25. Memphis: Tony Wroten
26. Indiana: Tyshawn Taylor
27. Miami: Fab Melo
28. Oklahoma City: Evan Fournier
29. Chicago: Doron Lamb
30. Golden State: Festus Ezelli

Boro_BG_Red
05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Not bad. I'd expect Beal to go 2nd or 3rd. Also, I really like Royce White to go higher.

WMR
05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Beal will go higher.

Would not dare draft Drummond or Barnes that high.

bucksfan2
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I really don't know how well players translate to the pro game. I don't really follow the NBA enough to really know enough. But a couple of things from this draft:

In watching UK I thought Kidd-Gilchrist would translate into a better pro than Anthony Davis. Davis was a man amongst boys in college but I don't think it will be the same in the NBA.

I think Barnes games translates very well to the NBA game. I don't like Marshall who I think got a lot of help from 2-4 other NBA players in his starting lineup.

I think Thomas Robinson will be a bust and would stay away from Terrance Jones.

I think Myers Leonard will be a solid NBA player 2-3 years from now. Guy has a lot of talent but is extremely raw.

The guy who I think will be a solid NBA player who will likely go in the 2nd is William Buford.

Assembly Hall
06-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I really don't know how well players translate to the pro game. I don't really follow the NBA enough to really know enough. But a couple of things from this draft:

In watching UK I thought Kidd-Gilchrist would translate into a better pro than Anthony Davis. Davis was a man amongst boys in college but I don't think it will be the same in the NBA.

I think Barnes games translates very well to the NBA game. I don't like Marshall who I think got a lot of help from 2-4 other NBA players in his starting lineup.

I think Myers Leonard will be a solid NBA player 2-3 years from now. Guy has a lot of talent but is extremely raw.

The guy who I think will be a solid NBA player who will likely go in the 2nd is William Buford.

I agree with everything you said until that last sentence! But I have been wrong on more than one occasion.;)

WMR
06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Barnes is a shooter who can't create his own shot. We'll see how he does in the NBA.

Assembly Hall
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
LOL........Barnes was a flop in college, we shall see at the next level.

Aside from Leonard another guy that jumps out at me is Royce White.

Scrap Irony
06-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Davis' length and athleticism will make him a perennial All Star, if only because he's got so little to play against. Only Howard matches up with his speed and quickness among NBA centers. It helps that he's already got the 20-footer in his bag of tricks, and his blow-by to the hoop is downright unfair. He's JaValle McGee with Garnett's jumper and the basketball IQ of Tim Duncan. His negative is his lack of bulk. He'll be among the best defensive

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist can't hit a jumper. At all. His motor and ability to finish around the rim (which is, admittedly, remarkable) bump his shooting percentage into a much higher range than it is in reality. He's already good defensively-- good enough to be among the upper echelon in that department. But he'll never be a 20-point a game scorer unless he fixes that shot. Think Gerald Wallace-- great guy to have on your team, glue guy... All Star? Not unless he (everyone together now) fixes his shot.

Terrence Jones has a reliable jump shot out to 15. He wants to shoot from 23. If you can reign in the latter and focus on the former, Jones could very well go 15/8/3 every night. He does a little bit of everything well. Even better, he's big enough to play a small stretch four and quick enough to play a big small forward, so he should provide some matchup problems. Defensively, he's already a plus with very good footwork and lateral movement, and a penchant for blocking shots from the weakside. Of course, he does disappear for quarters at a time, and he's been known to vapor lock at times. He could just as well go 8/4/1 at times that he doesn't feel like playing. If his motor runs at a high enough level, Jones will be a solid pick. (I think he's likely to be good, but not great as a pro.)

Harrison Barnes is a good spot up shooter from 21. He's not great with the ball, but does have a good first step. He's decent defensively, with very good quickness. He's a good finisher at the basket and should be more than willing to get out on the break. A 15-point a game shooter who'll play good defense is definitely something to value. I just don't think he's got the will to take over games.

Kendall Marshall is going to struggle in the NBA. He just can't shoot well enough to keep defenses honest. As a pass-first PG, he may end up starting for a lower echelon team, but he's a step (or two) slow and cannot guard anyone. At all. Those that compare him to Jason Kidd forget that Kidd was among the fastest players ever at his position when drafted. His ceiling is Mark Jackson/ Doc Rogers. His floor is one-year bust. I'd much rather gamble on Damion Lillard.

My sleeper is Tyler Zeller. He's already solid out to 18 and will likely be able to hit the three at a solid clip as he matures. His body is big enough to bang, but he's also got a solid first step and a good post-up game. He rebounds, blocks shots, and runs as well as anyone in the college game. More than that, he'll create some serious matchup problems, able to take bigs out and small in. I could see him, in the right system, dropping a 15/10/3/1.5 as a center/ power forward. (Portland is practically begging for a guy like Zeller to pair with Aldridge.)

My second sleeper in John Henson. His athleticism and burgeoning offensive game (those baby hooks with either hand are unstoppable) bely a great motor and vast untapped potential. Henson is likely to be better as a pro than in college, as the game will be more wide open and allow for more athletic moves. Add in monster defensive chops, and I think Henson has a chance to be an All Star and member of the All-Defensive team for a number of years.

Scrap Irony
06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
LOL........Barnes was a flop in college, we shall see at the next level.

Aside from Leonard another guy that jumps out at me is Royce White.

Barnes averaged 17 per game.

Wish I could flop that well.

bucksfan2
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Davis' length and athleticism will make him a perennial All Star, if only because he's got so little to play against. Only Howard matches up with his speed and quickness among NBA centers. It helps that he's already got the 20-footer in his bag of tricks, and his blow-by to the hoop is downright unfair. He's JaValle McGee with Garnett's jumper and the basketball IQ of Tim Duncan. His negative is his lack of bulk. He'll be among the best defensive

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist can't hit a jumper. At all. His motor and ability to finish around the rim (which is, admittedly, remarkable) bump his shooting percentage into a much higher range than it is in reality. He's already good defensively-- good enough to be among the upper echelon in that department. But he'll never be a 20-point a game scorer unless he fixes that shot. Think Gerald Wallace-- great guy to have on your team, glue guy... All Star? Not unless he (everyone together now) fixes his shot.

Terrence Jones has a reliable jump shot out to 15. He wants to shoot from 23. If you can reign in the latter and focus on the former, Jones could very well go 15/8/3 every night. He does a little bit of everything well. Even better, he's big enough to play a small stretch four and quick enough to play a big small forward, so he should provide some matchup problems. Defensively, he's already a plus with very good footwork and lateral movement, and a penchant for blocking shots from the weakside. Of course, he does disappear for quarters at a time, and he's been known to vapor lock at times. He could just as well go 8/4/1 at times that he doesn't feel like playing. If his motor runs at a high enough level, Jones will be a solid pick. (I think he's likely to be good, but not great as a pro.)

Harrison Barnes is a good spot up shooter from 21. He's not great with the ball, but does have a good first step. He's decent defensively, with very good quickness. He's a good finisher at the basket and should be more than willing to get out on the break. A 15-point a game shooter who'll play good defense is definitely something to value. I just don't think he's got the will to take over games.

Kendall Marshall is going to struggle in the NBA. He just can't shoot well enough to keep defenses honest. As a pass-first PG, he may end up starting for a lower echelon team, but he's a step (or two) slow and cannot guard anyone. At all. Those that compare him to Jason Kidd forget that Kidd was among the fastest players ever at his position when drafted. His ceiling is Mark Jackson/ Doc Rogers. His floor is one-year bust. I'd much rather gamble on Damion Lillard.

My sleeper is Tyler Zeller. He's already solid out to 18 and will likely be able to hit the three at a solid clip as he matures. His body is big enough to bang, but he's also got a solid first step and a good post-up game. He rebounds, blocks shots, and runs as well as anyone in the college game. More than that, he'll create some serious matchup problems, able to take bigs out and small in. I could see him, in the right system, dropping a 15/10/3/1.5 as a center/ power forward. (Portland is practically begging for a guy like Zeller to pair with Aldridge.)

My second sleeper in John Henson. His athleticism and burgeoning offensive game (those baby hooks with either hand are unstoppable) bely a great motor and vast untapped potential. Henson is likely to be better as a pro than in college, as the game will be more wide open and allow for more athletic moves. Add in monster defensive chops, and I think Henson has a chance to be an All Star and member of the All-Defensive team for a number of years.

In regards to Davis I thought he was a man amongst boys in college. He did develop a nice jumper as the season went along but the issue I see with Davis is he is going to face guys night in night out who can guard him. Davis is going to be a viable NBA player because he can play defense. I do question his offensive ability when he has someone who can actually guard him. I like comparisons but to compare Davis to two hall of famers is a little much. Davis dominated the game like no one in recent history but I think people forget how good Duncan was at Wake. Guys like Duncan and Camby took teams to the final four with a much weaker supporting cast.

Kidd-Gilchrist can get into the lane and to the rim. I think you can always work on your shot, he just has that ability that few players have.

Terrance Jones played on a team where he was facing the teams second best big man defender. He was a good player who was put in a unique position to succeed. The big question I have is similar to that of Davis, what will happen when he has a defender on him who can guard him? Few college teams are deep enough to run 2 good post defenders out there every night.

Your two sleepers are both UNC guys. Total UNC has a total of 4 guys potentially getting drafted in the pros. It raises a flag to me as to whether or not they benefitted from each others play or whether they all were that good. The thing with Henson is his bulk as well as his shooting. Will he be able to shoot the ball enough and will he be able to bang enough.

