PDA

View Full Version : Hitting prospects?

VR
05-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I've been trying to find some hope about having some hitters coming through the Reds system. I'm stunned when scouring the Reds minor league rosters....they don't seem to have any talent that will be ready on the horizon.

As an overall focus....it seems hitting is no longer a strength on our minor league rosters.

Can anyone provide any optimism in this area?

Tom Servo
05-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Henry Rodriguez has been a good hitter throughout his minor league career, and so far Ryan Lamarre has potential.

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
The Reds have a decent prospect at most positions - as in a guy you can project to be a major league average player. That is good depth and overall strength but there are no "star" caliber position players unless someone really steps it up.

oneupper
05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Draft some bats, maybe?

Chip R
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
What about those teenagers they signed a few years ago from the Dominican (I think)? Duran and someone else.

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
What about those teenagers they signed a few years ago from the Dominican (I think)? Duran and someone else.

Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez? They are struggling terribly. Both hitting near the Mendoza line...showing little power....defensive struggles too....slipping quickly into prospect oblivion...both still relatively young though

BuckeyeRedleg
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
If Puckett can get going in Louisville he might not be a bad addition later in the season, especially when you consider how bad of a bench the Reds currently have. Dorn too, but he has struggled a little early on.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Rodriguez (3B, 2B), LaMarre (CF), Vidal (3B), Fellhauer (OF), Puckett (OF/UTIL), and Soto (1B) are about the only decent bats at AA or above right now. Soto is struggling in Louisville and doesn't have a position with the big club anyway. Gregorius is a great SS prospect, but is not know for his bat and isn't really doing much right now with the bat in AA.

I don't see much immediate help here other than maybe Rodriguez (who is hurt right now) and as I mentioned maybe a Puckett.

VR
05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Rodriguez (3B, 2B), LaMarre (CF), Vidal (3B), Fellhauer (OF), Puckett (OF/UTIL), and Soto (1B) are about the only decent bats at AA or above right now. Soto is struggling in Louisville and doesn't have a position with the big club anyway. Gregorius is a great SS prospect, but is not know for his bat and isn't really doing much right now with the bat in AA.

I don't see much immediate help here other than maybe Rodriguez (who is hurt right now) and as I mentioned maybe a Puckett.

Hopefully just bad luck that 95% of the hitters in the Reds system are off to a bad start.

dfs
05-30-2012, 12:25 AM
it seems hitting is no longer a strength on our minor league rosters.

Sure they just coughed up Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Francisco, Yonder, Grandal and Sappelt, but what have they done for us lately?

Seriously, Soto is 23 at AAA, but other than that I don't think there is anybody who is going to be real trade bait or an upgrade within the next year and a half.

VR
05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Sure they just coughed up Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Francisco, Yonder, Grandal and Sappelt, but what have they done for us lately?

Seriously, Soto is 23 at AAA, but other than that I don't think there is anybody who is going to be real trade bait or an upgrade within the next year and a half.

Are any of that list going to be OPS + big leaguers? Maybe Mes?

Let's hope it's a super draft to gain some sticks.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM

There are some good ones - pretty deep in power bats through our first round pick and a couple that may fall to later, too. I'm hoping.

dfs
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Yonder and Grandal fer sure.

I think Todd Frazier is going to suprise folks the more he plays. I think he can be as good a player as Chris Sabo was. I know that's not enough for a franchise to hang it's hat on, but I think he can help a franchise even after arbitration kicks in.

Likewise, I think positionally, Cozart can be a real asset as well.

Cheers to that.
While we're hoping How about Chris Heisey learns to hit a curveball and Drew Stubbs decides getting on base is the most important thing he can do?

Benihana
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
The only ones currently in the minors that could be relevant in the next 3 years IMO (could OPS > .800) are Donald Lutz, Henry Rodriguez, and David Vidal. Lutz is a 1B/LF type, and the other two are 3B. Rodriguez is a switch-hitter.

But you're right, there is nobody with significant offensive upside on the horizon. No Bruces, Vottos, Alonsos, or even Mez/Grandals. That is the main reason I'd like to see them draft some high upside bats on Monday- regardless of where they play on the diamond.

Topcat
05-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Ken Singleton made an interesting comment during last nights Yankees and Angels game. He was talking about how there hitters who become better than minors numbers appear due to better pitchers being more around the plate while in the Minors wildness and inconsistent pitching leads to uneasiness at the plate for batters.

dougdirt
05-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Ken Singleton made an interesting comment during last nights Yankees and Angels game. He was talking about how there hitters who become better than minors numbers appear due to better pitchers being more around the plate while in the Minors wildness and inconsistent pitching leads to uneasiness at the plate for batters.

I have heard that before too and I simply don't believe it. If hitters weren't as good because of wildness in the minors, then MLB pitchers are going to figure out they will chase and will stop throwing them strikes and still get them out.

mdccclxix
05-31-2012, 07:43 AM

If I'm not mistaken Soto and Puckett are right handed lefty killers, something this team is not in need of this year, or next, unless their seen as replacements for 2 out of Ludwick, Heisey and Frazier, which I doubt. So the sheen has come off them for me in terms of their future with the Reds.

Lamarre could be an interesting replacement for Stubbs in a year or two when Stubbs gets more expensive. Lamarre doesn't slug for as much as Stubbs, but who knows maybe he could maintain an OBP north of .350 in the majors so he can solve lead off.

Fellhauer is a left handed RF that slashes .299 /.389/.409/.798 vs RHP in his last two season with a 15% K rate and 12.4% walk rate vs RHP as well. Everything drops off against LHP pretty badly. But, as Doug indicated as well, he could be a sleeper to help this roster even by September. He's 24 at AA, but still appears to slot very nicely into the needs of this current roster.

Rodriguez is the other player that could slot nicely into this year's roster. A switch hitting 3b that hits for high average (.326) with a nice k/bb ratio - would work really nicely in the leadoff spot. He's currently injured, probably delaying his debut until next year, if he had any shot at all this year.

vs RHP - 2013
Rodriguez
Fellhauer
Votto
Mez
Bruce
Phillips
Cozart
Stubbs

vs LHP - 2013
Rodriguez
Stubbs
Votto
Mez
Bruce
Phillips
Frazier
Cozart

That's a pretty complete lineup if it all came together the way it looks now. Then deal Heisey or Stubbs and Leake or Bailey to save money. Don't resign Ludwick or Cairo or Valdez and free Janish.