PDA

View Full Version : Best Prospect Likely Available?

RedlegJake
05-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Who, in your opinion, will be the best power hitter available at #14 when the Reds draft? the best pitcher? Not the best in the draft mind you - but who you think will still be there when the time comes for the Reds to take their #1.

I think its Richie Schaffer as the power hitter, or Victor Roache, and I like Schaffer better if both are there. Richie is more likely to be gone. If Gallo is there even better but I bet he goes early.

As the best arm still on the board I like Michael Waha to be there, followed by Marcus Stroman.

And my guess as the pick is Richie Schaffer 3B. (okay my lust for the pick)

klw
05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I would like to see the Reds end up with Gallo for no other reason than the My Cousin Vinny jokes. The 98 mph arm and the power would be a nice bonus would come second to all the "Joey Gallo? No I said Joey Callo" moments.

Edd Roush
05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I really like Richie Shaffer, too. I think his glove is good enough to stick at third and his bat has a chance to be above average at the hot corner. I feel like he is a high upside kid and one that will also move fast. While I know you cannot draft for your major league team's current "needs", I do think it is at least convenient that Richie plays 3B and with the new slotting system, he should sign quickly and maybe we could see what he has to offer in Bakersfield before the year is up. If he rakes there, maybe he could be a fast riser in 2013 and maybe even help the Reds in late 2013. Who knows.

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I really like Richie Shaffer, too. I think his glove is good enough to stick at third and his bat has a chance to be above average at the hot corner. I feel like he is a high upside kid and one that will also move fast. While I know you cannot draft for your major league team's current "needs", I do think it is at least convenient that Richie plays 3B and with the new slotting system, he should sign quickly and maybe we could see what he has to offer in Bakersfield before the year is up. If he rakes there, maybe he could be a fast riser in 2013 and maybe even help the Reds in late 2013. Who knows.

That's what I like about Shaffer - he should move fast and be ready quick. I think he could be there by 2014 at the latest. Unlike Roache and Gallo his bat isn't just about power either. While he has that in plenty, he is also a pure line drive hitter who can use all fields and should hit for a good average as well.

PuffyPig
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Who, in your opinion, will be the best power hitter available at #14 when the Reds draft? the best pitcher? Not the best in the draft mind you - but who you think will still be there when the time comes for the Reds to take their #1.

I think its Richie Schaffer as the power hitter, or Victor Roache, and I like Schaffer better if both are there. Richie is more likely to be gone. If Gallo is there even better but I bet he goes early.

As the best arm still on the board I like Michael Waha to be there, followed by Marcus Stroman.

And my guess as the pick is Richie Schaffer 3B. (okay my lust for the pick)

I'm reading that many scouts don't see Schaffer likley staying at 3rd, and having 1B or even LF as his future spot.

Edd Roush
05-30-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm reading that many scouts don't see Schaffer likley staying at 3rd, and having 1B or even LF as his future spot.

If the Reds most trusted scouts don't believe Schaffer can stick at third, it really does change everything.

I go back to the day we drafted Yonder Alonso when Gordon Beckham was on the board, and I was upset when I believed Beckham was going to stick at short. Now that we know Beckham is a second baseman, it looks like the Reds may have made the correct pick.

If Schaffer can't stick at third, I am fine with drafting another high upside player at 14, but if my scouts think he can stick at third, I want him.

Benihana
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
If the Reds most trusted scouts don't believe Schaffer can stick at third, it really does change everything.

I go back to the day we drafted Yonder Alonso when Gordon Beckham was on the board, and I was upset when I believed Beckham was going to stick at short. Now that we know Beckham is a second baseman, it looks like the Reds may have made the correct pick.

If Schaffer can't stick at third, I am fine with drafting another high upside player at 14, but if my scouts think he can stick at third, I want him.

I also appreciate the Yonder choice because he was the best bat (ie best player) not just the best at a certain middle infield position. That is why I'd like to see a similar bat drafted this year, rather than a guy like Devin Marrero.

However unlike the Alonso pick, the guy the Reds take would have to be able to play somewhere (anywhere) on the diamond other than exclusively 1B, given the Votto extension.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I just want the best bat period. The Reds farm system is really barren any game changing hitters. There are some decent prospects in the system but none who profile as elite. As I don't expect the Reds to see a slam dunk TOR arm at 14, I hope they go for a hitter. I really believe, looking at this draft class that there will be 2 or 3 very strong slugging candidates available. Picking the best one in terms of position and eventual ceiling and speed to the majors - that's what I want. If the scouts feel Shaffer has to move off 3rd then I'd prefer Gallo if he's there, but he really profiles as 1B down the line, so maybe Roache, though he's farther away, or Courtney Hawkins, a high schooler. Roache had that broken wrist though and may end up at first, too just because he's so huge.