My two sleepers would be two Syracuse guys. I think Melo can be a Roy Hibbert type player, but on the Roy Hibbert type path. He won't be an over night success story but if you stick with him he can be a force inside. I haven't really seen anyone score at will like Waters. He took over games at times against good defenders and scored from the outside and around the rim.

I only really saw Beal play once and didn't remember him. He did nothing to stand out against OSU. The same can't be said about Rivers, who beat good defenders left and right.

WMR
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Judging Beal off of one game is incredibly foolish. He will be a top 5 pick.

Decent chance Sullinger is a bust, IMO. He is going to get his shot blocked a TON in the NBA.

MKG has a very weird release, but I've never seen a kid with such an ugly jumper make so many jump shots. IMO, MKG is the safest pick in this draft. His unbelievable work ethic sets the low-bar for his game at Gerald Wallace and I would not be surprised to see him end up much better than that.

AD is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. He is going to end up being a good shooter from 20 feet and in. I see him as a KG type player once his body develops a little bit more.

WMR
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Here's DraftExpress' mock:

2012 1st Round Mock
1 Hornets Anthony Davis PF
Kentucky, Freshman
2 Bobcats Thomas Robinson PF
Kansas, Junior
3 Wizards Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF
Kentucky, Freshman
4 Cavaliers Bradley Beal SG
Florida, Freshman
5 Kings Andre Drummond C
Connecticut, Freshman
6 Trailblazers Jared Sullinger C
Ohio State, Sophomore
7 Warriors Harrison Barnes SF
North Carolina, Sophomore
8 Raptors Jeremy Lamb SG
Connecticut, Sophomore
9 Pistons John Henson PF
North Carolina, Junior
10 Hornets Damian Lillard PG
Weber State, Junior
11 Trailblazers Kendall Marshall PG
North Carolina, Sophomore
12 Bucks Perry Jones PF
Baylor, Sophomore
13 Suns Austin Rivers SG
Duke, Freshman
14 Rockets Tyler Zeller C
North Carolina, Senior
15 76ers Terrence Jones PF
Kentucky, Sophomore
16 Rockets Terrence Ross SF
Washington, Sophomore
17 Mavericks Dion Waiters SG
Syracuse, Sophomore
18 Timberwolves Quincy Miller SF
Baylor, Freshman
19 Magic Moe Harkless SF
St. John's, Freshman
20 Nuggets Marquis Teague PG
Kentucky, Freshman
21 Celtics Meyers Leonard C
Illinois, Sophomore
22 Celtics Evan Fournier SG/SF
Poitiers, International
23 Hawks Arnett Moultrie PF/C
Mississippi St., Junior
24 Cavaliers Fab Melo C
Syracuse, Sophomore
25 Grizzlies Tony Wroten PG/SG
Washington, Freshman
26 Pacers Jeff Taylor SF
Vanderbilt, Senior
27 Heat Tyshawn Taylor PG
Kansas, Senior
28 Thunder Royce White PF
Iowa State, Sophomore
29 Bulls Orlando Johnson SG
UC Santa Barbara, Senior
30 Warriors Andrew Nicholson PF/C
St. Bonaventure, Senior

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1wZLiI0u4
http://www.draftexpress.com

WMR
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I would not touch Andre Drummond with a 10 foot pole in this draft. I think he has a greater chance of being a bust than anyone else in the lottery, by far.

He has one of the slowest motors I've ever seen in a big man.

Assembly Hall
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Barnes averaged 17 per game.

Wish I could flop that well.

Pre-season 1st team all-american before he even put on a Carolina uniform. Expectations were higher than 17 ppg.

bucksfan2
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Judging Beal off of one game is incredibly foolish. He will be a top 5 pick.

Decent chance Sullinger is a bust, IMO. He is going to get his shot blocked a TON in the NBA.

MKG has a very weird release, but I've never seen a kid with such an ugly jumper make so many jump shots. IMO, MKG is the safest pick in this draft. His unbelievable work ethic sets the low-bar for his game at Gerald Wallace and I would not be surprised to see him end up much better than that.

AD is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. He is going to end up being a good shooter from 20 feet and in. I see him as a KG type player once his body develops a little bit more.

Not judging him off of one game. Just surprised that he will be a top 5 pick. I saw Florida play a handful of times (with the OSU game being the only one from start to finish) and didn't notice anything great about him.

The thing with Sullinger is he knows how to play the low post. He has good footwork, does a good job of getting a shot up after making contact, and he has a very nice shot. Eventually he will be a guy who can hit the mid-range jumper and maybe even stretch it at times to a 3. His shot will get blocked and won't be able to play on the block the entire game. I think his key is how accurately can he hit the midrange jumper. I don't think he will be a bust nor would I draft him in the top 10.

WMR
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
You know what I think would maximize Sully's effectiveness in the NBA? Make sure he's paired with a Center who is a true low post threat.

Sullinger would be great on the Kings with Cuz but taking him at 5 is a stretch. I would still rather take my chances with Sully than Drummond.

Scrap Irony
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
In regards to Davis I thought he was a man amongst boys in college. He did develop a nice jumper as the season went along but the issue I see with Davis is he is going to face guys night in night out who can guard him.

Who among NBA centers is going to able to guard him both inside and out?

Kidd-Gilchrist can get into the lane and to the rim. I think you can always work on your shot, he just has that ability that few players have.

See, I see it as there are literally hundreds of guys that can get to the lane and rim, but, if defenders lay off him, how's he going to get there?

Terrance Jones played on a team where he was facing the teams second best big man defender. He was a good player who was put in a unique position to succeed. The big question I have is similar to that of Davis, what will happen when he has a defender on him who can guard him? Few college teams are deep enough to run 2 good post defenders out there every night.

Last season, Jones was the go-to low post guy and averaged 15.5/9/1.6/1.1 against the best the other team had to offer. He came back to Kentucky to win the championship. That tells me he's willing to sublimate his ego for the team.

Your two sleepers are both UNC guys. Total UNC has a total of 4 guys potentially getting drafted in the pros. It raises a flag to me as to whether or not they benefitted from each others play or whether they all were that good. The thing with Henson is his bulk as well as his shooting. Will he be able to shoot the ball enough and will he be able to bang enough.

Henson already shoots well out to 15, Zeller out to 18. Henson's jump hooks with either hand are impossible to block. As to banging, he did it well enough to average 10 rebounds and 3+ blocks per game. He may not, but others his size (Greg Monroe is, IMO, his closes comp) have done just fine.

My two sleepers would be two Syracuse guys. I think Melo can be a Roy Hibbert type player, but on the Roy Hibbert type path. He won't be an over night success story but if you stick with him he can be a force inside. I haven't really seen anyone score at will like Waters. He took over games at times against good defenders and scored from the outside and around the rim.

Like Melo, but don't expect any offense at all. He'll get 5-8 points a night, maybe scratch double figures at his peak. He just has no feel for anything other than a dunk. Even tip-ins are an adventure. Defensively, however, he could very well be exceptional. A 5/10/2+ block guy at C playing top-flight D would be great for a team like Miami.

I only really saw Beal play once and didn't remember him. He did nothing to stand out against OSU. The same can't be said about Rivers, who beat good defenders left and right.

Beals was outstanding in SEC play against top-flight defenses. Rebounding shooting guard who can shoot out to 25. Really nice upside.

improbus
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree with about everything Scrap said. My only concern is that Davis got absolutely shut down by Whithey. He had a hard time dealing with someone his size.

RiverRat13
06-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Henson had a FT rate of 32.9, absolutely terrible for a guy of his height. He is in fact afraid to mix it up inside offensively. For comparison, Zeller had a FT rate of 56.3 while Greg Monroe in his sophomore season at Gtown was over 53. Tough guys get to the line. Henson is no tough guy. I think he's the obvious bust of the four Carolina guys.

Anthony Davis will be a perennial All-Star. I wouldn't put money on anyone else in this draft to be one although a few certainly have the potential.

Scrap Irony
06-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I love this draft. There are a ton of draft picks that will be solid NBA players and quite a few, IMO, that could be outstanding.

WVRed
06-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree with about everything Scrap said. My only concern is that Davis got absolutely shut down by Whithey. He had a hard time dealing with someone his size.

Yet found other ways to dominate the game. Of course, he could have the same track as Greg Oden.

My crack at it:
1.New Orleans-Anthony Davis (C-Kentucky)
2.Charlotte-Thomas Robinson (PF-Kansas)
3.Washington-Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (SF-Kentucky)
4.Cleveland-Andre Drummond (C-UConn)
5.Sacramento-Bradley Beal (SG-Florida)
6.Portland-Jared Sullinger (C-Ohio State)
7.Golden State-Terrence Jones (PF-Kentucky)
8.Toronto-Harrison Barnes (SF-North Carolina)
9.Detroit-Jeremy Lamb (SG-UConn)
10.New Orleans-John Henson (PF-North Carolina)
11.Portland-Damian Lillard (PG-Weber State)
12.Milwaukee-Tyler Zeller (C-North Carolina)
13.Phoenix-Dion Waiters (SG-Syracuse)
14.Houston-Austin Rivers (SG-Duke)
15.Philadelphia-Terrence Ross (SF-Washington)
16.Houston-Kendall Marshall (PG-North Carolina)
17.Dallas-Quincy Miller (SF-Baylor)
18.Minnesota-Royce White (PF-Iowa State)
19.Orlando-Marquis Teague (PG-Kentucky)
20.Denver-Arnett Moultrie (PF-Mississippi State)
21.Boston-Doron Lamb (SG-Kentucky)
22.Boston-Moe Harkless (SF-St Johns)
23.Atlanta-Myers Leonard (C-Illinois)
24.Cleveland-Jeffery Taylor (SF-Vanderbilt)
25.Memphis-Fab Melo (C-Syracuse)
26.Indiana-Festus Ezeli (C-Vanderbilt)
27.Miami-John Jenkins (SG-Vanderbilt)
28.Oklahoma City-Andrew Nicholson (PF-St Bonaventure)
29.Chicago-Kevin Jones (PF-West Virginia)
30.Golden State-Darius Miller (SF-Kentucky)

Betterread
06-02-2012, 12:54 AM
You know what I think would maximize Sully's effectiveness in the NBA? Make sure he's paired with a Center who is a true low post threat.

