor losers.

WMR
08-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Ian Darke ‏@IanDarkeESPN
Showered with beer by angry Mexican fans as USA win at Azteca for first time I think it was beer anyway.

BuckeyeRed27
08-15-2012, 11:38 PM
That was awesome! I mean it was totally ugly and we in no way deserved to win....but we did! Woooo!

Australian Red
08-16-2012, 06:41 PM
What does USMNT stand for?

Any one planning on going to Brazil for the World Cup?

I'm thinking about it depending on $$$. I went to South Africa one of the best experiences of my life

IslandRed
08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
USMNT = U.S. Men's National Team.

Yachtzee
08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Awesome! I hope they keep up the momentum through qualifying.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Anyone else going to be in Crew Stadium on Tuesday?

I am seriously pumped. Hopefully we get off on the right foot tonight in the away leg.

WMR
09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
The tv for this network is only on some network called Bein.

Here's a link; http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/64/v-446435.html

BuckeyeRed27
09-07-2012, 07:34 PM
The tv for this network is only on some network called Bein.

Here's a link; http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/64/v-446435.html

It's channel 620 on DirecTV, but is part of the sports package. I belive it just launched and is basically AlJazerra (sp?) Sports and is really focused on soccer.

Little surprised to see Dempsey start tonight, but happy he is since Bradley and Donovan are out.

WMR
09-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Pretty poor first half after early goal.

Beckerman is garbage. Too many dmids.

WMR
09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
USA looks turrible, down a goal.

WMR
09-07-2012, 10:01 PM
USA loses to Jamaica. No heart, no effort, absolute **** tactics...

if they don't win in Cbus now, they probably don't qualify for WC 2014.

BuckeyeRed27
09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
USA looks like turrible, down a goal.

Wow that was bad. No attack in the 2nd half. No urgency. That was a deserved result. Hope we show up in Columbus next week.

5TimeWSChamps
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Ill be at Crew Stadium Tuesday

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yachtzee
09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
As expected, Jamaica is parking the bus. I just hope the US can break through with a couple goals in the second half.

NJReds
09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
As expected, Jamaica is parking the bus. I just hope the US can break through with a couple goals in the second half.

They better. Guatemala won today, and currently has 7 points along w/Jamaica. The US has 4 pending tonight's result.

NJReds
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Herculez! 1-0. Beautiful free kick.

Yachtzee
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice win to put the US back on track. The best part was that my six year old watched most of the game with me and got fired up when Gomez scored. Usually my kids complain and want to watch cartoons, so it was great having one of them finally show an interest in watching sports with me.

BuckeyeRed27
09-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Solid and much needed win. The first half passing was night and day compared to what happened on Friday. Should have won by 2 or 3, but I'll take it.

Really nice games from Zusi and Cameron. Cameron is going to be a starter from here out, but I hope Klinsmans finds roome for Zusi as well.

5TimeWSChamps
09-12-2012, 06:46 AM
One of the best sporting events I've ever been to live.

5TimeWSChamps
09-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Tim Howard: "We were talking inside and there’s no bigger homefield advantage for us in America than here." #USMNT

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hoosier Red
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I renew my request for the TV networks to pick up my idea of having Tim Howard screaming expletives at his back line and just loop it for 30 mins.

They could even branch out and have Tim go into real life situations and scream at people. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON REDSZONE AGAIN!?! GET BACK TO WORK!"

I have no idea why it amuses me so much, but every time they cut to him screaming at a defender, a little part of me smiles.

Hoosier Red
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Long piece but interesting take on the evolution of USMNT tactics.

http://whatahowler.tumblr.com/post/31313126129/what-is-american-soccer

BuckeyeRed27
09-12-2012, 05:35 PM
One of the best sporting events I've ever been to live.

It looked really good on TV. It's good to see Crew Stadium rocking like that. Wish it would get more like that when the Crew were playing.

Yachtzee
09-12-2012, 06:28 PM
It looked really good on TV. It's good to see Crew Stadium rocking like that. Wish it would get more like that when the Crew were playing.

It was pretty awesome on tv. Crew Stadium seems to bring out the best in the team and the fans. I remember the games being pretty high intensity for the Crew when Guillermo Barrow Schelotto and Frankie Hejduk were leading them to the MLS Cup. Looks like adding Federico Higuan is bringing some of that excitement back.

BuckeyeRed27
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/8/3474852/usa-roster-world-cup-qualifiers-usmnt

Interesting roster choices. No Jozy, Boyd or Wondo. Call ups for Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon. Landon was called up despite being hurt Saturday night. I'm hoping he is fine since I don't he would have been called up if he isn't going to play.

thatcoolguy_22
10-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Doesn't look good for Landon...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/10/09/landon-donovan-brek-shea.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a13&eref=sihp

Landon Donovan will not play for the U.S. national team in a pair of upcoming World Cup qualifying matches because of an injured left knee, adding to what will be a pressure-filled few days for the Americans.

Caveat Emperor
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
No sugar coating it -- just some terrible football from the USMNT tonight in an International Friendly w/ Canada.

dougdirt
01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
No sugar coating it -- just some terrible football from the USMNT tonight in an International Friendly w/ Canada.

Maybe that is the problem. They showed up playing football when they should have been playing soccer.

OldRightHander
01-29-2013, 11:48 PM
I watched most of the first half and didn't care much for what I was seeing so I changed the channel. Was the rest of the game as poor as the first half?

Caveat Emperor
01-30-2013, 08:06 AM
I watched most of the first half and didn't care much for what I was seeing so I changed the channel. Was the rest of the game as poor as the first half?

Just about -- sloppy touches from the American side against a Canadian team that was stacking defenders and clearly playing for the 0-0 result. Lots of just dumb (taking on multiple defenders off the dribble instead of trying to find space) and generally uninspired play.

I know it's just a friendly, but this didn't look like a team ready for qualifying.

bucksfan2
01-30-2013, 08:40 AM
I know it's just a friendly, but this didn't look like a team ready for qualifying.

Sure, but what happens to the team when you add Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Howard, etc. Its easy to be critical of that game, the first half was awful soccer, but don't you have to take into consideration that it was their B team.

