PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Brewers put Lucroy on the DL

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Injuries are coming in waves for the Brew Crew this year. Their hottest hitter -- catcher Jonathan Lucroy -- was just placed on the DL. He broke his hand when a suitcase fell on it:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7982002/milwaukee-brewers-put-hot-hitting-catcher-lucroy-dl-broken-hand

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Some years it just goes that way for a team. The Brew Crew will be back next year, at least competitive, but this year is just not their year in any way shape or form.

bucksfan2
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Some years it just goes that way for a team. The Brew Crew will be back next year, at least competitive, but this year is just not their year in any way shape or form.

The Brewers are going to get blown up this year. Grienke will be moved at the deadline. I would imagine KRod will be flipped as well. Come June I think they will be in full firesale mode looking towards 2014 more than 2013.

Slyder
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
The Brewers are going to get blown up this year. Grienke will be moved at the deadline. I would imagine KRod will be flipped as well. Come June I think they will be in full firesale mode looking towards 2014 more than 2013.

I wouldn't mind Greinke and/or Hart making the trip across the midwest. Would Hart be enough of a threat for the 4 hole chasm we have?

May I suggest looking at KC for a potential SS? Alcides Escobar?

Johnny Footstool
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't mind Greinke and/or Hart making the trip across the midwest. Would Hart be enough of a threat for the 4 hole chasm we have?

None of those players will be changing teams.

The Brewers aren't cashing in anytime soon.

KC won't part with Escobar. He's one of the main pieces they receive in return for Greinke.

traderumor
05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
The Brewers are a mess, hit a freaky streak last year by winning at home. Between injuries and a shallow pitching staff and poor D, they just still remind me a lot of the 2001-2008 Reds. They probably have a bit more overall talent, but very similar type of team with similar weaknesses.

MikeThierry
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow this was a very odd, freaky injury. Didn't his wife drop the suitcase on his hand?

camisadelgolf
05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I think it's retributive justice for Braun not being required to serve his suspension.

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Wow this was a very odd, freaky injury. Didn't his wife drop the suitcase on his hand?

Yes. Anytime I hear an elaborate story, I assume there's a good chance the player is fibbing. Lucroy might be telling the truth here (he was reaching under the bed for a sock and his wife dropped the suitcase on his hand) but all I can think of is Jeff Kent hurting himself while "washing his car."

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
If Greinke or KRod get traded the Brewers will be looking for and getting the kind of prospect package the Reds no longer have to offer. And JF is right, no way in the world that KC lets go of Escobar.

dougdirt
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Why would someone want to go after Escobar? Poor plate discipline, no power to speak of....

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Why would someone want to go after Escobar? Poor plate discipline, no power to speak of....

Especially in light of what we've seen of Cozart? What does Zach have to do to get people to realize he can play the position...

traderumor
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Especially in light of what we've seen of Cozart? What does Zach have to do to get people to realize he can play the position...Got me, I'm convinced on Cozart. An exciting young player making great plays and holding his own offensively despite not being a leadoff hitter.

Sea Ray
05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Especially in light of what we've seen of Cozart? What does Zach have to do to get people to realize he can play the position...

Exactly. With the holes we have at 3B and LF and the SS prospects we have in the minors, why would we target a SS? Cozart is the least of our concerns

REDREAD
05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't think the Brewers will firesale. They will try to resign Grienke and try again next year.
They have a good core.. They are kind of similiar to the Reds last year.. Things just didn't work out this year.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I also think the Brewers will try to resign Greinke. They have a young enough team, and enough on the farm to move forward. This is just one of those seasons for them.

bucksfan2
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I also think the Brewers will try to resign Greinke. They have a young enough team, and enough on the farm to move forward. This is just one of those seasons for them.

I don't think Greinke wants to sign during the season and wants to test free agency. I wonder if the Brewers are willing to go down the path of Fielder without being in playoff contention.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't know about that. I don't see Zach being excited about pitching for a big media market - he doesn't like a lot of attention. If Milwaukee doesn't agree with him one of the Florida teams probably has a lock if they want him. He's a Florida boy.

westofyou
05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Fans are idiots

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7990511/wife-target-hate-messages

"It's tough for me, because this is already a freak thing as it is," Lucroy told the radio station. "My wife has been getting hate mail on her Facebook, like, messages and stuff. It's really sad that these kinds of things happen from a freak thing. I mean, she didn't do it on purpose. It was an accident. Stranger things have happened.

