PDA

View Full Version : Nate McClouth -- Wha' Happen'?

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
The Pirates DFA'ed him today. He seemed like a rising star back in '07-'09 -- a great combination of OB skills, power, and speed. 2010 started badly for him, and then he got a concussion, and since then he's been a shadow of his former self.

Plus Plus
05-25-2012, 03:18 PM
For as done as McLouth looks, he still has a .335 career OBP, .344 OBP last year, and a .205 BABIP so far this year. If he ends up getting outright released, he could be a good reclamation project for AAA or as a bat off the bench; he couldn't be worse than what we already have on the bench, could he?

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
For as done as McLouth looks, he still has a .335 career OBP, .344 OBP last year, and a .205 BABIP so far this year. If he ends up getting outright released, he could be a good reclamation project for AAA or as a bat off the bench; he couldn't be worse than what we already have on the bench, could he?

I was thinking the same thing. He posted a respectable .743 OPS vs RHP last season. Wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up and stash away at AAA.

Team Clark
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
A better option than Joey Gathright? :lol::lol: I chide, I chide. :thumbup:

Plus Plus
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He posted a respectable .743 OPS vs RHP last season. Wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up and stash away at AAA.

...or have off of the bench instead of Costanzo, who sadly looks just overmatched at the dish right now.

McLouth can also play defense, which apparently Costanzo cannot do since he hasn't appeared in the field in any game so far.

reds1869
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
I'd take a chance if he is outrighted.

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
If the *Pirates* get rid of you, you're probably done.

thatcoolguy_22
05-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I've always been a fan of McClouth. His uncle plays 2B on my company softball team. I would like to see him at Lou to work out his kinks. Definitely better than Gathright. That move reaks.

oregonred
05-25-2012, 03:57 PM
The real question is can he OPS better than the .483 cumulative for the Reds leadoff hitters in 2012? Can we get crazy around here and maybe get the OPS to the high 5's of Juan Castro fame?

Scrap Irony
05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd like to sign him to AAA. I'd even be okay with dealing either Heisey or Stubbs as part of a package for a cleanup 3B or LF and having McLouth as the fourth OF.

Joseph
05-25-2012, 05:37 PM
This guy needs some time with a hitting guru. Bring him to Louisville for a while.

RedlegJake
05-26-2012, 03:43 AM
I'd grab him quick if he became available. If you take Gathright you have to take McLouth. Whew! I held my nose when they signed Gathright. He is terrible. Saw enough of him in KC.

mth123
05-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I'd grab him quick if he became available. If you take Gathright you have to take McLouth. Whew! I held my nose when they signed Gathright. He is terrible. Saw enough of him in KC.

Especially when you look at the AAA OF right now. Its obvious Walt is trying to dumpster dive for a LH OF with Gathright, Daryl Jones, Felix Perez, Danny Dorn, Bill Rhinehart and Willie Harris. None are hitting much. May as well add McClouth. See if they can get one of these guys hot and call him up.

traderumor
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
This guy needs some time with a hitting guru. Bring him to Louisville for a while.Maybe he should go drink whatever's in the water in Toronto. Well, except he's never played third base.

Blitz Dorsey
05-26-2012, 04:31 PM
If the *Pirates* get rid of you, you're probably done.

I think many of us (myself included) used similar logic when Alfredo Simon was claimed by the Reds. "If the Orioles get rid of you, you must stink."

Course, the Pirates aren't 12 games over .500 like the O's (which is incredible to me, but I digress...) but I still remember saying the same thing about Simon. He can't be any good. The O's cut him!

REDREAD
05-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Well, he did OPS 743 vs RH pitching last year..

That's encouraging. I actually wouldn't mind trading a minor nonprospect for Mcclouth. Then get rid of Constanzo and put McClouth on the roster as the 5th OF.

With Valdez and Cario on the bench, it really doesn't make any sense to have Constanzo on the roster.

15fan
05-27-2012, 06:47 AM
I watched him underwhelm for 3 seasons in Atlanta.

Pass.

Gallen5862
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nate McLouth On Release Waivers
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 31 at 2:36pm CST]
The Pirates have placed outfielder Nate McLouth on release waivers, Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports (on Twitter). If McLouth clears waivers he'll be granted his unconditional release and hit free agency.

The Pirates designated McLouth for assignment six days ago following a disappointing encore in Pittsburgh. McLouth signed a one-year, $1.75MM deal with the Pirates this past offseason after spending two and a half years in Atlanta. The 30-year-old posted a .385 OPS in 62 plate appearances back in Pittsburgh.