BuckeyeRed27
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Sure, but what happens to the team when you add Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Howard, etc. Its easy to be critical of that game, the first half was awful soccer, but don't you have to take into consideration that it was their B team.

Exactly. This was far from our top team. It would be nice if we had more depth and could go out and still beat Canada 3-0 with our back ups, but apparently we don't. Gonzalez and Besler are the only two guys on the field that have any hope of making an 18 in WCQ and neither are likely starters.

WMR
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
That roster was so weak, I will refrain from making any overarching judgments.

Lack of offense has been a concern throughout the JK era, however.

bucksfan2
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM

I have noticed that in most of the big games/tournaments, its defense and the middle fielders who dominate. If JK is focusing on the defensive end to eliminate the slow starts and give away goals I would be happy as a fan.

Now the US may not have the world class midfielders that have dominated over the past tournaments, but I can see the focus on D.

WMR
01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I have noticed that in most of the big games/tournaments, its defense and the middle fielders who dominate. If JK is focusing on the defensive end to eliminate the slow starts and give away goals I would be happy as a fan.

Now the US may not have the world class midfielders that have dominated over the past tournaments, but I can see the focus on D.

US has always struggled to create quality chances, it's nothing new.

Bunkerball is almost always a bad decision in international soccer, IMO. It either: 1) allows an inferior team to hang around and steal a result late or 2) allows a superior team to basically play around with your squad and net a few goals at their leisure.

Taking it to the other team, as much as your team is capable, is almost always the best strategy.

Sort of similar to how often teams ending up losing in football when they go to a prevent defense.

BuckeyeRed27
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Several guys have been scoring a lot for their clubs, so hopefully that translates over to the National Team. Altidore has been in fantastic form and Gomez ended really strong in Mexico last season. Neither guy is Messi, but combined with better midfield play from guys like Bradley and Dempsey should help the offense.

Hoosier Red
01-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Bunkerball is almost always a bad decision in international soccer, IMO. It either: 1) allows an inferior team to hang around and steal a result late or 2) allows a superior team to basically play around with your squad and net a few goals at their leisure.

Taking it to the other team, as much as your team is capable, is almost always the best strategy.

Sort of similar to how often teams ending up losing in football when they go to a prevent defense.

I agree. Wasn't this the(a) criticism of Bob Bradley, they were usually well organized defensively but had no creativity or rhythm offensively?

BuckeyeRed27
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
First qualifer is today in Honduras at the super convienent time of 4PM EST on beIn Sports. Hope we can get this started off with 3 points on the road, but I'm guessing this will be more like a 1-1 tie. A lot of these guys played this past weekend and then flew a long way to play a game in 90 degree heat and humdity.

WMR
02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Garbage. This team may just miss the World Cup for the first time since 1986...

WMR
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM

It's shocking how bad the defense was on that last goal.

Crap from Howard and utter crap from both central defenders.

Klinsmann has done a terrible job blending the new talent into this team. Waiting until WORLD CUP QUALIFYING to "blend" players was absolutely idiotic.

LexRedsFan
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
That was a dreadful performance.

I'm concerned about our ability to qualify.

BuckeyeRed27
02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Didn't get to watch, but I was afraid of that happening. We should still have no problem qualifying since that is likely the 3rd hardest game we have to play, but still would have been better to get a point out of it. It's never easy.

WMR
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I have seen zero from this team or Klinsmann that makes me believe they'll have "no trouble" qualifying.

Hopefully Costa Rica won't beat us at home next game.

Joseph
02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Anytime I see the thread title I think of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, TMNT. :)

Yachtzee
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
First qualifer is today in Honduras at the super convienent time of 4PM EST on beIn Sports. Hope we can get this started off with 3 points on the road, but I'm guessing this will be more like a 1-1 tie. A lot of these guys played this past weekend and then flew a long way to play a game in 90 degree heat and humdity.

Didn't get to see it because it was on the elusive beIN Sport. Hmm. Interesting how USMNT road games, whose broadcast rights are owned by the home team's federation, are showing up on beIN, owned by the Qataris. Coincidence?

I've been hearing that beIN's huge payouts for tv rights to various soccer leagues and competitions are part of the quid-pro-quos promised in exchange for voting Qatar over the US for the 2022 World Cup. France Football, the paper that awards the Ballon d'Or for the top international footballer of the year, published details about the Qataris' dealings with the French President and UEFA President Michel Platini in order to secure French support for their bid. Note that since the vote the Qataris paid big money for Paris St. Germain and Ligue 1 tv rights, among other things.

BuckeyeRed27
02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Wow Jamaica just hung on to tie Mexico 0-0 in Mexico City. Honestly they should have won. Honduras was the only team able to get 3 points today. I guess that's your silver lining US fans.

Caveat Emperor
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
I know they still get a point out of it, but that's a brutal result for Mexico playing in Azteca.

texasdave
02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
This is not really related to the World Cup qualifying that is taking place. Where do you think Messi ranks among the all-time greats? If he does at all? I am not familiar enough with the sport to have any clue. Each time I watch him on television he seems a cut above the players around him.

Red Heeler
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, thanks to the wonders of the DVR, I watched Barca vs Real Madrid immediately prior to watching this match. What a drop off in quality of play.

The strategy of the CONCACAF against the US seems to be: play on the smallest, crappiest field you can get away with. The US lacks quality of passing and first touch.

5TimeWSChamps
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
http://m.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2013/02/09/report-us-mexico-qualifier-will-be-played-columbus

HELL. YES.

BuckeyeRed27
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
http://m.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2013/02/09/report-us-mexico-qualifier-will-be-played-columbus

HELL. YES.

I'm shocked it isn't at the Rose Bowl ;)

WMR
02-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I'LL BE THERE. :thumbup:

WMR
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I've been there for 01, 05, and 09 vs Mexico...

I think I've seen the USMNT play like 12 times now or something.

5TimeWSChamps
02-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I'll be there also. Cannot wait

WMR
02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Getting two WCQ's at the same host site in a single cycle is something you almost never see.

Columbus really is probably the only spot in the USA where we can have a home field advantage versus El Tri.

