edabbs44
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Look out Mets fans.

The Operator
06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Against The Cardinals, no less.

MikeThierry
06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Never thought I would say this but I'm rooting for him to do it.

westofyou
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
The sole franchise without

Playadlc
06-01-2012, 10:39 PM
This on anywhere?

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Just saw the break the mets got on a blown call earlier in the game on a would-be double down the line by Beltran. Wow, I'm guessing that ump is rooting for a hit.

George Anderson
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
The sole franchise without

Yea i was thinking the same.

Big Klu
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
This on anywhere?

MLB Network just cut in.

MikeThierry
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Just saw the break the mets got on a blown call earlier in the game on a would-be double down the line by Beltran. Wow, I'm guessing that ump is rooting for a hit.

Yep, the ball mark is still there.

klw
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
This on anywhere?

I imagine MLBnetwork and mlb.com will show the ninth. I noticed mlb.com had a live look in w=during the 7th

RedsManRick
Never thought I would say this but I'm rooting for him to do it.

Well, it would be a Cardinals loss.

LoganBuck

LoganBuck
06-01-2012, 10:46 PM

LoganBuck
06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
131 pitches so far

Playadlc
1 strike away.

LoganBuck
No Hitter! Swinging K!

RedsManRick
06-01-2012, 10:50 PM

CrackerJack
Nice.

RedsBaron
Hard to believe it is the first no-hitter in Mets history. :thumbup:

LoganBuck
134 pitches on that shoulder, my fantasy teams are ecstatic but worried.

RedsManRick
06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Great to see it happen for Santana. Always has seemed like a good dude and its easy to forget he was the best pitcher in baseball for a few years.

Joseph
06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Finally for the Mets. Hard to believe with Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver and Doc Gooden and Paul Wilson....err scratch that one....still hard to believe this is the first.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Do padres have a no-hitter?

MikeThierry
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Well, it would be a Cardinals loss.

I couldn't care less when baseball history is at stake. That was awesome to watch and I was fist pumping when he struck out Freese.

MikeThierry
06-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Do padres have a no-hitter?

No

LoganBuck
06-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I couldn't care less when baseball history is at stake. That was awesome to watch and I was fist pumping when he struck out Freese.

Agree, no hitters are fun. Doesn't matter when you see it, you have to respect it.

edabbs44
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
It's amazing how no one complains about the umpiring when a botched call helps a no no. :)

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2012, 11:03 PM
It's amazing how no one complains about the umpiring when a botched call helps a no no. :)

It was a terrible call.

MikeThierry
06-01-2012, 11:07 PM

No question it was a terrible call but I'm not going to get bent up over it considering that the game was kind of out of hand at that point for the Cards.

DGullett35
06-01-2012, 11:08 PM
It was a terrible call. You could see the ball mark on the chalk. O well. a couple years from now, there will be replay for everything

thatcoolguy_22
06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
It was a terrible call.

Reverse karma for the Galarraga perfect game.

WVRedsFan
06-02-2012, 02:04 AM
So that no-no gets an asterisk on a blown call. Is it just me or is the no hitter becoming more common? Seems like it happens more often these days.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-02-2012, 03:01 AM
So that no-no gets an asterisk on a blown call. Is it just me or is the no hitter becoming more common? Seems like it happens more often these days.

It's not nearly as special as it once was. And it's nowhere near what the cycle is. How many cycles have there been in the last 20 years? We've already had three no-no's this season and the kids aren't even out of school yet. :sleep:

RedlegJake
06-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Naw. No hitters seem to go in cycles.

AtomicDumpling
06-02-2012, 06:02 AM
It's not nearly as special as it once was. And it's nowhere near what the cycle is. How many cycles have there been in the last 20 years? We've already had three no-no's this season and the kids aren't even out of school yet. :sleep:

Cycles may be rare but they are not nearly as awesome a display of skill as a no-hitter is in my opinion.

There have been 293 cycles and 275 no-hitters in MLB history.

Dan
06-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Go back and look at all the no hitters from 1988 to 1992. Seemed like everyone was getting them back then.

DGullett35
06-02-2012, 07:37 AM
That was the first no-hitter/perfect game in the National League since Halladay's vs. us in 2010.

Bob Borkowski
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
That was the first no-hitter/perfect game in the National League since Halladay's vs. us in 2010.

...and I think I read that this is the first time the Cards have been no-hit since 1990.

Slyder
06-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Amazing what a little drug testing will do for a sport. How many no no's were there during the steroid years? 1 maybe 2 per year?

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
...and I think I read that this is the first time the Cards have been no-hit since 1990.

Yep. Fernando Valenzuela no hit us that day.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Yep. Fernando Valenzuela no hit us that day.

I still hate the Dodgers, but that pudgy Mexican sure was fun to watch. *where's that rolling eyes emoticon....it'd be PERFECT here* :O)

cumberlandreds
06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Another case for replay. I don't how that umpire could miss that. There was even an indentation in the line. If you had replay the Mets would still be looking fro their first no hitter. Also everyone else was saying the Padres do not have a no hitter to their credit. Maybe everyone else was wrong and they do have one. :confused:
Oh well congrats to Santana. It was still kinda spine tingling to watch.

redsmetz
06-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Another case for replay. I don't how that umpire could miss that. There was even an indentation in the line. If you had replay the Mets would still be looking fro their first no hitter. Also everyone else was saying the Padres do not have a no hitter to their credit. Maybe everyone else was wrong and they do have one. :confused:
Oh well congrats to Santana. It was still kinda spine tingling to watch.

