PDA

View Full Version : The maturation of Homer Bailey

SidneySlicker
05-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I just want to say what a wonderful time it's been this season watching Homer put things together. He appears to have come to the realization that it's not all about how hard you throw, but it's about changing speeds and have solid offspeed pitches as well. He's been throwing some nasty breaking balls that are simply locking hitters up. While it appears he's living in the 92-93 range with his fastball, he can still dial it up to 95-96 when needed.

Sometimes as young adults we think we know more than those coaches working with us, but it I think he's really latching on to the coaching that he's getting and it's showing in his results.

We've all seen the potential there and I think that's why his struggles have been so frustrating. There will still be struggles here and there as every pitcher has an off night every now and then, but it looks like Homer has finally turned the corner.

herbdizzle
05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Homer has looked quite impressive in his last several starts pitching against legitimate power lineups. As the season has progressed he has mixed in more curveballs and offspeed throughout the game to keep hitters off balance and allow for more K's and groundballs. In a couple of early starts he was having problems punching out hitters after getting ahead with 2 strikes because he was reliant solely on his fastball as his out pitch. The adjustment has showed much greater results and hopefully he continues through the summer. Let's not jinx Homer as he still hasn't pitched healthy at a high level for an entire year. But if he does this year the Reds' ceiling goes that much higher.

New York Red
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
It seems like Bailey is experiencing the same maturation process that Cueto had. Cueto has gone from a thrower to a pitcher. Each year he's been with the Reds his K/9 number has dropped, but each year he has become a better pitcher. Now he's one of the best pitchers in the league. While it's a much smaller sample size thus far, it seems the same thing is happening with Bailey. It's very encouraging.

Who Dey Time
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
I think most forget that Bailey is just 26 years old. His has progressed in each of the last 3 seasons, despite the concerns of some.

What has impressed me the most about this season with him is his ability to not allow the big hit or big inning to snowball into disaster. For example, last night he gives up the home run to Bourn in the 5th but comes back in the 6th and shuts down the heart of the Braves order. That doesn't happen with him in seasons past.

I know this, there are a LOT of teams that would want to have Homer Bailey as a #2 or #3 starter and he's our #4/#5. The Reds rotation is a solid as there is in the NL.

alett12
05-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm still not sold on Homer having turned the corner, he did this last year to an extent as well if he can keep going similar to this for the rest of the year and he can stay off the DL I'll believe it but i won't until that point.

takealeake
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
When I saw this title I thought it said something else. :eek:

trush44
05-25-2012, 02:54 PM

2 letters can make a world of difference! :lol:

The Rage
05-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Bailey had rotator cuff problems the last 2 years. Hard to know what he really is. It usually takes 2 months to get his battery charged and get into a groove. Injuries really set him back.

alett12
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Bailey had rotator cuff problems the last 2 years. Hard to know what he really is. It usually takes 2 months to get his battery charged and get into a groove. Injuries really set him back.

True he did pitch almost exactly like this last year though correct?

jhiller21
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM

All starters do something to shake off the nerves before a game...

The Rage
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
True he did pitch almost exactly like this last year though correct?

No. His fastball was much duller. Even in August/September when he got his slider to a level that it still has not reached this year yet, he wasn't great like he should have been with a top slider. He just had games his fastball was just to weak.

I think his delivery is much more fluid and precise this year. His fastball is more quicker and "carrying" him some while he gets the house in order.

Ironman92
05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
He's improved a little especially avoiding the big inning.

It is unacceptable if he does not reach double digit wins and 170+ innings.

alett12
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
If he can go 170+ i'll be happy with that even more so if he can do it with out hitting the DL.

UPRedsFan
05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Trying not to get too worked up over a complete game against the pirates. Because he always does well against the pirates it seems. Let's see what he does next time out.