Caveat Emperor
02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
In Ohio, of all places.

bucksfan2
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Just throwing this out there. Every other country uses their home field advantage to the tee. When US lost to Honduras they played on a terrible field in a dangerous city in high humidity. Mexico plays most of their big games in elevation at Estadio Azteca. Why doesn't the US do that? They have one of the biggest advantages in the world being able to train in altitude (Denver) while also playing in high humidity (Florida) but they really don't use that to their advantage. If I were them I would play every game in Denver (or Salt Lake) and then against Mexico I would bring them to New England or the Pacific North West.

Hoosier Red
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Just throwing this out there. Every other country uses their home field advantage to the tee. When US lost to Honduras they played on a terrible field in a dangerous city in high humidity. Mexico plays most of their big games in elevation at Estadio Azteca. Why doesn't the US do that? They have one of the biggest advantages in the world being able to train in altitude (Denver) while also playing in high humidity (Florida) but they really don't use that to their advantage. If I were them I would play every game in Denver (or Salt Lake) and then against Mexico I would bring them to New England or the Pacific North West.

I think in general, the US feels like they should qualify without resorting to such tactics, and that it's more important to spread the games around the country in order to grow it. I think we have seen them move away from playing a lot of home games in big cities like New York, LA, and Chicago in order to keep from putting the game where there are likely to be a lot of opposing fans.

Tony Cloninger
02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I think in general, the US feels like they should qualify without resorting to such tactics, and that it's more important to spread the games around the country in order to grow it. I think we have seen them move away from playing a lot of home games in big cities like New York, LA, and Chicago in order to keep from putting the game where there are likely to be a lot of opposing fans.

Which is why the joke of the SA WCQ...by allowing for Bolivia and Ecuador to play in really high altitudes, makes it criminal to me. Ecuador is always either Top 3...or in the race only based on their home field advantage and Bolivia would probably not get a point if it had to play at normal levels.

Yachtzee
02-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Because playing games at altitude doesn't really help when many of the Central American teams also play at altitude. Really the best bet is to play the most important games in cities where you know you'll have a home field advantage regardless of weather conditions. Of course, weather doesn't hurt, as the USMNT made Mexico play in Columbus in February the last WCQ cycle. Playing Mexico in large cities on the coasts or in the South just takes away the home field advantage because they have larger populations of Mexican descent. I say, keep playing Mexico in Columbus and keep those 2-0 scorelines coming.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2013, 03:51 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-03-19/jurgen-klinsmann-us-mens-soccer-coach-national-team-usa-american-world-cup-2013

This article is long, but it's a pretty harsh look at Klinsmann's methods and strategy (or, if you believe the unnamed sources being quoted, complete lack thereof).

reds1869
03-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Well that was fun. :)

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=intl:1385189

dougdirt
03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't know. I could barely see what was going on. Who schedules a game in Colorado in March?

Caveat Emperor
03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
The US was lucky to get the early score, because the field conditions made the game unplayable in the second half.

Still, 3 points is the 3 points. Hopefully they can at least score a draw in Azteca this week, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yachtzee
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't know. I could barely see what was going on. Who schedules a game in Colorado in March?

The US does it because it gives us a bigger home field advantage against our southern neighbors, just as Mexico likes to force us to play in Azteca during the day when we draw them for a summer match. I'd also point out that most European countries not only have WCQs this time of year, but also league play, Champions League and Europa League in full swing. Playing in Colorado this time of year is no different than playing in Vienna, Warsaw, or Moscow. Just because the MLS plays a summer schedule doesn't mean it's a warm weather sport. The vast majority of Northern Hemisphere leagues play a Fall to Spring schedule and take the Summer off.

HotCorner
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I read an article regarding the Costa Rican protest of this match (can't find it) which stated that the US scheduled to play this match at a high altitude site in preparation for the upcoming match in Mexico City.

thatcoolguy_22
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I read an article regarding the Costa Rican protest of this match (can't find it) which stated that the US scheduled to play this match at a high altitude site in preparation for the upcoming match in Mexico City.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1385907/costa-rica-to-file-protest-on-snowy-loss-to-united-states?cc=5901

Gulati said the U.S. chose to play the game in Colorado in preparation for the altitude in Tuesday's game in Mexico City, and not to put its Central American opponent at a disadvantage with uncomfortable weather.

Mexico City is about a half-mile higher above sea level than the mile-high conditions around Denver.

"If the thought is that we want to play Costa Rica in a situation where it could snow, then there are some places that maybe could have been better, like Boston or somewhere," Gulati said, according to Reuters.

Big win and I hope the result stands. A draw or better in Mexico City tuesday would be huge.

reds1869
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
The Costa Rican protest is more than laughable. Get back to us when your fans stop throwing urine, coins and batteries, Ticos.

improbus
03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Bring on the Azteca!

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm absolutely expecting an "L" tonight -- getting out with 1 point would be fantastic.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm absolutely expecting an "L" tonight -- getting out with 1 point would be fantastic.

USA puts it together and wins 2-1. Goals by Altidore and Gonzalez.

WMR
03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Considering our recent form, I'll be amazed if we can even get a draw. Here's hoping!

NJReds
03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Considering our recent form, I'll be amazed if we can even get a draw. Here's hoping!

Mexico isn't in good form either. Tie at home to Jamaica and blow a 2-0 lead to Honduras.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Interesting line up. Besler starting at center back with Gonzlez. Welcome to the fire kids.

reds1869
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Nice to see ESPN giving serious coverage to this match.

5TimeWSChamps
03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
We're gonna get ripped.

4-1

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Nice to see ESPN giving serious coverage to this match.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time a non-World Cup game received this much pre-game coverage. Pretty cool.

And yes, the US side is going to get rolled in this game.

I'm guessing 3-0.

improbus
03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
US has been really sloppy.

improbus
03-26-2013, 10:55 PM
The pitch looks terrible.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Horrid first half from the US side. They're lucky the match is scoreless.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Horrid first half from the US side. They're lucky the match is scoreless.

That was far from a horrid first half. It wasn't great, but the defense held its shape well and there was some decent possession after Mexico looked very dangerous in the middle of the half. Mexico was the better side for most of that half but are starting to look a little gassed.

