PDA

View Full Version : The Cards Aren't Just a Particularly Fun Team to Watch, Are They?

PuffyPig
06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, at least for the Card fans, and those on RedsZone who pretend to be Reds fans, but have disappeared, more or less, since the Reds took over the Central lead.

I'm personally finding the Cards a blast to watch.

I hope it continues for awhile, but baseball being what it is, the worm will eventually turn.

Nasty_Boy
06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Well, at least for the Card fans, and those on RedsZone who pretend to be Reds fans, but have disappeared, more or less, since the Reds took over the Central lead.

I hope it continues for awhile, but baseball being what it is, the worm will eventually turn.

:thumbup:

DGullett35
06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
They will get hot again but it sure is nice to see them struggle right now.

Raisor
06-03-2012, 11:33 PM
How about those Mets?

MikeThierry
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
What... I was busy watching the season finale of Game of Thrones. You're telling me a game was on?

That's essentially the sentiment right now in Cardinals nation. I have heard many fans say that this is the most bored they have been watching the Cards in years. Just a lifeless team right now. No answers, no fun, no cotton candy, nothing! GAHHHH!!@!!!!@#$HJkl'fj;lasidfjklasdfsd; (almost broke keyboard).

PuffyPig
06-03-2012, 11:40 PM
What... I was busy watching the season finale of Game of Thrones. You're telling me a game was on?

I keep forgetting that you only watch when the Cards are winning....

MikeThierry
06-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I keep forgetting that you only watch when the Cards are winning....

I was just kidding dude. If you're going to question me about my medical issues again, let me get my records scanned into the computer so I can send them to you.

Anyway, I think I found a solution:

Seinfeld:Polyester to Cotton - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFbknzeVNM)

I think he could also help out with the Cardinals hitting woes:

George Costanza likes to give advice to the New York Yankees - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX05JZ4FisE&feature=related)

MikeThierry
06-03-2012, 11:49 PM
They score a run!!!!!! My gods in heaven they score a bloody run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! (pulls remaining hair out).

PuffyPig
06-03-2012, 11:58 PM
The Cards don't have hitting woes, it's the pitching.

They haven't hit for 3 days; they haven't pitched well since an extremely lucky April BABIP made guys like Westbrook, Lohse etc. appear to be the Aces they ain't.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2012, 11:58 PM

Puffy....LOL....this is just mean. Funny, but mean. :O)

I'm loving the fact that the Reds are playing better. I'm loving the fact that the Cards are reverting to what I thought they were. But to the Cards fans here (Mike & Matty mainly), I appreciate everything they bring to the forums. And I think they handle themselves with class and dignity. I hope we as a group do the same.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to hide my happiness at the way things are going. :O) Go Redlegs!!!!

PuffyPig
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Puffy....LOL....this is just mean. Funny, but mean. :O)

I'm loving the fact that the Reds are playing better. I'm loving the fact that the Cards are reverting to what I thought they were. But to the Cards fans here (Mike & Matty mainly), I appreciate everything they bring to the forums. And I think they handle themselves with class and dignity. I hope we as a group do the same.

This was never intended to be a shot at the Cards fans here....

_Sir_Charles_
06-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I know. I just don't want it to turn INTO one. Sorry if it sounded like I was implying that.

And I just looked at the standings...if the Cards do lose this one, they fall behind the SECOND place Pirates!

~edit~ And with that, the Cards are looking UP at the Pirates. :O) I highly suggest we NOT take the Buccos for granted. Their pitching is LEGIT.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Raise the Jolly Roger!!!!! haha haven't said that in... well... forever :D

The Operator
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
~edit~ And with that, the Cards are looking UP at the Pirates. :O) I highly suggest we NOT take the Buccos for granted. Their pitching is LEGIT.As with last year, I'm gonna need to see The Pirates at least break even on run differential before I start to take them seriously. Right now they're at -26. You can have the best pitching in the world (and you are right that theirs is excellent) but if you can't score at least 1 run you can't win.

