PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/31

chicoruiz
05-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Reds:

Ray Olmeido (31) -Still hanging around the game, but good-field-no-hit guys are, unfortunately for Ray, a dime a dozen.

Ray Washburn (74) -A good pitcher for the Cardinals, he moved to Cincinnati in 1970 and instantly doubled his ERA. Trivial fact: he pitched for the home team in both the first game at Busch Stadium and the first game at Riverfront Stadium.

Others:

Jake Peavy (31) -Even after a few off years, he still has the lowest WHIP of any starter in the period from 2004 till the present. At least I think so; the source I read may have meant that his 2004 WHIP was the lowest recorded over the last eight years. At any rate, he was really good a few yeatrs ago and seems to be having a bit of a rebound this season.

Kenny Lofton (45) -He and David Wells share a record; they've each played for six different teams in the postseason...Between 2001 and 2007, Kenny never played for the same team in consecutive seasons...His nephew was a regular on "Deep Space Nine".

Tippy Martinez (62) -On August 24, 1983, The Orioles went into extra innings having depleted their bench by using a number of pinch-hitters. They began the tenth with outfielder Gary Roenicke playing third, OF John Lowenstein at second, and infielder Lenn Sakata catching. Tippy entered the game with a runner on first; he picked that runner off, gave up a walk, picked that runner off, gave up a single, and then picked THAT runner off to end the inning.

Socks Siebold -There's a Socks Seybold who was an outfielder; this is Socks "Seibold". He had a weird career; he came up in 1915 as a shortstop, was converted to pitching, then left the majors in 1919. He kicked around in the minors for a full decade, then made it back to the majors in his mid-30s and pitched fairly well as a starter for a number of years.

Bob Borkowski
05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Kenny Lofton (45) -He and David Wells share a record; they've each played for six different teams in the postseason...Between 2001 and 2007, Kenny never played for the same team in consecutive seasons...His nephew was a regular on "Deep Space Nine".

Lofton considers himself a perfectionist. "I love cleaning. I clean up, wash dishes and make a good bed. I'm pretty neat. I'm a perfectionist. People come to my house and they're like, "Man, do you actually live here?'"