PDA

View Full Version : Watching Todd Coffey

WVRedsFan
06-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Sleepless night, so I'm watching Todd Coffey do what he does. Watching mostly because the Dodgers are on and Vin Scully is announcing. I'd listen to Scully call a rodeo. Dodgers were down 4-1, and Todd comes in, allowed nothing at first and then the big hit and the long ball. His 6+ ERA gets bigger. Just reminded me of the dark days, the choke called by Brantley and how it always seems to go for Todd. Glad we don't have to deal with that anymore. Just saying.

Tom Servo
06-01-2012, 02:23 AM
I like Coffey. :(

WVRedsFan
06-01-2012, 02:24 AM
I like Coffey. :(

Everybody loves somebody sometimes.

Dean Martin - 1964

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Yes, good pitchers are few and far between. That is why you do not make a big-to-do about a guy's choice of a bedmate. Unless that choice is causing you to commit crimes that will cause you to be suspended from the team. And of course it is none of our busines who a man chooses to be by his side. Our concern is that the man can get people out. Our concern is that the man does not give up runs. We of course do not want that man to be hopped up on drugs, stealing and hurting people. But his girl is none of our business.

You see... good (GREAT) pitchers do not grow on trees. Anyone who has followed this team for the last 15 years should know this. Then again how many REDS pitchers grace the walls of the Baseball Hall of Fame (not the REDS Hall of Fame, lol!)? I do not count Seaver and neither should any of you.

Watch Todd Coffey. It should make us all appreciate what the BP is like these days. Especially compared to the days when Todd wore a REDS uniform. And not miss the days of lots of hits and HRS from our wonderful offense... and unfortunately the same (only more) being given up by those guys positioned 60'6" from home plate.

Hollcat
06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I was flipping back and forth and noticed Coffey was pitching (didn't realize he was with the Dodgers). A few minutes later turned back to the game figuring Coffey would give up a couple of runs. Oops, too late he already had.

cumberlandreds
06-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm surprised Coffey is still with the Dodgers. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he looked terrible. He was just coming off the DL but he looked like he had nothing. I can't imagine he will be around much longer.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2012, 01:16 PM
He seemed to do really well for the Brewers. It might've just been part of the year, not sure. But he looked impressive with them I thought.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I liked Todd. He did have a good stint there with the Brew Crew. If the Dodgers have a weakness it might be their bullpen depth.

Edd Roush
06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Looks like Todd has been struggling throwing strikes this year (6.30 BB/9) and has been giving up way too many line drives (25.0%), but let's not forget that Todd has only pitched 10 innings this year.

Todd was very solid for the Nationals last year. I would not write him off yet.

CySeymour
06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, good pitchers are few and far between. That is why you do not make a big-to-do about a guy's choice of a bedmate. Unless that choice is causing you to commit crimes that will cause you to be suspended from the team. And of course it is none of our busines who a man chooses to be by his side. Our concern is that the man can get people out. Our concern is that the man does not give up runs. We of course do not want that man to be hopped up on drugs, stealing and hurting people. But his girl is none of our business.

Ok, I am lost on this. What is this about?

The Operator
06-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Ok, I am lost on this. What is this about?You and me both. I'd love to know exactly what that is referring to.

puca
06-04-2012, 11:11 AM

I can only assume he is referring to Chapman.

Tony Cloninger
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM

He was telling you...or yelling at you to get off his lawn?!

RedFanAlways1966
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Certain posters in this thread think Chapman's GF "issues" need to be addressed. I want to remind them/those that I am not worried about a man's choice of mate (as long as crimes are not committed). I worry more that he throws like Todd Coffey in LA. And thought we should be reminded of our BP that once had many Todd in LA types.

You may not have gotten it, but I know some did. God love Todd Coffey and no slight to him, but I do not miss the days of him sprinting into the game from the bullpen wearing a REDS uniform. I do like many that come out of the REDS bullpen these days.