Benihana
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I just want the best bat period. The Reds farm system is really barren any game changing hitters. There are some decent prospects in the system but none who profile as elite. As I don't expect the Reds to see a slam dunk TOR arm at 14, I hope they go for a hitter. I really believe, looking at this draft class that there will be 2 or 3 very strong slugging candidates available. Picking the best one in terms of position and eventual ceiling and speed to the majors - that's what I want. If the scouts feel Shaffer has to move off 3rd then I'd prefer Gallo if he's there, but he really profiles as 1B down the line, so maybe Roache, though he's farther away, or Courtney Hawkins, a high schooler. Roache had that broken wrist though and may end up at first, too just because he's so huge.

I think you correctly identified the four guys that make the most sense in terms of highest upside bats that could be available at 14. Let's hope the Reds can land at least one of them (Roache and Gallo could potentially fall to the sandwich round).

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I think you correctly identified the four guys that make the most sense in terms of highest upside bats that could be available at 14. Let's hope the Reds can land at least one of them (Roache and Gallo could potentially fall to the sandwich round).

My dream would be grabbing say Hawkins/Shaffer #1 and getting Roache in the sandwich round. Dreams.

Benihana
05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
My dream would be grabbing say Hawkins/Shaffer #1 and getting Roache in the sandwich round. Dreams.

Agreed. Then they could get a "safer" pitcher with the other sandwich round or 2nd round pick- a guy like ASU's Jake Barrett or Georgia's Alex Wood.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Agreed. Then they could get a "safer" pitcher with the other sandwich round or 2nd round pick- a guy like ASU's Jake Barrett or Georgia's Alex Wood.

That is exactly how I hope they approach the draft. Grab a couple of the top bats first/second and then pick from the deep pile of second tier arms with that second sandwich pick.

powersackers
06-01-2012, 12:45 AM
We'll take some HS pitcher none of us will see for a year, and won't sniff AAA for 5 years. Bah...

I want one of those 4 bats too. Maybe 2 of them.

lollipopcurve
06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
I want to see some high schoolers drafted early. Under the new rules, it's going to be mostly college guys after round 10. You've got to keep seeding the lower levels to complement the flow of talent from Latin America. That, plus a lot of the talent has already been siphoned out of the college class. So, for example, a solid college arm first, followed by some high schoolers, would be good by me. You get a safe bet first, at the most crucial position, then get some youngsters with some nice ceilings/tools. Bottom line -- I would not like to see the team go 80-90% college in the first 10 rounds.

redsmetz
06-01-2012, 08:32 AM
We'll take some HS pitcher none of us will see for a year, and won't sniff AAA for 5 years. Bah...

Just curious. Are you basing your take on a high school pitcher based on an expected hold-out or because they're likely to shut them down. Do you think the change in the bonus rules will preclude long hold-outs? I think there's a possibility that more high school draftees, particularly in the later rounds, will eschew signing and head off to college instead. The days of grabbing some younger players late in the draft and overwhelming them with higher bonuses are likely a think of the past.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Just curious. Are you basing your take on a high school pitcher based on an expected hold-out or because they're likely to shut them down. Do you think the change in the bonus rules will preclude long hold-outs? I think there's a possibility that more high school draftees, particularly in the later rounds, will eschew signing and head off to college instead. The days of grabbing some younger players late in the draft and overwhelming them with higher bonuses are likely a think of the past.

Yeah, I think a team that takes a committed HS player in the lower rounds is basically punting because they can't overpay the slot without messing up their other picks. Of course, if you don't sign a couple of your top picks...so a team might pick one or two guys like that as a "fallback" plan if they think their first or second rounder is going to be a really hard sell.

redsmetz
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I think a team that takes a committed HS player in the lower rounds is basically punting because they can't overpay the slot without messing up their other picks. Of course, if you don't sign a couple of your top picks...so a team might pick one or two guys like that as a "fallback" plan if they think their first or second rounder is going to be a really hard sell.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I think one of the Reds strengths in recent years is grabbing some of these guys in the later rounds and wooing them with over slot money. I think we have a good handful of surprises that they ended up signing in the last three years or so.

Others have said this, but I'm not sure this new rules for the draft will help us over all. Hopefully not, but we'll have to see.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
If you're looking for a high ceiling position prospect at 14 Trey Williams could be the guy. High Schooler with maybe the highest overall ceiling of all the corner infielders. 5 tools, should stick at third. I wouldn't be disappointed in him as the pick.