Yachtzee
03-27-2013, 12:25 AM
A point at Azteca? I'll take it. :)

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2013, 12:25 AM
That's a fantastic result. About as much as you could expect down there.

Yachtzee
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
The Mexicans are going to complain about the non-calls on two potential penalties. While they probably should have been penalties, I'm not going to lose sleep, having seen so many games with th US at Azteca where Mexico got all the favorable calls.

WMR
03-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Suck it, Mex!

WMR
03-27-2013, 12:55 AM
I especially loved all the crying and poor sportsmanship at the end. Vintage mexico! :lol: :laugh:

Slyder
03-27-2013, 02:25 AM
The Mexicans are going to complain about the non-calls on two potential penalties. While they probably should have been penalties, I'm not going to lose sleep, having seen so many games with th US at Azteca where Mexico got all the favorable calls.

The first one would have been one of the most absolutely weakest pks I have even seen. You don't call that, I don't care what level. Period. The 2nd one meh you might have a case but to rely on that instead of putting one of 15 corner kicks or a number of other set plays in the back of the net AT HOME is childish.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm beyond upset I didn't think enough during the match to make at least 1 "Oh, S...Omar comin'!" joke somewhere.

Omar Gonzalez was MOTM for the US. I can't wait to see him develop on the squad moving forward.

BuckeyeRed27
03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm beyond upset I didn't think enough during the match to make at least 1 "Oh, S...Omar comin'!" joke somewhere.

Omar Gonzalez was MOTM for the US. I can't wait to see him develop on the squad moving forward.

Absolutely. Omar was a beast last night. You knew how good he was when the Galaxy couldn't win a game without him and then turned into MLS champions when he came back.

The 2nd half no call on Edu in the box was a missed call for sure and I would have been pretty upset had the situation been reversed, but you can't rely on those types of calls to win the game.

reds1869
03-27-2013, 05:15 PM
I teach a lot of Mexican students. Needless to say they all wanted my opinion on the match. I engaged in mucho smiling.

M2
03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Absolutely. Omar was a beast last night. You knew how good he was when the Galaxy couldn't win a game without him and then turned into MLS champions when he came back.

And the Gals turned from horrible to top team in the league immediately after drafting him too. Gonzalez is like a one-man wall. Mexico's grousing about unawarded penalties because scoring from the run of play wasn't really on the table.

One thing that should be noted about the U.S. is that the team's 4-2-3-1 has become too much of a 4-5-1. It's great that the defense played so well the past two games, but it would be nice to see the team play less defense.

bucksfan2
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
So this Omar Gonzalez are there any rumors about him going to Europe to play?

Also how does the Mexican league compare to the MLS? and to European leagues?

M2
03-28-2013, 11:03 AM
So this Omar Gonzalez are there any rumors about him going to Europe to play?

Also how does the Mexican league compare to the MLS? and to European leagues?

Wouldn't surprise me if Gonzalez moves to Europe next winter, ideally to Germany or Spain and not the EPL.

Mexico's a superior league to MLS. Hard to compare it to Euro leagues, but it's probably as good as the Dutch league (fewer high quality imports, but deeper in homegrown talent).

Hoosier Red
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
And the Gals turned from horrible to top team in the league immediately after drafting him too. Gonzalez is like a one-man wall. Mexico's grousing about unawarded penalties because scoring from the run of play wasn't really on the table.

One thing that should be noted about the U.S. is that the team's 4-2-3-1 has become too much of a 4-5-1. It's great that the defense played so well the past two games, but it would be nice to see the team play less defense.

That's a good point. One problem it always seems like the US faces is unlucky allocation in its best players.
For year's it's seemed like the US has had two or three keepers who could play at the top level, but of course you can only play one at a time.

Similarly, it seems like Jones and Bradley all are good enough to contribute, but basically are redundant.
Ideally, I'd think it would be great to devote more resources to offense and play something like 4-1-3-2 with Bradley/Jones as the main defensive midfielder. But because they both play, and they both seem to be defensive midfielders, it seems to limit the offense a bit.

Of course the fact that they're both(or one and Edu) are both necessary shows that maybe one couldn't play particularly well by himself. It would be great to trade a keeper and a defensive midfielder for a true offensive talent.

M2
03-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I've got a feeling the next big thing is going to be the return of forwards. 4-1-3-2 seems like a sensible evolutionary step.

Hoosier Red
03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
I've got a feeling the next big thing is going to be the return of forwards. 4-1-3-2 seems like a sensible evolutionary step.

But the question then is can Bradley or Jones play in a more offensive oriented role? And can the US maintain enough defense if only one of them is really playing the defensive midfielder role?

Yachtzee
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I was thinking about the lineup in the wake of Bocanegra getting dropped and Gonzalez and Besler getting more playing time. It could turn out to be a brilliant move on Klinsman's part if Gonzalez and Besler are able to gel into a stalwart defensive middle for Brazil 2014. Bocanegra isn't getting any younger and seeing how they played against Mexico, Gonzalez and Besler could be really good. Then, if they have the defensive back line solved, Klinsman can have the freedom to go with fewer defensive-minded midfielders and throw more players into the attack.

BuckeyeRed27
03-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I was thinking about the lineup in the wake of Bocanegra getting dropped and Gonzalez and Besler getting more playing time. It could turn out to be a brilliant move on Klinsman's part if Gonzalez and Besler are able to gel into a stalwart defensive middle for Brazil 2014. Bocanegra isn't getting any younger and seeing how they played against Mexico, Gonzalez and Besler could be really good. Then, if they have the defensive back line solved, Klinsman can have the freedom to go with fewer defensive-minded midfielders and throw more players into the attack.

It's a long way from the World Cup and health has been an obvious issue recently for this team, but I think you can certainly count on guys like Donovan and Chandler who have been missing. Also guys like Holden (if he can ever stay healthy) and young guys like Boyd will hopefully be able to work their way in. The team that played Mexico wasn't close to a full strength squad and happened to be a little more defensive focused.

M2
03-28-2013, 08:18 PM
But the question then is can Bradley or Jones play in a more offensive oriented role? And can the US maintain enough defense if only one of them is really playing the defensive midfielder role?