So we will see. If they make a trade for a bat or have a prospect come on the scene, they could be dangerous. But for now, their run differential is keeping me from losing any sleep worrying about them. The Cardinals will always be the team I worry about, until they're mathematically eliminated.

Tom Servo
06-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm just not buying the Pirates. They may finally reach .500 at the end of the year, but a division winner...no way.

Patrick Bateman
06-04-2012, 01:15 AM

That's essentially the sentiment right now in Cardinals nation. I have heard many fans say that this is the most bored they have been watching the Cards in years. Just a lifeless team right now. No answers, no fun, no cotton candy, nothing! GAHHHH!!@!!!!@#$HJkl'fj;lasidfjklasdfsd; (almost broke keyboard).

No offense, but I remember similar posts from you last year.

The Cards are struggling, but no worse than times last year. Baseball can be funny masking even good teams by struggling for long periods of times. I just will never understand the sentiment of being bored by virtually the same team than won the WS last year.

Ghosts of 1990
06-04-2012, 01:38 AM

The Cards are struggling, but no worse than times last year. Baseball can be funny masking even good teams by struggling for long periods of times. I just will never understand the sentiment of being bored by virtually the same team than won the WS last year.

True.

But it will be tough to get that degree of magic they fell upon last season two years in a row. The Baseball Gods don't work that way ;)

WVRedsFan
06-04-2012, 02:21 AM

The Cards are struggling, but no worse than times last year. Baseball can be funny masking even good teams by struggling for long periods of times. I just will never understand the sentiment of being bored by virtually the same team than won the WS last year.I guess it's tough to keep interested when you've had so much success over the years. I wouldn't know, so I guess.

The baseball season is a marathon, as I have been told so many times. Things ebb and flow. The Reds look down on a new second place team tonight--the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates that most everyone wrote off ten seasons ago, but there they are only three games back, the team that took two of three against us not too long ago. the Cardinals are a half game behind them, but they will rise and the Reds will have to fight hard against both teams to win the division. That's what makes baseball so interesting. When you play 162 games, anything can happen. that's why you watch every night. I look forward to it.

RedlegJake
06-04-2012, 02:47 AM
It's a joy to watch the Cards trip a little but they'll still be our competition in August and September. The Pirates are a hot mirage, maybe more of one than the Astros. I like some of the 'Stros young talent a lot. They just need more pieces. The Brewers and Cubs are a mess. Yep. The Cards are about it and they'll turn it around but they won't play like April again this season either.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 03:19 AM

I'm just sharing the sentiment from a lot of people I talk to who are Cards fans. I'll still watch them though.

I think all fan bases go through this sort of thing when this team is losing badly. I remember a thread in here early in the season about how it's not a particularly fun Reds team to watch. That has obviously changed for you guys.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-04-2012, 03:28 AM

Maybe this is the turned worm from their ridiculous run of good fortune the first month of the season, and all of last year.

Hopefully, it's just the beginning. Two weeks of bad baseball isn't nearly enough to make up for the 777 pots of gold surrounded by leprechauns dancing in fields of four-leaf clovers with shooting stars overhead and horseshoes and rabbits feet and lady bugs and rainbows and wishbones and acorns and heads-up pennies and genies in bottles everywhere in their path last year.

nate
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
We should have one of these threads for every team in ever sport!

"Manchester United just aren't a particularly fun team to watch, are they?"

:cool:

CySeymour
06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Cards will be in the race the whole season. So will the Reds! Should be a lot of fun the rest of the way.

westofyou
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I know. I just don't want it to turn INTO one. Sorry if it sounded like I was implying that.

And I just looked at the standings...if the Cards do lose this one, they fall behind the SECOND place Pirates!

~edit~ And with that, the Cards are looking UP at the Pirates. :O) I highly suggest we NOT take the Buccos for granted. Their pitching is LEGIT.

Is this a post from last year? You sang the same tune if I recall

Pirates might have passable pitching but their offense won't be driving them anywhere special

PuffyPig
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
We are in first place, 3.5 games ahead of the 2nd place Cards.