Sullinger would be great on the Kings with Cuz but taking him at 5 is a stretch. I would still rather take my chances with Sully than Drummond.

On what planet is counsins a center? Chuck Hayes was Sacto's center this year, which should tell you something.
Drummond is legit. He has a lot of potential if he remains healthy, and accepts his coaching.

improbus
06-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Yet found other ways to dominate the game. Of course, he could have the same track as Greg Oden.
My love affair with Davis knows no bounds (I wore a unibrow to work often during the tournament), but I hope people aren't expecting Tim Duncan. He is much closer to the Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby range of center, with better shooting range (if NBA teams let him do it).

Speaking of shooting range, that reminded me of a story about Camby. In the NBA, he gets putbacks and dunks and that is about it on the offensive end. But, I have a friend who played against him in a pickup game when Marcus was younger. MArcus decided that he wanted to run the point, and so he ran the offense and shot 3's...and dominated. It just goes to show you how good these guys are.

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
My love affair with Davis knows no bounds (I wore a unibrow to work often during the tournament), but I hope people aren't expecting Tim Duncan. He is much closer to the Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby range of center, with better shooting range (if NBA teams let him do it).

Speaking of shooting range, that reminded me of a story about Camby. In the NBA, he gets putbacks and dunks and that is about it on the offensive end. But, I have a friend who played against him in a pickup game when Marcus was younger. MArcus decided that he wanted to run the point, and so he ran the offense and shot 3's...and dominated. It just goes to show you how good these guys are.

Well I hope he turns out better than Camby or Chandler. Davis is what, 19 years old? He hasnt developed physically fully yet. He is like no player I have ever seen at the collegiate level. How does he translate to the NBA? I dont know, but to me there is no comparison out there. But I would agree with WMR, KG is the closest thing to him.

Revering4Blue
06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
On what planet is counsins a center? Chuck Hayes was Sacto's center this year, which should tell you something.
Drummond is legit. He has a lot of potential if he remains healthy, and accepts his coaching.

I agree. IMHO, aside from Davis, Drummond possesses a much higher ceiling than any player in this draft, followed by Barnes, Perry Jones and Terrence Jones--in no particular order.

If you are Charlotte, and you are most assuredly going to participate in next year's lottery, why not swing for the fences? How have the "safe" picks been working out for the Bobcats?

Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist may well develop into decent players, but do not possess star potential ceilings. As of right now, I wouldn't draft either one with the second pick.

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree. IMHO, aside from Davis, Drummond possesses a much higher ceiling than any player in this draft, followed by Barnes, Perry Jones and Terrence Jones--in no particular order.

If you are Charlotte, and you are most assuredly going to participate in next year's lottery, why not swing for the fences? How have the "safe" picks been working out for the Bobcats?

Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist may well develop into decent players, but do not possess star potential ceilings. As of right now, I wouldn't draft either one with the second pick.

If I were the Bobcats I would take Beal.

Revering4Blue
06-02-2012, 11:21 AM
If I were the Bobcats I would take Beal.

Of the "safe" picks, I'd certainly take Beal over Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist. Beal's ceiling is higher, that's for sure. Beal will be off the board by the 4th pick.

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Of the "safe" picks, I'd certainly take Beal over Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist. Beal's ceiling is higher, that's for sure. Beal will be off the board by the 4th pick.

I agree. I think Beal is one of the few "impact" players out there. Davis and Beal then ????????? This draft does not impress me in the least. Quite a few "talented" players in it, but very few glare out at me.

Scrap Irony
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Charlotte's guards aren't horrid. They need shooters, scorers, interior defense, and rebounding. Hence, Robinson. They could also gamble on Drummond, I suppose. (I question his production, however. At least Cousins produced with his poor attitude/ supposed work ethic problems. Drummond's been disappointing across the board.)

Were I Charlotte, I'd go with Robinson, and, early in the 2nd, Darius Miller. (Miller's a SF/SG with very good rage and above average defense. He's also shown an affinity for both starting and as sixth man. Of course, if Vandy's Taylor is there, I'd take him first, I think. I'd also think about Jenkins.)

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Charlotte's guards aren't horrid. They need shooters, scorers, interior defense, and rebounding. Hence, Robinson. They could also gamble on Drummond, I suppose. (I question his production, however. At least Cousins produced with his poor attitude/ supposed work ethic problems. Drummond's been disappointing across the board.)

They need everything including the kitchen sink! Beal is young and has the chance to grow a tad more. He has the potential to be the face of the franchise, and a NBA All-Star. I dont see that in Robinson or Drummond quite frankly. But what do I know..........I thought Ralph Sampson, Waymon Tisdale, and Christian Laettner were sure fire locks in the HOF.:(

Scrap Irony
06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Ralph Sampson is in the Hall of Fame.

I'd go Robinson and grab a shooter early in the Second Round. Right now, it looks like Darius Miller or Jeffrey Taylor (perhaps Jenkins) are the best shooters available. They'll also have some decent cash for free agents.

That team, with free agents and draftees, looks solidly average:
K. Walker PG
JR Smith SG
Magette SF
Robinson PF
Biyombo C
Augustin PG
Henderson SG
Miller/ Taylor SG
Novak F
Mullens C

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Ralph Sampson is in the Hall of Fame.

I'd go Robinson and grab a shooter early in the Second Round. Right now, it looks like Darius Miller or Jeffrey Taylor (perhaps Jenkins) are the best shooters available. They'll also have some decent cash for free agents.

That team, with free agents and draftees, looks solidly average:
K. Walker PG
JR Smith SG
Magette SF
Robinson PF
Biyombo C
Augustin PG
Henderson SG
Miller/ Taylor SG
Novak F
Mullens C

So is Cheryl Miller. She had quite the NBA playing career!

I cant disagee with what you put up there. Solidly average very well could land a play-off spot.

Revering4Blue
06-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Do you really believe that Biyombo's natural position is center? I don't.

Biyombo is better suited for PF, so is Robinson, of course. Robinson projects as a Derrick Williams/Patrick Patterson type. IDK, but it seems as if the #2 overall pick's ceiling should be higher than that.

http://nbadraft.net/players/thomas-robinson

texasdave
06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
xxx

WVRed
06-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Not expecting Tim Duncan at all. I was responding to how Withey shut Davis down in the national championship. He still had 16 rebounds and six blocks and his defensive presence changed the way teams attack the rim.

I think it will be interesting to see where Davis plays, if its at center or PF. If he's a center, he will either have to bulk up or he will be pushed around by the likes of Dwight Howard. PF would be a better fit in that if he keeps showing his shooting touch toward the end of last season he will make it even harder to guard him.

Scrap Irony
06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Do you really believe that Biyombo's natural position is center? I don't.

Biyombo is better suited for PF, so is Robinson, of course. Robinson projects as a Derrick Williams/Patrick Patterson type. IDK, but it seems as if the #2 overall pick's ceiling should be higher than that.

http://nbadraft.net/players/thomas-robinson

From that same blurb about Robinson:

Overall: Robinson is one of the safer picks around the top of the draft ... He has the tools and the work ethic to become an ideal pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop kind of power forward ... Once Robinson polishes his post moves and jump shot, he should be a fixture in a team's starting lineup for a long time ... A likely top-5 pick ...

From WalterCamp

Strengths:
NBA-ready body
Strong rebounder
Toughness
Fierce competitor
Athleticism
Explosive at the rim
Footwork in the post
Has blow-by ability with a couple power dribbles
Decent mid-range jumper
Great outlet passer
Brings terrific energy to the floor
Guards on the perimeter well for his size

In Charlotte, he will defend, rebound, and pick and roll with both Kemba and Henderson to great effect. He's NBA ready right now, and there's not another power forward in this draft who's as good at as many things as Robinson. He also has upside he hasn't touched yet.

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
The one thing that bothers me about T-Rob is where in the hell was he two years ago? This aint some raw, high school kid that played one year and is done at the college level. All of the sudden he is a safe pick? To me that means the pickens are slim.

Revering4Blue
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
The one thing that bothers me about T-Rob is where in the hell was he two years ago? This aint some raw, high school kid that played one year and is done at the colllimege level. All of the sudden he is a safe pick? To me that means the pickens are slim.

Well, I'm not going to go that far. I actually agree with Scrap's overall assessment of this draft class--Lots of solid players, some of which may prove to be outstanding. I just disagree with the direction in which the Bobcats should take.

Again, Robinson should be a nice player, a good piece for an established team/team with cornerstones (I.E Washington) in place, but he has a very limited chance of blossoming into a franchise player.

Until last year with Biyombo, who appears to be the best pick in franchise history already, the Bobcats have always gone for the safe, good looking college player that is a "winner" and has "heart' (Okafor, Felton, May, Morrison, Henderson, etc.) Where has that gotten them?

Choose the most likely franchise player. Higher Risk-Higher Reward. You're a lottery team next year, anyway, so you may as well go down swinging for the fences.