Tom Servo
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I dunno, I just think there are much better guys to pile blame on than Coffey, who actually had a measure of success with us. Remember Joe Valentine, Ricky Stone, Chris Booker, Ryan Wagner, Rick White, Chris Hammond, Jason Standridge, Gary Majewski, Rheal Cormier, Victor Santos, Kirk Saarloos, and Mike Lincoln? Not to mention the guys in the 'whatever happened to...?' file like Brad Salmon, Jon Coutlangus, Marcus McBeth.

And remember how Elizardo Ramirez was once considered our third best starter? And Josh Fogg started 14 games? I agree with the idea of this thread, but I think the scorn is misdirected.

Crumbley
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I dunno, I just think there are much better guys to pile blame on than Coffey, who actually had a measure of success with us. Remember Joe Valentine, Ricky Stone, Chris Booker, Ryan Wagner, Rick White, Chris Hammond, Jason Standridge, Gary Majewski, Rheal Cormier, Victor Santos, Kirk Saarloos, and Mike Lincoln? Not to mention the guys in the 'whatever happened to...?' file like Brad Salmon, Jon Coutlangus, Marcus McBeth.

And remember how Elizardo Ramirez was once considered our third best starter? And Josh Fogg started 14 games? I agree with the idea of this thread, but I think the scorn is misdirected.
A vomitous series of names. We had a rough decade.

dfs
06-04-2012, 06:53 PM

I remember the lizard, but in all honesty,no, I didn't remember Josh Fogg at all. I think our minds forget things like that as a survival mechanism. Tom is absolutely telling the truth. Josh startet 14 games for the reds in 08. That was the Cory Patterson/Jeremy Affeldt year.

Sea Ray
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I think Todd got the absolute most out of his talent and it's a testament to him that he's been in the bigs for 8 yrs. Let's face it, he never was compared to Homer Bailey. He's made nearly $6mill playing baseball and has qualified for a nice pension. In fact he's even closing in on 10 yrs service time which would max out his pension benefits. Kudos to him

powersackers
06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
You and me both. I'd love to know exactly what that is referring to.

I thought he was referring to the night in Milwaukee, while as a Red, Coffey was arrested for allegedly soliciting a prostitute

Tom Servo
06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I thought he was referring to the night in Milwaukee, while as a Red, Coffey was arrested for allegedly soliciting a prostitute
Well jeez, this is how misinformation spreads. That was Brian Shackelford, and he was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.

Always Red
06-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I think Todd got the absolute most out of his talent and it's a testament to him that he's been in the bigs for 8 yrs. Let's face it, he never was compared to Homer Bailey. He's made nearly $6mill playing baseball and has qualified for a nice pension. In fact he's even closing in on 10 yrs service time which would max out his pension benefits. Kudos to him

Amen, brother/sister. Todd has had a very nice MLB career.

He was drafted in the 41st round, for those who forget.

He's been a huge success, surpassed all expectations.

Here's to Todd Coffey, an underdog fav of mine.

:beerme:

camisadelgolf
06-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Coffey weighed over 300 pounds when he was drafted. The fact that he earned millions as a baseball player is pretty amazing. I want to give credit where credit's due, but his career isn't over yet, so I'll wait until then.

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM

lol, that was one thing we did not have to worry about with upstanding citizen Coffey. My point is that we no longer have "Todd Coffey types" coming into a tight game (game on the line). I give credit to this overweight, late draft pick for earning a great living. However, let's not be foolish and act like Todd Coffey is the guy you trust in a "game on the line" situation. He (no fault of his) was used in that role while wearing our fav team's uniform many times. Have we noticed a change in that BP after many years of fodder (yes, I said it) being put into a tight game? I appreciate what the BP is like these days. I think we all need to be reminded of this year's BP vs. many BPs of the past. You got it good REDS fans. It is mostly about the guy positioned 60'6" from the plate... not so much about the guy holding the wood at the plate.

powersackers
06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Well jeez, this is how misinformation spreads. That was Brian Shackelford, and he was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.

I didn't claim to know the facts and spread misinformation. Just saying what I thought at the time. But thanks for clarifying.