PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Reds article on ESPN

jhu1321
06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/120531tripleplay/dusty-baker-todd-frazier-first-place-cincinnati-reds

Agree with most of what is said?

NJReds
06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Regarding Frazier, I'm not sure why everything has to be measured on whether someone is going to be a star player, or if not they're a bust. Except for the Yankees and Red Sox, most teams that win the World Series aren't fielding an All-Star at every position. Frazier looks like he can provided decent production out of the 3B spot as a replacement for Rolen.

I'd put Left Field and the bench way ahead of Frazier in terms of problems for the Reds.

westofyou
06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Todd Frazier is Aaron Boone 2.0

NJReds
06-01-2012, 09:46 AM

I can live with that.

mace
06-01-2012, 09:59 AM

I think that's a pretty darn good comparison. Boone was probably a little better third baseman, but Frazier is of course more versatile. Both are good personality guys with some power but not high-average tendencies. Both gamers.

RollyInRaleigh
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm liking Frazier a lot more than I'm liking what is in LF.

jhu1321
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm liking Frazier a lot more than I'm liking what is in LF.

I'm encouraged by what Heisey has show as of the last month. IMO he should be given the nod as our everyday starter and keep Ludwick on the bench for spot starts and pinch hitting. .321/.346/.436/.782 in May is more than I would have expected from him after Aprils #'s. If he could manage a few more walks I'd be comfortable with him in the 2 spot.

CySeymour
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not sold on Frasier even getting to Aaron Boone's level, but that isn't really a dis. He certainly isn't Boone's equal with the glove. I think he is fine as long as people aren't expecting All-Star numbers.

I agree with others in that left field is a bigger concern going forward.

Vottomatic
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
The comments about Dusty are dead on.

jhu1321
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
The comments about Dusty are dead on.

YES! :beerme:

REDREAD
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM

I will be thrilled if he ends up being that good.
Not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it.

That said, Frasier has done a good job filling in at 3b. Better than I expected.
I will even say that it seems really smart now to have traded Franscisco and kept Frasier. Hoover has been a great find.

westofyou
06-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I will be thrilled if he ends up being that good.
Not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it.

That said, Frasier has done a good job filling in at 3b. Better than I expected.
I will even say that it seems really smart now to have traded Franscisco and kept Frasier. Hoover has been a great find.

Emerging at the same age, prone to a ba driven ob%, noted gamer, has pop but not insane pop, all around ball player

Boone was a journeyman by age 32, and never had an ops+ above 113

A nice career with a .751 ops in a hitters era, goals that look remarkably attainable

bucksfan2
06-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Emerging at the same age, prone to a ba driven ob%, noted gamer, has pop but not insane pop, all around ball player

A nice career with a .751 ops in a hitters era, goals that look remarkably attainable

Boone screwed everything up by getting injured the season after he became Aaron "bleepin" Boone. Had he not blow out his knee (?) he would have had a nice run of it with the Yanks.

durl
06-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I was surprised at their Dusty comments. "Shocked" may be a better word.

I agree with Vottomatic; their comments were spot-on.

westofyou
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Boone screwed everything up by getting injured the season after he became Aaron "bleepin" Boone. Had he not blow out his knee (?) he would have had a nice run of it with the Yanks.

Nah, they were a ob driven machine they would have fallen in love with a better player, especially since he was RH, that park was not too friendly to them, he would have had some ugly times there is my guess

REDREAD
06-01-2012, 01:22 PM

I agree. It's possible for Frasier to reach that level (although maybe not Boone's level defensively). I would definitely be happy with that.

camisadelgolf
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
You mean the Reds' best 3rd baseman of the past 30 years (no offense to Joe Randa)? All right, I'll take it.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I think Frazier will be a better hitter than Boone, less of a fielder but passable given regular playing time.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Regarding Frazier, I'm not sure why everything has to be measured on whether someone is going to be a star player, or if not they're a bust. Except for the Yankees and Red Sox, most teams that win the World Series aren't fielding an All-Star at every position. Frazier looks like he can provided decent production out of the 3B spot as a replacement for Rolen.

I'd put Left Field and the bench way ahead of Frazier in terms of problems for the Reds.

I agree 100%. I'll buy Frazier as a regular third baseman with a decent steady career over the next few seasons. Not every guy has to be a stud to be valuable. If Todd gives the Reds league average play at third until Rodriguez and/or Vidal are ready to compete for the position then he's valuable as heck. Seems every pundit wants to make it a case for every player being either a superstar or else he's a bust.

mth123
06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
For me, Frazier is the IF version of Jonny Gomes. Lefty killer. Can hit righties during a hot stretch but will struggle with an OBP near or below .300 most of the time. Is passable at 3B but would definitely be considered well below average defensively.

Ideally, I'd rather see the Reds address 3B with somebody else and let Frazier be the RH half a platoon in LF with occassional starts against RH (possibly at the other corner spots) when he's hot or other players need time off. Right now he's clearly the best 3B option they have so he plays there.

Big Klu
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM
You mean the Reds' best 3rd baseman of the past 30 years (no offense to Joe Randa)? All right, I'll take it.

What about Chris Sabo?

camisadelgolf
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
What about Chris Sabo?
Oops. Typo. I meant 20 years.

traderumor
06-01-2012, 11:03 PM
The comments about Dusty are dead on.Seriously, that is WLW Sportstalk level criticism (or ESPN). They pretty much hit each myth that keeps getting posted around here enough times that people think their much typing of the same thing will somehow make it true.