PDA

View Full Version : Build a better bench

Tom Servo
05-28-2012, 04:55 PM
So we tried Willie Harris and that didn't work. Costanzo isn't any better, and Wilson Valdez is useless with a bat. So putting aside acquiring an everyday type of player, what guys on the fringe or perhaps on the outs due to roster crunch with another organization would you look to acquire? I'd drop Costanzo and try to find at least a guy who can catch up to ML pitching and play solid D, like a Sean Burroughs or Ryan Langerhans. Valdez pretty much needs to go too.

reds44
05-28-2012, 04:57 PM
I remember when I liked Valdez because he wasn't Janish.

I want Janish back.

mth123
05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Mark Kotsay.

Truthfully though, Frazier and Heisey should make this team's bench strong but when you take solid bench guys and make them starters you get low OBPs who are exposed in the line-up and a weak bench to boot.

RedlegJake
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
mth has a valid point. When you have a 4th outfielder and a utility infielder playing starting roles everything just weakens downhill from there. Heisey and Frazier would be tremendous in their proper roles.

Rojo
05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Truthfully though, Frazier and Heisey should make this team's bench strong but when you take solid bench guys and make them starters you get low OBPs who are exposed in the line-up and a weak bench to boot.

Yeah. You couldn't ask for a better fourth OF/pinch hitter than Heisey. As a starter.....meh.

Harris gets picked on but I can see taking a flyer on him. It's Ludwick that didn't make much sense -- we already had our share of Ludwicks.

Tom Servo
05-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm not opposed to bringing Willie back, but right now he's hitting .193 at Louisville so he's not exactly knocking down the door.

marcshoe
05-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Today's game naturally brought these thoughts to my mind as well. I don't know what the answer is, but if there's someone out there who is decent, this team desperately needs to go after him. Or her, even. I'm not picky, and I know several girls who can hit better than Valdez.

btw, when the Reds picked up Valdez, my first post was "Is her even better than Janish?" not meaning that I was happy with Janish, but rather that I was afraid that Valdez was who he is.

Captain Hook
05-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Maybe Scott Rolen can anchor the bench better then he can anchor the every day 3B job.

VR
05-29-2012, 12:03 AM
It's stunning to think that absolutely no Red has outperformed expectations this year from a hitting standpoint.

Stunning.

The Cards are flush with overperformers. What is the difference?

05-29-2012, 12:12 AM
It's stunning to think that absolutely no Red has outperformed expectations this year from a hitting standpoint.

Stunning.

The Cards are flush with overperformers. What is the difference?

http://www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/baseball-steroids.jpg

VR
05-29-2012, 12:16 AM
You may be on to something.

Vottomatic
05-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Yeah. I'm really frustrated with this offense. It's either HR's or bust. They cannot manufacture runs to save their soul. And to read Votto's leading in this and that but has no one on base in front of him to knock in makes it even more frustrating.

I think Dusty has handled the bullpen better this year but his lineups are still headscratchers. You'd think he'd try something different every once in awhile to get things going but he doesn't. And then factor in his past quotes about guys clogging up the bases and OBP being overrated, etc............and it gives you little hope.

Geez, I'd trade Stubbs, Ludwick and Heisey right now for Melky Cabrera and Dejesus, and their higher OBP's. This team has too many low contact, big power guys, and nobody to simply get on base. Or if they have no power, they can't hit much to begin with. Frustrating.

I think this has alot to do with the fans not completely buying into this team even though they're in first place. Cardinals have the pitching and hitting. Reds have the pitching with an all or nothing hitting.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Dump Costanzo and bring up a 3rd catcher (Corky). That gives you another potent bat on the bench in Mesoraco/Hanigan when they're not starting.

He's only hitting .235 in Louisville, but his OBP is .367. Certainly better than what Costanzo, Harris, etc would be giving us. Plus you get the 'stach for the ladies. :O)