Assembly Hall
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Again, Robinson should be a nice player, a good piece for an established team/team with cornerstones (I.E Washington) in place, but he has a very limited chance of blossoming into a franchise player.

Until last year with Biyombo, who appears to be the best pick in franchise history already, the Bobcats have always gone for the safe, good looking college player that is a "winner" and has "heart' (Okafor, Felton, May, Morrison, Henderson, etc.) Where has that gotten them?

Choose the most likely franchise player. Higher Risk-Higher Reward. You're a lottery team next year, anyway, so you may as well go down swinging for the fences.

Agreed.

improbus
06-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Agreed.

This is the ultimate excuse machine for GM's as well. "Well, the kid didn't pan out the way we wanted him to."

improbus
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
So is Cheryl Miller. She had quite the NBA playing career!

I cant disagee with what you put up there. Solidly average very well could land a play-off spot.

That is a team that will have the worst FG% in the NBA. There isn't an efficient offensive player (outside of maybe Maggette - who is a train wreck) on the roster.

improbus
06-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Not expecting Tim Duncan at all. I was responding to how Withey shut Davis down in the national championship. He still had 16 rebounds and six blocks and his defensive presence changed the way teams attack the rim.

I think it will be interesting to see where Davis plays, if its at center or PF. If he's a center, he will either have to bulk up or he will be pushed around by the likes of Dwight Howard. PF would be a better fit in that if he keeps showing his shooting touch toward the end of last season he will make it even harder to guard him.

I agree. But the current narrative is that Davis is going to turn around a franchise, and I'm still not completely convinced he's that player. He could be Garnett, but it is hard to equate college big man play to the pros. He will need to play on the right team with the right guys around him. He needs another guy who can play man defense against the better post up players, because he is not nearly as good at man defense.

Really, his best current comp in the NBA might be Serge Ibaka. Davis is taller, but they have similar offensive games.

Assembly Hall
06-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree. But the current narrative is that Davis is going to turn around a franchise, and I'm still not completely convinced he's that player. He could be Garnett, but it is hard to equate college big man play to the pros. He will need to play on the right team with the right guys around him. He needs another guy who can play man defense against the better post up players, because he is not nearly as good at man defense.

Really, his best current comp in the NBA might be Serge Ibaka. Davis is taller, but they have similar offensive games.

Cant disagree with a word you said there. I do think Davis will be an immediate impact player. Does he need help? Yes. One piece is already there in one Eric Gordon. And Gordon's game does fit in to what Davis was used to at UK. I also think he needs the help in the post and I am sure they will address that.

Scrap Irony
06-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Okafor is there already.

Between them, one will stand up a defender while the other swats the shot from the weakside. That should make New Orleans' interior defense among the best in the league. Davis will likely be paired with power forwards (which should, in part, negate the need to gain weight immediately). He's so good at challenging jump shooters, he should be outstanding on the perimeter and still have the quickness to alter shots on the inside.

Offensively, he'll need a deep shooter or three and a guard adept at the pick-and-roll. Voila-- Eric Gordon is a very good deep shooter/ slasher and Jarrett Jack was a great find as a pick and roll PG last season. (Second in the league in assists, mainly off the p-&-r set.)

He's compared to Garnett because he has a similar jump shot out to 20 feet, blow by ability with the ball, and athelticism that few possess. His handle is phenomenal as well.

In short, he'll create mismatches with anyone opposing coaches choose to guard him with. If you go big, he'll pick and pop with a PG or shoot from 15. If you go small, he'll post up.

Add in an outstanding basketball IQ, and he'll make moves as he matures, a la Garnett, that few will match.

Right now, he's probably a 15/10/5 guy as a tertiary option. As a secondary option, bump his points up two or three, perhaps four. As the primary option, he'll go for 23/11/5.

Since high volume shooters like Gordon need the ball in their hands, and Davis is adept at playing for tips and offensive rebounds most of the time, I suspect NOLA will run a pick-and-roll variation with both Gordon (or Jack, depending on hot hand/ guarding options) and Davis.

I think that will make him the secondary option behind Gordon, with Jack/ draftee PG (Lillard, if he's available, would be ideal) as the third option. (The Hornets could also use a long-distance bomber as a SF to pair with Ariza as a slasher. Xavier Henry may develop as that long-range guy-- he did shoot 41% from 3-point range last season.) Okafor is the garbage man, cleaning up the misses.

Assembly Hall
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Good stuff Scrap. Too bad they are in the West. I think the addition of Davis would get them into contention for the play-offs in the East. I wonder if Davis would be better utilized at the 3 spot? Hmmmmmmm

Scrap Irony
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Davis doesn't have the range on his jumper that's needed to be a true SF. He's also likely a half step slow defensively.

As to making the playoffs, NOLA would need career years from Ariza, Okafor, and Kaman, along with a very good year from Gordon to even sniff the playoffs yet. They'll need at least one more year, perhaps two in the lottery.

improbus
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Davis did only shoot 27% on his jumpers and took about 1 a game. So, let's be careful to compare him to Kevin Garnett, who is one of the great mid range players of all time. I see him playing the Tyson Chandler role on offense for the first few years of his career.

Assembly Hall
06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajowan had no jumper when they entered the league.

improbus
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajowan had no jumper when they entered the league.
He's a great kids with a great work ethic, out of this world athleticism, and a defensive command over a game. I'm not saying he can't develop those things. He could be the next Hakeem. But I don't want to ascribe anything to him until he actually does it. I'm very afraid of the weight of expectations for Davis (see Oden, Greg).

Assembly Hall
06-03-2012, 03:37 PM
He's a great kids with a great work ethic, out of this world athleticism, and a defensive command over a game. I'm not saying he can't develop those things. He could be the next Hakeem. But I don't want to ascribe anything to him until he actually does it. I'm very afraid of the weight of expectations for Davis (see Oden, Greg).

I wasnt trying to compare him to either. I was just pointing out that Patrick and Hakeem showed us something they didnt exhibit at the collegiate level. Who knows what the "Unibrowed one" will bring to the table at the next level, but I am sure we havent seen the full arsenal yet.

WMR
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Davis' jumper was MUCH MUCH better at the end of his freshman season than it was at the beginning. He expanded his game throughout his freshman year. His stroke is pure. He will be just as good a jump shooter as KG. The kid still has a guard's game at heart, he's just turned into a defensive, shot-blocking phenom as well.

WMR
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
On what planet is counsins a center?

Planet Earth.

Welcome. :lol:

Assembly Hall
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Davis' jumper was MUCH MUCH better at the end of his freshman season than it was at the beginning. He expanded his game throughout his freshman year. His stroke is pure. He will be just as good a jump shooter as KG. The kid still has a guard's game at heart, he's just turned into a defensive, shot-blocking phenom as well.

I agree.

WVRed
06-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Interesting trade today: The Wizards acquired Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from the Hornets for Rashard Lewis and a 2nd round pick. The Wizards were supposed to be a lock for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but are now looking at Bradley Beal, who is a better shooter and would be better as a SG.

I'm predicting a drop for MKG similar to the one Paul Pierce had. MKG reminds me of Pierce coming out of college in so many ways with the motor and slashing ability, but shooting questions coming out. I might try an updated mock if I get time later on this week, but the wedding might be an issue. ;)

jmac
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Interesting trade today: The Wizards acquired Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from the Hornets for Rashard Lewis and a 2nd round pick. The Wizards were supposed to be a lock for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but are now looking at Bradley Beal, who is a better shooter and would be better as a SG.

I'm predicting a drop for MKG similar to the one Paul Pierce had. MKG reminds me of Pierce coming out of college in so many ways with the motor and slashing ability, but shooting questions coming out. I might try an updated mock if I get time later on this week, but the wedding might be an issue. ;)
I agree with the red part above on MKG.

Chip R
06-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Problems for Jared Sullinger.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8069495/2012-nba-draft-docs-medically-red-flag-jared-sullinger-sources-say

TeamSelig
06-21-2012, 08:58 PM
I'll post a full mock once it gets a little closer to draft night, but here is my top 10:

1 Hornets - Davis
2 Bobcats - Robinson
3 Wizards - B. Beal
4 Cavaliers - H. Barnes
5 Kings - M. Kidd-Gilchrist
6 Trailblazers - A. Drummond
7 Warriors - T. Ross
8 Raptors - J. Lamb
9 Pistons - J. Henson
10 Hornets - D. Lillard

I am a little stumped at the Warriors pick. I had them selecting Sullinger, but with his health concerns, I believe they actually came out and stated that they weren't selecting him. I have him falling to #19 to Orlando.

Revering4Blue
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=WVRed;2636136]Interesting trade today: The Wizards acquired Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from the Hornets for Rashard Lewis and a 2nd round pick. The Wizards were supposed to be a lock for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but are now looking at Bradley Beal, who is a better shooter and would be better as a SG.

I'm predicting a drop for MKG similar to the one Paul Pierce had. MKG reminds me of Pierce coming out of college in so many ways with the motor and slashing ability, but shooting questions coming out. I might try an updated mock if I get time later on this week, but the wedding might be an issue. ;)[/QUOTE

If the Wizards truly covet Beal, they may have to trade up to #2. If the Wiz don't trade up to #2, I can see the Cavs doing so, as the players they reportedly covet--Beal and Barnes--may be off the board by #4.

As for MKG, I don't see him falling past #5 unless Robinson is still on the board at that time.

TeamSelig
06-22-2012, 12:15 AM
The 2-6 tier is so close, I don't see any shuffling between those teams.