My guess would be that one them (Jones) wouldn't start if Klinsmann went to that formation.

Yachtzee
03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
It's a long way from the World Cup and health has been an obvious issue recently for this team, but I think you can certainly count on guys like Donovan and Chandler who have been missing. Also guys like Holden (if he can ever stay healthy) and young guys like Boyd will hopefully be able to work their way in. The team that played Mexico wasn't close to a full strength squad and happened to be a little more defensive focused.

True it wasn't a full strength squad. I actually think it's good because it got some guys without a lot of caps in there and the fact that they were able to get a result in hostile territory hopefully gives them confidence they can build on. What I'm hoping that translates to is depth down the road, such that when a player gets injured or has poor form, they have experienced players who can step in without having to change formation too much to avoid having a weaker or inexperienced player get exposed. In the past, such situations have lead the US to resort to bunkering at times. My hope is that Klinsman knows what he's doing and is trying to get them beyond that. Of course, he doesn't seem to be good at communicating his plans, so we're kind of left to speculation.

bucksfan2
03-29-2013, 08:25 AM

I read an article that basically said that Donovan wasn't fully buying into Klinsman's system. He has been pretty coy about when he is going to return to the team. I wonder if they just aren't better off cutting ties with him. He was the face of American soccer for a decade now but I wonder his effectiveness and how much he wants to play.

improbus
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
I read an article that basically said that Donovan wasn't fully buying into Klinsman's system. He has been pretty coy about when he is going to return to the team. I wonder if they just aren't better off cutting ties with him. He was the face of American soccer for a decade now but I wonder his effectiveness and how much he wants to play.

Donovan has proven to be kind of flighty throughout his career, particularly in club ball. But, the USMNT really missed his playmaking and pressure against Mexico. They didn't make the Mexican back line work, and they didn't force the Mexican midfielders worry about the US midfield. Donovan can do both of those things.

WMR
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
They need Donovan desperately. No one in the pool comes close to providing what he does.

Caveat Emperor
03-29-2013, 10:27 AM
They need Donovan desperately. No one in the pool comes close to providing what he does.

Yup. They need someone who can be dynamic with the ball in the final third to help create scoring opportunities.

The problem Donovan won't solve is the generally poor quality of service on passes into the attack for the American side. You watch the upper-level international teams play, and there is a precision to the passing (and first touch off the pass) that is lacking for the Americans. The international game moves too fast for teams to overcome bad touches or passes that don't find their targets quickly.

NJReds
03-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Yup. They need someone who can be dynamic with the ball in the final third to help create scoring opportunities.

The problem Donovan won't solve is the generally poor quality of service on passes into the attack for the American side. You watch the upper-level international teams play, and there is a precision to the passing (and first touch off the pass) that is lacking for the Americans. The international game moves too fast for teams to overcome bad touches or passes that don't find their targets quickly.

Bradley is getting close. He's been efficient as a center mid for AS Roma. But he's also passing to players who know how to move without the ball to find open spaces in the defense.

improbus
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
One thing I've noticed about the USMNT (and MLS) over the years: Our defenders are usually good at stopping the opposing attackers, but they are not very good at moving the ball up to the holding midfielders. They do WAY too many long clearances that the opposition tends to win.

improbus
03-30-2013, 08:54 AM
I just heard that the national team will play Belgium in May. That is really exciting, because Belgium might be a top ten team in the world. They have some superb talent.
Eden Hazard
Dembele
Fellaini
Vertonghen
Lukaku
Vermaelen
Kompany

That is a massive back line.

5TimeWSChamps
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I just heard that the national team will play Belgium in May. That is really exciting, because Belgium might be a top ten team in the world. They have some superb talent.
Eden Hazard
Dembele
Fellaini
Vertonghen
Lukaku
Vermaelen
Kompany

That is a massive back line.

Rumor is that match is in Cleveland

improbus
03-30-2013, 07:39 PM

That is correct. At least according to Ian Darke, and I believe any and everything Sir Ian says.

5TimeWSChamps
03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Debating going up for it, I love this Belgium team. You didn't even mention

Benteke
Witzel
De Bruyne

They are absolutely stacked.

Yachtzee
03-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Definitely have to get tickets for me and the boys if true. Not often that they play in my backyard.

M2
03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Debating going up for it, I love this Belgium team. You didn't even mention

Benteke
Witzel
De Bruyne

They are absolutely stacked.

Or

Van Buyten
Mirallas
Defour
Lukaku
Alderweireld
Courtois

Amazing how much talent is flowing out of Belgium these days.

Yachtzee
04-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Bought my tickets today.

BuckeyeRed27
05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Roster out for the next set of games.

I think leaving off Donovan is a huge mistake. Donovan isn't 100% yet, but he is already better than Brad Davis and some of the other mids. He is also one of the only mids that plays wide.

Rest of the roster looks to be fine. Holden's call up is more for the Gold Cup probably, but I hope he can make it back, he's one of my favorites.

Hoosier Red
05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
You may be proven correct, but I'd say there's definitely a little value in the team learning to play without Donovan.
When/If he comes back to the US team, he should be a part of the team and not be responsible for all the responsibilities he has been forced to shoulder over the past 8+ years or so.

I've always thought part of the problem with the US is that Donovan was the best player. This isn't to diminish his skills, I believe that he'd be a starter on pretty much any national team(minus maybe the absolute top of the top) but when he's the best player on the team, it shows how far the US was behind. When he's not only the best player, but pretty much designated the sole playmaker, as he was too often in Bradley's tenure, then it becomes far too easy for good and elite squads to shut the US down.

BuckeyeRed27
05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
The US just waffling out there.....

Pretty ugly and worse undisciplined from the US tonight. Didn't move the ball well. Didn't anticipate anything. Terrible to embarrassing defense at times. I know it's a friendly and they haven't played together for a while and some guys are missing, but ugh.

bucksfan2
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
The US just waffling out there.....

Pretty ugly and worse undisciplined from the US tonight. Didn't move the ball well. Didn't anticipate anything. Terrible to embarrassing defense at times. I know it's a friendly and they haven't played together for a while and some guys are missing, but ugh.

