PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/29

chicoruiz
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry I'm late...nutty morning. Let me make it up to you with an

ALL-REDS DAY!!! (with one minor cheat)

Jerry Hairston Jr. (36) -I always had a soft spot for Jerry...You know he's a third-generation major leaguer..Two players played with both Jerry Sr. and Jerry Jr.: Harold Baines and Ozzie Guillen.

Bill Risley (45) -Never actually pitched for the Reds, but he was a Cincy draft choice who was eventually sent along with John Wetteland to the Expos for a handful of magic beans. Because, you know, why would we ever need that Wetteland guy anyway...

Eric Davis (50) -Eric The Red's most similar comp is Larry Doby, followed by his old high school mate, Darrell Strawberry.

Clyde Mashore (67) -Had exactly one PA as a Red, and yet I remembered him as soon as I saw the name...Was traded for Ty Cline.

Willard Schmidt -Pitcher from the late 1950s. On April 26, 1959, he became the only player in baseball history to be hit by pitches twice in the same inning by different pitchers: Bob Rush and Lew Burdette. He stayed in the game, but later exited after being hit by a Johnny Logan line drive. C'mon, Willard, rub some dirt on it...

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh dear god. Eric Davis is FIFTY!!?!? There are just SOOOOOOOO many things wrong with that. Where has our youth gone. *sigh* Now I just feel ancient.

marcshoe
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh dear god. Eric Davis is FIFTY!!?!? There are just SOOOOOOOO many things wrong with that. Where has our youth gone. *sigh* Now I just feel ancient.

Tell me about it; AARP sent me a card in the mail today. My fiftieth is next month.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Tell me about it; AARP sent me a card in the mail today. My fiftieth is next month.

That's just rude. ;)

Bob Borkowski
05-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Eric Davis (50) -Eric The Red's most similar comp is Larry Doby, followed by his old high school mate, Darrell Strawberry.

What a fantastic talent! At his peak he could do so many things so darned well!

However, never played in more than 135 games in any one season of his career.

wheels
05-31-2013, 12:00 AM
What a fantastic talent! At his peak he could do so many things so darned well!

However, never played in more than 135 games in any one season of his career.

150 ish lbs, on turf, slamming into walls....They always knocked him for being fragile, but that guy layed it all out there.

Still my favorite player ever (maybe because we share the same birthday).

There has still never been a better all around season in Cincinnati since his 1987 campaign. He was almost a 40/80 guy, and didn't need a needle to do it.

Bob Borkowski
05-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Still my favorite player ever (maybe because we share the same birthday).

Hey, Happy Birthday! (yesterday)