PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Player Draft

bucksfan2
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
From ESPN, out of everyone in baseball who would you draft #1? Top 5?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/24975/24975

1. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies
Considering the lack of top two-way talents at shortstop in the majors right now, this pick made perfect sense. The concerns with Tulo are essentially the same as last year: Durability and the question of how he'd hit away from Coors Field. He played 143 games in 2011 and has missed just three games this season. He did get off to a bit of a slow start this year and had a weird slump with the glove in the season's opening weeks (he already has more errors than all of last season), but he's played much better of late. The Coors question is fair: He has a career .922 OPS at home, .814 on the road, although it wasn't as pronounced in 2011. He's 27, and while personally I can't quite say he's the best player in baseball, I see no reason why he wouldn't go in the top five selections.

2. Evan Longoria, 3B, Rays
Off to a terrific start until his injury, which will drop him to a lower spot this year. That's two significant injuries in two seasons; time to start worrying about his durability?

3. Felix Hernandez, P, Mariners
This was actually my selection in the draft. Normally, I wouldn't advocate taking a pitcher this high -- as you'll see, they come with enormous risk -- but Felix was as safe as pitchers come at the time, a guy with proven success and proven durability. Also, I didn't see an obvious young, up-the-middle player worthy of taking with the No. 3 pick.

4. Joey Votto, 1B, Reds
Nothing wrong with this pick. Votto was coming off his MVP season and while he didn't quite match those numbers in 2011, he's having another monster season in 2012, hitting .321/.460/.595 and on pace for a record 73 doubles.

5. Tim Lincecum, P, Giants

Benihana
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
From ESPN, out of everyone in baseball who would you draft #1? Top 5?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/24975/24975

That was last year's top 5. They are unveiling this year's later today.

Have to think Votto remains in the top 5 and Bruce should appear somewhere in the top 30. Any chance Chapman makes it? Strasburg, Feliz and Pineda were in last year's top 30. Or perhaps Cueto for that matter?

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I would be hard pressed not to take Bryce Harper at #1. Between his age, current skillset and future talent it would be tough to pass on him. I would put Stanton up there as well given his age. Justin Verlander is a bit older, but man, I just love that dudes game.

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Have to think Votto remains in the top 5 and Bruce should appear somewhere in the top 30. Any chance Chapman makes it? Strasburg, Feliz and Pineda were in last year's top 30. Or perhaps Cueto for that matter?

Pineda? Wow. They sure blew that one

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Pineda? Wow. They sure blew that one

Can't predict injuries.

Sea Ray
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Can't predict injuries.

Of course but there were plenty of critical comments made about that trade before Pineda got hurt.

bucksfan2
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM

Yea I know that, just a fun topic to talk about.

Thing is I still don't know how you don't go Tulo again this season. He is the most dominant SS in the game today. It sounds scary but he is one of the throw back SS like Larkin of a decade ago where they had speed, power, and defense.

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Of course but there were plenty of critical comments made about that trade before Pineda got hurt.

Well, he was 27th on their list. It was not a bad call really. At the time he was coming off of a great season as a 22 year old starter in the Major Leagues and was considered healthy.

dougdirt
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
So far:
Kemp
Tulo
Kershaw
Verlander
Longoria
Strasburg
J Upton
Votto
Castro
King Felix
Braun
Harper
Trout
Stanton
Lawrie
McCutchen
Fielder
Hosmer
Zimmerman

MikeThierry
05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm shocked that Miguel Cabrera hasn't been picked up yet. He's just a a year older than Fielder and much better.

Benihana
05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Hosmer goes over Bruce and Chapman? Interesting.

oneupper
05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Josh Hamilton? or is this just under 30?

TOBTTReds
05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
How was Starlin Castro picked in front of Mike Trout or Bryce Harper? That's just silly.

Benihana
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Feliz and Darvish but no Chapman? I guess...

Heyward over Bruce? No chance.

MikeThierry
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
I think what hurts Chapman is that right now he is a closer and he isn't going to be valued as much as Stater or an every day player.

TOBTTReds
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
But wait, there's more...

Rick Sutcliffe picked Jeff Samardzija 26th overall. Oh boy. I'd rather see someone like BA or BP do the picking instead of ESPN. Their "experts" only stretch so far.

Agree with the Heyward comment, and Jonah Keri knows his stuff in general. But he is from Canada...(I kid)