I caught about 20 minutes of the game. And granted my comparisons are the EPL as well as the most recent Champions League games. But the US team looked awful. They didn't control the ball well, they didn't possess the ball well, they didn't pass the ball well, they didn't move well without the ball. It looked like the first touch on a lot of the balls were poor and caused a loss of possession. Hopefully it will get better when they play more and get some of their better players in the lineup, but when guys like Altidore and Dempsey fail to make an impact your going to have problems.

reds1869
05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
The US has a lot of work to do if they want to challenge for a spot among the elite. The roster is extremely thin and the coaching is suspect.

WMR
05-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Unfortunately, the only conclusion to this point is that the Klinsmann experiment has been a complete failure.

Apparently Low was the true genius, just like we all feared.

Klinsmann shows a poor eye towards tactics and an equally poor eye towards roster development and player selection.

A complete misfire.

Caveat Emperor
05-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Poor first touches and lack of possession-play has been a problem that has plagued the US side for decades throughout multiple regimes at the top.

At what point do you recognize that there's a deeper problem with how we develop talent in this country beyond just who is running the USMNT?

WMR
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Poor first touches and lack of possession-play has been a problem that has plagued the US side for decades throughout multiple regimes at the top.

At what point do you recognize that there's a deeper problem with how we develop talent in this country beyond just who is running the USMNT?

This squad is severely underperforming.

The US needs a complete overhaul of our youth system, but the previous point stands.

BuckeyeRed27
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
This squad is severely underperforming.

The US needs a complete overhaul of our youth system, but the previous point stands.

That is certainly a long term need, but isn't going to help us for 2014.

I think a big issue now is that no one has any idea what the starting 11 is. It changes so often for a variety of reasons and there is very little consistency and I think that really showed on the field on Wednesday. The back four didn't have any idea what the others were doing and in the attack their were turnovers and hesitation for the same reason. Maybe that was just a first game back together thing and it will work itself out, but at this point I would hope there would be a better idea about who we are starting and what everyone's role is on the team.

Slyder
05-31-2013, 02:13 PM

Soccer is starting to get the athletes that previous generations would have been reserved for football, basketball, or baseball but in many leagues its parents coaching and they don't know the first thing about soccer coaching and very few camps or clinics for the parents/coaches and that puts many kids in the US behind when they start getting closer to middle school and high school.

Please note these are my own opinions of youth soccer.

Here locally we anchor development/understanding of players by playing these small sided fields where anyone with any sort of coordination can kick it from end to end, lose out of playing midfield, lose out on the concept of moving the defense up, and stick way too many kids on a team. I have lost track of the number of times I show up and at least 1 if not both teams have enough players to make 2 teams and just sub everyone at once. If you are going to do that lets extend the field and let more kids play at all times (adding 15 yds in length & 5 yds in width, and play 8 on 8 rather than 6 on 6 with 6 subs).

MWM
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
LMAO

Hoosier Red
06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Pretty solid first half vs. Germany. As concerned as I was the other night, I feel pretty good about half of the US lineup.

Bradley and Jones/Edu will play in some Midfield version. Dempsey and Altidore will play in an offensive role.

Beasley has played at well at LB as anyone not named Fabian Johnson so one of them starts at that spot. If it's Beasley, Johnson is in the mix for left wing.

That leaves basically the rest of the back line and the right wing/forward position. No problem right?

dougdirt
06-02-2013, 05:00 PM
We are the best in the world!

Yachtzee
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
The biggest problem right now is consistency. Some games they play like world beaters and then they lay an egg. I was disappointed with the result against Belgium and I'm not putting too much stock in a win against Germany's B team. But then in friendlies, that's the time to try out new things. I'm more focused on how they do in games that count. That being said, I hope I don't see Beasley on the pitch for much longer.

Hoosier Red
06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
The biggest problem right now is consistency. Some games they play like world beaters and then they lay an egg. I was disappointed with the result against Belgium and I'm not putting too much stock in a win against Germany's B team. But then in friendlies, that's the time to try out new things. I'm more focused on how they do in games that count. That being said, I hope I don't see Beasley on the pitch for much longer.

I didn't see the second half, but I had gotten the impression he had played reasonably well?

In any event, it seems more likely that Castillo will play LB anyway.

bucksfan2
06-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Soccer is starting to get the athletes that previous generations would have been reserved for football, basketball, or baseball but in many leagues its parents coaching and they don't know the first thing about soccer coaching and very few camps or clinics for the parents/coaches and that puts many kids in the US behind when they start getting closer to middle school and high school.

Here locally we anchor development/understanding of players by playing these small sided fields where anyone with any sort of coordination can kick it from end to end, lose out of playing midfield, lose out on the concept of moving the defense up, and stick way too many kids on a team. I have lost track of the number of times I show up and at least 1 if not both teams have enough players to make 2 teams and just sub everyone at once. If you are going to do that lets extend the field and let more kids play at all times (adding 15 yds in length & 5 yds in width, and play 8 on 8 rather than 6 on 6 with 6 subs).

I understand that development is very important in churning out soccer players. But I think the massive problem is the number of players, or lack thereof, playing in Europe. If you look at most of the best national teams they are full of European players. I think when half of your team is playing in the MLS you will see sloppy play because you can get away with it. You can get away with sloppy first touches because the opposing players aren't there to take advantage of it.

IMO the better competition you play against the better you get. The more pressing basic fundamental skill become because you can't get away with mistakes. I realize that US Soccer has a huge obligation to MLS, but if you want to put the best team on the field you need to make a more pressing effort to get as many players in Europe as possible.

IslandRed
06-03-2013, 12:24 PM

Can't disagree with most of that, but that's a predictable and unavoidable byproduct of a simple fact: there aren't all that many grownups in the U.S. who grew up playing soccer at a high level and know how to teach it accordingly.

I'll point at myself here. When my daughter was four, we signed her up for youth soccer. At that point, I knew the basic rules of the game and had watched World Cup, but otherwise knew little about the game. I was talked into coaching, basically for the simple fact that they were short of coaches (of any caliber) and if someone didn't take a team, a bunch of kids were going to end up waitlisted.