The Pirates aren't going to win the division. I don't even count where they stand.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Looking at some of the advanced stats, the Cards have been kind of unlucky this month as well. While I admit that the starting pitching was very lucky the first month, they have gone to the other extreme to very unlucky. Their starting pitching BABIP for the past 30 days is .333. Their ERA for the past 30 days has been 4.90 but their FIP in the same time frame is a 3.73.

However, all of their bullpen stats have been bad. To me, that has been the biggest reason why they have gone into a free fall. Not having Lynn in the bullpen has really hurt the depth there, which was strong at the end of last season.

Edskin
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
The division is putrid. As bad as I've ever seen. In general I view this Reds team as an 81-84 win type of squad. But I think we will wind up with around 88-90 wins due I large part to the awfulness of the Central. It's fine with me, I'll take it. But I'm under no illusions that our road would be much tougher if we played anywhere but where we play.

_Sir_Charles_
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Is this a post from last year? You sang the same tune if I recall

Pirates might have passable pitching but their offense won't be driving them anywhere special

Yes I did. I was surprised that their hitting didn't pick up. Their pitching regressed as I thought it would (it's better this season and I don't expect it to drop off much). I still feel that some of their hitters are underperforming. I think they'll be better than people think.

We'll still run away with the division...and I still think it'll be the Cards in 3rd behind the Pirates. (I don't think anybody expected the Brewers to be like this)

PuffyPig
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Looking at some of the advanced stats, the Cards have been kind of unlucky this month as well. While I admit that the starting pitching was very lucky the first month, they have gone to the other extreme to very unlucky. Their starting pitching BABIP for the past 30 days is .333. Their ERA for the past 30 days has been 4.90 but their FIP in the same time frame is a 3.73.

However, all of their bullpen stats have been bad. To me, that has been the biggest reason why they have gone into a free fall. Not having Lynn in the bullpen has really hurt the depth there, which was strong at the end of last season.

THis is one case where the extereme luck of the Cards in the first month has been perfectly balanced out with equally bad luck in May.

The truth likely falls in the middle. The Cards will likely regroup and they and the Reds should battle all year.

As usual health will play a large part in determining who wins.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
THis is one case where the extereme luck of the Cards in the first month has been perfectly balanced out with equally bad luck in May.

The truth likely falls in the middle. The Cards will likely regroup and they and the Reds should battle all year.

As usual health will play a large part in determining who wins.

Very true. It's not surprising, to me at least, that since Jon Jay has been injured, the Cards started this slide. Not only was he a very good bat in the lineup, he was arguably one of the best defensive CFers in the game the day he went out. There have been some balls that have dropped in for hits that were normally caught by Jay and the Cardinals are lacking that up the middle defensive presence he brought on a daily basis. I would have never though that the Cardinals losing Matt Carpenter due to injury would have as drastic of an impact as it's having as well. I'm personally shocked that a good number of these injuries are happening to younger players instead of the Beltran/Furcal's of the world.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Speaking of Matt Carpenter, I was looking at his stats to see what he did for the Cardinals in pinch hitting situations and something struck me as odd. Take a look at this stat line:

.300 BA, .250 OBP, .600 SLG, .850 OPS

How can he have a batting average higher than his OBP? What's the deal with that? Is that a typo on the part of Baseball-Reference?

traderumor
06-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Speaking of Matt Carpenter, I was looking at his stats to see what he did for the Cardinals in pinch hitting situations and something struck me as odd. Take a look at this stat line:

How can he have a batting average higher than his OBP? What's the deal with that? Is that a typo on the part of Baseball-Reference?Probably sacrifice flies involved. They don't count against BA, but would reduce OBP.

pahster
06-04-2012, 08:26 PM

How can he have a batting average higher than his OBP? What's the deal with that? Is that a typo on the part of Baseball-Reference?

