PDA

View Full Version : 6 year / 85.5 million extension for Adam Jones....

_Sir_Charles_
05-27-2012, 01:48 AM
He's having a good year and he's been very solid the past few seasons. Doesn't this feel a bit like overpaying though? Maybe it's just me.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7975367/source-baltimore-orioles-announce-adam-jones-extension-sunday

RedsManRick
05-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Why do teams keep signing players at the peak of their value. It's almost predictable. Young player starts to have a "breakout year", team throws money at him. Jones isn't really much this year than in the the past, just having some nice HR/FB luck. Sure, he's a good player and it makes sense to lock him up, but teams should start doing this before the guys price doubles.

FlightRick
05-27-2012, 03:37 AM
With the caveat that everything I know about Orioles' players comes from what I learned trying to be the best Fantasy Baseball manager I can be, I don't think this will be a massive overpay by the franchise. In fact, if Jones brings marketing/intangibles to the table that I don't know about, it could be just about the smartest move they could make.

That said, if we judge this deal based on what we (I) know as Reds' fans, my kneejerk reaction is "neener neener, we got Bruce for 6y/$51m." They aren't exactly comparable players, but have some similarities; neither will hit for average, but both have a bit of speed, and are plus defenders. Differences: Bruce has way more power and his defense is related to his arm, Jones has the far superior glove/range.

Again: advantage Reds, right? So given the prism through which we (I) view this, I agree that this seems like a bit of an overpay by the O's.

Rick

membengal
05-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Remember how giddy everyone around here was when the Reds ponied up for Bruce?

And how ponying up for Votto meant that the Reds were apparently willing to do what it took to win?

Signing Jones has the same significance for the Orioles franchise.

_Sir_Charles_
05-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Another head-scratcher. Miguel Montero, 5 years / 60 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7975824/miguel-montero-signs-60-million-contract-arizona-diamondbacks