I'll give myself a little credit and say I think I did a pretty good job at U6 and U8 (after the initial begging-for-advice stage). As good as a lifelong player would have? Probably not. But then, I didn't coach anyone who looked destined to be the next Alex Morgan, so I don't think I did any damage to the ecosystem. Nonetheless, a lot more youth soccer coaches are like me than like... well, someone who knows how to get a six-year-old to understand the kind of things you were talking about.

Australian Red
06-06-2013, 07:07 PM
It's not the USMNT but heading to see the Soccerroos play Jordan on Tuesday night (our time) need to win to keep our hopes alive for Brazil. Been a shocking qualifying campaign. In this stage we are 1 W 4 D 1 L.

WMR
06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Get some pics PLEASE, Aussie red!

Slyder
06-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Can't disagree with most of that, but that's a predictable and unavoidable byproduct of a simple fact: there aren't all that many grownups in the U.S. who grew up playing soccer at a high level and know how to teach it accordingly.

I'll point at myself here. When my daughter was four, we signed her up for youth soccer. At that point, I knew the basic rules of the game and had watched World Cup, but otherwise knew little about the game. I was talked into coaching, basically for the simple fact that they were short of coaches (of any caliber) and if someone didn't take a team, a bunch of kids were going to end up waitlisted.

I'll give myself a little credit and say I think I did a pretty good job at U6 and U8 (after the initial begging-for-advice stage). As good as a lifelong player would have? Probably not. But then, I didn't coach anyone who looked destined to be the next Alex Morgan, so I don't think I did any damage to the ecosystem. Nonetheless, a lot more youth soccer coaches are like me than like... well, someone who knows how to get a six-year-old to understand the kind of things you were talking about.

I applaud you for stepping up and doing it. My major complaint is with the leagues and federation not giving people that opportunity to try and learn from someone or have videos to help explain things so that people have a better understanding of the rules. I've lost track of the number of times that I've heard parents (while reffing) say they learned more by just watching me than they had the rest of the year.

Also the leagues need to find some way to keep teams at managable numbers or ensure more kids are able to play at one time. No more of this 6 on 6 with each team having 12 kids. That hurts the time they are on the field. If you're going to have 12 kids on the team play 8 on 8 on a bigger field, more kids get to play, few kids sit the bench to not pay attention to the game, and you still should have plenty of subs when someone is tired.

BuckeyeRed27
06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
It's not the USMNT but heading to see the Soccerroos play Jordan on Tuesday night (our time) need to win to keep our hopes alive for Brazil. Been a shocking qualifying campaign. In this stage we are 1 W 4 D 1 L.

I missed the last two games because I was in Sydney and Melbourne. Watched the Japan game in Sydney with a friend. Brutal. Best of luck to the Socerroos though, had a great time down under.

Tony Cloninger
06-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Are they lacking in quality for any reason in this WCQ? I remember them well in 2006.....how they beast my country of origin, Uruguay in the playoff...after Uruguay beat them in 2002. Uruguay had Forlan out with injury and their best defender Pablo Montero went out early in the 2nd leg...but Australia showed how much they improved after 2002, and Uruguay had some arrogance to them that they thought the WC place.....was owed to them, instead of won.

Australian Red
06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Are they lacking in quality for any reason in this WCQ? I remember them well in 2006.....how they beast my country of origin, Uruguay in the playoff...after Uruguay beat them in 2002. Uruguay had Forlan out with injury and their best defender Pablo Montero went out early in the 2nd leg...but Australia showed how much they improved after 2002, and Uruguay had some arrogance to them that they thought the WC place.....was owed to them, instead of won.

Oh what a night that was, i still watch that penality shoot out every now and again, Schwarzer who is still our #1 at 40 pulled off 2 brilliant saves in that shoot out to break our 32 year drought....still get tingles thinking about it.

That was probably a golden age for Australian Football, we had good players around their peak playing for top clubs around europe. Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka, Neil, Cullina, Aloisi, Lazaridis, Emerton, Moore, Grella, Chipperfield. Of the players that are still around Bresciano, Cahill and Neil are all 34 and not playing in as high a standard now days. The players we now have are no where near the same quality and most of with play in lesser leagues or in the A-league.

In 2006 we did very well in Germany, we made the last 16 and only lost to a 90th minute Pen to eventual winners Italy even tho Italy were down to 10 men and we were all over them.

Tony Cloninger
06-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh what a night that was, i still watch that penality shoot out every now and again, Schwarzer who is still our #1 at 40 pulled off 2 brilliant saves in that shoot out to break our 32 year drought....still get tingles thinking about it.

That was probably a golden age for Australian Football, we had good players around their peak playing for top clubs around europe. Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka, Neil, Cullina, Aloisi, Lazaridis, Emerton, Moore, Grella, Chipperfield. Of the players that are still around Bresciano, Cahill and Neil are all 34 and not playing in as high a standard now days. The players we now have are no where near the same quality and most of with play in lesser leagues or in the A-league.

In 2006 we did very well in Germany, we made the last 16 and only lost to a 90th minute Pen to eventual winners Italy even tho Italy were down to 10 men and we were all over them.

Tough when you think your country has turned the corner and is ready to dole out fresh replacements....to at least keep you relevant.

It is amazing how some of these countries....can have B teams that are better than most A teams.

The only thing I can take from the recent bad form of my country these last 2 years...after their record 15th Copa America.... is that their U-17 and U-20 teams have made the WC 3 years in a row...which no one in SA has done. Even Brazil and Argentina did not make the U-20 WC this year. That has never happened.

Australian Red
06-11-2013, 06:49 PM
One down one to go! Beat Jordan 4 nil, in a pretty clincal display. Was a great crowd of 43,000 for a cold Tuesday night. Play Iraq next Tuesday a win and we are in to the WC a draw and we are relient on results.

Yachtzee
06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Watching Mexico-Costa Rica, Mexican fans hit Brian Ruiz with objects while trying to take a corner. At some point, FIFA needs to step in and make Mexico play in an empty stadium.

Yachtzee
06-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Wow. Another draw at home for Mexico.

Yachtzee
06-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Altidore scores!

