PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline & the new CBA

redsmetz
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Ken Rosenthal has a piece on the possible effects of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the trade deadline. Thanks to mlbtraderumors.com for pointing me to this article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-rules-of-labor-agreement-could-alter-dynamics-of-trade-deadline-053112

Dan
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
But the vast majority would not, bringing their teams zero return.

Thus, the incentive for trading such players – and in particular, relievers worth far less than $12 million – never has been higher. Several GMs, though, believe that the allure of a postseason berth will lead to fewer deals than in years past.

I wonder if that means the price for those players will be lower than in the past. Would the Giants take 2 A+ pitchers for Cabrera rather than demanding a near-ready prospect, for instance?

redsmetz
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I think another thing that will impact any possible trades is that clubs that receive tentative free agents will not receive compensation should they not sign that player. Only players who are with a club the entire season qualify the team for compensation (assuming they're tendered an offer).

Here's a slideshow outlining the upcoming changes, for the purposes of this conversation:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/953571-mlb-offseason-2012-breaking-down-the-new-collective-bargaining-agreement

REDREAD
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think the draft picks change is going to impact the trade deadline at all.

Milwaukee would surely trade for Sabathia even if they didn't get comp picks.

However, recently... I think it was the Blue Jays that were shopping Downs, and they demanded a premium return because he was a type A FA.. As I recall, that negotiating tactic did not work, and he was not traded. That's only one isolated example, but perhaps the draft pick compensation was actually inhibiting trades, since a club could hold a pending FA for draft picks. If anything, I think the mindset of "Might as well get something for him" might take over and make trades easier.

RedlegJake
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't think it will have a significant effect on trades. If you are going for a pennant, that is why you are trading for a player. If you're out of it and hope to add a couple decent prospects for the future and perhaps lower your payroll - that is why you trade. This will impact maybe one deal in a dozen.