PDA

View Full Version : The Rich Get Richer: Oswalt to Texas

RedsManRick
05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20120529-source-rangers-bolster-starting-rotation-sign-free-agent-pitcher-roy-oswalt.ece

More details to come. Not a bad 5th starter.

RedlegJake
05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
At least it isn;t in the NL or the Cards.

Vottomatic
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Reds don't need him.

traderumor
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Reds don't need him.Guns or butter. Unless you're paying his salary?

jojo
05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
The rangers are scary good. Arguably the best offense, defense and pitching in the majors.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I still don't understand how they were able to sign players a few years back when they were basically looking at a bankruptcy right in the eye. Kinda stunning the way the worm has turned for them in such a few short years.

traderumor
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
So, is new ownership just loaded and infused an enormous amount of capital, or are they building up debt? I guess we'll find out with how they play Hamilton's contract. They were broke as recently as last season.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I know that they were borrowing money from MLB back when that bankruptcy stuff was going on. I want to say in '09 and '10.

CarolinaRedleg
05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
At least it isn;t in the NL or the Cards.

This. Oswalt hitting the StL wayback machine and reverting to his 2006-2007 "This guy owns the Reds" form was something of an unsavory thought.

Chip R
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
They just signed a huge new TV deal.

Sabo Fan
05-30-2012, 12:07 AM
They just signed a huge new TV deal.

No doubt that's the major driver, but I'd think that having Nolan Ryan involved in the ownership group gets you some financing opportunites that might not be there otherwise. The guy is practically a folk hero in those parts and I doubt too many people are going to turn him down for a loan.

Chip R
05-30-2012, 12:25 AM
No doubt that's the major driver, but I'd think that having Nolan Ryan involved in the ownership group gets you some financing opportunites that might not be there otherwise. The guy is practically a folk hero in those parts and I doubt too many people are going to turn him down for a loan.

Not sure if this is the case for Oswalt but you have to think that having a guy like Ryan helming the franchise is very attractive to players who grew up watching him - and perhaps idolizing him.

VR
05-30-2012, 12:38 AM
meh, he's fried and wouldn't thrill me in a Reds uni.

redsfan30
05-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Guns or butter. Unless you're paying his salary?

Please tell me this is a Baby Boy reference....

_Sir_Charles_
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Please tell me this is a Baby Boy reference....

I gave up trying to understand that one. Totally baffled me.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
The rangers are scary good. Arguably the best offense, defense and pitching in the majors.

And yet, despite all their winning, Josh Hamilton's ridiculous numbers and their hot start, the Angels are now in second place and only 5.5 games back.

They looked dead and buried just two weeks ago, now, unbelievably, they're right there.

dougdirt
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
And yet, despite all their winning, Josh Hamilton's ridiculous numbers and their hot start, the Angels are now in second place and only 5.5 games back.

They looked dead and buried just two weeks ago, now, unbelievably, they're right there.

Of course they also just put Jared Weaver on the DL....

oregonred
05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
The Rangers are an MLB powerhouse now. The only baseball team in the #4 metro area (and the fastest growing metro area in the country for number of new residents each of the past few years). Glad they are in the AL... The group that bought the Rangers got an absolute steal and will make a bundle when they sell the franchise.

traderumor
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Please tell me this is a Baby Boy reference....Econ 200 @ The Ohio State University. Limited resources require making choices. We need a slugger moreso thanan old war horse starter. And a couple of pinch hitters.

Vottomatic
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Rangers looking like the team to beat.

RedLegsToday
06-03-2012, 11:10 AM
For the Rangers to be the team to beat, shouldn't they, you know, be more than 9 games over .500 1/3 of the way through the season, or, at least, have the best record is baseball. They're all of 1 game ahead of the Orioles.

dougdirt
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
For the Rangers to be the team to beat, shouldn't they, you know, be more than 9 games over .500 1/3 of the way through the season, or, at least, have the best record is baseball. They're all of 1 game ahead of the Orioles.
They have been to two straight World Series and have the second best record in baseball. You are talking about them like they are the Pirates and on some sort of hot streak.

Sea Ray
06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Oswalt's not even a lock to make it back to the major league club as his minor league starts have not been impressive:

Roy Oswaltís comeback isnít going so well, either. When the Texas Rangers signed him to a minor-league deal that could have paid up approximately $4 million, I didnít think it was a game/division changer. Given his age (35 in August), injury history and the fact that he hasnít thrown a major league pitch since October of last year, it was fair to want to see how heíd perform before calling him the piece that would send the Rangers to a third consecutive World Series.

Oswalt has made two starts in Class AAA, throwing six innings and allowing five runs on nine hits. So the Rangers sent him to Class AA for his third start, and he lasted just 3 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on five hits.

This is bad news for the Rangers. They have taken hits to their rotation with Alexi Ogando and Derek Holland on the disabled list, and Neftali Feliz is on the 60-day DL. Yu Darvish has been good, but his command is inconsistent and sometimes keeps him from pitching deep into games.

Oswalt was signed in case some of these issues, whether injuries or poor performance, crept up on the Rangers. They have, but Oswalt is now part of the problem. The way heís pitching now, we wonít see him in the majors by July 1.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-06-17/past-forward-manny-ramirez-roy-oswalt-chase-utley-philadelphia-phillies-boston-r#ixzz1y9SvCpcC