WMR
06-12-2013, 12:07 AM
They look much, much better. Please, some consistency now.

WMR
06-12-2013, 12:08 AM
El Tri always keeps it classy. :lol:

Would be so delicious if they somehow managed to not qualify.

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Did I imagine it, or did the US actually look like they had some imagination in the final third?

WMR
06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Seattle crowd is amazing. As good as any noisy passionate venue in Europe.

Yachtzee
06-12-2013, 12:26 AM

Great energy from the fans, but the pitch is a joke. They should seriously consider building a soccer-specific venue with a permanent grass field.

WMR
06-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Hope Altidore stays in form, we need him hot at the World Cup.

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2013, 12:39 AM

I'd like to see what kind of crowd Seattle could pull with no restrictions on ticket sales.

I'd also love to see a WCQ at Jeld-Wen in Portland too -- the environment for games there see s fantastic as well.

Australian Red
06-12-2013, 01:07 AM
I'd like to see what kind of crowd Seattle could pull with no restrictions on ticket sales.

I'd also love to see a WCQ at Jeld-Wen in Portland too -- the environment for games there see s fantastic as well.

Seeing Seattle and Portland in the MLS is what raised my interest in the MLS. Both appear to have a great set of Ultras.

Yachtzee
06-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Seeing Seattle and Portland in the MLS is what raised my interest in the MLS. Both appear to have a great set of Ultras.

Portland's Timber Army is definitely top notch. Columbus' Nordecke and Chicago's Section 8 are noteworthy as well. In the last decade, many MLS teams have moved away from marketing solely to the "soccer mom" crowd and have done more to encourage the supporters groups in a positive way. I know Columbus' front office has annual meetings with supporters' groups to discuss ways in which the supporters' groups can do their thing while making sure things like safety are addressed. They actually seek input from the groups, which is different from other sports, where the front office dictates rules for fan behavior from above.

Yachtzee
06-12-2013, 04:27 PM

They might pull a bigger crowd, but I think, at least for now, limiting tickets actually helped keep the crowd concentrated, which helps focus the chants of the American Outlaws supporters and maybe even draws in fans who aren't part of the group into the chants. It's the same effect when they play in smaller venues like Columbus. The USSF has gotten smarter about where they play. They used to just schedule games at the places where they could sell the most tickets. But the problems were that the US supporters had trouble being heard and they had a lot of folks from the immigrant communities buying up seats and rooting for the other team (not unlike Cubs and Steeler fans). Now they seem to strategically schedule games in places where they feel the fans can create a home field advantage.

I would agree that Portland would be a good place for a WCQ. However, I do like that they tend to schedule the US-Mexico games in Columbus. Now if I could just get tickets.

Raisor
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm not going to read the whole thread so if this joke has already been made, deal with it.

When I saw the subject line I couldn't believe (wait for it) that there was such a long thread about the teenaged mutant ninja turtles

fielder's choice
06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Hope Altidore stays in form, we need him hot at the World Cup.

He's what 23? He is about to explode. Awesome talent and athlete and is beginning to put it all together.

Australian Red
06-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Australia made the world cup last night but did it tough. Needed a win last night at home v Iraq and waited until the 83min to get a winner. Great night tho and now 3 world cups in a row.

reds1869
06-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Glad Australia made it in. The US all but clinched a spot this evening, too.

thatcoolguy_22
06-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Congrats to the Aussies! A fan since the 06 cup and the Italy game.

However heres a write-up (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130619/u-s-soccer-jozy-altidore-honduras-world-cup-qualifier/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp) on Jozy following his 4th goal in 4 games.

I watched most of the game yesterday but fell asleep just after the goal (working a long run of nights is brutal and staying up an extra 3 hours after you get off to watch the game doesn't help matters...) But the US looked good. A lot of creative builds that started lightning fast. Zusi is going to be a stud in Brazil. I like his play and one touch passing. Kid sees the entire field and played physical when he had to. Anyone else know anything about his game? It was the first time I was able to watch our home team play in awhile. Just curious on anyone elses thoughts.

BuckeyeRed27
06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Last night was a solid game. Honduras packed it in and the US missed a few chances to break that open. Similar to the last game though, there was a lot more creativity in passing and some good chances. I think I prefer to have Cameron playing next to Bradley instead of Jones. It was good to see Zusi settle down in the second half.

Overall you can't complain about 9 points and being top of the group. They took care of business and didn't look too bad doing it most of the time.

bucksfan2
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
I watched most of the 2nd half and here are my thoughts.

I really like Michael Bradley as a midfielder. He solidifies the team and plays like a true midfielder.

Geoff Cameron is probably one of the top 5 players on the US team yet can't find the field. There needs to be a way the US can get him on the field more, much more.

Brad Evans seems like the weakest link. I was shocked he has played most of the past 2 games. Does the US team really not have a better answer?

Jozy is a beast!

LexRedsFan
06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Agreed on Jones. He just scares the crap out of me.

BuckeyeRed27
06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Brad Evans seems like the weakest link. I was shocked he has played most of the past 2 games. Does the US team really not have a better answer?

Evans has filled in ok, but I think against better competition and strikers would have been exposed. I don't think Evans will be a starter once we get the WC or even the next round of qualifers. Chandler is going to start and I think you could possibly see Johson or even Cherundolo on the other side.

bucksfan2
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Evans has filled in ok, but I think against better competition and strikers would have been exposed. I don't think Evans will be a starter once we get the WC or even the next round of qualifers. Chandler is going to start and I think you could possibly see Johson or even Cherundolo on the other side.

Gotcha. I forgot about Cherundolo since he has been absent from the team.

I guess what I notice is from time to time the US team is sloppy especially with their first touches. There were several times last night that didn't matter because they really weren't being pressured. It seems as if that plagues Evans quite a bit and as a defender that spells trouble.

It may be my rudimentary soccer knowledge but too often there are situations deep in the US zone when they try to make too much of a play instead of clearing the ball. For a team that tends to be sloppy that can lead to good shots for the opponent.

RedTeamGo!
06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Altidore disappears against European/South American/Mexican teams. I am happy about what he is doing, but I will not be excited about his play until he does it against good competition.