Moosie52
05-30-2012, 09:26 AM
I was shocked that Homer was the one throwing shaving cream pies at Mike Leake and Mat Latos (I think it was him) the other night. That's not something I ever expected to see. Homer never seemed comfortable enough around his teammates in past seasons. Maybe he's finally home with this team.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I was shocked that Homer was the one throwing shaving cream pies at Mike Leake and Mat Latos (I think it was him) the other night. That's not something I ever expected to see. Homer never seemed comfortable enough around his teammates in past seasons. Maybe he's finally home with this team.

I agree. Maybe the huge expectations wore on him. Seems like he has just put that all to the side and has decided to enjoy life and play some ball.

Expectations can get heavy.

mound_patrol
05-30-2012, 10:19 AM
I loved watching Bailey last night. He trusted his stuff and attacked the strike zone. The stuff has always been there. His problem is that at times he nibbles too much and gets behind in counts. Bailey is at his best when he's in control of the account.

Helms1
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Me thinks he figured out the blessings found in the lower 1/3 of the zone.

Assembly Hall
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Is this the same Homer Bailey that so many thought should be taken out of the rotation after a month? Why yes it is. I dont expect Homer to be the next coming of Roger Clemens or John Smoltz. I want Homer to be Homer. And I like what I am seeing. He is showing he can pitch and just not throw. He is feeling comfortable on the mound, and did he even break a sweat last night?

jfleur87
05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Last night was fun to watch. I've had my Sig imploring Homer for who knows how long and I think it still holds true. Granted, it was the Pirates, but he's been getting better all year. I look forward to Homer's starts more than anyone else on the staff for some reason

fielder's choice
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Homer may end up being the ace of this staff. He's starting to realize his potential and it's fun to watch.

SidneySlicker
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
I think Homer is finally embracing the fact that some dare I say much of pitching is a mental mindgame. It's out thinking the hitter. I think as home came up in the minors as much young pitchers do, fell in love with blowing guys away with the smoke. When he got to the majors and coulding do that anymore it became more of a mental game and some pitchers "get it" and some don't and won't.

It appears Homer is finally getting it. That pitching to contact isn't the end of the world. That the fastball has it's place and importance, but doesn't make a pitcher. What I see from Homer now more than ever is focus. Focus on the mental aspect of pitching and focus on executing his pitches. He's finally embracing what it takes to be a pitcher rather than a thrower.

Assembly Hall
05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Homer may end up being the ace of this staff. He's starting to realize his potential and it's fun to watch.

To be honest. I hope you are wrong. I hope Homer ends up being "1" of the aces on the staff. Bailey, Cueto, Leake, Latos, and Chapman. Dont sound to bad to me.:beerme:

fielder's choice
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Works for me, LOL. We could potentially have one very scary staff.

BluegrassRedleg
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Trying not to get too worked up over a complete game against the pirates. Because he always does well against the pirates it seems. Let's see what he does next time out.

He's had QS in something like 8 of 10 starts now. This isn't a "Settle down, it was the Pirates" deal. He's really putting things together as a solid, reliable starter.

smixsell
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Homer's split finger fastball has made him NASTY. If he is able to continue to throw that pitch with the same movement and command he has had the past few starts we might just have TWO bona fide aces on the staff by season's end. :beerme:

AintlifeGrande
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
I think him and Mes are developing a good battery .Homer just seems to click with him catching.

redssince75
05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I know this, there are a LOT of teams that would want to have Homer Bailey as a #2 or #3 starter and he's our #4/#5. The Reds rotation is a solid as there is in the NL.

Who says he's a 4 or 5? Just because he pitches right before Cueto doesn't make him the 5. I would say if we had a current order, it would be

1 Cueto
2 Latos
3 Bailey
4 Leake
5 Arroyo

alett12
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Ok statement retracted about the last spot in the playoff rotation, it goes to homer

Kingspoint
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
To those who wanted to jettison Bailey and not give him this season to prove himself, who said, "He's proven who he is already",....

:p

Just another reason to prove that Walt Jockety knows what he's doing.

Kingspoint
05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
And, the same goes for Mike Leake.

Don't measure Mike Leake on what he does this season or last, but what he'll do the next three seasons as he matures.