Sacrifices flies count for OBP.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
ahh, makes sense

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Tonight, the Reds have an excellent chance to increase their lead on the Cards. Bud Norris is pitching tonight and when this guy faces the Cards, he becomes a mixture of Don Drysdale, Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, and Bob Gibson in thier prime. He is 7-2 with a 2.17 ERA against the Cards in his career. It makes no sense as to why a mediocre pitcher has stumped the Cards for about 3 or 4 years now. I expect a loss tonight.

PuffyPig
06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Tonight, the Reds have an excellent chance to increase their lead on the Cards. Bud Norris is pitching tonight and when this guy faces the Cards, he becomes a mixture of Don Drysdale, Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, and Bob Gibson in thier prime. He is 7-2 with a 2.17 ERA against the Cards in his career. It makes no sense as to why a mediocre pitcher has stumped the Cards for about 3 or 4 years now. I expect a loss tonight.

I think Bud Norris is a pretty good pitcher right now.

Of course, that doesn't explain why he routinely beat them when he wasn't.

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I think Bud Norris is a pretty good pitcher right now.

Of course, that doesn't explain why he routinely beat them when he wasn't.

It's amazing how bad the Cards have looked against him. Pujols even nick named him "Chuck" Norris.

Sea Ray
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm just not buying the Pirates. They may finally reach .500 at the end of the year, but a division winner...no way.

In looking at the Pythags, I'd agree that the Cards have been unlucky and the Pirates seem to be playing over their heads. The Reds are about where they should be according to their Pythag but the Cards should be 33-24 and the Pirates 24-31. That's quite a swing.

Suffice to say I'm more worried about the Cards than the Pirates at this point and I'm not writing off the Brewers yet either.

Chip R
06-07-2012, 12:02 PM
In looking at the Pythags, I'd agree that the Cards have been unlucky and the Pirates seem to be playing over their heads. The Reds are about where they should be according to their Pythag but the Cards should be 33-24 and the Pirates 24-31. That's quite a swing.

Suffice to say I'm more worried about the Cards than the Pirates at this point and I'm not writing off the Brewers yet either.

I totally agree. It's funny but you could put the name of any "contending" team in this division in the header of the thread and it would be accurate. None of these teams are particularly joyful to watch.

The Pirates and Reds lineups seem quite similar. A lot of .250 - give or take .030 points guys around one big stick. The pitching has been pretty much the highlight for both teams.

DGullett35
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
The one thing that separates the Reds from the rest of the division is their bullpen. probably best in the bigs if not top 2 or 3. If the offense could get an upgrade or take off like we all have thought they already would have this team could put some distance between themselves and St. Louis. I feel as though the Cards will get hot again and the Reds will have their slump at some point. These two teams will battle all summer. I really believe however that one of the 2 could grab a wild card spot if need be.

MikeThierry
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
The one thing that separates the Reds from the rest of the division is their bullpen. probably best in the bigs if not top 2 or 3. If the offense could get an upgrade or take off like we all have thought they already would have this team could put some distance between themselves and St. Louis. I feel as though the Cards will get hot again and the Reds will have their slump at some point. These two teams will battle all summer. I really believe however that one of the 2 could grab a wild card spot if need be.

I totally agree with this. While the Cards starting pitching hasn't been that great, it has still been good enough to get wins because the offense continues to produce for the Cardinals. The Cardinals bullpen cannot hold one run leads or keep them in the game down by a run. I was astonished and shocked last night that the Cards bullpen was able to hold the Astros scoreless after the 7th inning. I have a feeling the Cards are going to be making some moves soon to fix this situation. They have the money and the chips to do it. I also wouldn't be shocked to see them call up Shelby Miller or Trevor Rosenthal (who is sickening in his nastiness) to fix this situation as well.

MikeThierry
06-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I thought I would share this article by Bernie Miklasz. It's about the death of Jack Buck and Darryl Kile in the same week a decade ago this weekend. This was shocking (still is). 2002 was also, in my opinion, TLR's best managerial job of his 30+ years. Bernie does a pretty good job of putting things in perspective 10 years later.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/out-of-tragedy-the-cardinals-found-inspiration/article_c7e3ce56-71c6-53fa-85a6-eca09a079e25.html