Robinson
MKG
Beal
Barnes
Drummond

Revering4Blue
06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Looks like SI.com's Sam Amick agrees with me.

As Charlotte continues to ponder its decision at No. 2, numerous executives expect the Bobcats to be approached by Cleveland (No. 4) about the possibility of swapping picks (if it hasn't happened already) in order for the Cavaliers to land Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal. While Cavs point guard Kyrie Irving is known to be a huge proponent of drafting North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes, it appears Beal has shot up their big board just as he has so many others, and it's widely believed that he won't get past Washington at No. 3 if they don't make a move.

The Cavs have four picks (Nos. 4, 24, 33, 34), and those could be enticing to the Bobcats as assets should they decide to pursue both quality and quantity in this draft. It would make some sense, considering they're coming off such a horrific season (league-record-low winning percentage of .106) and need so much roster help. What's more, if the widely held opinion that Washington would take Kentucky small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at the No. 3 spot if Beal was gone held true, the Bobcats could still get Barnes at No. 4 if that's the direction they wanted to go

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/21/draft-buzz-bobcats-bradley-beal/index.html#?sct=nba_t2_a4

knuckleballah22
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Davis is a lock for 1st overall IMO

WVRed
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Davis is a lock for 1st overall IMO

I don't think anybody's debating that. :)

Revering4Blue
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
As the Houston Rockets prepare for a run at Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, they've secured another top 20 pick in the NBA draft, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets traded forward Chase Budinger to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the 18th overall pick in the draft, giving Houston the 14th, 16th and 18th picks in Thursday's draft.

The Rockets included the rights to Israeli Lior Eliyahu in the deal with Minnesota.

Revering4Blue
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Long, but well worth reading.

Days before NBA draft, scouts size up Anthony Davis, Brad Beal, more

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/06/25/NBA-draft/index.html

Assembly Hall
06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Long, but well worth reading.

Days before NBA draft, scouts size up Anthony Davis, Brad Beal, more

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/06/25/NBA-draft/index.html

Some good stuff there! :thumbup:

Revering4Blue
06-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Per Rotoworld.

The Rockets have traded Samuel Dalembert and the No. 14 pick to the Bucks in exchange for the No. 12 pick, Jon Brockman, Jon Leuer and Shaun Livingston.

This seems like a slam dunk for Milwaukee. The draft pick difference is minimal, Brockman and Leuer are both low-end NBA power forwards (an overflowing position for the Bucks), Livingston was expendable, and the Bucks address their most glaring roster need: a quality starting center. Dalembert (who will earn $6.7 million in the final year of his deal) immediately slots into the C position ahead of Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sanders and Drew Gooden, and he should easily exceed the 22 minutes per game he averaged for Houston last season.

Revering4Blue
06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
More NBA Mock Draft's than you'll have time to peruse.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/mocks/NBAMocks.htm

texasdave
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
What do people that follow the NBA closely think the chances are of Houston trading for Dwight Howard? You think it is a good move to give up a lot of assets for a possible one-year rental?

Assembly Hall
06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
What do people that follow the NBA closely think the chances are of Houston trading for Dwight Howard? You think it is a good move to give up a lot of assets for a possible one-year rental?

I dont really follow the NBA Dave, but I dont like that deal in any shape of form for the Rockets.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2012, 08:32 AM

I think the chances are better than average, I think it is completely foolish to do so unless they make a real hard run at Deron Williams in a few days in spite of the fact he also doesn't seem interested. If they can convince Deron they have the assets to get Dwight he might bite, or at least give him enough pause to give them the time to pull it off. It is close enough to his hometown to be a solid consideration.

Assembly Hall
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I think the chances are better than average, I think it is completely foolish to do so unless they make a real hard run at Deron Williams in a few days in spite of the fact he also doesn't seem interested. If they can convince Deron they have the assets to get Dwight he might bite, or at least give him enough pause to give them the time to pull it off. It is close enough to his hometown to be a solid consideration.

Now that would change my thinking comletely. If the Rockets have their eye on both then go after it.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
It isn't looking like my Bulls are gonna make much of a splash tonight, bummer. I was hoping for a jump into the top 10-12 at least, the wing from U of Washington Terrence Ross interests me. Late I am liking Will Barton, Jeff Taylor and I might even take a chance on Tony Wroten Jr. if he is still there. Give me the talent and see what they can get out of them. I may even trade down with either Cleveland or GS for their 2 2nd rounders (preferably Cleveland), probably the smart thing to do considering the $$$'s.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM

I think it's a great move. Houston needs fannies in the seats, and Howard would provide that. Too, with the way their roster is set up, Houston has a ton of decent role players but no true superstar. Assuming some combination of Houston's three first-round picks and Kyle Lowry are given up to land the former Magic center, it's a no-brainer.

Adding Howard would likely give them a starting lineup of:
Goran Dragic PG
(Just as good as Lowry last season in slightly less minutes per game. Too, he's only 25 and could develop further.)
Kevin Martin SG
(Likely to be dealt, but, for now, a solid to above average NBA shooter with great length. Also plays the small forward at times.)
Courtney Lee/ Chandler Parsons SF
(Both are solid role players, but neither is above average. Still, between them, Lee and Parson put up 20 per game. Not a poor option, though finding a shooter might help the team a great deal.)
Luis Scola PF
(Scola's the greaybeard of the bunch, at 31. He's a good perimeter shooter who can also bang. Can play C for extended minutes, if need be, a huge bonus.)

Put Howard with that group, and you've got a team that can shoot, defend, and rebound with the best of them. With Howard, they'd create matchup problems offensively with anyone in the West and could guard just about any team with one guy. Add a strong, forward-heavy bench rotation of Parsons, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, and whatever scrap heap guard they can find, and the Rockets would become instant contenders in the West.

If they stand pat, Houston would probably have a shot at a top ten guy by giving up Lowry and the 16th pick. (I'm betting that Toronto would make that deal.) If that's the case, I'd go Autin Rivers at 8, Terrence Ross at 12, and Terrence Jones at 18. They have the 38th pick as well-- I'd likely go with Kim English as a SG. That gives them a rotation of:
Dragic/ FA PG
Martin/ English SG
Ross/ Parsons/ Lee SF
Marcus Morris/ Patterson/ Jones PF
Scola C

Again, it's not bad. Three 15+ PPG scorers. At least two really good shooters on the floor to go along with a PG that likes to drive and dish. Rebounders aplenty and some matchup problems for other teams to worry about at C, PF, and SG.

But it doesn't have that superstar player, and it makes McHale's team seriously dependent on youth. (No one on the team older than 31, and only one player older than 28.) Now, they might decide to find a free agent or two, as there are tons of guys out there (and will be more as teams get rid of poor contract decisions) to round out the bench. That team might get a four seed if everything worked out perfectly.

Better, IMO, to reach for the stars.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
It isn't looking like my Bulls are gonna make much of a splash tonight, bummer. I was hoping for a jump into the top 10-12 at least, the wing from U of Washington Terrence Ross interests me. Late I am liking Will Barton, Jeff Taylor and I might even take a chance on Tony Wroten Jr. if he is still there. Give me the talent and see what they can get out of them. I may even trade down with either Cleveland or GS for their 2 2nd rounders (preferably Cleveland), probably the smart thing to do considering the $$$'s.

Were I Chicago, I'd go Doron Lamb. He's a combo guard who can shoot. If they can re-sign Lucas, he'd be nice to see coming off the bench.

For the second round, I really like Darius Miller and Kim English. Both have NBA range, slashing ability, and could conceivably play more than one position. (Miller can play three, perhaps four.)

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
A few interesting tibits/rumors floating around out there:

1) Reportedly, Charlotte has at least 5 offers on the table for pick #2. With no clear cut #2 talent on the board--Beal is the most highly sought after--they need to trade down and stockpile as many assets as possible.

2) An interesting rumor: Noah and pick #29--possibly more--to the Kings for Tyreke Evans and pick # 5.

3) Should the Rockets fail to land Howard, they reportedly have a deal on the table for Josh Smith, who obviously will not command 3 #1s and Lowry.

FWIW, I'd pull the trigger on Howard, were I Houston and Orlando's not going to be presented with a better deal than than a potential Rocket package, more than likely.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 07:00 PM
According to ESPN's Marc Stein and Chad Ford, the Kings may be able to acquire Kyle Lowry and two of Houston's three first-round picks (No. 12, 14 and 18) in return for the No. 5 pick. But, per the story, if Kansas forward Thomas Robinson drops to the Kings at No. 5, Sacramento will likely pass on the trade.

Kings G.M Geoff Petrie, I have a question for you?

Are You Crazy?

You have a chance to walk out if this draft with Lowry, Harkless and Henson, to name a few, and you'll pass this deal up to draft a player who most likely will not even come close to approximating a franchise player?

Take

the

deal.

Gallen5862
06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
ESPN reported that Cleveland is offering Charlotte picks 4 and 24 and 33 for the Bobcats picks 2 and 31.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
ESPN reported that Cleveland is offering Charlotte picks 4 and 24 and 33 for the Bobcats picks 2 and 31.

That makes all kinds of sense for both teams. Cleveland also owns the 34th pick.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 07:21 PM
1) Were I Charlotte, I'd make the deal with Cleveland. Robinson, IMO, is the most ready college player and a likely double-double power forward. They could also grab a nice late first-round guy at 24 (Jeff Taylor, Fab Melo, Perry Jones), and still grab a second-round shooter at guard, like English from Mizzou, Jenkins from Vandy, or Lamb / Miller from Kentucky, at 33. Add that to Ben Gordon (I like that move) and a couple lower-level free agents (Chicago might be looking for amnesty for Dieng, for example, or Jason Terry, Randy Foye, Kenyon Martin, Chris Kaman, Jameer Nelson, etc.) looking for starting nods, and Charlotte is going to get better, IMO.

