PDA

View Full Version : Kris Negron, future GG?

RedsManRick
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
The kid made one heck of a play in CF and got rave reviews for his defense from David Bell.

""I've never seen anyone that good at that many positions... Wherever you put him on the field, there's a chance he's the best player on the field at the position.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/19194604/video-minor-leaguer-goes-airborne-for-fantastic-catch

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2012, 04:33 PM
LOL, you actually have to make an MLB team to qualify. Not sure Negron will ever do that. (And if he does, it will be a cup of coffee at best IMO.)

RedsManRick
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
LOL, you actually have to make an MLB team to qualify. Not sure Negron will ever do that. (And if he does, it will be a cup of coffee at best IMO.)

Can't he be the Corky for the rest of the position players? But yeah, hard to think he'll get much time in the majors when he can barely hit his weight in AAA.

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know. He might be a pretty good 25th man for defensive purposes. Infield-outfield, play anywhere. I could see him bouncing around playing that utility spot for a few teams.

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Can't he be the Corky for the rest of the position players? But yeah, hard to think he'll get much time in the majors when he can barely hit his weight in AAA.

Yeah, that's the thing. Even if Negron makes an MLB team, he would be a utility guy at best. No way he would get enough playing time to garner the GG even if he was the best defensive player in baseball. For example, there might have been a time when Juan Castro was the best defensive SS in baseball. But he never would have won the GG since he was no more than a backup player during his peak years. I think he finally won a starting gig with the Twins when he was past his prime.

Also, as we all know, you have to hit well to win the GG. Makes no sense, but it's true.

You know it's a down year for our minor league teams when people are getting excited about a 26-year-old at Triple-A who batted on the interstate most of last season (and barely finished the season over .200).

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't know. He might be a pretty good 25th man for defensive purposes. Infield-outfield, play anywhere. I could see him bouncing around playing that utility spot for a few teams.

He must look at the Reds current bench and think "I've got a chance!"

RedsManRick
05-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that's the thing. Even if Negron makes an MLB team, he would be a utility guy at best. No way he would get enough playing time to garner the GG even if he was the best defensive player in baseball. For example, there might have been a time when Juan Castro was the best defensive SS in baseball. But he never would have won the GG since he was no more than a backup player during his peak years. I think he finally won a starting gig with the Twins when he was past his prime.

Also, as we all know, you have to hit well to win the GG. Makes no sense, but it's true.

You know it's a down year for our minor league teams when people are getting excited about a 26-year-old at Triple-A who batted on the interstate most of last season (and barely finished the season over .200).

To be clear, I wasn't actually suggesting that we should keep him on the radar as a future gold glove winner. Just wanted to highlight his awesome catch.

camisadelgolf
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Then how did Arroyo win the GG with an OPS of .360? I'm just kidding. Sadly, what you say is true. Just ask Rafael Palmeiro, who won a GG in 1999 despite playing just 28 games in the field.

Redsfan320
05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Just ask Rafael Palmeiro, who won a GG in 1999 despite playing just 28 games in the field.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I did some Google-ing. How the heck did that happen? That's terrible. Worse than Jeter's recent GGs. At least he went and stood out there, even if he didn't move much.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 09:33 AM
There have been teams with enough offense that could play a GG shortstop just for his defense. This Reds' team isn't one of them. Not so far here in 2012 anyway.

Assembly Hall
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
There have been teams with enough offense that could play a GG shortstop just for his defense. This Reds' team isn't one of them. Not so far here in 2012 anyway.

Yepper Dave. Right now we need bench players that can hit.

dougdirt
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I had no idea what you were talking about, so I did some Google-ing. How the heck did that happen? That's terrible. Worse than Jeter's recent GGs. At least he went and stood out there, even if he didn't move much.

Managers vote on how a guy hits or past reputation a whole lot.