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Fans are idiots

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7990511/wife-target-hate-messages

Because there are a lot of idiots out there why would someone like the wife of a player be on Facebook? Drop the social media and be done with it

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Because there are a lot of idiots out there why would someone like the wife of a player be on Facebook? Drop the social media and be done with it

Because they are people to? They enjoy being able to easily communicate with their friends and family?

Perhaps set it up as a private only thing where only your friends can comment/see what you post.... but these are still people we are talking about.

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Because they are people to? They enjoy being able to easily communicate with their friends and family?

Perhaps set it up as a private only thing where only your friends can comment/see what you post.... but these are still people we are talking about.

What does people have to do with it? If you're a public figure you don't do stuff like this. You can live a perfectly happy life without Facebook. If you choose to expose yourself like this in order to be "able to easily communicate with their friends and family" then that's the chance you take.

The bottomline is that there will always be idiots out there, so if you want a solution to the problem: take down your FB account

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
What does people have to do with it? If you're a public figure you don't do stuff like this. You can live a perfectly happy life without Facebook. If you choose to expose yourself like this in order to be "able to easily communicate with their friends and family" then that's the chance you take.

The bottomline is that there will always be idiots out there, so if you want a solution to the problem: take down your FB account

She isn't a public figure. 90% of Milwaukee couldn't pick Lucroy out of a line up, much less the rest of the world. 100% couldn't pick his wife out of one.

And sure, you can live a perfectly happy life without facebook. You can probably do so without a car too. But we don't.

Should she just build a moat with gators and sharks with lasers around her house too? Because there are still going to be idiots out there who know where she lives.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
She isn't a public figure. 90% of Milwaukee couldn't pick Lucroy out of a line up, much less the rest of the world. 100% couldn't pick his wife out of one.

And sure, you can live a perfectly happy life without facebook. You can probably do so without a car too. But we don't.

Should she just build a moat with gators and sharks with lasers around her house too? Because there are still going to be idiots out there who know where she lives.

She could move to the upper deck at Progressive Field in Cleveland. Surely no one will find her there. :D

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

She's enough of a public figure that this sort of thing can happen. If this happens to my wife or yours (I know you're single), she won't get hate mail. See the difference?

If you want to make a comparison to owning a car and owning a Facebook account have at it...

MikeThierry
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
She's enough of a public figure that this sort of thing can happen. If this happens to my wife or yours (I know you're single), she won't get hate mail. See the difference?

If you want to make a comparison to owning a car and owning a Facebook account have at it...

The bottom line is that it's a sad state of affairs that fans have to act like that. I couldn't care less if she's on social media or not. Nobody deserves to be treated like that regardless if their famous or not.

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 01:42 PM

Again, should she build a moat around their house with gators and sharks with lasers? People can find out where she lives rather easily.

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
The bottom line is that it's a sad state of affairs that fans have to act like that. I couldn't care less if she's on social media or not. Nobody deserves to be treated like that regardless if their famous or not.

That goes without saying. We all realize that. Fans behaving like that is nothing new. It's been like that since Hank Aaron and his pursuit of Babe Ruth and I'm sure before that. There are billions of people in this world and millions of them are baseball fans. Let's just accept that you'll always have idiot fans

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Again, should she build a moat around their house with gators and sharks with lasers? People can find out where she lives rather easily.

If people are physically stalking her then we'll discuss those solutions but this one's easy

Blitz Dorsey
06-01-2012, 08:29 PM

You could live a happy life without a car? Really? Doug, I never painted you as the Amish type. Me? I could definitely not live a happy life without a car. Live a happy life without Facebook? Yes. In fact, I find myself using Facebook less and less ... and I never used it all that much to begin with. Twitter is where it's at.

dougdirt
06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
You could live a happy life without a car? Really? Doug, I never painted you as the Amish type. Me? I could definitely not live a happy life without a car. Live a happy life without Facebook? Yes. In fact, I find myself using Facebook less and less ... and I never used it all that much to begin with. Twitter is where it's at.

Plenty of people live just fine without a car. In fact, they did it for thousands of years.

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Plenty of people live just fine without a car. In fact, they did it for thousands of years.

I really don't know how the cavemen did it. I Saber Tooth tiger is such an unwieldy animal. :)

*BaseClogger*
06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The happiest time of my short life was the four months I spent in Europe without a car.