2) Were I Sacramento, I'd grab Noah in lieu of Evans in a nano-second. Love him. And the 29th pick is also okay, as they can still grab a shooter.

3) Josh Smith is okay, and, for the cost, he might be a decent answer. How much would the Hawks want, though?

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Kings G.M Geoff Petrie, I have a question for you?

Are You Crazy?

You have a chance to walk out if this draft with Lowry, Harkless and Henson, to name a few, and you'll pass this deal up to draft a player who most likely will not even come close to approximating a franchise player?

Take

the

deal.

That's a no-doubter.

Lowry at PG
Draftee (Ross? Rivers?) at SG
Evans at SF
Draftee (Jones? Sullinger? Moultrie?) at PF
Cousins at C

Nice, that. Young. Upside. Power stud down low, Shooter at SG and PG. No weak sister in that group either.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
So, are we going to witness several teams picking players that will soon be wearing a different team's uniform?

If Beal goes #2, that should tell us something.

Also, should Drummond land in Sacto at #5, that may indicate that a deal with the Rockets will go down. Any potential deal involving Howard must include a young center.

Just my two cents.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
BIG surprise with MKG and Charlotte at the number two pick.

Questionable, IMO, as he's not a great shooter, and Charlotte kinds sucks at that.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Beal as a sniper from long distance with Wall, Nene, Ariza, and Vesely.

Add Okafor, Blatche, Crawford, Trevor Booker, and Seraphim, and the Wizards might actually make the playoffs next season.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Cleveland goes Dion Waiters.

Major surprise.

He never started a game in college.

Shocked they didn't go Barnes.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
BIG surprise with MKG and Charlotte at the number two pick.

Questionable, IMO, as he's not a great shooter, and Charlotte kinds sucks at that.

An interesting comp for MKG (per some draft site) James Worthy.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Thomas Robinson goes fifth to Sacramento.

No deal with Houston, apparently.

Like his game. Question the move.

Isiah Thomas PG
Marcus Thornton SG
Tyreke Evans SF
Thomas Robinson PF
Demarcus Cousins C

Salmons and Fredette as backups in the backcourt, Chuck Hayes in the frontcourt.

Need help, IMO.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
An interesting comp for MKG (per some draft site) James Worthy.

If MKG turns into Worthy, I'll be shocked. Love the aggressiveness, but he's turnover prone and can't shoot. He's got a high floor, though. I see Gerald Wallace.

texasdave
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Six picks in and the second-best player in the draft still not selected. IMO, that is. Andre Drummond.

texasdave
06-28-2012, 08:09 PM
What is David Stern? About 4 foot 6? Even Damian Lillard towers over him.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Well I do have to say, Sacremento does seem to be the best fit for Robinson. He compliments Cousin's game well.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Six picks in and the second-best player in the draft still not selected. IMO, that is. Andre Drummond.

From the potential franchise player standpoint, I agree.

But we are definitely in the minority. Hey, the contrarian role can be fun. :D

WMR
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Drummond is my #1 pick to be a bust. :lol:

I can't really remember the last "elite" big man I saw with a slower motor.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Really like Lillard as a combo guard, especially in Portland. I'm guessing they find a free agent point to mentor him (Kidd would be ideal, IMO). With Wes Matthews likely to improve at SG and Aldridge underneath, they have a nice nucleus and a TON of money to spend.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Drummond is my #1 pick to be a bust. :lol:

I can't really remember the last "elite" big man I saw with a slower motor.

I don't believe it's his motor as much as it is he seems to be feeling/thinking his way thru things at times. Defensively he doesn't look motorless if you will, it comes more natural.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Barnes as a shooter to Golden State makes their starting five really tough:
Stephen Curry PG
Klay Thompson SG
Harrison Barnes SF
David Lee PF
Andrew Bogut C

Biedrins (who should play better) as a backup to the injury prone Bogut is nice, too. (As is the fact he can play some PF as well.) They also have a couple more picks to make tonight.

Fearless prediction number one: Golden State makes the playoffs next season.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Toronto goes Terrence Ross, an over-draft, IMO. They should have traded down.

Not that I dislike Ross' game. Love it.

Raptors are now, IMO, going all-in chasing Steve Nash at PG.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Detroit makes the gamble on Drummond.

Really nice move, IMO.

He'll need to defend immediately (which I think he will). With Greg Monroe's ability to pass, Drummond might find a couple shots a game fall in his lap. Really needs to work on his free throws.

Knight G
Stuckey G
Prince SF
Monroe PF
Drummond C

Solid start, but there's a ton of work to do in Detroit.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
New Orleans goes with Rivers, a shooter who demands the ball. I'm guessing he starts with Gordon in the backcourt. With Davis at PF and Aminu and Xavier Henry as the erstwhile SF combo, they have a nice nucleus. Still a work in progress, though. They need a big or three badly.

This might make Kaman a priority in NOLA.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
At worst, Drummond is DeAndre Jordan. The Kwame Brown comparisons are laughable. Brown was/is never a shotblocker at all. He may not reach it, but his upside is higher than anyone in this draft not named Davis.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Meyers Leonard is Portland's second pick.

This might be the first pick I don't like. He's weak and isn't as productive as his athletic numbers sugest. With Zeller and Henson still out there, this makes little sense.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
At worst, Drummond is DeAndre Jordan. The Kwame Brown comparisons are laughable. Brown was/is never a shotblocker at all. He may not reach it, but his upside is higher than anyone in this draft not named Davis.

At worst, he's Michael Olawakandi.

And I'd argue Austin Rivers' upside is higher. (But I think guards/ ballhandlers have become the most important aspect of the NBA.)

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
New Orleans goes with Rivers, a shooter who demands the ball. I'm guessing he starts with Gordon in the backcourt. With Davis at PF and Aminu and Xavier Henry as the erstwhile SF combo, they have a nice nucleus. Still a work in progress, though. They need a big or three badly.

This might make Kaman a priority in NOLA.

Word is that they are targeting Gonzaga's Robert Sacre in the 2nd round, FWIW.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Word is that they are targeting Gonzaga's Robert Sacre in the 2nd round, FWIW.

Love Sacre's game. We'll see.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Houston's first pick (of 1,000, it seems) is Jeremy Lamb.

Nice pick here. Can play SG or SF. Shoots, rebounds, long arms. A bit streaky. It wouldn't shock me to see him go 15/6/3 a night as a rookie in fairly limited minutes. If they keep these picks, the Rockets have a chance to completely re-make their team.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Phoenix, who needs all sorts of help, chooses Kendall Marshall.

Marshall isn't, imo, a great pick. He couldn't play defense in college-- how's he going to do when the players are far more athletic? His shot release is s l o w and is inconsistent at best.

If Nash re-signs with the Suns, they may have the worst defense in the NBA.

Ick.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Henson to the Bucks. Will Zeller be there for Houston at 16?

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Phoenix, who needs all sorts of help, chooses Kendall Marshall.

Marshall isn't, imo, a great pick. He couldn't play defense in college-- how's he going to do when the players are far more athletic? His shot release is s l o w and is inconsistent at best.

If Nash re-signs with the Suns, they may have the worst defense in the NBA.

Ick.

Agreed. IMHO, Marshall is the most likely bust of the lottery selections.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Milwaukee, who got a nice C in Dalembert earlier in the week, grab John Henson, my sleeper pick of the night.

Brandon Jennings PG
Monta Ellis SG
Mbah a Moute/ Tobias Harris/ Michael Dunleavy SF
John Henson PF
Dalembert C

This likely means Ilyasova is gone from Milwaukee, but he was likely gone anyway, IMO. If they keep him, Henson can play both C and PF as a backup, rebound (which the Bucks need desperately), score around the rim (love his jump hook), and block shots.

Henson has a chance to go 15/10 a night because the two guards will want to push the ball. And he can fly.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Harkless, who makes no sense in Philly, is drafted by Philadelphia. Iguadola has to be gone. (I'm guessing Sacramento for Evans.) I'd move Turner to SF and bring in Zeller, but it's not my money. Poor choice, IMO.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Houston surprises many with the choice of Royce White. Interesting pick. I think I like it, though he needs to shoot better. Big, strong, good motor.

But who's he going to guard?

I'll wait and see at this point. He could go PF (or even a PPF) or SF. Let's see what they do with their next picks. I'm shocked they didn't pick Zeller.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Zeller goes to Dallas. Good spot for him. Haywood is likely a casualty of this pick, as his salary is going to be amnestied, IMO. Like pairing him with Marion and Nowitzki in the frontcourt. Five Carolina players on Dallas' roster at this point.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Houston picks Terrence Jones from Kentucky. Putting he and Royce White together actually makes all kinds of sense now, as Jones can guard small forwards, while White can move underneath a bit.

He'll need to shoot the ball much better though.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Zeller goes to Dallas. Good spot for him. Haywood is likely a casualty of this pick, as his salary is going to be amnestied, IMO. Like pairing him with Marion and Nowitzki in the frontcourt. Five Carolina players on Dallas' roster at this point.

Reportedly headed to Cleveland for picks 24, 33 and 34. I like Zellar, but that's an overpay.

WMR
06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Better question is how is Royce White going to make it to away games?

Cleveland's trade was dumb.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Cleveland takes rights to Zeller for three lower picks. Not a bad idea for Dallas, as they look like they're going to go ahead and rebuild.

