PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/28

chicoruiz
05-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Reds:

Bill Doran (54) -A Cincinnati kid and a fan favorite wherever he played. Probably the best Astro 2B in history not named Biggio...His son is named after Nolan Ryan.

Rafael Landestoy (59) -Another ex-Astro. A Red in the early '80s, by which time he had almost completely stopped hitting.

Willard Hershberger -A tragic story; most of you know it, but for those who don't: His father, who like Willard was subject to bouts of severe depression, committed suicide in 1940 with Willard's hunting rifle; Willard blamed himself for leaving the rifle where his father had easy access to it. Then after an injury to Ernie Lombardi forced Hersh into the regular catching job, he started blaming himself for losses. As yu all probably know, he eventually committed suicide; the only major league player to take his own life during the season. Ironically, Lombardi in turn blamed himself for missing time with an injury and forcing Hershberger into a role he wasn't emotionally equipped to handle.

Jim Thorpe -A Red in 1917. Surprisingly he never stole a lot of bases in his career.

Others:

Kirk Gibson (55) -Probably the greatest player of all time never to be named to an All-Star Game...Before his famous 1988 World Series home run, he was listening to Vin Scully's call on the radio, and when Scully kept saying that there was no way Gibson could possibly play, he used that as motivation to get up and head for the batting cage to start loosening up.

Frank Saucier (86) -Remembered in baseball history as the only man to have a midget pinch-hit for him. He took it all with good humor. His baseball career never did blossom, but he did eventually do well in the oil business and become vice-president of a bank.

mth123
05-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Reds:

Bill Doran (54) -A Cincinnati kid and a fan favorite wherever he played. Probably the best Astro 2B in history not named Biggio...His son is named after Nolan Ryan.

Joe Morgan???

chicoruiz
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Joe Morgan???

I know...It seems weird, and that line was taken from another source, but if you look strictly at what they accomplished as Astros it's actually pretty close.

Big Klu
05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Vin Scully was actually broadcasting on TV for NBC during the 1988 World Series. But I remember Scully repeatedly saying that Gibson was unavailable.

The radio broadcaster was Jack Buck on CBS Radio.

05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Landestoy was traded for John Franco at the end of spring training I believe 1984. That lead to Randy Myers and then Bip Roberts. Second best Reds trade thread in my lifetime, second only to Paul Moskau traded for Wayne Krenchicki, traded for Norm Charlron, traded for Kevin Mitchell.

Big Klu
05-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Landestoy was traded for John Franco at the end of spring training I believe 1984. That lead to Randy Myers and then Bip Roberts. Second best Reds trade thread in my lifetime, second only to Paul Moskau traded for Wayne Krenchicki, traded for Norm Charlron, traded for Kevin Mitchell.

Another good one is Dan Wilson, who eventually landed the Reds both Bronson Arroyo and Scott Rolen.

Dan Wilson traded to the Mariners for Bret Boone. Traded to the Braves for Denny Neagle. Traded to the Yankees for Drew Henson. Traded to the Yankees for Wily Mo Peņa. Traded to the Red Sox for Bronson Arroyo.

Wilson traded to the Mariners for Boone. Traded to the Braves for Rob Bell. Traded to the Rangers for Edwin Encarnacion. Traded to the Blue Jays for Scott Rolen.

Edd Roush
05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
How do you win the NL MVP award but not get named to the All-Star team? That's amazing.

oneupper
05-29-2012, 09:56 AM
How do you win the NL MVP award but not get named to the All-Star team? That's amazing.

Wiki says he was named in '85 and '88 and declined to go. I frankly don't remember.

Bob Borkowski
05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Reds:

Bill Doran (54) -His son is named after Nolan Ryan.

So, I am wondering if Bill's son's name is Nolan Doran or is it Ryan Doran? Sorry, that's just the way my mind works. :)