Yes, it is possible to be happy without one. Maybe not in this country, or especially this city (Detroit), but it certainly is possible elsewhere...

Sea Ray
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Getting this back to the subject at hand: injuries, I think we as Reds fans ought not feel too smug at this point. Luckily we've been incredibly healthy this year and it shows in the standings but this is our Achilles Heel. I can think of very few starters we could afford to lose given our lack of depth. It goes without saying that Votto and Bruce are not replaceable but when you look at the whole team, there's a huge dropoff most everywhere.

At catcher we'd be looking at Corky Miller as a replacement. As for 3B and LF, we don't have major league avg guys to begin with. Stubbs could be replaced by Heisey but then our void in LF becomes even more glaring. Behind Cozart we have Valdez who is arguably not even a major leaguer let alone a starter.

Here's the thing, can we stay healthy and can most of our starters play 150+ games and not wear out? The Latos deal sent out a great deal of our depth and it may end up biting us in the end.

I like how we stand vs the rest of the NL Central now but I see trouble ahead

dougdirt
06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Getting this back to the subject at hand: injuries, I think we as Reds fans ought not feel too smug at this point. Luckily we've been incredibly healthy this year and it shows in the standings but this is our Achilles Heel. I can think of very few starters we could afford to lose given our lack of depth. It goes without saying that Votto and Bruce are not replaceable but when you look at the whole team, there's a huge dropoff most everywhere.

We have been incredibly healthy? We began the year with half of our bullpen on the DL and they were all late inning pitchers. Scott Rolen hasn't been healthy all year regardless of the fact that he played some of the season.

Sea Ray
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
We have been incredibly healthy? We began the year with half of our bullpen on the DL and they were all late inning pitchers. Scott Rolen hasn't been healthy all year regardless of the fact that he played some of the season.

Since Opening Day we've been incredibly healthy. Do you see that continuing?

dougdirt
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Since Opening Day we've been incredibly healthy. Do you see that continuing?

More so than most teams by virtue that we have a lot of younger players who can typically stay healthier. You can't fend off a fastball to the wrist, but hammy issues and things like that tend to happen to guys on the other side of 30 a lot more than the right side of it, like most of our players are.

Sea Ray
06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
More so than most teams by virtue that we have a lot of younger players who can typically stay healthier. You can't fend off a fastball to the wrist, but hammy issues and things like that tend to happen to guys on the other side of 30 a lot more than the right side of it, like most of our players are.

I understand but I see problems either with injuries or wearing out as Sept nears. Do you disagree?

Tommyjohn25
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I disagree, actually. For the most part the cast of characters we run out there every day have proven to be incredibly durable for the entire careers. Of course now I'm going to go find some wood to knock on.

Sea Ray
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I disagree, actually. For the most part the cast of characters we run out there every day have proven to be incredibly durable for the entire careers. Of course now I'm going to go find some wood to knock on.

It's much tougher to get by 162 games with a thin roster in the NL

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree with SeaRay. Our depth has taken a BIG hit this past year. Personally, I'm hoping to see a LOT of promotions to AAA around the all-star break. Louisville needs an infusion of youth in a bad way. The lack of talent there is startling.

MikeThierry
06-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Unless you have the Cardinals training staff. Then guys in the prime of their career go out with hammy's and muscle pulls. It's funny how the old man Furcal has managed to stay injury free but guys like Craig and Jay land on the DL.

Sea Ray
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree with SeaRay. Our depth has taken a BIG hit this past year. Personally, I'm hoping to see a LOT of promotions to AAA around the all-star break. Louisville needs an infusion of youth in a bad way. The lack of talent there is startling.

I'm surprised Doug is so confident. It seems to me we're in trouble no matter what. Either we have injuries or our guys will get worn out. I think we've already seen Cozart slipping due to a lack of off days. We saw Stubbs slip last year as season wore on and I think we'll have issues this year too. Hope I'm wrong but Walk still has a lot of work to do. I will say one positive is the pitching. We do have some depth there

medford
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
The closer they get to the trading deadline, there will be more expierenced depth available on the trade market. Guys in the last year of their deals, who aren't stars, but play on a regular basis elsewhere, will be flipped to play a bench role for a contender in exchange for a low tier prospect. A guy like Jim Edmonds a few seasons back. If the Reds don't upgrade their depth at a minimum around the trade deadline I'll be dissapointed.