But Cleveland needs bodies. Good, talented bodies.

Don't get the Cav gameplan so far.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
The Nuggets grab the French ex-pat, Evan Fournier. He's very young and, by most respects, a good shooter. Great size and the Nugs can afford to be patient with him.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Boston is on the clock. Sullinger makes so much sense here, as his style of play fits with Boston's. He may make Brandon Bass expendable, depending. of course, what happens with Garnett.

Love this pick, assuming his back is okay.

Having said that, Doc won't let him play much if he can't guard. And he cannot guard anyone.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
The Nuggets grab the French ex-pat, Evan Fournier. He's very young and, by most respects, a good shooter. Great size and the Nugs can afford to be patient with him.

Great " out-of-box-thinking" pick.

Lots of value still on the board. It's been years since I've witnessed a draft this deep.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Great " out-of-box-thinking" pick.

Lots of value still on the board. It's been years since I've witnessed a draft this deep.

No doubt. Lots of talent this past season in the college game.

Unfortunately, most of it went to the NBA this season.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:44 PM
With their second pick, Boston goes with size. Fab Melo WILL play defense. Assuming he can learn how to play man to man. Love the offensive rebounding and the shot blocking, but, at best, he's just a big body. I'm guessing this makes Steisma a marked man in restricted FA rankings.

Dude's going to get paid pretty decently to play big minutes, IMO.

It may also presage the departure of KG, either to another team or retirement.

Shame, as I love KG in Boston.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Perry Jones to Dallas via Cleveland?

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Hawks get a shooter in John Jenkins. Super-quick release, great shooter. Very good size for a SG. This might move Johnson to SF (which makes sense, as he's getting a little older and a step slower, but still has size), or Jenkins could come off the bench for instant offense.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Jared Cunningham to Dallas.

Doesn't shoot well, but plays solid defense. Meh.

I've got three SG ahead of him.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Jenkins has good size for an NBA SG? I don't think so. Slightly below average height and weak.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Jenkins has good size for an NBA SG? I don't think so. Slightly below average height and weak.

Sorry, meant combo guard. He's graded out at 6'4 1/2".

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry, meant combo guard. He's graded out at 6'4 1/2".

Gotcha! I'm not sure I'm buying him as a combo guard in the NBA, however.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Memphis goes with Tony Wroten, whose shot is completely broken. He can pass, he's tall, he can guard okay. Great athlete. Poor decision making at the point and not a great teammate.

Remarkably poor choice by the Grizzlies, IMO. They needed shooters and grabbed the worst shooter in the draft.

Jeffrey Taylor would have been a phenomenal choice, IMO, especially if they're going to deal Rudy Gay, as has been rumored.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Maybe they get rid of OJ Mayo?

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
OMG did the Pacers really just draft Miles Plumlee. :eek:

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM
The Pacers have some splainin' to do. Jones III, Moultrie and Teague were still on the board and the Pacers passed on them. Why?

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Pacers pick Miles Plumlee, who averaged six points a game in the watered down ACC. He's another athletic marvel who can jump out of the gym, but is consistently underwhelming when the lights are on. Apparently, the retirement of Jeff Foster meant the Pacers needed another white guy to sit the bench. He can rebound, but, man, with so much talent on the board, Indy choked.

I've got Moultrie WAY ahead of him. Perry Jones, too.

At best, he's a career backup.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
The Heat can simply pick the best athlete here.

That may be Taylor, who can shoot at SF.

That may be Jones, who can go PF or SF.

That may be Moultrie, who can go power.

That may be PG Teague, who can fly.

(Have I mentioned that I HATE David Stern? He's a butthead.)

Moultrie is a good pick here. Strong, quick, long, and can pick and roll.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Lamb and Teague would have likely helped themselves IMMENSELY by staying. This is the strongest draft in a LONG, LONG time. Lamb and Teague would have been solid first rounders next season just by process of elimination.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Heat trading 27th pick to 76ers, according to Marc J. Spears. Miami will receive a future first round pick and the 45th selection tonight.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Lamb and Teague would have likely helped themselves IMMENSELY by staying. This is the strongest draft in a LONG, LONG time. Lamb and Teague would have been solid first rounders next season just by process of elimination.

That's the way it worked out, for sure.

Though, to be fair, they may be able to glom on to a much better team being drafted lower.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Heat trading 27th pick to 76ers, according to Marc J. Spears. Miami will receive a future first round pick and the 45th selection tonight.

That makes the pick of Harkless a bit better, IMO. Moultrie's going to be a starter in this league. He's got game.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Grats to Teague. Getting that first contract guaranteed is huge. Good team and no pressure to perform early on.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
OKC's pick of Jones is a great choice. Big upside.

He's a great fit behind both Ibaka and Durant.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
OKC's pick of Jones is a great choice. Big upside.

He's a great fit behind both Ibaka and Durant.

Remember when he was a top 5 pick last season??? :eek:

OKC had to be licking their chops when they saw him still available. Smart organization.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Teague is a great fit for Chicago, too. He could play with Rose (when he comes back), but, for now, might even start at PG.

He doesn't get that if he goes back to Kentucky, IMO.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
The Warriors land both Barnes and Ezeli in the first round.

Quite a night for Jerry West and company.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Ezeli isn't bad, but where's he going to play? Backup to Bogut and Biedrins at C and incapable of playing PF.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Second Round

Bobcats pick Jeffrey Taylor.

I'm guessing the 'Cats think he can play SG.

Bobcats working on defending the ball with MKG, Taylor, Biyombo.

Lots of wings, with Gordon and Henderson included.

It's apparent Augustin won't be coming back.

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Ezeli isn't bad, but where's he going to play? Backup to Bogut and Biedrins at C and incapable of playing PF.

Bogut is injury prone and Biedrins? When was the last time he was an effective center, even as a reserve?

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Wizards go to Europe, with Satoransky.

Meh. Why not go ahead and grab a player that can help now, Washington? You're so close!

(To the 8th playoff spot.)

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Wizards are a pathetic organization. What an idiotic pick. GET A DAMN SHOOTER! :lol:

Revering4Blue
06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Up next for the Warriors, Draymond Green.

Bank on it.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice call, Rev.

Good rebounder, good shooter, but undersized for PF.

Might make an interesting backup SF/PF.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Orlando Johnson is the next pick. Fro Sacramento. High volume shooter. Good range. Great arm length.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Quincy Acy, who I like as an energy guy, goes to Toronto.

Ross and Acy isn't a bad haul at all. Very good rebounder, especially on the offensive glass.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Nuggets go back to back with Baylor Quincy's. Miller could be a great find. His knee wasn't quite right last season, but should be better now. He's tall and might fill out into a floating four, a la Orlando's Anderson.

Nuggets continue to pick wisely, IMO.

dabvu2498
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Good job tonight, guys. This is probably the best draft analysis I've seen. Dead serious. Especially for a fringe NBA fan like myself. Fun to hear your guys' thoughts on this stuff.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Portland gets Barton, whom I like a lot (assuming he adds weight). Long range shooter, might be good enough to start as early as next season. Good rebounder. Decent handle.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Tyshawn Taylor apparently goes to Brooklyn.

All three of their fans are upset at the pick.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Doron Lamb goes to Milwaukee.

Nice combo guard for the Bucks to play behind Ellis and Jennings. Instant offense, great defense, very good handle. At this point, Lamb is really underrated.

The Bucks, with Henson and Lamb added to Dalembert, Ellis, Jennings-- there's a lot to like there. If Tobias Harris can blossom a bit (and he's got the talent) or if they can sign Ilyasova, they might be fun to see. Lots of speed, lots of pushing and shooting.

Might need to get to Wisconsin to watch a game. (Or at least go to Indy when they play there.)

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Love the Detroit pick of Kim English. Great shooter, great range, good size. Might be the biggest steal of the Second Round so far.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
New Orleans nabs Darius Miller with their third pick.

Great choice, IMO.

Can shoot, drive, rebound, and pass. Best asset is defensive ability. He's a shut-down defender and can stick in front of anyone from PG to PF.

I could see Miller starting with that team. Henry and Aminu might have something to say about that, as could a free agent. But Miller's a keeper.

They still need size, though.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Boston gets Kris Joseph late in the second round. Good pick, IMO. Good defender. Good shooter. Long and athletic. Small forward might take some minutes away from Pierce (though I think their first inclination is to try to re-sign Green).

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Cavs deal with Dallas is official. Only addition is Azubuike goes to Cleveland with Zeller. Having seen the three draftees from Dallas, I think I'd rather have Zeller and Kelenna Azubuike.

Cleveland's team looks young, but talented:
Irving PG
Waiters SG
Gee/ Casspi SF
Verajao PF
Zeller C

If Tristan Thompson develops, they could be decent as early as next season. Need some depth. Still needs to find shooters. Actually, Kelenna Azubuike might be an answer there. He's a career 41% 3-point shooter coming back from injury.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Looks like Rivers will play combo guard/ point for NOLA. They're looking for scoring.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Finally, I like a Dallas selection-- Darius Johnson-Odom from Marquette. Shooter, solid, good defense.

HotCorner
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Finally, I like a Dallas selection-- Darius Johnson-Odom from Marquette. Shooter, solid, good defense.

Pick is going to the Lakers. They bought it.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
There's still some intriguing talent out there. Machado from Iona, Drew Gooden from New Mexico, Sacre from Gonzaga, Buford from OSU. I like Hummell at this point, too. Kevin Jones from WVU is a good value pick as well.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Pick is going to the Lakers. They bought it.

Well, then.