It was interesting to me. I'm not a fan of excessive replay, not generally afraid of the occasional rare error. But I have to say it wasn't until the 4th replay that I saw anything that looked like it hit the line (and that final one seemed fairly definitive). And, of course, those are all slow motion replays (yes, I know that speaks to allowing replays), but frankly it's pretty amazing how often calls are correct on lightning fast action. Missed calls are part of the game and have been since it's beginning. Games are long enough without running off to the booth to get it absolutely, perfectly right.

cumberlandreds
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
It was interesting to me. I'm not a fan of excessive replay, not generally afraid of the occasional rare error. But I have to say it wasn't until the 4th replay that I saw anything that looked like it hit the line (and that final one seemed fairly definitive). And, of course, those are all slow motion replays (yes, I know that speaks to allowing replays), but frankly it's pretty amazing how often calls are correct on lightning fast action. Missed calls are part of the game and have been since it's beginning. Games are long enough without running off to the booth to get it absolutely, perfectly right.

I agree 98% calls are correct. They do a very good job overall. But I like seeing the calls be correct and if you have the technology to correct them why not use it? Just because its always been part of the game doesn't mean its the right way to do things. Up until recent years you didn't have the proper technology to reverse any or very many calls. Now you do. Also it wouldn't take very little time to look at one these on replay. Just have a replay umpire in the booth like collge football does. He could buzz down to the crew chief that they are reveiwing. Then call him back with the result. Most times these things have long arguments that take longer than a review would. I guess we would miss the entertainment of the argument. No more Sweet Lou base throwing or Earl Waever antics. But I can live without that.

dougdirt
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Johan Santana got bad news today. Tore something in his shoulder. Again. He threw 134 pitches in his no hitter. He pitched in 10 games after that before heading to the DL. His ERA was over 8.00 in those 10 games.

Fangarphs has up an article today on Santana (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/bidding-farewell-to-johan-santana/) and has this interesting note in it though:

Looking back, Santana was probably never long for this world. As Jeff Zimmerman has noted time and again, previous injuries are the best predictor of future injuries, and coming into 2012 Santana had plenty of previous injuries. But using Jeff’s Pitcher Inconsistency Tool (see explanation at the bottom of this article), we can see that Santana’s Zone % was off all year, but that his inconsistency especially spiked not in his no-hitter on June 1, but in his eight-inning shutout effort five starts later on June 30. Jeff estimates that in his last 10 fastballs on that day, his velocity had a 5 mph range, and that — assuming his foot was the same spot on the rubber — his release point varied by half a foot both horizontally and vertically. In his subsequent five starts, Santana would allow 33 runs in 19 innings. They will likely be the final 19 innings of his career. There’s a lesson here, and that it’s not wise to be slavish to pitch counts. Santana only tossed 107 pitches on June 30, well within the normally accepted range of pitches for a starter these days. But on that day it was clearly too many. Perhaps it was only a matter of time, but with better in-game management from Terry Collins and his staff, I might not be writing this article today.

MikeThierry
03-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Doug, I appreciate the amount of win you show by bringing up this old thread. :)

westofyou
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Heard Verducci on the radio today, he said that this could have played into it, but that Santana was always a time bomb as well because his motion was unusual, he cited Tommy Greene as having the same throwing motion and a history of issues because of it as well.

dougdirt
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Heard Verducci on the radio today, he said that this could have played into it, but that Santana was always a time bomb as well because his motion was unusual, he cited Tommy Greene as having the same throwing motion and a history of issues because of it as well.

Certainly. It does beg the question though, guys who has "unusual motions", should they be throwing 130 pitches in a game regardless of what is on the line?

westofyou
03-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Certainly. It does beg the question though, guys who has "unusual motions", should they be throwing 130 pitches in a game regardless of what is on the line?

Probably not, but the game is made up of in the moment moments and that can cloud one's vision for sure. Sometimes the dragon and the knight both get slayed and the songs just celebrate the death of the dragon.

HometownHero
03-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Letting him go so hard for that no-hitter was dumb at the time and even worse now he's hurt his shoulder again. He came off a CG shutout the game before the NO-NO where he only threw 96 offical pitches in game but had to go out there 9 times to warm up making his his highest total workload in his return then following that up with 134 in another 9 innings of warming up between innings with most of the back half of the game coming under high stress.

Its nice he got the first one in their franchise history but somethings you need to protect your fragile major investment. The Odd/Funny/Sad thing is it shouldn't have even been a No-Hitter and if the Ump got the ball he called foul right they could have pulled him in the 6th.

Missed foul ball video
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21935393&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_21935393&v=3

edabbs44
03-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Impossible to pinpoint what caused the injury however it seems to be forgotten that the Mets still could've had a no hitter if they took Johan out. For some reason this anomaly held a lot of importance in this region and I think they kept him in for that very reason.

Sure it isn't the "same" if it is a multi pitcher no-no, but it still gets the monkey off your back.