PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 5/30/2012 Minor League Updates

texasdave
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Louisville plays host to Syracuse tonight at 7:05 EDT. Brett Tomko will take the ball, still looking for his first win of the season. He has an 0-5 record and an ERA of 3.18. He has kept the ball in the park in 2012, surrendering just 3 jacks in 51 IP. Louisville is 17-36 on the season and has ensured itself of its worst record in the month of May in 30 years. They are 8-20 with two games remaining. David Bell will be serving the second game of his two-game suspension tonight. He was ejected from Monday night's contest for reasons that I am unaware of. After snooping around it seems that Monday night's ejection was his third of the season which carried an automatic two-game suspension.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Pensacola is pounding Jackson by a score of 7-2 after four.

Offensive highlights are coming from the bottom of the lineup today. PJ Phillips has a single, double, two runs scored and one driven in. Mark Fleury has two doubles in three trips to the plate. He has scored once and knocked in a pair. Stephen Hunt has two RBIs and a run scored, going 1 for 2 with a walk. The 7-8-9 have shined.
Kyle Lotzkar has pitched four innings. He gave up two earned runs on four hits, walked none and struck out five.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
In Advanced A action, the Blaze travel to San Jose. Justice French will be in action for Bakersfield. Game time 10:00 EDT. French has pitched will for the Blaze in 2012. 21IP 20H 0HR 6BB 14K.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Dayton travels to South Bend for a 7:00 EDT start. Radhames Quezada will try to put an end to a forgetful month of May by coming up with a solid effort. I tried to tell Q that his starts in the month of May were like Lemony Snickets. Just a series of unfortunate events. He seemed confused.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Not much happened the rest of the way as Pensacola wins by a 7-3 margin.

Lotzkar 6IP 5H 2ER 0HR 0BB 8K. That K/BB is undefined. Which means very very good.
Drew Hayes with 2IP 1H 0ER 0HR 0BB 3K.

Blue Wahoo bats shut down the last 6 innings with just one hit. Game was salted away by then.

Benihana
05-30-2012, 05:32 PM
If Lotzkar can stay healthy, he is a top 5 prospect in the system. Good to see his success this season. That 2006 draft produced Lotzkar, Mesoraco, Frazier, and Cozart (and Soto)- pretty impressive haul. It was also the last time we had three selections before the second round...until Monday night.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Dayton up 1-0 early. Muller singled, went to third on a pickoff attempt and scored on an out. Q fans two in the first.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Bats with one hit through four - Cody Puckett. Tomko pitching well but still trails 1-0.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Dayton leads 4-0 through four innings of play.

Kurt Muller 2-2 with two runs scored and a home run. Quezada with 4 scoreless frames, giving up 3 hits, walking 2 and striking out 6.

mace
05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Dayton led 9-1 and held on 9-6. Quezada gave up one run through five and fanned 8. Cole Green was raked. El'Hajj Muhammad settled things down.

mace
05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Tonight's Louisville loss came by a 2-1 count. Puckett had a pair of singles. That makes him the Bats' Offensive Player of the Month.

RedlegJake
05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Dayton is like a new bunch to me - I know the Cal guys and Pensacola but about 3/4ths of the Dayton guys are unknowns. I need to check up on them more and get familiar with the new faces.

VottoFan54
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Bakersfield is up 5-0 in the third. Billy drew a walk in the first and promptly stole second (55 SB) before he was caught stealing third (12 CS). All of the runs were scored in the third due to a lack of control by the opposing pitcher.

klw
05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Bakersfield ended up holding on for the 7-5 win
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2012_05_30_bakafa_sjgafa_1
Juan Duran with his 5th multi-hit game in his last 8.
Pat Doyle with 3 1/3 innings of scoreless relief for the win.

texasdave
05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Tonight's Louisville loss came by a 2-1 count. Puckett had a pair of singles. That makes him the Bats' Offensive Player of the Month.

For May or June or both? :laugh:

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Poor Brett Tomko. 0-6, 3.12 ERA. When he has been on the mound, the Bats have now scored 9 runs in his 10 starts. He drove in one of those runs.

mace
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Poor Brett Tomko. 0-6, 3.12 ERA. When he has been on the mound, the Bats have now scored 9 runs in his 10 starts. He drove in one of those runs.

I didn't realize he had pitched that well. Could we be mistaken in focusing on Francis?

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
I didn't realize he had pitched that well. Could we be mistaken in focusing on Francis?

We would be mistaken by focusing on any of those guys aside from Pedro Villarreal. He is the only guy on that staff, as a starter, with actual MLB stuff. Francis has had some results in the past, but he simply doesn't impress me at all with his 'fastball' and offspeed stuff. Tomko isn't really an upgrade from Francis. Walking 4.5 guys per 9.

Just go with Villarreal who has two above average pitches and can pound the strikezone.

mace
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
We would be mistaken by focusing on any of those guys aside from Pedro Villarreal. He is the only guy on that staff, as a starter, with actual MLB stuff. Francis has had some results in the past, but he simply doesn't impress me at all with his 'fastball' and offspeed stuff. Tomko isn't really an upgrade from Francis. Walking 4.5 guys per 9.

Just go with Villarreal who has two above average pitches and can pound the strikezone.

Admittedly, I've only seen Villarreal pitch one time, and anyone can have a bad day. But in the game I witnessed, this year for Pensacola (at Jacksonville), his stuff was

1. mediocre
2. up
3. crushed.

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Admittedly, I've only seen Villarreal pitch one time, and anyone can have a bad day. But in the game I witnessed, this year for Pensacola (at Jacksonville), his stuff was

1. mediocre
2. up
3. crushed.

Must have been pretty good in his other starts then. 3.62 ERA this year between AA/AAA with 44 strikeouts and 8 walks in 59.2 innings.

Fastball in the 91-95 range, really good slider, pounds the strikezone.

mace
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Must have been pretty good in his other starts then. 3.62 ERA this year between AA/AAA with 44 strikeouts and 8 walks in 59.2 innings.

Fastball in the 91-95 range, really good slider, pounds the strikezone.

Those are certainly good numbers, especially the K/BB ratio. But that's not the guy I saw. It was April 25, and as I reported in the game thread that night, I saw him reach 90 only once. He was mostly around 86-88. He walked two and struck out two in five innings, giving up six hits and five runs. He presented no discernible problem for Jacksonville.

Obviously, by the numbers, that's not his typical start. It's just all I have to go on from an observational standpoint. When you see a guy and are not impressed, it's kind of hard to erase that from your system.

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Those are certainly good numbers, especially the K/BB ratio. But that's not the guy I saw. It was April 25, and as I reported in the game thread that night, I saw him reach 90 only once. He was mostly around 86-88. He walked two and struck out two in five innings, giving up six hits and five runs. He presented no discernible problem for Jacksonville.

Obviously, by the numbers, that's not his typical start. It's just all I have to go on from an observational standpoint. When you see a guy and are not impressed, it's kind of hard to erase that from your system.

True.... that is why I try and watch guys as much as I can, so I can typically see the good and bad.