Nevermind.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Minnesota goes with Hummel. Like the pick. He can shoot both off the dribble and going through screens, good athlete with questionable knees. Productive. Might be a nice guy to have behind Budinger and Wiliams as a SF and as a roaming four behind Love.

Mutaman
06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
If Wes Matthews can play in the NBA, and he can, Jae Crowder can play in the NBA. Just watch.

bucksfan2
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Scrap where there any picks you didn't like?? The NBA Draft is becoming more and more of a crap shoot. Look at all the Freshman who were drafted high as opposed to the Sophomores his season. It seems like teams like the luster but after another season in college that luster sure wears off. The second round is even more of a head scratcher because often times you don't know what the team is doing and the 2nd rounders often have a difficult time sticking.

Minnesota goes with Hummel. Like the pick. He can shoot both off the dribble and going through screens, good athlete with questionable knees. Productive. Might be a nice guy to have behind Budinger and Wiliams as a SF and as a roaming four behind Love.

I was browsing though this thread and saw this. I can't believe a team would draft Hummel. Nice player but he couldn't practice last year at Purdue. When he was on the court you could see his body break down and his game head south when he is on the court for too long. If the guy can't play a 35 game regular season how is he going to handle an 82 game NBA season?

Scrap Irony
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Scrap where there any picks you didn't like??

This is a good year for talent. There's a lot of it out there that can help teams, assuming they work at their craft.

The biggest losers in the draft, IMO, were the Cavs (though I like the addition of Zeller), the Mavericks, and Memphis. (That's of team that could have helped themselves, but drafted poorly.

I don't like any of Dallas' picks. Not one. I think Waiters was picked way too high (though I like his game). Same for Terrence Ross.

I think Myers Leonard is going to get his coach fired sooner rather than later.

Andre Drummond has major question marks, but was a good gamble for Detroit that low.

Kendall Marshall is going to be a bust who will be lucky to make it five years in the league.

The 76er choice of Harkless was a mistake, especially considering they already have two swing guys who play his position, are better than he is, and aren't likely to share their position(s). (Though I like the addition of Moultrie.)

The Rockets, aside from the pick of Lamb, have again chosen power forwards. That's five of them on their roster right now. And none of those five look to be a star, but all are really similar to each other. And none can shoot beyond 15 feet.

Jared Cunningham was an extreme reach who can't shoot.

Wroten is worse. And a bad teammate. And lazy.

Mies Plumlee looks great, but hasn't produced since high school.

I was browsing though this thread and saw this. I can't believe a team would draft Hummel. Nice player but he couldn't practice last year at Purdue. When he was on the court you could see his body break down and his game head south when he is on the court for too long. If the guy can't play a 35 game regular season how is he going to handle an 82 game NBA season?

At 15-20 minutes a night, I'm guessing he can be effective. I'm also guessing that team doctors were pretty thorough in checking him out. As a shooter, he's top notch. He's got decent quickness, especially for a roaming four or a big three. Defensively, he'll need to improve, but that's the way it is with most of these guys. He's got a good handle, too. Limited to part-time duty, Hummel's a great fit.

WMR
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Indiana selecting Miles Plumlee immediately solidified their status as worst draft, IMO.

Scrap Irony
06-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Good point, WMR. Plumlee is the epitome of an Airport All-American. He's got chiseled features, a great body, he can jump out of the gym. He might even be nice to children and the elderly.

But the Pacers picked the wrong guy. Moultrie would have been a great pick. So would have Perry Jones. Ezeli would have been great as well. I had Plumlee behind not only these guys, but Robert Sacre and Kyle O'Quinn too.

I don't know what Bird was thinking, aside from needing a white guy.

WMR
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Yes, taking Plumlee over the first 3 you mentioned is just criminally bad.

Funny joke I heard on another forum...

"Larry Bird keeps trying to draft the next Larry Bird." :lol:

WMR
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Pacers are turning back the clock on their draft strategy...

97 Austin Croshere
96 Mark Pope
95 Fred Hoiberg
94 Eric Piatowski
94 Damon Bailey
93 Scott Haskin

Notice any similarities? :laugh:

bucksfan2
06-29-2012, 03:43 PM
This is a good year for talent. There's a lot of it out there that can help teams, assuming they work at their craft.

The biggest losers in the draft, IMO, were the Cavs (though I like the addition of Zeller), the Mavericks, and Memphis. (That's of team that could have helped themselves, but drafted poorly.

I don't like any of Dallas' picks. Not one. I think Waiters was picked way too high (though I like his game). Same for Terrence Ross.

I think Myers Leonard is going to get his coach fired sooner rather than later.

Andre Drummond has major question marks, but was a good gamble for Detroit that low.

Kendall Marshall is going to be a bust who will be lucky to make it five years in the league.

The 76er choice of Harkless was a mistake, especially considering they already have two swing guys who play his position, are better than he is, and aren't likely to share their position(s). (Though I like the addition of Moultrie.)

The Rockets, aside from the pick of Lamb, have again chosen power forwards. That's five of them on their roster right now. And none of those five look to be a star, but all are really similar to each other. And none can shoot beyond 15 feet.

Jared Cunningham was an extreme reach who can't shoot.

Wroten is worse. And a bad teammate. And lazy.

Mies Plumlee looks great, but hasn't produced since high school.

At 15-20 minutes a night, I'm guessing he can be effective. I'm also guessing that team doctors were pretty thorough in checking him out. As a shooter, he's top notch. He's got decent quickness, especially for a roaming four or a big three. Defensively, he'll need to improve, but that's the way it is with most of these guys. He's got a good handle, too. Limited to part-time duty, Hummel's a great fit.

Fair enough. I have admitted this before and will reiterate it, I don't really watch the NBA. I tough enough predicting a translation to the NBA game if you watch it religously, let alone occasionally. That said here are my college fans thoughts:

Dion Waiters was fantastic at times in college. There were times that he completely took over the game. Shot from deep and took the ball to the rim. When I heard he was rising up draft boards I thought that made sense.

UConn had one of the most disapointing seasons yet had two guys go in the top 12 or so picks. Its troublesome if you can't get motivated to play a big college game. What happens when you "get yours?" Lamb looked fantastic in 2011 but was a shell of that last season.

Marshall, Zeller, Barnes, and Henson played on the same team, great at times, and underachiving at others. I agree Marshall has no business going that high. Henson is raw, Barnes has question marks, and Zeller looks to be an uninspiring player. If I had to make a bet who would be the best player in that class it would be Zeller because I think he has staying power.

Mason Plumlee has no business getting drafted let alone going in the 1st round.

Royce White looked great at times playing on a team that really didn't have many other pieces. Even in the UK game he looked good. I like that value.

Myers Loenard can look great one moment but awful the next. He may get a coach fired but I think he will have a very good career. If he works at it he may be the steal of the draft.

I am interested in seeing how the UK guys translate in the NBA. I want to see how they translate with the opposing team having the same level of talent. Its one of the age old questions were they a combination of good players or were they individually great? Kinda like the Alabama defense from last year. I think Lamb made a mistake in going this year. Jones could have been a lottery pick had he gone back but he also could ahve dropped out of the first round.

Vandy had 3 players go in the first 31 picks. What the heck?!?!?!

Like Jae Crowder think Draymon Green is a college player who won't do anything in the pros. Its cool to see O'Quinn who carried his 15 seed team to a NCAA win get drafted. The Lakers got a C who could play 10 years in the league with the last pick in the draft while the Knicks draft a guy named Kostas Papanikolaou.

Assembly Hall
06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Pacers are turning back the clock on their draft strategy...

Notice any similarities? :laugh:

I about cried when the pick was made.....seriously!!!! He has one thing in common with all of them. But two things in common with only one.....care to take a guess?:D

texasdave
06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/29/nba-draft-grades/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

Draft Grades from CNNSI if anyone is interested.

Revering4Blue
06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/29/nba-draft-grades/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

Draft Grades from CNNSI if anyone is interested.

One of the better draft grade articles out there. Sam Amick's weekly column is quickly becoming a must read for me.

Revering4Blue
06-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Take heart, Pacer fans.

Grade: B- The Pacers are getting killed by most media folks for going with Miles Plumlee at No. 26, but I won't be one of them (I had the Duke center as a late first-round pick in my last two mock drafts). He was a star at a group workout in Minnesota, where all 30 teams attended, and he continued his momentum at the draft combine. He not only has great size and insane athleticism (a workout-best 41-inch vertical leap in Minnesota), but also seems to have untapped potential because of the way he was used at Duke. With Austin Rivers and Seth Curry running the show, players like Plumlee were asked to hit the boards, set screens, defend and not much more. Conveniently enough, the Pacers could always use another big man to do those same things while hoping he evolves into something more. The Pacers also took UCSB shooting guard Orlando Johnson (No. 36, via a trade with Sacramento).

Granted, I don't believe that I would've passed on Jones III or Teague. And, yes, the Pacers may have overreached to fill a need, but here's the bottom line:

If Plumlee truly is Jeff Foster 2.0--remember, MP only played 20 minutes a night for Duke--he was well worth the pick.

Johnson looks like a player to me, even if his selection deviates, much like Danny Granger, Paul George and others, from the Pacers standard "draft strategy."

Assembly Hall
07-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Well I am starting to warm up to it Blue. I heard them talking about the selection on a sports talk show here in my area. They basically said that Coach K's offensive scheme did not involve a big man really touching the ball with getting a shot in mind. It was exactly as you said, setting screens and crashing the boards. Plumlee has an NBA body and the genetics behind him. Hopefully in a few years everyone will be talking about how the Pacers got a steal in the 2012 draft.